PDA

View Full Version : Ozuna's background.

hose
05-08-2005, 11:46 AM
With the help of a Sox media guide it's time to take a closer look at Paublo.

Born August 25, 1974 , 5-10 185 opening day age 30.

Ozuna was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals 4-8-1996.

1997- named to the Appalachian League All-Star team, he batted .323 w/23 sb.

1998- played entire year w/Peoria and led the league in hitting .357 and 62 sb.
Cited by BA as the best batting prospect, best defensive shortstop, and most exciting player in the Midwest League. Also named to Class A all-star team, earned MWL Player of the Year honor, led all minor leaguers in hits with 192, tied for second in average,.357, and runs scored, 122. Earned TOPPS Minor League Player of the Year. Became first player in franchise history to post two 5 hit games in one season
...was traded to Florida on 12/14/98 with Brandon Looper and Armando Almaza for Edgar Renteria.

1999- spent first season w/ Marlins at Portland... was chosen by BA as the #1 prospect in the Midwest League, the 4th best prospect in the Marlins organization. Batted .281 w/ 31 sb.

2000- Ranked fifth in the Eastern League with 35 stolen bases and seventh in average with a .308 at Class AA Portland, named to the EL postseason All-Star team. Hit safely in 14 straight games, from 4/10-5/13 going 21for 59, .356.
Made ML debut against the Phillies on 4/23 getting a hit off Robert Person. Recorded 3 hits off the Phillies 9/30

2001- MISSED ENTIRE SEASON after undergoing left wrist surgery on 4/30. ...was diagnosed with a TFCC tear (tendon/cartilage complex in the wrist) .
he hit .301 in the Dominican Winter League.

2002- hit .326 for Calgary in 77 games , .277 for the Marlins in 47 at bats.
was traded on 11/18/02 along with Vic Darensboug, Charles Johnson, and Preston Wilson to Colorado for Mike Hampton and Juan Pierre along with cash.

2003- Opened the season on Colorado's DL after straining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee ...made two rehab appearances with Class A Visalia was reinstated from the DL and optioned to Tulsa on 6/6 ...was promoted to Class AAA , was re-called by Colorado on 8/19 and got into 17 games with 40 ab.

2004- signed by Detroit as a free agent on 1-9-04 and traded to Philadelphia for future considerations on 3-27-04. played entire year at Class AAA Scranton-Wilkes Barre hit .307 in 472 ab with 31 sb. ...led the Barons in hits, rbi, tied the league lead with 11 sacrifices and second in average and runs scored.
played for Estrellas in the Dominican Winter League hitting .344 with 24 sb...led the DWL in steals and ranked second in average....was signed by the White Sox as free agent on 12/20...reccomended by Bill Scherrer and Doug Laumann.

If Paublo doesn't have any set backs from getting hit on the wrist in Oakland then he should be able to hold down the role of a utility infielder.

I think this guy has all the talent in the world when he is healthy and will prove to be able to perform at the ML level.

DickAllen72
05-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks for posting this info on Pablo.

Pablo has proven to be a good hitter and base stealer everywhere he has played. It seems that injuries are the only reason he has not made it as a starter in the Major Leagues.

A good pickup by KW and someone who should definitely be around here for a long time.

hose
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for posting this info on Pablo.

Pablo has proven to be a good hitter and base stealer everywhere he has played. It seems that injuries are the only reason he has not made it as a starter in the Major Leagues.

A good pickup by KW and someone who should definitely be around here for a long time.

KW has a keen eye for guys like Paublo who might not be able to play every day but are very valuable reserves. Look at how Widger is contributing as a back up to AJ as further proof.

Of course Loiaza was the best example of KW's uncanny ability of
seeing something in a player that others don't and giving him a chance to perform.

Black Sox
05-08-2005, 04:25 PM
He's become one of my favorite players on the team. That day he slid into first base to get an infield hit is what told me this is my kind of guy.

Nard
05-08-2005, 04:26 PM
2005- Described by Harold Reynolds as a kid just brimming with pot-ten-tial.

hose
05-08-2005, 06:33 PM

With Lopez getting the start today I wonder if Paublo is still ailing from the hbp in Oakland?...sure sounds like it.:(:

Chisox003
05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Wait wait wait...Theres a U in his name??

And all this time I thought it was PABLO...

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 07:04 PM

30 years old isn't exactely a 'kid'. Besides that, I hope Harold is right.

jortafan
05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I remember first seeing Pablo play when he was with Peoria in 1998. I thought he was one of the most exciting ballplayers I ever saw, and to me the only shock is that it took him so long to find a major league team to catch on with.

I'm glad it's our Sox. And while I realize he's not some future hall of famer, it would be nice to see him hang around for awhile.