PDA

View Full Version : History's on our side...

Chisox003
05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Ok, we all know the start the White Sox are off to...

At 23-7, they have led in all 30 games this season, surpassing a 50 year old record and now, at 30 and counting, its become extremely impressive....

But, some history I didnt know...

The last time the White Sox were 23-7....1919, and we all know what happened in 1919....

Another interesting thing I read somewhere (Can someone confirm this...?) is the last time the Red Sox won the World Series (Before last year of course) was 1918...
In the winter of 1918, the professional hockey league (Dont know exactly what it was back then) went on strike, and the following year, 1919...Well again, we know what happened....Sounds a little bit like '04, no?

I guess the point Im trying to make is that we are pretty much guaranteed of winning the pennant, lets just hope we dont throw the series this time :gulp:

Again, anybody else with some more info on this stuff would be awesome

MIgrenade
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
That's kinda crazy, history repeats itself. God I hope the Sox aren't cheating cuz there has been a bit of that going around.

guillen4life13
05-07-2005, 10:59 PM
we are pretty much guaranteed of winning the pennant,

DEEP PINK PO PO ALERT!

HomeFish
05-07-2005, 11:00 PM
The Reds aren't doing all that well, though.

kojak
05-08-2005, 12:32 AM
As further proof, back in 1919 the baseball commissioner was a drunken, ill-informed blowhard that used his office as political capital to maintain the all-important Anti-Trust Exemption!
http://www.vintagecardtraders.com/virtual/60fleer/60fleer-64.jpg http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2001-12-06-inside-selig.jpg

d'oh!!

kojak
05-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, technically Landis did not become commish until 1920 after the scandal had broken....

Chicago83
05-08-2005, 02:17 AM
And this all means... absolutely nothing. This is all superstitious bull. Just be happy you are witnessing one of the best starts ever and hope that it lasts.

seanpmurphy
05-08-2005, 02:51 AM
:whocares Let's worry about this season, and not all the crazy stuff that is similar to what's going on. Clearly the Sox arecheating, did you see all those calls they got in the Oakland series?

Dan H
05-08-2005, 08:01 AM
The start doesn't guarantee anything, but it sure helps. Not having to dig yourself out of a hole is a great change from past seasons. You know they will be there and in contention at the end. That is enough for me right now.

DumpJerry
05-08-2005, 11:03 AM
There is one major difference. The Red Sox are doing nothing this year. Just like post 1918. The Real Sox are starting a dynasty this year!:D:

ode to veeck
05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
nice history analogies, esp with hockey strike and judge landis vs the used car salesman, but you can leave the Wrong Sox out if it, IMHO

Chisox003
05-08-2005, 10:58 PM
And this all means... absolutely nothing. This is all superstitious bull. Just be happy you are witnessing one of the best starts ever and hope that it lasts.

Sure thing...

If you thought it was "superstitious bull" there was no need to respond....

I just thought it was interesting that all that stuff happened, but apparently you dont agree...So Ill just be happy and consider myself lucky that Im here to witness this

Please

IronFisk
05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
:bong:

Hope this lasts ALL season! :D:

BRDSR
05-09-2005, 12:34 AM
The Real Sox are starting a dynasty this year!:D:

Good Lord, people, I'm just barely getting comfortable with the word "playoffs." Someone said "World Series" the other day and I wanted to hit him in the face and tell him not to count his proverbial chickens until they've proverbially hatched. Could we PLEASE refrain from using the word "dynasty" just yet. We are about a season and a half away from having the right to use that word.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-09-2005, 12:55 AM
:bong:

Hope this lasts ALL season! :D:

rock, anyway i like all the strange connections. makes interesting readin

Chisox003
05-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Good Lord, people, I'm just barely getting comfortable with the word "playoffs." Someone said "World Series" the other day and I wanted to hit him in the face and tell him not to count his proverbial chickens until they've proverbially hatched. Could we PLEASE refrain from using the word "dynasty" just yet. We are about a season and a half away from having the right to use that word.

Agreed...

The Patriots....A dynasty

The Bulls in the 90's, Lakers a few years later...Dynasties

The Yankees....A Dynasty

The White Sox....Just a team that hasnt won a world series in going on 90 years....

Im not even comfortable with the word playoffs yet....We are 31 games into the season!

But we are 24-7 though....No, no, definitely not a dynasty yet

GregoryEtc
05-09-2005, 01:34 AM
some more coincidences....

Charles Comiskey's secretary, Betty Reinsdorf, predicted the White Sox wouldn't win another World Series until 2005.
Jerry Reinsdorf's maid, Eunice Comiskey, found $19.19 in his couch cushins.

Charles Comiskey was known as the "Old Roman".
US Cellular, to whom Jerry Reinsdorf sold the naming rights to the former Comiskey Park, is known for its roamin' charges.

Member of the 1919 White Sox, Joe Jackson, was known for playing a game without shoes.
Member of the 2005 White Sox, Paul Konerko, is rumored to have a foot fetish.

This is getting spooky.:o:

mrwag
05-09-2005, 07:49 AM
This early talk of dynasties and World Series games is getting too Cub-like. Let's just see where we are at in August, then we'll talk post-season.