PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern vs. Illinois in Champaign

Viva Medias B's
05-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I just got back from Champaign where I witnessed the first game of the Northwestern-Illinois doubleheader. This weekend series is one the 'Cats will never forget for all the wrong reasons. In the first of two seven-inning games (DHers in the Big Ten only go seven), the legendary Illinois coach "Itch" Jones and his first place Illini pounded the Wildcats' Paul Stevens and NU 21-4. The game I saw, in beauiful 80+ degree weather (warmer than the Texas-Arizona games I saw in Tucson), resulted in Illinois downing Northwestern 9-2. Driving alongside the freshly planted corn of East Central Illinois, I listened to as much as the second game as I could on WDWS-AM (1400). NU raced out to a 7-3 lead. However, as I get home now and check the Gametracker, the 'Cats blew a 9-7 seventh inning lead allowing five runs including a three run walk off home run after the Illini tied the game. NU will try to salvage a game in the series at Illinois Field on Sunday afternoon.

Illinois is now 30-14-1 (17-6 Big Ten) while Northwestern falls to 21-22 (10-13 Big Ten). The Illini now lead Iowa by three games and Minnesota by four games in the Big Ten standings.

patbooyah
05-08-2005, 02:10 AM
yep. sounds like another fun weekend for the sports program. just as i remember most sporting events, in fact...