PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "Quiet Superstar" for the 2005 White Sox?

swanson24
05-07-2005, 08:46 PM
The 2005 Chicago White Sox have come out of the gates this year and won a lot of games. Granted it is only May 7th but it is still impressive. As the year goes on some players who were vital to the team's success might go unnoticed by the media but not by White Sox fans. So my question for Sox fans is simple: Who is the "Quiet Superstar" the player whose name is absent from marketing ploys and the back of tee-shirts? Who do you think has done the best job and gone unnoticed?

I'm interested in listening to what Sox fans have to say so I am even attaching a poll.

If this topic has been brought up before I apologize but I thought it would make a cool thread.

itsnotrequired
05-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Widger. Great start to the season:

- 2nd in average (Iguchi)
- 2nd in slugging (Konerko)
- 2nd in OBP (Harris)

Way more than I expected for only 34 at-bats.

swanson24
05-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Widger definitely has been a pleasant surprise! Great choice!

South Side
05-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Podsednik.

swanson24
05-07-2005, 09:04 PM
I guess I didn't include Pods name in this poll because a guy with 70 stolen bases in one season is a well known superstar in my oppinion! I love the fact that he has started out the year well. Today May 7th he stole 4 bases in one game! That type of performance demands attention!

HomeFish
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Podsednik.

There's nothing quiet about a stolen base.

mantis1212
05-07-2005, 09:09 PM
My vote goes to Iguchi- very quiet with a .340 BA

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Widger. Great start to the season:

- 2nd in average (Iguchi)
- 2nd in slugging (Konerko)
- 2nd in OBP (Harris)

Way more than I expected for only 34 at-bats.

Agreed on Widger. Aside from his impressive offensive stats, I think he has done a lot in helping Garland reach his potential. That Garland/Widger combo looks pretty darn good out there! The other pitchers respect and gel with him well too!

itsnotrequired
05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I guess I didn't include Pods name in this poll because a guy with 70 stolen bases in one season is a well known superstar in my oppinion! I love th fact that he has started out the year well. Today May 7th he stole 4 bases in one game! That type of performance demands attention!

Exactly. Sox traded for Pods so were expecting results from him. So far, so good. Same deal with Iguchi.

When I heard Widger was added to the team, the first thing I thought was "Who?" Glad to see him aboard. Not very many teams can boast a backup catcher with the same offensive production and defensive solidness.

swanson24
05-07-2005, 09:16 PM
I would love to go to a Sox game this year and see someone wearing a Widger shirt / jersey! I don't think it will sell but I have to admit the guy is a pleasant surprise. ... so far!

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2005, 09:17 PM
When I heard Widger was added to the team, the first thing I thought was "Who?" Glad to see him aboard. Not very many teams can boast a backup catcher with the same offensive production and defensive solidness.

I can tell you that I was having a HUGE questionmark above my head when I heard Ozzie decided to give Widger a roster spot after spring training. I was hoping that Jamie Burke would've taken that spot...But I love it when Sox players prove me wrong...You can keep on doing it, Widger!

swanson24
05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Does anybody think a coach deserves some credit like Don Cooper or Tim Raines?

Stroker Ace
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Does anybody think a coach deserves some credit like Don Cooper or Tim Raines?Coop. gets some major props for how the starters are doing this year.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm gonna go with Harold Baines. You can't underestimate his presence in the clubhouse. :cool:

:harold

"................"

hsnterprize
05-07-2005, 10:35 PM
For me, it's a tie between Iguchi and Podsednik. The top of the lineup has been stellar this year as well as our pitching. Pods is getting on base, and "Gooch" is bringing him over or home. They only make the heart of the order's job that much easier.

South Side
05-07-2005, 10:41 PM
There's nothing quiet about a stolen base.

I think there is. It's quieter then a 3 run homer.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Definitely Widger on the list. I was talking about this in the chat today. I was surprised when Widger made the team out of ST. He's been great with the bat and defensively, not to mention he has awesome shades. :cool:

swanson24
05-08-2005, 04:37 PM
A reason why the folowing names were left: Pods, Rowand, Iguchi, Crede, Hernandez, Contreras, Garland, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Dye, Everett, and Garcia.

Simply put I thought that any player who consistently started in the lineup or served as a starting pitcher was a player who got credit or recognition. I may be way off base but that was the reason. The players I put up were bullpen guys or bench players. That is what I meant by saying, "players whose names are not on the back of a teeshirt or jersey."

I apologize for the poor wording of the poll question.

SSN721
05-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I have to say Iguchi

kevingrt
05-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Great question... first instinct tells me Widger especially after that HR in Oakland. But everyone has been a superstar on this team and no one has been running their mouth so far. Except for our manager, obviously!

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Iguchi.

SouthSide4Life
05-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Ross Gload

TimoandAaron
05-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Cliff Politte

my favorite pichter:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Cliff Politte

Cliff has been awesome this year. I could see how you could make a case for him. I would have to go with Dustin though. He has had some huge outings and gotten the job done each time he has been asked to.

Chrisaway
05-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Hermie hasnt allowed a run yet so he gets my vote.

balke
05-08-2005, 11:41 PM
For me its so quiet, he doesn't get his own vote in the poll. Its gotta be Uribe. He's getting a lot of important sac flys, and making amazing plays up the middle. This is bad timing because of his errors today at SS, but those have been few, and outshadowed by some of the leather he's flashed thus far. He's got a great arm there, and makes me so much more comfortable than anyone I can think of playing there for the White Sox.

He batted out of the 2 spot today, and has really helped boost the bottom of the order this season. You can bat him pretty much anywhere, and even when he's slumping he can do the little things. Way underrated and superstar for me.

He's kept the ERA's low, ended some big jams with great grabs in the field, and is the reason we've turned so many DP's.

minastirith67
05-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Where the hell is Iguchi?

wildcat
05-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Not only do I breathe a huge sigh of relief every time Hermanson comes in to pitch, I also love his attitude. Regardless of how he or anyone else is pitching, he's happy to play whenever he's needed and doesn't complain when he doesn't get save opportunities. He seems like a terrific team player.

wdelaney72
05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
There isn't ONE quiet superstar, there's been several, which is what makes this team so fun to watch. I can't just pick one.

elrod
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Maggs.

SoxFan78
05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
My vote goes to da Gooch.

Great glove and clutch hits, what a surprise this guy has been.

nlentz88
05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm going with Timo. Now, his numbers might not be that good, but he has filled several vital roles on the team when needed.

Furthermore, his upbeat attitude and good-natured personality have been key in the clubhouse. Afterall, this guy speaks English, Spansh, AND Japanese. He's an important keystone on this ethnically diverse club.

wdelaney72
05-09-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm going with Timo. Now, his numbers might not be that good, but he has filled several vital roles on the team when needed.

Furthermore, his upbeat attitude and good-natured personality have been key in the clubhouse. Afterall, this guy speaks English, Spansh, AND Japanese. He's an important keystone on this ethnically diverse club.

He has yet to redeem himself from the at-bat in Detroit. Runner on third with 1 out. Two fastballs right over the plate and he couldn't even put it in the outfield.

Sox-on-TV44
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Dustin Hermanson.He give the Sox another choice besides Shingo for the closer's role.But still,he's streighens the bullpen.

Clarkdog
05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Iguchi. Very possible he is starting at 2B or on the roster for the All-Star Game and wins Rookie of the Year.

swanson24
05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Hermanson is in the lead so far but it could change any moment. If Iguchi's name were included it could have made for a closer poll. I hated to leave out Ross Gload especially because he once played for the Kane County Cougars. I appreciate everyone who has voted so far. It's always great to hear from White Sox fans!

DaleJRFan
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Goooooooch!

nasox
05-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Def. Iguchi. Hands down. Superstar means better than good, and thats what Iguchi feeds us.