PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else as impressed with Iguchi?

Infallible
05-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Our 2nd basemen and 2nd hitter is doing a hell of a job in his first year this side of the pond. I'm continually impressed by this guy. He even showed some pop with his 2nd dinger this year against Toronto. Batting .333 ,13 Rbi's, 5 bags grabbed......solid play in the field, what more can we ask for?

MHOUSE
05-07-2005, 06:37 PM
He has been above and beyond my expectations. The occasional power is a nice plus and I love having him batting 2nd over Uribe and it lets us drop Rowand into an RBI spot which will pay big when he starts hitting.

BRDSR
05-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Our 2nd basemen and 2nd hitter is doing a hell of a job in his first year this side of the pond. I'm continually impressed by this guy. He even showed some pop with his 2nd dinger this year against Toronto. Batting .333 ,13 Rbi's, 5 bags grabbed......solid play in the field, what more can we ask for?

Not a whole lot. To add to the list, he is proving to be a mroe than adequate situational hitter. I bet at least 6 times this year Podsednik has gotten on first, stole second, and Iguchi has gone to the right side to move him to third. That and Everett's ability to hit a deep flyball is a big reason the Sox have lead in all 30 games this season: First inning runs.

A. Cavatica
05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I am. He's been as good as I wished he might be.

GiveMeSox
05-07-2005, 07:16 PM

I am very impressed with him, especially since he has only been in the league for 5 weeks. The one thing I think helps is hitting behind pods in the 2 hole. That allows Gooch to see more fastballs and possible more mistake pitches since the pitchers get real preoccupied with pods stealing when on base.

WagMan
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
There's no hitter I'd rather see at the plate with a man on 2nd or 3rd and we need a single to win or tie the game. Ichiro who?

MRKARNO
05-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I figured he would be somewhere around this good after looking at his Japanese stats and the cavernous park he had to play his home games in. I expected a Japanese version of Ray Durham who might take some time to acclimate to the major leagues. The impressive thing is how short it's taken him to get acclimated.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Besides the Sox starting rotation, the upgrade this season over last at second base is the biggest reason the '05 team is doing so well. Iguchi has been awesome.
:thumbsup:

It reminds me of a quote by Jim Parque back in 2000 talking about the upgrade at shortstop, Valentin over Caruso, from 1999.

:butter
"Like a man versus a boy."

:cool:

GiveMeSox
05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I figured he would be somewhere around this good after looking at his Japanese stats and the cavernous park he had to play his home games in. I expected a Japanese version of Ray Durham who might take some time to acclimate to the major leagues. The impressive thing is how short it's taken him to get acclimated.

Hes a true professional of the game and understands it very well. Remember he is a veteran.

BRDSR
05-07-2005, 07:59 PM

You have to remember that the cavernous parks of Japan would make you think that he would hit a fair number of home runs. However, it would also make you think that he'll hit for a slightly lower average because the outfielders have less ground to cover. Iguchi's high average is a very impressive statistic in my mind.

krohnjw
05-07-2005, 08:01 PM
I love Iguchi. He has surpassed everything I could have hoped he would do this year and I am loving it :) The Def team of Iguchi and Uribe has also looked excellent so far.

MRKARNO
05-07-2005, 08:17 PM
You have to remember that the cavernous parks of Japan would make you think that he would hit a fair number of home runs. However, it would also make you think that he'll hit for a slightly lower average because the outfielders have less ground to cover. Iguchi's high average is a very impressive statistic in my mind.

Three things:

1. Based on the players that have previously made the switch, it has been shown that average tends to translate to the major leagues better than power. This would indicate that Iguchi's .330-.340 average in Japan might be able to make nearly a direct translation. Ichiro has had better averages in the US than his best years in Japan.

2. Iguchi is a groundball hitter and the outfield dimensions would take on a relatively small effect on his average. The difference between the carpet vs grass infield probably would have a bigger effect.

3. Most parks in Japan are indeed hitters parks, but I was referring only to the Fukuoka dome where the entire outfield consists of a 20 foot high fence.

CubsSuckSoBad
05-07-2005, 09:00 PM
He started off slow for the first month, but he HAS really come on...

Seems that he is really starting to understand what he needs to do to help us win....

I do believe however that Podsednik and Everett have a LOT to do with his success so early...he gets to see a lot of pitches with pods on base that he wouldnt ordinarily see...ie. lot of fastballs...in addition, with everett being so hot initially, teams didnt want to watch iguchi....

Considering what we had last year at second base, he has been a great find...:supernana: :smile: :gulp:

swanson24
05-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Mark me down as impressed with Iguchi! Tadahito Iguchi YES! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I expected him to do well offensively from the numbers I saw from his playing in Japan; however, I never expected him to do so well on the field. I think that he and Uribe are forming a formidable 6-4 combo, and Iguchi gets rid of the ball fast to Konerko when turning double plays or throwing a runner out. His positioning on the infield has been great as well.

I've liked what I've seen so far...Keep it up, Tadahito!

jabrch
05-07-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47704&page=1&pp=15

Two days into the season, this was the sentiment...I'm glad Ozzie isn't going to make wild reactionary moves based on nearly no data.

I'm thrilled with Iguchi. He does everything right. He plays the game the way it should be played.

FarWestChicago
05-07-2005, 09:36 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47704&page=1&pp=15

Two days into the season, this was the sentiment...I'm glad Ozzie isn't going to make wild reactionary moves based on nearly no data.LMAO!! Those guys really hung the "I'm an idiot" flag out there for all to see. :D:

MRKARNO
05-07-2005, 09:43 PM
One thing that has really impressed me that I did not mention before is his defense. He looks like a gold-glove second baseman out there right now and I give him, as well as Uribe, a lot of credit as to why the pitching staff has been so good so far this year. It appears that making the switch from mainly carpet to mainly turf hasnt been an issue and has possibly helped him.

Stroker Ace
05-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I am suprised with Iguchi playing. I can't wait until June when I come home from school and go see him in some Sox games!

monkeypants
05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Count me in as being very impressed with him also. What I think has been underrated so far is him helping to solidify the all important defense up the middle. Iguchi and Uribe look like they have been playing together for a few seasons although it's only been two months. He looks and plays like a consumate professional.

skobabe8
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
I love Iguchi. He has forced me to consider picking up his jersey. His bat flip is freaking awesome!!!! Especially after his first home run (a game I was at). He flipped that sucker way up there.

Malgar 12
05-08-2005, 12:13 PM

No! I think we should play Wille Harris, he could start for a lot MLB teams!

Evman5
05-08-2005, 12:30 PM
He started off slow for the first month, but he HAS really come on...

Seems that he is really starting to understand what he needs to do to help us win....

I do believe however that Podsednik and Everett have a LOT to do with his success so early...he gets to see a lot of pitches with pods on base that he wouldnt ordinarily see...ie. lot of fastballs...in addition, with everett being so hot initially, teams didnt want to watch iguchi....

Considering what we had last year at second base, he has been a great find...:supernana: :smile: :gulp:

Who cares if Pods and Everett are part of the reason he is doing so well. This is what KW envisioned when he signed Iguchi. I agree that he has definitely been one our biggest reasons for success this year. He does everything so well and he is really impressing me. I hope he keeps it up all year!!!

firejauron
05-08-2005, 12:34 PM
How long did Kenny lock him up for? I can't believe he didn't get more interest in the offseason.

Evman5
05-08-2005, 12:36 PM
they gave him a two year deal.

edit:

They also have an option for the third year

The Chicago White Sox have signed Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to a two-year contract. Under the terms of the deal, Iguchi will be paid $2.3 million in 2005 and $2.4 million in 2006 with a club option for $3.25 million in 2007.

jabrch
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
LMAO!! Those guys really hung the "I'm an idiot" flag out there for all to see. :D:

I wonder who still thinks he is "Overmatched"

mweflen
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Q: Is anyone impressed with Iguchi?

A: Ummm, like, everyone? Talk about a no-brainer.

mweflen
05-08-2005, 12:46 PM
No! I think we should play Wille Harris, he could start for a lot MLB teams!

Bafiarocks, are you lurking with another username? :D:

jabrch
05-08-2005, 12:49 PM
they gave him a two year deal.

edit:

They also have an option for the third year

The Chicago White Sox have signed Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to a two-year contract. Under the terms of the deal, Iguchi will be paid $2.3 million in 2005 and $2.4 million in 2006 with a club option for $3.25 million in 2007.

Over the course of time, this may end up being KW's best move. The cost was NOTHING and he is ours for 3 years at what looks like an incredible value. Pods is a huge piece of this team, and is entering his 3rd season - so he still has 3 more years before FA. That's also huge.

A cool thing about this team is that we have no immenent losses due to FA. He will be able to bring the same roster back next year at nearly the same prices - with only normal raises due to players.

kevingrt
05-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Nothing...

He's just as good as Ray Durham, a perfect role player for a championship caliber team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2005, 05:28 PM
With all due regards to Everett, imagine how much better Iguchi can be with Frank Thomas hitting third.
:o: