PDA

View Full Version : How many seasons have YOU been a Sox fan?

Bisco Stu
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
This is my 30th season, since 1976, so since this a milestone(d) of sorts for me, thought I'd bring up the topic.

You?

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Since Frantic Frank was the general manager.

jake27
05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
birth

fox2
05-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Me too. To give you a clue, my first heroes were Eddie Robinson and Chico Carrasquel.

Chisox003
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I became a huge fan in about 1993, when I was about 6 years old....

That was an awesome year, and an awesome team, and Ive been hooked since...

Edit: Ya, Ill just go with birth :gulp:

Fredsox
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Since 1971 when I saw Wilbur Wood pitch against Vida Blue.

BigEdWalsh
05-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Me too. To give you a clue, my first heroes were Eddie Robinson and Chico Carrasquel.
Got me beat, my first was Little Louie and Nellie.

StrTrkker
05-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I used to be a (gulp!) Cubs fan way back in the late 60s/early 70s...but when Cubs management decided to get rid of their veteran players like Kessinger, Beckhart, Huntley, Williams, and even (gulp #2) Santo I quickly jumped to the Sox and never EVER looked back.

:bandance:

chisoxfan64
05-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Since birth, so 40 years goin on 41. My first sox heroes were Ed Herrman, Wilbur Wood, Bill Melton.

SoxFan48
05-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I go back to 1948 and that is why I am SoxFan 48. Oh, how I remember the spring of '51 when the go-go sox were born and Jim Busby became my personal hero...

57 years and waiting my for my first world championship. Is this the year?

swanson24
I was born in 1984 and I have been a Sox fan since 1991! I was a big Steve Lyons fan after I got his autograph in Sarasota before a spring training game but then I switched to the Big Hurt and I realized why the Sox are the best! 93 Sox what a team!

itsnotrequired
This is my 30th season, since 1976, so since this a milestone(d) of sorts for me, thought I'd bring up the topic.

You?

Man, I'm not even thirty years old! I'm originally from Wisconsin so threw my support to the good ol' Brew Crew as a kid. Moved to Chicago 4 years ago and was a casual fan in the beginning of '03 season but a full-blown convert by the end. Major fan last year as well as this year.

seventytwo
25 years. I was 12 years-old when Carlton Fisk switched Sox, and my allegiance switched along with him.

SOXSINCE'70
35 years,hence my board name,SOXSINCE'70.

Bill Melton made me watch a team that won only 56 times in 162
tries in 1970,so I am a glutton for punishment.It was great to see him
win the HR title in '71.The next year,Dick Allen,acquired in the trade
that sent Tommy John to the Dodgers,and Melton were a force to
be reckoned with.That was,until Melton fell off a ladder doing some
chores at home,blew out his knee,and the season was lost.:(:

I became a Sox fan because everyone in my old home town
(Des Plaines) was a sCrUBS fan.They played too many day games.:drunken:

The Sox played many night games.My dad was getting home from work
around 7:00.I'd eat dinner with my mom,dad and grandmother,we'd clean
up,and within an hour (8:05),the Sox game would be on WFLD,channel 32
(now Fox).The reception was much better on a cheap black and white
TV than on my mom and dad's color set.The Sox were less popular than
the "lovable losers":angry: ,so I figured being a Sox fan was like being in an exclusive club.

Sorry for the rant.That's my story.

05-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Born in 1973, First game 1978...so this is my 27th year...thanks for reminding me how old I am!

fox2
05-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Actually I am really lucky. My father was born and raised in Berwyn, where Cub fans grow like mushrooms. *All* my uncles, aunts and cousins were Cub fans. But in 1947 my father, who I guess was kind of a rebel, packed the family up, moved to Western Springs and became a Sox fan. I get down on my knees every night and thank God for that.

Orta 4-6-3
05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
I have vauge recollections of 1967 & '68; signed on for good in 1969.

misty60481
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
I saw my 1st Sox game August 21, 1945,,, I still have a copy of boxscore from the old Daily News.. They lost a doubleheader to Yankees..3-0 & 6-2..

Lip Man 1
05-07-2005, 04:03 PM
45th season. I started in 1960 when I was five. One of my earliest Sox memories is playing 'baseball' in the back yard wearing my Sox hat. I'd do everything...toss the ball in the air, hit it, run the bases and do the broadcasts all by myself.

Sox since 70...by the way Melton didn't fall off his garage roof doing chores. The previous winter Melton's young son somehow climbed up on the garage, Melton went up there to get him down and fell while doing it.

No one including the Sox 'doctors' realized he was hurt. Melton went to spring training and his back started bothering him, he started the regular season but the back continued to hurt.

Finally tests revealed a herniated disk. The Sox doctors tried injections with an extract from Papaya if I remember correctly to try to shrink it back into place, there by taking the pressure off the nerves, but when that failed they shut him down for the year.

Sox G.M. Roland Hemond then went out and stole Ed Spezio from the Padres. He did a great job the rest of the way but he was no Bill Melton.

Lip

hose
05-07-2005, 04:13 PM
I started following the Sox a little bit in 1967 and remember my Uncle saying "Stankie's Stinky's".:D: We never watched tv except for cartoons on Saturday morning and Family Classics on Sunday , we were always playing outside.

1968 was when I really knew all the players on the team.

As a little kid I always thought Brooks and Frank Robinson were brothers.

tacosalbarojas
05-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Fan since birth...fan till death. 35 years and counting. 35...hmmn, pretty good player in franchise history wears that number, could it be karma?

LongLiveFisk
05-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Since age 6 in 1977...the South Side Hitmen were one hell of a way to get started! :cool:

Black Sox
05-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Since around 1990 when I was ten. I started off a Cubs fan for two years because I didn't know any better but I quickly changed allegiances because I hated how most Cubs fans accepted losing so easily. I also liked their uniform and colors better. The movie eight men out also made an impression on me. But I mostly remember always trying not to miss Big Frank's at bats. He was truly an impressive hitter in the 90's.

Cowch44
05-07-2005, 04:48 PM
I became a fan in May 2000 when I was 11. I think the fight with Detroit got me interested.

Iron Dragon
05-07-2005, 04:51 PM
The rest of my family are/were Scrub fans, then I came along in 1977. My immediate family then went to Sox games. I'll say I've been a fan since birth, but probly since 1982.

dcb33
I became a Sox fan in 1990. As an ignorant youth, I followed and loved the 89 Cubs but they broke my heart in the playoffs in the Giants. Afterwards, I decided to broaden my horizons and discovered the Sox. I've always been interested in history, so the final season in Old Comiskey spiked my interest in watching and follwing the Sox. I got hooked on the team for good when they came out of nowhere to win 94 games.

rookieroy
Since 1982. Baines and Fisk had plenty to do with that. I was 15 that year and took the train a few times with some new friends in high school to the park. It was an incredible thrill to be sitting in the right field corner drinking beers we bought from an old vendor who new my grandfather! We just kept going every weekend and certainly grew up and learned plenty by the end of the season.

Yes...I am a Flubs crossover and have never looked back!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

TDog
05-07-2005, 05:01 PM
My father took me to see the Sox-Cubs benefit game in '63 or '64, but I didn't come of age as a Sox fan until '69. And my allegiance only solidified in '70, from the 12-0 loss to the Twinks on opening day on. Bill Melton, by the way, still has back problems.

Outside the courthouse in Juneau, across a two-lane road from the Alaska State Capitol building, there is a small garden with two trees and a plaque dedicating it to a man described as an "Alaska judge, 1960 to 2001" and a "Brooklyn Dodger fan in perpetuity."

There seem to be a lot of "in perpetuity" Sox fans around here.

Cowhead418
05-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I was born in '90 but I'm sad to say I never really followed the Sox until the beginning of last season. I knew if they made the playoffs before last year but not much else. So this is my 2nd season. Brutal year to start off with but I'm hoping this year will make me forget about last year. So far so good!:) :thumbsup: :dancers: :Rocker: :nod: :cool: :D: :wink:

MUsoxfan
05-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I was born and raised a Sox fan. I became really big Sox fan right around the '99 season, and a truly psychotic Sox fan during the 2000 season. :D:

SoxFan76
05-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm embarassed to say this, but I really didn't religiously follow the Sox until 2000. I was always a fan, but I wouldn't watch every game and I sure as hell didn't know the stats of everyone on the team. Now I'm out of control. I spend my whole day on this website.

We've been saying all along that winning brings the fans, well that held true in 2000. They had the best record in the majors and I became a fan. Funny how that works.

Procol Harum
05-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Since 1961, I was in 1st grade and found a blue plastic Nellie Fox coin in a pack of Oscar Meyer hot dogs--so, this is my 45th season. Note that I missed the glory of '59 by a mere two years....:(:

HomeFish
05-07-2005, 05:22 PM
2005 will be my 6th season as a Sox fan.

I was a Cubs "fan" before that, but it's misleading. I didn't follow baseball until 1999, and so I just always assumed that I was a Cubs fan because of where I lived (NW side). Like most Cub fans, if you asked me in 1998 who was on the team, I would tell you Sammy Sosa and Harry Carrey.

Once I actually started going to baseball games, I learned two important things: first, that the experience at Comiskey was far better than the experience at the north side ballpark; better seats, better views, better food, modern amenities, and better smell. Second, I learned that the Cubs suck. When I went to the 1999 Cubs/Sox series at the Urinal, not only did I see the Sox win in impressive fashion, but I also saw just how poorly run the Cubs park is.

The story I always tell is that, outside of my section, there was a Sox fan who would ask each person entering or leaving what team they were rooting for. I think his name was Ernie, as one of his friends called him that. Upon entering the section, I answered him "Cubs". Upon leaving, I answered "Sox". Although Ernie did no actual preaching or teaching, I typically credit him with converting me.

It wasn't until 2000 that I actually started following baseball to an extent that I would recognize now; but I was at Comiskey cheering for the Sox by late 1999.

Cowhead418
05-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm embarassed to say this, but I really didn't religiously follow the Sox until 2000. I was always a fan, but I wouldn't watch every game and I sure as hell didn't know the stats of everyone on the team. Now I'm out of control. I spend my whole day on this website.

We've been saying all along that winning brings the fans, well that held true in 2000. They had the best record in the majors and I became a fan. Funny how that works.
I'm kind of like you. I didn't religiously follow the Sox until about 1/3 of the way through last season. I was always a fan too, but I only knew like 6 players on the team and I only watched like 5 games a season. Now my family has been pleading for me to stop talking White Sox. I really starting going psychoitic after Crede hit the walk-off against the Kittens when the Sox came back from a 6-2 deficit. Too bad that season turned bad. My favorite game was Buehrle's masterpiece in Cleveland. I wish I had followed them since birth but unfortunately I cannot say that. I really hate that I missed the 2000 season.:(: Here's to this season being even better!:cheers:

Infallible
05-07-2005, 05:42 PM
23rd season for me.

Realist
05-07-2005, 05:54 PM

You?

1976 is about the same time I got bit the same bug.

logansquaresox
05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Around nine. My family are all Sox fans. I became a fan in my own right at the age of eight when I went to my first game at old Comiskey and got to run the bases. My heart was broken at the tender age of 13 by the '94 strike and I swore off baseball for several years...
The 2003 season brought me back into the fold and I have never looked back.

WagMan
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, while the White Sox have always been my favorite team, I wouldn't say I became a true fan until a couple of years ago. Since then, I can't get enough! Whether it's watching on TV or in person as many times as possible or spending too much time on this website (or so my wife says), i'm thinking White Sox 24/7. Go Sox in '05:bandance: !!!

BRDSR
05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I became a huge fan in about 1993, when I was about 6 years old....

That was an awesome year, and an awesome team, and Ive been hooked since...

Edit: Ya, Ill just go with birth :gulp:

Whoa whoa whoa...you were 6 in 1993? I'm not sure if that certain smily face applies to you, my friend. :wink:

TornLabrum
05-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't know what month it was, but I imagine it was the spring of 1955, so this is my 51st season following the Sox. I was five years old.

Here's my story: I was out playing in the back yard and decided to go to see my grandparent who lived two doors away. I cut across LaGesses' back yard and went in the back door, and cut through the kitchen.

As I walked into the living room, Chico Carrasquel knocked one out of the park, and Jack Brickhouse was going crazy. I quickly asked my grandpa what channel this strange new game was on (well, I didn't call it a strange new game) and he said, "Channel 9."

I ran home shouting, "Carousel hit a homer!" I turned on the TV started learning about the game that afternoon, and have been hooked ever since.

That summer I remember my mom wanted to take me to get a haircut. I didn't want to miss the game (little did I know the barber, a cousin, was a Sox fan), and I cried all the way to his shop. That's when I found out there was no game that day. There was a movie on the TV.

soxwon
05-07-2005, 06:58 PM
i was born a sox fan in 56
but 40 years since i started attending games
1965 sox-yankees

Tekk
05-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...you were 6 in 1993? I'm not sure if that certain smily face applies to you, my friend. :wink:

I think its just a tall glass of ice cold chocolate milk. :D:

Brian26
05-07-2005, 07:37 PM
25 years. I was 12 years-old when Carlton Fisk switched Sox, and my allegiance switched along with him.

25th year for me too. 1981 was the first year I was officially a Sox fan (9 years old). Before that, I was brainwashed by the WGN/Cubs/DaveKingman/Bozo/RayRaynor juggernaut on Channel 9.

NonetheLoaiza
05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Pretty much since birth, but I first realized I was a Sox fan when I was 4 and got a pack of baseball cards, Topps. I was going through them with my dad and I got a Cubs card (the player escapes me), and my dad goes..."No, we don't like them. We never cheer for them." And the rest...is history.

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Noone in my family are sports fans, so I had to take it upon myself to raise myself the sports fan that I am. 8-year-old me saw a picture of Frank Thomas in 1990 and thought it looked cool, and I wanted to do more investigating about the picture, so I watched a Sox game and was hooked. So, this is my 16th year as a Sox fan.

Might I add that I am proud to say that I have NEVER bled Cubbie blue.

OKCidiot
05-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Sox fan since 1970

elrod
05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Since 1982.

Growing up in New Jersey I was a die hard Mets fan. I was 8 years old that spring and I got a book on Mets history. I noticed that Jerry Koosman won the decisive fifth game of the 1969 World Series and determined that he was my favorite Met ever. I also decided that October 16 was the greatest date ever because it was the date the Mets won the World Series in 1969. I had some bubble gum baseball cards and sure enough, one of them was Jerry Koosman on the White Sox. I wanted to root for an American League team so Koosman's White Sox made perfect sense. The Sox were a decent team that year and the Mets were terrible. In 1983, of course, the Sox were great. I got several White Sox pennants at Cooperstown in 1983 and I still own them. I hated the Cubs from those days too, because they always beat out the Mets for second-to-last place, in 1982 and 1983. And then in 1984 they beat out the Mets for first.

I never set foot in Illinois until 1991. That special date, October 16, turned out to be my wedding date in 1999, exactly 30 years after Cleon Jones pulled in Davey Johnson's fly ball in Game Five. I've been a fan of the Mets and White Sox since 1982.

OH!foracold1
05-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Since 57. Remember my first Sox game in 59 with my Dad with the freebies in honor of Chicago Police dept. All my friends used to think I was crazy for going in to listen or watch the Sox games at night instead of staying out until the streetlights came on in the 60's. Something that sticks out in my mind is remembering my Dad sending a get-well card to Nellie when he was dying of cancer in the hospital. He was our favorite.

Wsoxmike59
05-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I was born in to a White Sox family (except for one brother who some how became a Cub fan, But later recanted is now among the White Sox faithful)

I was born in the Pennant Winning Season of 1959 just about 20 blocks south of the ballpark. My father was a huge Sox fan born in 1916, but also rooted for the Cubs because they were a Chicago team.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to baseball growing up, until we moved into a new neighborhood in April of 1968. On one of the first warm days of spring, I got invited to play baseball in the alley from the new kids in the neighborhood.

There was one kid in particular who seemed to know more about the game than everybody else, and he was wearing this strange blue hat with a red "C" on it. I had never seen one before.

I asked him which team that hat belonged to...and when he said the Cubs, I shrugged and asked him, which city they play in? He laughed and said "here in Chicago you goof!"

I thought he was pulling my leg and didn't believe him. I had never heard of the Cubs. Immediately after the game was over I ran home and asked my dad....Who are the Cubs?? He told me that they were the baseball team on the northside of the city.

I only had memories of my dad and the all my other uncles only watching the Sox. So I asked him, how come I've never seen you watch their games?? And he replied (this is a classic) They play ONLY DAY GAMES WHEN MOST DADS ARE WORKING....they're kind of the Housewives team in Chicago! :D:

I immediately rejected the Cubs and all that they represented (even at 8 years old, I knew enough to root for the team from my side of town)

I started collecting baseball cards and became a die hard Sox fan back in '68 and went to my first games the following season in 1969 vs the Senators on the Perfect Attendance/Straight A plan and I saw Beltin' Bill Melton blast one into the LF stands and saw the scoreboard go off for the very first time in my young life. I was hooked for life.

The Sox have been a very big part of my life ever since that summer of 1968, and I have never regretted being a fan of theirs. Let's hope 2005 is the year we've all been waiting so patiently for since 1959.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm 23 and this is my 15th year of following the Sox. Originally I was a cub fan I guess, because of my family influence. Although when I was 8 years old I didn't watch anything but cartoons, so I really didn't care much about the cubs or the Sox. But I would claim allegiance to the cubs just because I didn't know any better. The day I officially became an exclusive Sox fan and never looked back was the day of Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in 1991. The game happened to be on WGN and I just sat and watched it from start to finish. I was so amazed to see a no-hitter, that I started watching every game I could that wasn't on cable and never looked back.

Also I was taken in by the awesome black uniforms, so that was a big influence on me too. I always thought the cubs unis were kind of dorky, even as a kid. Plus the brand new park and I couldn't believe how big Frank Thomas was.

peeonwrigley
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Since Wood and Nomar got hurt.

Seriously though, my whole life. I'm 22. I cheer for the Cards, too, to a far lesser extent than the White Sox based on my dad. He's a former Cards fan from Springfield converted to a White Sox when he moved to Chicago and then remained in northern Illinois.

MikeW
05-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Been hanging in there since at least 1961. I collected cards,cut out the box scores and watched them when they would play the Yankees. All of you are so lucky to root for a team that you could go see play all the time or watch them on TV. Couldn't pick up WMAQ or Channel 9 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

MINFAN1
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
I go back to 1948 and that is why I am SoxFan 48. Oh, how I remember the spring of '51 when the go-go sox were born and Jim Busby became my personal hero...

57 years and waiting my for my first world championship. Is this the year? 1948, thats about the time my father took me to my first game. I was hooked , all I wanted to do is play sandlot baseball, and listen to my Sox on the radio. So I have been waiting for that day when we become World Champs,and I can go piecefully with a smile on my face.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Since 1983, when I moved to Chicago at age 7.

:supernana:

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
1948, thats about the time my father took me to my first game. I was hooked , all I wanted to do is play sandlot baseball, and listen to my Sox on the radio. So I have been waiting for that day when we become World Champs,and I can go piecefully with a smile on my face.

I may just jump off a bridge if that ever happens...can't get any better than that, so leave while you're on top. :wink:

MILTMAY5
05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
I was a Carlton Fisk/Red Sox fan until 1981 (I was 15yrs old then). When Pudge came to Chicago so did my loyalties,and I have never, EVER, looked back since. It also helped that another of my favourite players had played for the Sox breifly in 1979 (Milt May). I was at the Sox/Jays game Friday night and was thrilled to meet so many Chicago area Sox fans in attendance, even drank a few beers with some of them at a local pub after the game!

FarWestChicago
05-07-2005, 11:03 PM
I was a Carlton Fisk/Red Sox fan until 1981 (I was 15yrs old then). When Pudge came to Chicago so did my loyalties,and I have never, EVER, looked back since. It also helped that another of my favourite players had played for the Sox breifly in 1979 (Milt May). I was at the Sox/Jays game Friday night and was thrilled to meet so many Chicago area Sox fans in attendance, even drank a few beers with some of them at a local pub after the game!The Ontario contingent of WSI is growing. There's you and Baby Fisk. And soon to be me. :D:

rwcescato
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM

You?

Since I was born in 1964. Best beginning of a season that I can remember.
GGOOO SSSOOOXXX!!!!:supernana:

Joosh
05-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Since 93', when I was 4 and moved back up to Chicago from Atlanta. My Dad, who has been a Sox fan for 41 years, took me to my first Sox game then.

The Last 2 years the Sox have become a passion that could never be replaced in my life.

jake27
05-07-2005, 11:24 PM
well i said birth but ill try to be more specific. the 1st game i remember is when my dad and uncle took me to the 1st game at new comiskey. i was hooked then. i also remember going to spring traning in sarasota one year, might have bene before then, i dont knwo for sure tho.

voodoochile
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Man these are some great stories. I've read the TornLabrun one about 3 times in various threads and it never gets old...

As for me, I am really the only sports fan in my family. My dad and I used to go to games occasionally doing the father son thing in the early 70's. We went to opening day for several years in a row. Mostly we went to the flubbies opening day and I was a flubs fan first and foremost through my early teens.

After the 1979 season, I became a Sox fan after watching Bill Buckner lead the league in batting average, Dave Kingman lead the league in HR and RBI and Bruce Sutter tie the NL record for saves and the flubs finished... 5th. I had to take a hard look at my allegiances and though I had never followed the Sox, I had been to a few games. I remember Mike Royko writing a bunch of columns saying he was switching from the flubbies to the Sox because he was convinced they would always be losers. It was a big influence. I made it out. Mike didn't.

1983 solidified my fandom forever, though I never did hate the flubbies and still don't. Mostly I just ignore them. I do feel sorry for their diehard fans - the ones who really know what is going on. It sucks to be them and every day I think of this tag...

:thankgod

DickAllen72
05-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Bill Melton made me watch a team that won only 56 times in 162
tries in 1970,so I am a glutton for punishment.It was great to see him
win the HR title in '71.The next year,Dick Allen,acquired in the trade
that sent Tommy John to the Dodgers,and Melton were a force to
be reckoned with.That was,until Melton fell off a ladder doing some
chores at home,blew out his knee,and the season was lost.:(:

I've been a White Sox fan since birth, but really started watching games in '68.

Anyway, Beltin' Bill didn't blow out his knee, he had a herniated disc in his back. The Sox would have probably won the division in '72 if they didn't lose Melton for most of that season.

I remember he underwent a procedure called something like "chemo-nucleousis" to shrink the disc which I believe was a brand new and possibly an experimental treatment at the time.

Anyway, for me '72 was a magical year. Dick Allen was the best player in baseball that year and I spent most of my eighth grade graduation money at Sox Park, attending thirty seven games that year. Great memories!
:)

doublem23
05-07-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't really remember, but prior to 1993, I think I was kind of a Cub and Sox fan. My whole family are Cub fans so we'd go to games and watch them on TV, but my dad is a Sox fan and he got a ton of tickets through work in '93 and it was so special. Such a great team, such a great time. Still one of the fondest memories I had was at the game they moved the magic number down to 5 with a win over Texas. Definitely the year I shed any lingering affiliations I may have shed with the Cubs.

I never thought the 2000 team captured that same magic. Maybe I was so young (turned 10 in '93) that it was all so overwhelming for me that the experience will never be repeated until they go to a World Series and (please, God) win it all. 2000 was a great season, mind you, but there was just something about the 1993 team for me that's so intangible. I sure hope the '05 team can bring back some of those memories.

TomParrish79
05-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Hmmm it was probably around 1990, I was 10 and my parents had just gotten a satelite dish, and for some reason I stopped it on Sportschannel chicago and the Sox were playing and from then on out I watched every sox game I could watch.

SouthSideHitman
05-08-2005, 12:20 AM
I did some interesting math here and decided that this is my twentieth season, despite the fact that I'm only 18 years old. See, I was born in September of '86, however I count that whole season as one of fandom, considering that I've been reliably informed that I attended more than one game that season pre-natally. That would make '05 my twentieth season and I think that it's high time I get to see the Sox winning some postseason series' and games at home, neither of which has occured in my lifetime.

My best times as a Sox fan were definitely during the '93 season, when I was 7. Those early nineties teams were great, I have all the cards of the players from then and just have all these great memories untainted by the realism that you get with age. My family also split seaon tickets back then. After the strike, we gave up the tickets and my interest steadily decline, due to other influences. But the '00 team got me back fully into the fold after a rockin' June win over Cleveland and by the time I was following the team on vacation in rural Montana via old USA Todays, I knew that I was hooked again.

jcw218
05-08-2005, 12:40 AM
I'd say since birth (1973). The first season that I really remember is the 1983 season. Carlton Fisk, Ron Kittle and Greg "Bull" Luzinski (sp?) hitting those monster roof shots into the left field sky.

One reason that I disliked that other team is that one of my favorite afternoon cartoons (Scooby Doo) would nto be shown if that team had a home game. :angry: I wanted my Scooby Doo.

fuzzy_patters
05-08-2005, 01:14 AM
My Dad is a White Sox fan, and I have been raised a White Sox fan. One of my earliest memories is listening to the Sox clinch on the radio in 1983 on a battery operated radio because the lights had gone out in our house. I had just turned five in August.

One thing that is interesting about my following the Sox as a kid is that we lived about 115 miles from Chicago and did not have cable television until the 1990 season. Prior to that, I loved White Sox baseball cards, and I would listen to the Sox on the clock radio in my room. Occasionally, on a dark clear night the Sox could faintly be seen on Channel 32 if you turned the antenna just right, and those were very special occasions for me. For this reason, the 1990 Sox team is my all-time favorite. They were not only a very fun team to watch, but they were the first team that I got to actually watch on a regular basis. In a way, I consider that the modern era of my Sox fandom.

The worst moment of my childhood as a Sox fan was the day I was listening to the radio, and I heard that Harold Baines had been traded for Scott Fletcher and two prospects who turned out to be Sosa and Alvarez. Harold was my favorite player, and I immediately jumped off my bed, slammed my door, got yelled at by my Mom, and sat on the steps waiting for my Dad to get home. I sobbed for about a half hour until my Dad came home. He asked me, "What's wrong?" I told him that Harold was traded to the Rangers for Scott Fletcher, some outfielder, and some minor league pitcher that is supposed to be pretty good. My Dad started cussing up a storm and said, "That Figures! Every time they get a good player they go and pull some S==T like this." That day was one of the worst days of my life.

One of the best days of my life was when my then girlfriend, now wife, took me to a White Sox game in 1996 to celebrate my high school graduation. She knew how obsessed I am about the Sox, and that I had never been fortunate enough to actually attend a game. The Sox had recently reaquired Harold, and I bragged all the way there that I just knew Harold would hit a homer for me. The Sox lost 4-2 to the Mariners, but it was a great day. I will never forget how green the grass was the first time I laid eyes on it, despite that we sat in the supposedly terrible upper level of the upper deck. I instantly had goosebumps up and down my arms. However, the best came in the bottom of the fifth inning when my girlfriend/wife went to get a pretzel with cheese. I refused to go with her because I did not want to miss a pitch at my first ever Sox game. Harold came up and almost hit a homerun down the right field line, but it just went foul. My goosebumps came back, and the hairs on my neck stood on end. I thought for sure he had done it for me. Then, two pitches later, Harold hit a low line drive that continued to rise all the way until it hit the batter's eye in center field. It was a bomb, and Harold had come through for me! I sat there speachless with a big grin on my face when Amy came back to our seats. I still will not let her live it down that she missed it. It was incredible.

Another cool note is that I named my Irish Setter after Ozzie Guillen when I was ten. I am pretty sure that I was the only kid in the world with a dog named "Ozzie Guillen."

pmck003
05-08-2005, 02:52 AM
One of my earlier memories is refusing to trade a Carlton Fisk for a ryan sandberg. I was born way in the suburbs (barrington) and never lived in the city. My family moved to minneapolis when I was in grade school, but the best memory I have was catching a Ivan Calderon foul ball against the Brewers at Comiskey. The memory of the people there that day and that catch is why I am a Sox fan (I've been to the park a few times since). Plus the first time I met a Twin fan he was holding a "homer hanky", yes, I didn't think that was awesome.

pmck003
05-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Also, I thought I spent too much time on the internet before I saw this site: now I don't feel as if there is any other internet.

pinwheels3530
05-08-2005, 03:05 AM
20 seasons and counting................

SSN721
05-08-2005, 03:21 AM
Could say since birth, but the first I remember, barely, were during the 1983 season. SO I guess 22 years.

Dice
05-08-2005, 06:34 AM
1990. This year is sort of similar to that season because in 1990 no one would have thought the Sox would have won 94 games that year considering the year before they lost 92 games. And even though they still lost the division to the A's they gave the A's all they could handle that year.

That underdog mentality is why I've been watching the Sox since then.

BigEdWalsh
05-08-2005, 07:13 AM
I first became aware of baseball in either 1957 or '58. My earliest awareness of baseball was that of Jack Brickhouse calling a game and mentioning Moose Moryn of the Cubs. I thought it was a neat name. I bought some baseball cards and thought Louie Aparicio and Nellie Fox were neat guys. My love of the Sox was born. My Dad liked sports but was just kind of a casual fan. His Dad had been a Cubs fan. I think I turned my Dad onto the Sox more so than his influence on me. I collected baseball cards, listened to all the games I could, got a White Sox hat and a "Louie Aparicio" baseball glove.
My Dad knew how badly I wanted to go to a game but he never had the time, being the workaholic that he was. Finally one day in September 1962 (by this time I was 12) he showed up home from work early and asked if I wanted to go to a Sox game. OMG! What vivid memories I have of that night. Through my teenage years, he always managed to take me to a few games each season. By about '65 or '66 I would often ditch school to sneak to games on my own. Eventually I would take my little brother. Good times!
By the time I was out of high school in '68 and was actually making money, I went to all the games that I could. Often I was one of about one or two thousand fans who would show up for games. Those were dark days...the Sox were bad but I didn't care. I just loved being at that ballpark.
Now my greatest joy in life is going to a game with my son (who's also a WSI member), or just simply following the Sox along with him.
:)

The Racehorse
05-08-2005, 07:21 AM
I've always been a SOX fan. After all, my favorite past player is Nyls Nyman... that's something that just can't be fabricated by someone who isn't "in the know". :cool:

Pete Ward
05-08-2005, 07:55 AM
1963 and proud of it !!!

MikeKreevich
05-08-2005, 07:59 AM
I've been a Sox fan for about 52 years, I estimate. When I was a young boy, I could watch an entire Sunday doubleheader, just me and a quart of Canfield's Fruit Punch.

Realist
05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't know what month it was, but I imagine it was the spring of 1955, so this is my 51st season following the Sox. I was five years old.

Here's my story: I was out playing in the back yard and decided to go to see my grandparent who lived two doors away. I cut across LaGesses' back yard and went in the back door, and cut through the kitchen.

As I walked into the living room, Chico Carrasquel knocked one out of the park, and Jack Brickhouse was going crazy. I quickly asked my grandpa what channel this strange new game was on (well, I didn't call it a strange new game) and he said, "Channel 9."

I ran home shouting, "Carousel hit a homer!" I turned on the TV started learning about the game that afternoon, and have been hooked ever since.

That summer I remember my mom wanted to take me to get a haircut. I didn't want to miss the game (little did I know the barber, a cousin, was a Sox fan), and I cried all the way to his shop. That's when I found out there was no game that day. There was a movie on the TV.

That's a great story that's very well told. Thank you so much.

MiamiSpartan
05-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Since 1979.

Spicoli
05-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I was born after the 1972 season, so that would make this my 32nd baseball season as a Sox fan. Born into it, thankfully; I'm a lifer.

One of my favorite memories is watching Ray Rayner do the sports and weather report on WGN every morning. He used to have a two-billed baseball hat, one side the Cubs and the other side the Sox. He'd flip the hat in the proper direction indicating which team he was recapping the previous day's game. I would Booo! very loudly everytime he turned the hat in the Cubs direction, then demand total silence as he updated the Sox. Of course depending on how each team did, I would also do victory dances for the Sox and laugh histerically when the Cubs lost, etc. My mother was probably annoyed with being woken up 6:45 AM every morning, hearing me boo the Cubs and cheer the Sox; but she would always asked me if the Sox won and then asked, "The Cubs didn't win, did they?"

Another favorite memory is that every year I would collect Topps baseball cards, trying to get a full set by buying individual packages--not cheating like many collectors did/do. But I never wanted to have the Cubs in my set. I wouldn't put Cubs cards in the same box with the others--they had a paper bag. So my uncles and I started a tradition where every July 4th when the familiy would get together for a giant BBQ, go to the parade, fireworks, etc., I'd bring all of my Cubs baseball cards and we would blow them up with firecrackers. Good memories.

Realist
05-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Man these are some great stories. I've read the TornLabrun one about 3 times in various threads and it never gets old...

As for me, I am really the only sports fan in my family. My dad and I used to go to games occasionally doing the father son thing in the early 70's. We went to opening day for several years in a row. Mostly we went to the flubbies opening day and I was a flubs fan first and foremost through my early teens.

After the 1979 season, I became a Sox fan after watching Bill Buckner lead the league in batting average, Dave Kingman lead the league in HR and RBI and Bruce Sutter tie the NL record for saves and the flubs finished... 5th. I had to take a hard look at my allegiances and though I had never followed the Sox, I had been to a few games. I remember Mike Royko writing a bunch of columns saying he was switching from the flubbies to the Sox because he was convinced they would always be losers. It was a big influence. I made it out. Mike didn't.

1983 solidified my fandom forever, though I never did hate the flubbies and still don't. Mostly I just ignore them. I do feel sorry for their diehard fans - the ones who really know what is going on. It sucks to be them and every day I think of this tag...

:thankgod

You're exactly right. These are a great bunch of stories

Wow. I never knew your story, voodoo, and I'm a little bit shocked. I always assumed that you were born wearing a Sox hat. You leave no doubt that your conversion is complete.

wassagstdu
05-08-2005, 09:07 AM
:appling
Since Luke Appling Day, June 8, 1947. My first favorite was Cass Michaels (I sent him a get-well card when he got beaned. He never played again.) then Billy Pierce, Chico Carrasquel, Looie Aparicio, [fast forward] Ozzie Guillen, and Tadahito Iguchi!
:luis&nell

CubKilla
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
My father raised me a Sox fan since birth. I've seen baby pics of me in Sox gear. I'm 30 but can remember watching the Sox on Channel 44 as early as the 1980 season. 1983, for obvious reasons, is the first White Sox season I really remember as a kid.

surfdudes
05-08-2005, 10:34 AM
My granfather took me to a game in 72 to see Bill Melton and Richie Allen, Barber chair, Center field showers, etc..., and told me all about
the 59 team, and why Luke Appling was the greatest to ever wear a Sox uniform, and as a kid, he was with his grandfather and got to see Connie Mack
in the visitors dugout wearing a suit, which was his style back then.....
I was hooked!

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
12 seasons and counting. I'm also proud to say that I converted my dad from an Indians fan to a Sox fan.

Jurr
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
My earliest recollection of Comiskey Park and the Sox was probably 1982. I was three, but I somehow remember a lot that happened back then. I remember hearing the crowd chanting something at the game, and I asked my mom what "Detroit Sox" meant. I thought our team was the Sox, not Detroit! Well, my mom told me to just forget about it, and that's because she didn't want me learning a "Detroit SUCKS" chant that early in life.

As I got a little older, I remember sitting on the right field wall and screaming at Harold Baines, doing the "Haaaroooolld...Haarrrold" chants and yelling at guys like Kirby Puckett from time to time. "Hey, you STINK!" Ron Kittle became the guy that I'd always be when I would go out and play some baseball with the neighborhood kids. I still have a pair of batting gloves that John Cangielosi (for some reason, my favorite player on the team at that time) signed. Bobby Bonilla signed a mini bat once for me, as well. I remember being so upset when Bobby Bo left the Sox.

Yup...I'm a lifer. Dad took care of that one, and early. I can remember laying down in the little compartment of my dad's Vette as he and my mom would drive around (sounds safe, doesn't it) while listening to "Kiss him goodbye" on the radio, and I knew that was the Sox song. It's always been among my favorite songs, no matter what types of music I get into.

I love the White Sox. Through the Melido Perezes, Ivan Calderons, Tanyon Sturtzes, Scott Fletchers, Lyle Moutons, and Frank Thomases, I've cheered the boys on to victory (or threw stuff when they'd lose). Hopefully, one day I'll be able to chill with my girl and watch the Sox win it all. I'll probably cry all night. There's nothing better than sharing that stuff with a loved one.
http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41a34e1bze7db9fde/769a/__sr_/743b.jpg?phwkjfCBE6tGA239

ode to veeck
05-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Been a Sox fan since we moved to Chicago in '63 at the age of 6 and my dad and grandfather (both life long south siders) took me to games with their friends

Max Power
05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Since August 1990.
I grew up liking the Sox and Cubs, probably more the Cubs (I did grow up in Evanston). I had been to games at Comiskey and Wrigley, but it was a game against the A's in August of '90 ("the jock strap game") that made me a Sox fan forever. I'll never forget the atmosphere of the place that night, it made Wrigley seem lame in comparison.

WhiteSox16K
05-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I was to my first game in '90 (the last year of Old Comiskey) and I was 3, so I don't remember any of it. I guess my aunt was a HUGE Sox fan, but has since moved to Florida and I don't think she would know what a baseball looked like if she saw one. Anyways, my whole family was raised on the South Side and all brought me up to be a Sox fan. Since I started playing baseball when I was 7, I've been a really big baseball fan and loved the Sox. For some reason, growing up, my favorite player was Craig Grebeck, but maybe that was just to be different then my older brother who was a big Robin Ventura fan. So I guess I can say I've been a Sox fan since berth.

downstairs
05-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Since 1981, when i was 6.

TommyJohn
05-08-2005, 03:28 PM
1972-73. I remember being in front of the TV watching the Sox in those years.
My first game was in May of 1973 against the Yankees. I don't remember the
exact date, but I recall holding my father's hand and thinking that I was inside
our TV. I also grew up liking the Cubs :o: and liked both Bobby Murcer and
Dave Ding-Dong Kingman. I used to take my bat and helmet, go out in front of
my house and swing, pretending I was blasting long home runs for both the
Cubs and White Sox, even doing an imitation of Harry Caray while doing so.

My first White Sox and baseball hero was Dick Allen. To this day, I always like
to pick number 15 for things. When I was 4-5 years old I wanted to be Dick
Allen when I grew up. Unfortunately, I ended up more like Woody Allen.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 03:30 PM
1972-73. I remember being in front of the TV watching the Sox in those years.
My first game was in May of 1973 against the Yankees. I don't remember the
exact date, but I recall holding my father's hand and thinking that I was inside
our TV. I also grew up liking the Cubs :o: and liked both Bobby Murcer and
Dave Ding-Dong Kingman. I used to take my bat and helmet, go out in front of
my house and swing, pretending I was blasting long home runs for both the
Cubs and White Sox, even doing an imitation of Harry Caray while doing so.

My first White Sox and baseball hero was Dick Allen. To this day, I always like
to pick number 15 for things. When I was 4-5 years old I wanted to be Dick
Allen when I grew up. Unfortunately, I ended up more like Woody Allen.

LMAO. Hysterical. :D:

phanreign
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Since I was born in 1966 because of my Mom being a fan from 1959 on. Funny thing is my dad was a Cubs fan. I highly suspect the 1969 season killed him.

John
phanreign@aol.com
http://www.phantomreign.net

whtsx1959
05-08-2005, 03:40 PM
My first game was in 1990,
but I've been obsessed since 1998/99

FedEx227
05-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Fan since Februray 27th, 1987

bmac5001
05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Since Birth ('86). Though i don't remember being into baseball much during my infant/toddler years. Honestly the first year i remember being really big into sports in '95, when i was 9.

flo-B-flo
05-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Last year was 40 years following the Sox through ALL the ups and mostly downs. Went to 20 or so games in 1964 with my dad. My bro' and I got some bubble gum from Carl Yas when we heckled him for almost the whole game. I guess he thought we would shut up if he gave us gum. NOT!!

sox_fan_forever
05-08-2005, 04:57 PM
This is my sixth season as a Sox fan. I started watching them in 2000 when I was 13. My first game was in 1990 though.

I was raised a Braves fan because most of my family is from the South. However, even though I wasn't raised a Sox fan I was raised to dislike the Cubs. I am so thankful for that. I started watching baseball more in 1999 and then in 2000 I was hearing that the Sox were doing well so I started watching them. I've never looked back. I don't consider myself a Braves fan anymore, but I like them to do well so that the rest of my family is happy.

TwinGats
05-08-2005, 05:24 PM
sox fan since 1989 (don't remember the exact date) when i met robin ventura at a baseball card expo. i was four or five years old at the time.:bandance:

lonestar101285
05-08-2005, 07:13 PM
I didn't really become a big time follower of baseball again until the late 90s (something to do with that whole strike in 94) but when i did catch the occasional game it always was a sox game. All of the baseball memories that i had seem to be sox related early on (93 division winning team, 94 team that would have taken it all, the "what ifs" of the 97 team). Something about seeing a chicago baseball team playing in october 93 (around my 8th birthday) seemed cool to me at the time.

It wasn't until 99 when baseball caught my attention again (ironically as i watched on tv a game on a certain rainy sunday afternoon that the sox played at the urinal, thanks Mike Caruso). That particular game got me on the sox train and the brawl vs the kitties (still have a pic of Foulke's shiner) the next season (as well as the entire 2000 team) that kept me hooked and i have never looked back since. The reasons: They didn't back down and weren't contempt with losing.

It was a damn shame that i moved to tx that summer right after the sox ran the table on the road vs the indians and yankees. As bad as that was, it made me an even bigger sox fan as i followed them even more and has made me the fan i am today. Plus it makes those trips to Comiskey/Cell that i make annually even more special.

A championship this year will result in a few more years more stories of crossing over and stories of more fans pointing to this year as the year they became fans. If this year's version of the sox can pull off what hasn't been done in over 85 years in the city of Chicago, it seems that this october (the 20 year of my life) may turn out to be pretty cool as well.

mccoydp
05-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I didn't start watching baseball until 1990, but I chose the White Sox because they had that new guy (Frank Thomas). Then, in a stroke of luck, I spent my freshman year of college at the Illinois Institute of Technology, right across the Dan Ryan from the ballpark. I was there from 1992-1993.
Needless to say, I went crazy and watched as many games as I could live. Class kept getting in the way, though!

robiwho
05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
This is my 30th season as a rabid Sox fan -- and it looks like the 30th will be the best yet!

Andy T Clown
05-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Sox fan from birth 1960!

Hooked on baseball in the 1983 season.
Have not missed an opening day since.:gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
05-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I've been a Sox fan since 1990, when Ventura & Thomas first came up. My mom's dad was a die-hard Sox fan and passed away in June of that year; I was in 5th grade. I don't remember doing this, but according to my grandma, I started walking around with headphones on my ears a couple days after my grandpa's funeral. My mom asked what I was listening to and my response was, "The Sox, for grandpa." I've been a fan ever since and it just seems to get more intense every year. My grandpa would be loving this season if he was here. :smile:

Foulke29
05-08-2005, 11:05 PM
With it being in my blood, I was born in 1972 - so 1952 sounds about right - the year my father was born.

He was a dedicated Yankee hater by the age of four...

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
My first memories are really kind of blurry. I thought I became a Sox fan when I was either 5 or 6 years old, so I just went an looked at the starting lineups. The 1955 lineup is totally familiar to me, while I don't remember all the 1954 lineup. That doesn't mean it wasn't when I was 5 however, because how many kids that little really know all the players and remember them 51 years later?

schmitty9800
05-08-2005, 11:41 PM
When I was a kid I liked both the Cubs and Sox. I got really disappointed when the Cubs lost in 1989, and felt sad going to old Comiskey the last season it was there. But I still liked both teams, I'd watch Sox games at my house and Cub games at other people's houses because mostly they wouldn't have cable.

Then in 1991 the Cubs fired Don Zimmer. I was so mad that I started hating the Cubs, and the Tribune company who I blamed for his firing. In 1992 when I was nine I picked up a Frank Thomas rookie card, and then watched him start blowing the crap out of the ball. He became my favorite player and I started loving Black Jack, Wilson, Ventura, Tim Raines, etc. The switch back to pinstripes also made the Sox a lot cooler for me too.

The Racehorse
05-09-2005, 06:06 AM
:tomatoaward
You guys are slipping. :wink:

nccwsfan
05-09-2005, 06:57 AM
My first memory of watching White Sox baseball was 1979, so I can say I've been a fan since the Chet Lemon/Claudell Washington days. After 1983 I've been hooked for life....

Maximo
05-09-2005, 07:39 AM
47 years.

JRIG
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
My first memory is early 1984, when my dad took my to Comiskey for a Sox/Mariners game. We bought a pennant featuring a team picture from the '83 division winners. I still remember my first time seeing the field -- the glow from the lights shining through the staairway from the lower concourse. It was magical.

Since I was born in '80, I'd say that qualifies as "from birth."

1951Campbell
05-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Since birth, so 30 years now.

Sad
05-09-2005, 08:15 AM
since about the mid 70's...

irish rover
05-09-2005, 08:17 AM

RavenswoodFan
05-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I moved to Chicago in 97 and was swept up by the "Wrigley experience" then after a couple of games on the southside I quickley realized my mistake. I started going to SOX games and only SOX games in 98! I'm so glad I'm not a FLUBS FAN!!!!:tongue:

barryball
05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I remember the red pinstripes sitting in the left field granstands with my, dad, mom and brother. I was 8 and was magically transformed that day to be a White Sox fan, of course being the son of a South Sider who altered his honeymoon for the 59 World Series speaks volumes! The '72 team with Allen, Melton, Wood Bahnsen, Andrews etc... was an awesome team. The '77 Hit Men with Zisk and Gamble were fun to watch. The '83 team with that great pitching staff of Bannister, Burns and Dotson was awesome especillay that 10 inning masterpiece by Burns in the palyoffs. I watched that game at the "Jungle" at NIU in Dekalb. I was at the game in 1993 when we clinched vs. the Mariners on Bo Jackson's "Skyball" home-run to left field. My heart was broken in 1994 when we had the best team in baseball and the season ended in August!!!

I can only hope this is our year, I know we deserve it!!!
:gulp:

Harry Chappas
05-09-2005, 09:39 AM
I've been a fan since I was 7 and nervously approached a friendly Chet Lemon and Jorge Orta for an autograph while they were sitting in a mint Camaro outside of the players' lot. They not only granted me an autograph, but they gave me a game ball.

There's nothing better than being a Sox fan in a Cubs town. Our numbers may be few, but we're strong!

Mark
05-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Since 1973...in part due to a cousin, in part having no interest in rooting for a New York team (I grew up less than 20 miles from the House that Ruth Built), and in large part due to Richard Anthony Allen. Saw them live for the first time at Yankee Stadium early in the '73 season. I still miss those red uniforms.

In grammar school and high school I was the only White Sox fan around, and I often wore a Sox hat to HS baseball practice. Blew off a few college classes in Boston to watch Sox-Sox games at the Fens.

I just hope they can reward us all by winning the big one (heck, I'll take one playoff series at this point) some day, especially for those folks who suffered through 106 losses in 1970, the pennant race of 1967, all the closes finishes behind the Yankees in the early 1960s and the loss to the Dodgers in 1959. And just because I don't want the playoff sweep by Seattle to become a lasting memory for me.

Cracked a few smiles last night by thumbing through the White Sox Surf book which features every card of a White Sox player put out by Topps from 1952-86.

Red Sox fans said it often in 2004 but it bears repeating: "Why Not Us?"

MINFAN1
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I may just jump off a bridge if that ever happens...can't get any better than that, so leave while you're on top. :wink: I really don`t plan on leaving just yet. But, as far as jumping off a bridge if it happens. I will leave that to the cub fans.:wink:

SOXSINCE'70
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Sox since 70...by the way Melton didn't fall off his garage roof doing chores. The previous winter Melton's young son somehow climbed up on the garage, Melton went up there to get him down and fell while doing it.

No one including the Sox 'doctors' realized he was hurt. Melton went to spring training and his back started bothering him, he started the regular season but the back continued to hurt.

Finally tests revealed a herniated disk. The Sox doctors tried injections with an extract from Papaya if I remember correctly to try to shrink it back into place, there by taking the pressure off the nerves, but when that failed they shut him down for the year.

Sox G.M. Roland Hemond then went out and stole Ed Spezio from the Padres. He did a great job the rest of the way but he was no Bill Melton.

Lip

Duly noted.Thanks,Mark.

ChicagoHoosier
05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
I moved up here from Indiana in 1994 and was a Reds fan. It was easy to start following the Sox rather than Cubs since Sox were AL and not competing with the Reds. After the strike ended that season quickly, I followed the Sox more in 1995 and have been a growing fan every since, with 2000 really lighting the fire for me.So, only 10 years a fan. Got a ways to go to build the history many of you have!

mweflen
05-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Hmmm. Technically since 87, when my family moved here from MIL. However, We only got deep into it around 89. So I will go with 16 years.

mccombe_35
05-09-2005, 11:52 AM
since the late 80's for me. But I really fell in love with the early 90's team. Frank, Robin, Black Jack & the gang.

Paulwny
05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Since 1955, 50 yrs waiting for a WS Winner

pythons007
05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I've been a WhiteSox fan for my whole life (25 years). My parents used to take me to Sox games every year up until the strike year in 94. That was the season that the Sox got screwed. Thomas was having an unreal year with 38 homers and 101 rbi and an average in the 350s in only 113 games. I now buy tickets to Sox games and am currently trying to convert my girlfriend away from the darkside. Slowly she is starting to come around. GO SOX!!

Palehose Pete
05-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Twenty-two years. I was raised in Rockford, IL by my Cubs loving family and made to watch their games on WGN. Then in 1983, on the old TV in the basement of my house, I discovered White Sox baseball. Coincided nicely with the start of my teen years, so I had something to differentiate myself from the family.

This is a great thread. I like reading everyone's stories.

sdccpa
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I've been a fan since 1971 (7 years old). I remember watching Pat Kelly, Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen and the rest. I hated those A's teams in the early 70's. We couldn't beat them.

EastCoastSoxFan
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM
...basically since birth (in 1972), but one of my earliest Sox memories was Picture Day, I believe in either '79 or '80. My brother had his picture taken with Chet Lemon (his favorite player) and I had my picture taken with Lamar Johnson (my fave), Ralph Garr, and Alan Bannister...

aclaar877
05-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Well,

My first game was in '81; sat right behind Nancy and the organ. I was five years old, and cried at the noise that the fireworks made, my father tells me. '83 was the first year I really followed the team; what a year it was. I was there one night before the clinch against Seattle, left field upper deck right above Kittle. Baines hit one off the RF upper deck facade that night, Bannister struck out a ton in the shutout. If only KC would have lost, that would have been THE night.

I'll be at the game this Friday, first home game in fifteen years (due to the family moving away & joining the Army). Should be good. Winning Ugly again.

chisoxfan64
05-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I've always been a SOX fan. After all, my favorite past player is Nyls Nyman... that's something that just can't be fabricated by someone who isn't "in the know". :cool:

I have like 15 Nyls Nyman 1975 rookie cards. Seemed like every pack I opened that year had one in it. I never, ever, ever traded away sox cards no matter who they were.

TornLabrum
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
My first memories are really kind of blurry. I thought I became a Sox fan when I was either 5 or 6 years old, so I just went an looked at the starting lineups. The 1955 lineup is totally familiar to me, while I don't remember all the 1954 lineup. That doesn't mean it wasn't when I was 5 however, because how many kids that little really know all the players and remember them 51 years later?

I do! I do!

Chrisaway
05-10-2005, 01:39 AM
This is the quarter century mark for me (1980-2005). May this be our first World Series Champ in my lifetime:gulp:.

ClaudelSleptHere
05-10-2005, 01:46 AM
My dad took me to my first game in 1960, when I was seven, and I've been a fan ever since. Also rooted for the Braves when they were in Milwaukee, and switched to the Mets when they joined the National league.

Dick Allen
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
As luck would have it, 1960. My first memory of baseball was an older kid on the bus with a transistor radio saying the Sox were winning 11-0. That, of course, was Game 1 of the '59 series. I didn't really know much what was going on, I was only in 1st grade. But it all came together for me by the beginning of the following season.

dorsai23
05-10-2005, 10:39 AM
In 1959 at eight years of age I watched the Sox go down to defeat to the Dodgers and thought well next year they will be back. Doh!!! Still waitin.

Bucky F. Dent
05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm 38 years old, so that would be 38 seasons.

I was raised on White Castles and White Sox.:D:

tebman
05-10-2005, 01:13 PM
It would be easy for me to say that I've been a fan since birth but I don't remember much about what I did before I was five years old. :tongue:

My earliest Sox memory is from 1959, when I was five. And the next year the Sox installed the exploding scoreboard, a.k.a. The Monster. Talk about cementing a 6 year-old's allegiance! Goofy lights, fireworks, and all in a setting that had the rough-brick quality of my own neighborhood.

I've felt like I've been among friends for 46 years.

he_gone_89
05-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Sox fan since June,8th,1988 until the day I die

AZChiSoxFan
05-10-2005, 03:45 PM
My Dad is a White Sox fan, and I have been raised a White Sox fan. One of my earliest memories is listening to the Sox clinch on the radio in 1983 on a battery operated radio because the lights had gone out in our house. I had just turned five in August.

One thing that is interesting about my following the Sox as a kid is that we lived about 115 miles from Chicago and did not have cable television until the 1990 season. Prior to that, I loved White Sox baseball cards, and I would listen to the Sox on the clock radio in my room. Occasionally, on a dark clear night the Sox could faintly be seen on Channel 32 if you turned the antenna just right, and those were very special occasions for me. For this reason, the 1990 Sox team is my all-time favorite. They were not only a very fun team to watch, but they were the first team that I got to actually watch on a regular basis. In a way, I consider that the modern era of my Sox fandom.

The worst moment of my childhood as a Sox fan was the day I was listening to the radio, and I heard that Harold Baines had been traded for Scott Fletcher and two prospects who turned out to be Sosa and Alvarez. Harold was my favorite player, and I immediately jumped off my bed, slammed my door, got yelled at by my Mom, and sat on the steps waiting for my Dad to get home. I sobbed for about a half hour until my Dad came home. He asked me, "What's wrong?" I told him that Harold was traded to the Rangers for Scott Fletcher, some outfielder, and some minor league pitcher that is supposed to be pretty good. My Dad started cussing up a storm and said, "That Figures! Every time they get a good player they go and pull some S==T like this." That day was one of the worst days of my life.

One of the best days of my life was when my then girlfriend, now wife, took me to a White Sox game in 1996 to celebrate my high school graduation. She knew how obsessed I am about the Sox, and that I had never been fortunate enough to actually attend a game. The Sox had recently reaquired Harold, and I bragged all the way there that I just knew Harold would hit a homer for me. The Sox lost 4-2 to the Mariners, but it was a great day. I will never forget how green the grass was the first time I laid eyes on it, despite that we sat in the supposedly terrible upper level of the upper deck. I instantly had goosebumps up and down my arms. However, the best came in the bottom of the fifth inning when my girlfriend/wife went to get a pretzel with cheese. I refused to go with her because I did not want to miss a pitch at my first ever Sox game. Harold came up and almost hit a homerun down the right field line, but it just went foul. My goosebumps came back, and the hairs on my neck stood on end. I thought for sure he had done it for me. Then, two pitches later, Harold hit a low line drive that continued to rise all the way until it hit the batter's eye in center field. It was a bomb, and Harold had come through for me! I sat there speachless with a big grin on my face when Amy came back to our seats. I still will not let her live it down that she missed it. It was incredible.

Another cool note is that I named my Irish Setter after Ozzie Guillen when I was ten. I am pretty sure that I was the only kid in the world with a dog named "Ozzie Guillen."

Great Story!!

soxfaninnewyork
05-10-2005, 05:10 PM
July 1977...Sox vs Royals...Soderholm and Orta hit HRs in 6-4 comeback win on NBC

...this was the first time I got to see the Sox...loved the exploding scoreboard...Nancy Faust..."Na Na Hey Hey", even those ridiculous "pajama unis"...since then I followed them locally on WPIX (Ch 11) vs Yankees...on national TV (NBC/ABC/ESPN/WGN)...but never have gotten to see a game live UNTIL NOW...:D:

...June 22 (Nothing but Nancy day) will be my first LIVE game ever in Chicago...I know I'll feel like that same 11 year-old kid when his brother took him to his first baseball game in '76 at Shea Stadium when I get to US Cellular Field...can't wait!

GO SOX!
CUBS/RED SOX/METS SUCK!:bandance:

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
05-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Since Birth. It's in my blood.

My Dad took me to opening day '77 when I was 6 mos. old (at least that's what I'm told.)

chisox
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
my dad raised me an a's fan. but in 4th grade, when i started reading the box score on my own, i became a sox fan.

not to make you guys feel old. but that was in the days of black jack, the rock raines, ozzie at short, and karko.

Biftek354
05-11-2005, 08:58 PM
birth of course

PaulDrake
05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
In 1953 Eisenhower took office and my parents grew tired of their old hometown and decided to head off to Chicago. My father, a decent sandlot player was a die hard Pirate fan. He adopted the White Sox in his new hometown to have an American League rooting interest. I think it helped that a coworker introduced him to White Sox reliever Luis Aloma. By 1957 I was playing a little ball in the streets, alleys and parks around the neighborhood. A lot of Sox home games were on WGN way back then and I'd sit next to Dad while he watched and cheered for his team, the Chicago White Sox. Yeah, by this time Dad had pretty much forsaken the Pirates of his youth. Sometimes he'd even let me have a sip of his Meister Brau, which I suppose would be considered child abuse today. I can honestly say, it wasn't just a case of a little kid ( I was 6 and a half) trying to be like Dad. I really liked the team and Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso, and Nellie Fox were my favorites in just that order. The Sox came in second (they did that a lot in that era) to the Yanks in 1957. Lew Burdette and the Braves took care of the NYers in the first WS I remember. Lots of things, good, bad and indifferent have happened to me since then. I still remember the little kid that was me sitting next to Dad on our couch in the frontroom watching the White Sox on WGN. I still root for them after every thing both the White Sox and yours truly has been through.

RetireWoodys28
05-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Got my first mit and went to my first game when I was 5, 1972, The Year of Dick Allen. Been hooked since!

woodenleg
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Earliest I can remember are the early 70s Sox.

Funny story - my older brother wanted to be a ballplayer so bad, he got some white long underwear and drew red pinstripes on it with marker. Only he didn't have a very steady hand, and the pinstripes were all crooked and unevenly spaced.

Somewhere there's a picture of this - I'll have to dig through the archives, it's really funny.

Corkinator
05-12-2005, 08:04 PM
As long as I can remember. I remember Ron Hanson hitting a fould pop in the upper deck behind third base that landed in my popcorn box/megaphone thing. I must have 5 years old. didn't see it coming.

chisox
05-12-2005, 08:11 PM
great stories guys. i've definitely become a bigger sox fan since i've left the southside. can't wait to get back to the cell when i visit chicago in july.

soxfan26
05-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I was 6 in '83 and we went out to the ballpark at least 25 times that summer. I thought Comiskey was the greatest place on earth and have been hooked ever since.

GO SOX!

kevingrt
05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
18 years and 18 years old... Everyone in family Cub fans expect my mother, AWESOME MOM!!!...

Rudy Law
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Since as soon as I can remember comprehension of the game of baseball.....So I would say for 20 years...

Lip Man 1
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Cork:

Do you still have the ball?

Lip

dungball
05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
1971-my dad worked two jobs when i was a kid. i watched games with my grandfathers, one was a sox fan, one was a cubs fan. my grandfather who was a sox fan took me to my first game. that was all it took for me to become a rebel scum. i found i couldn't cheer for both teams in my heart. from then on it was down with the dark side, down with the empire, down with the cubs.

Gadfly
05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
:rolleyes: I was age 9 in 1948 when my uncle Gene brought me and cousin Bob to our first Major League event. It was a Sunday doubleheader at Comiskey between the Sox and the mighty WASHINGTON SENATORS.

We had been in 8th place (cellar) the entire season, but the 7th place Senators were coming to town sporting an 18 game losing streak. They were only a half game ahead of us! This was our chance! As I remember, the stadium was packed half full of great fans whose epithets doubled my vocabulary that day, as the Sox dropped both ends of a double bill. (We finished 49-103 that year I believe.)

James, my other uncle and the family brain, had stayed home, but heard it all from Bob Elson on the radio. "It was the first and only time Bob Elson ever cried" James said to me years later. But on that day the whole family assured me things would only get better for the White Sox.

Slowly, haltingly, surely, they were right. And I've been a drop-dead Sox fanatic ever since.

Gadfly

tebman
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
:rolleyes: I was age 9 in 1948 when my uncle Gene brought me and cousin Bob to our first Major League event. It was a Sunday doubleheader at Comiskey between the Sox and the mighty WASHINGTON SENATORS.

We had been in 8th place (cellar) the entire season, but the 7th place Senators were coming to town sporting an 18 game losing streak. They were only a half game ahead of us! This was our chance! As I remember, the stadium was packed half full of great fans whose epithets doubled my vocabulary that day, as the Sox dropped both ends of a double bill. (We finished 49-103 that year I believe.)

James, my other uncle and the family brain, had stayed home, but heard it all from Bob Elson on the radio. "It was the first and only time Bob Elson ever cried" James said to me years later. But on that day the whole family assured me things would only get better for the White Sox.

Slowly, haltingly, surely, they were right. And I've been a drop-dead Sox fanatic ever since.

Gadfly

Great story! Welcome to WSI -- you're among friends here.:cheers:

Vince
05-13-2005, 12:01 AM
I've been a sox fan since birth, back in 1975.

Plenty of memories over the years. The '83 season. Going to the last game at Old Comiskey, and the third at the new Comiskey. The '93 team. The agony and disillusionment of the '94 strike -- it turned me away from baseball for quite a while (that was our year!). I lived outside of Chicago for a few years, but came back in 2000, just in time to rekindle my love of baseball.

Just one anecdote from many Sox experiences:

A long time ago, in the 80's, my family went to a Sox game at old Comiskey and had possibly the worst seats in the house, last row in the lower deck. You literally couldn't see the field. My dad wrote a letter to Reinsdorf, and surprisingly enough, the Sox replied with an apology and four box seat tickets! Later when we went back those terrible seats had been removed.

I think people forget just how terrible some of the seats were in the old Comiskey (or that crumbling stadium on the North Side for that matter), whereas I've never had a bad seat in the new one.

This is a very special season so far, and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

gaelhound
05-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Pretty much since birth, but I first realized I was a Sox fan when I was 4 and got a pack of baseball cards, Topps. I was going through them with my dad and I got a Cubs card (the player escapes me), and my dad goes..."No, we don't like them. We never cheer for them." And the rest...is history.
Just like the scene in Rudy were the neighbor kid asks Rudy's dad if they could switch the chanel to the Michigan game. The old man has Rudy tell the neighbor that we only watch one team in this house-Notre Dame!
I remember watching the radio(thats right, imagination!)and cheering for Minoso.
First live action watching Pete Ward Ken Berry era Sox.
40 plus years sounds about right

itsjustinf
05-13-2005, 02:40 PM
This is my first post, so I thought it fitting that I start by telling how long I've been a fan. Born in 1983, I've been a fan every day since then. My dad and his dad were Sox fans, and I'm keeping the tradition alive. I remember being just a pint size sox fan, and literally resenting my mother's dad because he was a cubs fan. Stupid Cubs.

Church Turtle
05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
25 years, but for a long time I pulled for the ursa minors, too. I got over that.

White_Sock
05-13-2005, 04:01 PM
First game - 1986 - 4 yrs old

Fan for 19 seasons

IrishElvis
05-14-2005, 09:22 AM
35th Season!

Weirest memory, my Dad getting me up at 4am to head down to 35th & SHields to ge a piece of the Astroturf infield in 75.

aclaar877
05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Ever hear Lee Elia's 1983 rant on the "15% of the world that's not working" and come out to Wrigley on a daily basis? Third clip from the top, at:

Warning: Vulgar language

http://www.kenn.com/play/sounds.html

ChiSox14305635
05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Since 1983 (Winnin' Ugly) when I was not quite 7 yrs old.

Dan H
05-17-2005, 06:28 AM
I went to my first Sox game in 1961. Saw the Sox beat the Kansas Athletics 6-4. Have seen just about everything. That is why I love this great start, but I also know you have to finish what you begin.

C-Dawg
05-17-2005, 06:45 AM
My first game was in 1975, and being a little kid I had trouble telling the teams apart so I never knew which team was batting. Maybe if we had waited until 1976 I would have better been able to recognize the uniforms!

I believe my very next Sox game was against Detroit in 1977, at a very early spring Bat Day. I still have that bat amongst my most prized souvenirs.

DocWolf
05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
My earliest memories of life are of former Sox players like Ken Berry, John Romano, Gary Peters, Mike Hershberger and yes, the immortal Dick Kenworthy, who broke up a Dean Chance shot at a no-hitter in the 9th in one of my first visits to the old shrine. I even purchased one of the pathetic pay-per-view boxes that came out in the early '70's. Anyone remember the first telecast from Toronto with one camera view of the first baseline?:D:

ShoelessJoeS
05-17-2005, 06:39 PM
since the first time i stepped into the Cell in '91 but NOT LONG ENOUGH!!!!! :D:

TNSoxFan
05-19-2005, 10:56 AM
28 Years this year. Looking forward to 28 more. :D:

Cosmo
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Since the day they hired Chuck Tanner - '72? Same year I wrote off the northside for good!

steranim
05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I've been a Sox fan since Birth also, have growing up in a house full of Flubbies fans, I think every relative I have a &#%$# Cub fan. Dad carries the Die Hard Cub Fan Member Card in his wallet...in Georgia. So, 31 years of Sox cheer and family fued.And I'll drink to that!!! :gulp:

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Since '75 my first game. And that monster scoreboard made a big impression on me.

jackbrohamer
05-19-2005, 04:38 PM
I have vauge recollections of 1967 & '68; signed on for good in 1969.

Ditto.

PicktoCLick72
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Let's see I'm 20 years old so 20 years.

boiler up
05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
since i was born 19 years ago

Hoffdaddydmb
05-20-2005, 12:06 AM
4/24/82, the day I was born. I still remember the old park when I was little I'm not sure of the date but I believe my first game around the start of the '83 season. I remember the days of bobby thigpen, harold baines (first time around), dan pasqua etc. When I was 4 years old I was at the old Shakey's restaurant out in Orland Park off Lagrange ave. Low and behold 4 booths down is the might Carlton Fisk. Since my first game at Comiskey he's been my favorite. As the story goes he was there with his whole family having dinner. About halfway through our dinner we look over to see his entire family in a HUGE food fight. Pizza, rolls, whatever they could get their hands on was flying through the air. At this point my dad has convinced me to go get his autograph (he loved him too and was too shy himself). Just as the food fight was ending up walked up to his table and asked "Mr. Fisk can I please have your autograph?" Being the great guy that he was he quickly obliged, although he did have to pick some tomatoes from the pizza off his face. :smile: One other memory that stands out was when I was little and they had ribby and rhubarb. Somewhere tucked away in memorbilia I have a Rhubarb stuffed animal. Sorry for the nostalgia, just thought I would throw my two cents in.

P.S. GO SOX! Kick the scrubs ass tomorrow!:)

nedlug
05-21-2005, 08:22 PM
This is a good question - my family is mostly Cub fans, and I remember going to Wrigley one time when I was like 6 or so and Sandberg hitting a foul over to our seats. When I jumped into the aisle to get it, some drunk smashed my head into the concrete, but I managed to get the ball. Over the next couple of seasons, I remember watching SportsChannel alot and I remember really liking Hawk and Wimpy (especially Wimpy's yyooouuu doooo? - that was always hilarious to me). So I guess I'd say the last 13-15 years of my life I've been following the Sox. I didn't really become diehard until high school though.

Realist
05-21-2005, 08:24 PM
A whole bunch.

CardinalFanSox56
05-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Ive been a St Louis Cardinal fan all my life...but eversince the 2002 season and since then ive started to watch White Sox games im hooked.. I love there style and how they also HATE THE CUBS...

Andy T Clown
05-25-2005, 09:32 PM
44 years and looking forward to 44 more!:gulp:

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2005, 10:20 PM
" I'm never gonna leave you. I never gonna leave
Holdin' on, ten years gone
Ten years gone, holdin' on, ten years gone"

duke of dorwood
05-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I have memories back to 1955 games when I was 6-that makes this the big FIVE OH

tstrike2000
05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Since 1982 and die hard since the 1983 Winning Ugly team.

Straingage
05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Pretty much my whole life, I'm 30 now and my Father and I have been sharing season tickets since 1999.

Santo=Dorf's Dad
05-27-2005, 05:37 PM
I saw my first game in June, 1954 with my Dad and two family friends. Billy Pierce faced Whitey Ford and took a loss in a 9 inning performance. The Sox took a 1-0 lead with a Luis Aparicio single, stolen base (GO-GO-GO chant filling the park) and a Jacob Nelson Fox single to right. With the game 2-0, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra and Hector Lopez hit consecutive homers to seal the Sox fate. My heart was broken, but a love for a great ball team was born.

adidas773
06-02-2005, 09:39 AM
My father is a huge Sox fan, used to go Comiskey all the time. Thanks pops!!

Dan H
06-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I saw my first game in person in 1961, and it was against the Kansas City Athletics. Because I am been a fan for so long, I don't get overly excited over great starts or losing streaks. I have learned anything that can happen, will.

miker
06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
38 years. I was born a Sox fan thanks to my father who had the misfortune of being in Europe courtesy of the U.S. Army during 1959. I just hope the Sox can win it all while he's still with us.

soxGirl14
06-02-2005, 02:27 PM
this is my first season as a sox fan...i would say im a transplanted astros fan really...but i live in a western suburb where all it is cubs this and cubs that which already makes me hate the cubs because they're so over-rated

Even down at Illinois State its either cubs or cardinals, the sox are rarely mentioned, so because of this i never paid attention til i met my bf in january...and ive been watchin the games all season and im loving it!

i've learned so much about the sox and wish i had been a fan earlier! but better late than never right?

miker
06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
this is my first season as a sox fan...i would say im a transplanted astros fan really...but i live in a western suburb where all it is cubs this and cubs that which already makes me hate the cubs because they're so over-rated

Even down at Illinois State its either cubs or cardinals, the sox are rarely mentioned, so because of this i never paid attention til i met my bf in january...and ive been watchin the games all season and im loving it!

i've learned so much about the sox and wish i had been a fan earlier! but better late than never right?

:welcome:
Welcome to the wonderful world of the White Sox!

I have a friend who also is a Sox fan and Astros fan from back in the J.R. Richards era...probably before you were born. (Wow, I'm getting old!) Plus it gives him another reason to dislike the Cubbies!

As you know, he's only happy with one of those two teams this year.

JimK
06-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm going to make all of you feel a lot younger.
I was born in 1941. My Dad began taking me to White Sox
games in 1948.

We lived on the FAR South Side. It took an hour going North
to get to Comisky Park, before they built the expressway.

Go Sox

Jim

billcissell
06-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I inherited my preference for the Sox from my father. He was born in 1919 (Black Sox scandal) and oddly enough, grew up on the north side (Lincoln Park area) near Wrigley. However, even at a young age his allegiance was always to the White Sox on the other side of town. His only brother pitched in the Cubs' minor league system for a few years right after WWII.

When I was young, the Sox always seemed to be the second best team in the AL (before divsional play) behind the hated Yankees. The Cubs were terrible. I think when the Houston Colt .45s first came into the NL (1962?) they managed to finish ahead of the Cubs in the standings!

We moved to the northern suburbs in the early 60s. This was truly Cubland. I did find a few Sox fans, but we certainly were a minority.

So I've been pulling for the Sox for over 40 years now. The first time my wife and I ever dated (1982) I took her to a Sox game. She was a north sider and I felt she was culturally deprived since she had never been to Comiskey Park. She's a big-time Sox fan now, as are two of our three children. (The third one must be the mailman's kid, he is actually a Cubs fan).

Go Sox! This may be the year we've all been waiting for.

brucefan34
06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I was taken to my first Sox game when I was 5 ('76 or there abouts) years old by my Dad and grandfather. We had seats behind the 3rd base dugout and got there for batting practice. When BP was almost over one of the Sox came over to me and asked me to hold his bat, it was Wayne O. Nordhagen (that is how the bat was signed) and he never came back for it. I was a Sox fan from that day on...well until...

The White Flag Trade!!!

I was so pissed that I vowed I would never cheer for the beloved Sox again. I even burned all my Sox hats! (Dumb move those were expensive!) Well, after 10 years of "searching" for a team I am back home. My heart was always with the South Siders, I always looked at how they were doing, still followed the transactions. When they brought Ozzie in to manage that is what really pulled me back. Loved him as a player and always thought he would make a great manager.

I feel that I betrayed MY team and have taken a lot of ridicule for being a bandwagoner from Northsider friends. But the Sox are and always have been in my blood...thanks Wayne!

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Since 1993. I moved to Chicago them from Ohio. Grew up a Reds fan (still follow them). Hated the Cubs since they seemed to always beat the Reds. Started going to games at Comisky back in the early 90's pennant runs. Great team - fun to watch - I caught the bug. I started buying season tix in 2001. Now, I'm hooked for life. My kids were born in '98 and '99, and they go to about 10 games oer year with me. They are hooked for life now. One of life's pleasures - taking your kids to the ballpark, and seeing them get into the team, even though they are very young.

StillMissOzzie
06-09-2005, 02:41 AM
So I've been pulling for the Sox for over 40 years now. The first time my wife and I ever dated (1982) I took her to a Sox game. She was a north sider and I felt she was culturally deprived since she had never been to Comiskey Park. She's a big-time Sox fan now, as are two of our three children. (The third one must be the mailman's kid, he is actually a Cubs fan).

Go Sox! This may be the year we've all been waiting for.

Welcome to WSI!

I like to say "from birth", too, but it ain't quite true. Up until 1967, I watched both the sCrUBS and the Sox about the same, but most of the neighborhood was sCrUB fans. In 1967, when we moved to the next suburb farther west, I had two watershed events: 1) meeting some new friends who were also Sox fans, and 2) getting excited about my first pennant race.
The Sox ultimately broke my heart that year, as well as a few times since, but I have never looked back to the Dark Side. That makes 39 years, then, counting 2005.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxFanSince67
06-09-2005, 07:38 AM
38 years and counting

Luis Aparicio
Pete Ward
Ken Berry

OJAIsoxfan
06-11-2005, 09:50 AM
My Dad took me to a Cubs/Dodgers game in 1956. I was blown away until later in the season, I saw the Sox host Detroit. All through school, my friends and I would take a bus to the Des Plaines Avenue CTA station and take the train to Comiskey. I left in 1963, but I have made the California-Chicago trip every year since 2000 to see them play; have burned out two satellite dishes when SportsChannel Chicago provided the games free; now pay $169 a year to DishTV to watch games not on good old Channel 9; clearly remember Harry Creighton and Lloyd Bridges pushing Hamms beer; and wake up to MLB.com. How many Cubs "fans" are this devoted or even know that Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray were ever part of the Sox?

Cellview22
06-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I used to live in Georgia and followed the Braves.

I moved to Chicago in the late 80's and became a Sox fan around 1990. I went to the 1993 clincher, I was there waving my white sock with 40,000+ fans, that's still the best game I've ever been to.

Blob
06-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I have been a Sox fan since I can rememeber. Went to my first game in 1972 when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

I was bat boy for a day in '81. That, made me a Sox fan for life!

CaptUSN
06-11-2005, 07:13 PM
I was 5 in 1957:smile: ... I think since all the other kids in my neighborhood around the 400 block of N. Ridgeway were Cub fans... plus I really liked Nellie Fox and Louie Aparicio... I was always the smallest one in my group, so Fox and Aparicio appealed to me. Thought I would die after the '59 world series :angry: . Remained true to the Sox throughout my 32 years of Navy active duty and beyond... DIRECTV and the MLB package have been a god send...

broker3d
06-11-2005, 11:06 PM
since I was about 4, so about 30 years.:D:

wsoxgalkelly
06-12-2005, 04:43 PM
I cant remember being anything else!!!!:supernana:

Chisox003
06-12-2005, 04:48 PM
I used to live in Georgia and followed the Braves.

I moved to Chicago in the late 80's and became a Sox fan around 1990. I went to the 1993 clincher, I was there waving my white sock with 40,000+ fans, that's still the best game I've ever been to.

I was also at that game....6 years old, standing on my seat and waving that sock like it was my job...

I was a Sox "fan" before that, but after....Wow....Getting pulled out of 1st grade early to leave and go see that game, I was hooked :gulp:

eastchicagosoxfan
06-12-2005, 04:50 PM
My whole life. I went to plenty of Sox games on trips, and it was easy to go to the old park.

LongLiveFisk
06-12-2005, 05:28 PM
:tomatoaward :tomatoaward
A double-tomato and still going strong.

AJPosguchi
06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
40 Years and counting... (Since birth)

Straingage
06-13-2005, 03:57 PM
I've been a Sox fan now for 31 years, pretty much since I was a zygote have been to many memorable games at both the old and new park. Remember skipping school just to watch the Sox play the 83 ALCS. Followed the Sox for one year to all there road games just to see the parks and Sox in 2003 to bad the season ended the way it did. Witnessed first hand the day the Yankees pitched a no-hitter and lost in the old park, I heard they later change the scoring to a one hitter is that true?

bear_brian
06-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I have been a die hard Sox fan since 1956, Luis Aparicio's rookie season, which makes this my 50th season following my beloved White Sox.

On a separate but somewhat related topic - I inherited my love for the Sox from my grandfather. He loved the Sox and absolutely hated the Cubs. I used to feel sorry for him when he told me that the last World Series appearance for his White Sox had been 1919, and was absolutely elated for him (and for me) when the Sox won the pennant in 1959, forty years later. Now, I have become my grandfather, having endured 45 years (and counting) of nary a World Series appearance.

Here's hoping that this year is truly the year!!

SakMann67
06-14-2005, 12:22 AM
I beleive my father took me to my 1st Sox game in 1975. If i look hard enough I may have the ticket stub. In 1983 I was at the Division Winning Game & went out onto the field @ Old Comiskey. I grabbed a clump of grass from the outfield & still have it in a ziplock bag. I was also at the Division Clinching game in 1993 when Bo Jackson went yard. The seat I was sitting in was the last row upper deck in section 558, a seat that no longer exists, with the remodeling.

crash75
06-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I grew up in Iowa where it seemed most people I knew were Cubs fans, but they never appealed to me. The church I was a member of used to sponsor a bus trip to the Metrodome to watch the Twins every year simply because that was the closest major league ballpark. In the summer of '89 when we went the Twins were hosting the White Sox. The Twins won, but my best friend and I really became attached to the White Sox that day and have been ever since.

I've been a White Sox fan for sixteen years now.

MasQbellesa
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I went to see the Angels play the Sox in September 2004...didn't have a clue about the players, but i took my radio to listen to the game. I was so impressed with what the ANGELS radio announcers had to say about Ozzie and the team that I returned to see them play all three games that weekend. After that weekend, I couldn't get enough of the White Sox. As you can see when i joined this site, I followed every story through the end of the season and all winter and even went to Arizona for 3 games. So I'll admit...i'm a newbie...but a dedicated one now. GO SOX! :D:

tebman
06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
I beleive my father took me to my 1st Sox game in 1975. If i look hard enough I may have the ticket stub. In 1983 I was at the Division Winning Game & went out onto the field @ Old Comiskey. I grabbed a clump of grass from the outfield & still have it in a ziplock bag. I was also at the Division Clinching game in 1993 when Bo Jackson went yard. The seat I was sitting in was the last row upper deck in section 558, a seat that no longer exists, with the remodeling.
:welcome: I was at the '83 game the night before when the Sox clinched a tie for the Division. A crowd ran on the field, then sat down to watch the Royals game which was put on the scoreboard's video screen. The Royals won, so the clincher had to wait until the next night -- and you were there!

Welcome aboard, SM67! You're among friends here.

tebman
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
I grew up in Iowa where it seemed most people I knew were Cubs fans, but they never appealed to me. The church I was a member of used to sponsor a bus trip to the Metrodome to watch the Twins every year simply because that was the closest major league ballpark. In the summer of '89 when we went the Twins were hosting the White Sox. The Twins won, but my best friend and I really became attached to the White Sox that day and have been ever since.

:welcome: Good call, Crash! Sox fans are by far the smartest in Chicago, and arguably the wittiest in MLB. You've demonstrated 16 years of good judgment! :wink:

21whitesoxway
06-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, I attended my first Sox game when I was 2, so i guess 19 years.

Falstaff
06-15-2005, 06:12 PM
1972, power failure on 55th Honore, I'm 11 and the neighbors are all sitting out in front in the dark on the sidewalk with transistor radio listening to Sox battle A's..... Dick Allen homers and Cy Acosta threw the save. Hooked ever since. :gulp:

yoester
06-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Since 1983's Winning Ugly season! Followed the team religiously ever since.

bobbing
06-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Been a sox fan since 1961 when I was 6

4th Gen. Sox Fan
06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Since birth, born into a Sox family

Record w/ me in attendance: 3-0

joshua1024
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
My first heroes were Pete Ward, Dave Nicholson, Floyd Robinson and John Buzhardt. They didn't hold a candle to my all-time favorite, Walt "No Neck" Williams, though. I went to the White Sox Boys Camp in 1969, when the team won (I believe) 56 games the whole year and the Cubs took the City by storm. I was in Comiskey Park when Neil Armstrong and "the Eagle" landed on the moon. I was in Comiskey Park when the Cubs won their division in 1989. Now I live in Washington, D.C. and rarely see the Sox in person (annual trips to Baltimore the obvious exception). Time changes nothing, though: I love the Sox, I love the Sox, I love the Sox, I love the Sox. And this year is just sublime.:redface:

EdHerman12
06-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I came out of the womb wearing pin striped diapers in '63...seriously though I really, as a wee lad, enjoyed my Dad ranting at the TV when the Sox were on WGN and then when I was 5 we got our first color TV, and by that time the Sox were having problems between '68 and '70. I attended my first game(a double header against the Seattle Pilots) in '69. I remember my Dad ranting that the Sox were going to move to Milwaukee...actually they played some games up there before the Pilots moved to Brew town in '70. The Sox then went onto WFLD-32...I know Jack Drees was one of the announcers and soon Chuck Tanner, Harry Caray, and Dick Allen hit town, the boys put on Red pin stripes and they were pretty good on '72....just couldn't beat Oakland!:sockem <-------anyone remember John Jeter?

Really though I can't imagime backing anyone else. I hate the Cubs....why this town has such a love affair with that organization I'll never know. I have so many memories of the Sox over the years...I was at old Comisky the night they won the old West division in 1983....I can still see Julio Cruz jumping in the air and landing on home plate....so many great things...and some not so great things.....I miss the old park. It's too bad some of the younger guys that are on this site didn't experience some of those great days of yester year.....:beer <-----remember when they were one of the sponsors?

Alright enough emotion...I've been a fan since I was 4...'67.....darn Kansas City A's ruined that season:angry:

GO SOX! :jon <-------------GOING FOR #12!

joshua1024
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
:whiner: Ya got to admit: in the early 1970s, the Sox announcers (yes, Jack Drees and even, with all due respect, Billy Pierce) were not exactly the most dynamic, effervescent of announcers. They put me to sleep, in fact. Worse still, a clear signal was rarely available from WFLD-Channel 26 (pre-cable). Bottom line, the White Sox (circa 1970-71) were not a team one tended to fall in love with, watching them on TV. As much as I loved Buddy Bradford, Carlos ("No Thumb") May and my #1 idol of idols, Walt Williams, the team was nowhere with nothin', charisma-wise.

joshua1024
06-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I've been a Sox fan now for 31 years, pretty much since I was a zygote have been to many memorable games at both the old and new park. Remember skipping school just to watch the Sox play the 83 ALCS. Followed the Sox for one year to all there road games just to see the parks and Sox in 2003 to bad the season ended the way it did. Witnessed first hand the day the Yankees pitched a no-hitter and lost in the old park, I heard they later change the scoring to a one hitter is that true?

I was at that game as well. They didn't change the scoring to a one hitter; they just decided that it wasn't an official "no hitter" because they Yankees' pitcher didn't get to pitch the ninth inning (the Yankees having failed to score in their frame). The score of that game was, I believe, 4-1, with the White Sox scoring 4 runs through a variety of misplays, walks, balks and other non-hits.
Can anyone back me up on that one?

tebman
06-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I was at that game as well. They didn't change the scoring to a one hitter; they just decided that it wasn't an official "no hitter" because they Yankees' pitcher didn't get to pitch the ninth inning (the Yankees having failed to score in their frame). The score of that game was, I believe, 4-1, with the White Sox scoring 4 runs through a variety of misplays, walks, balks and other non-hits.
I wasn't there, butI saw it on TV -- what a wild game! Here's a summary of the July 1, 1990 game from http://www.thebaseballpage.com/present/fp/al/nyy.htm

"This team (Yankees) was epitomized by the events of July 1st, when the Yanks were in Comiskey versus the White Sox. Journeyman Andy Hawkins (84-91, lifetime) was pitching the game of his life and, with two outs in the eighth inning, was four outs away from his wildest fantasy: a no-hitter. Then Sammy Sosa knocked a bouncer to Mike Blowers, which should've ended the inning. Instead, E-6, runner on first. Hawkins then missed on a 3-2 pitch to Ozzie Guillen, for a walk, then, flustered, he walked Lance Johnson on four straight. Sacks jammed, no-hitter intact. The next batter, Robin Ventura, hit a lofty, can-of-corn pop-up to left-fielder Jim Leyritz. Leyritz proceeded to spin the wrong way, and basically wobble himself out of position. A last second lunge wasn't quite good enough…and a two base error scored all three runs. To pile on the insult, the next batter, Ivan Calderon, hit a similar fly ball to centerfielder Jesse Barfield, who lost the ball in the sun, did a similar dance, and let the fourth run of the inning score. When Hawkins finally did get out of the inning, yes, his no-hitter was still going...but he was on the wrong end of a shutout. And, no, the Yankees didn't score in their half of the ninth, making Andy Hawkins the owner of a no-hitter…just not the one he'd hoped for."

DumpJerry
06-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I was there. We gave him a standing O when he walked off after the 8th. The Spanks did not score. The Sox pitcher was perfect into the 5th. The next outing for Hawkins read like this: IP:10 R:1. Yes. He went 10 innings to lose 1-0 in the 10th. The bums could not score one measly run for him in the first nine!

When they re-defined a "no-hitter" a few years later as being a game in which the pitcher goes at least 9 innings, he lost the official designation.

throwsoftjax
06-21-2005, 06:25 PM
been a fan since birth

balaspa
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I became a Sox fan about 1975. Granted, I didn't become an insane, rabid fan until sometime in the 80s. Since I was born in 1971, I basically declared myself a Sox fan, much to my lifelong Cubs fan father's chagrin. There are pictures of me as an infant with a Cubs hat on my head. My dad's brother was babysitting one day and I saw a team picture of this baseball team in powder blue uniforms and red hats. I asked who they were...and was told The White Sox. I never looked back...and broke my dad's heart. I remember become a true follower and devotee sometime right around or just after Disco Demolition. I have never thought of changing allegiance, although I nearly gave up on the game of baseball entirely after that strike in '94... This season has been great, and the team has been great and I am just strutting around like I actually had something to do with it!

joshua1024
06-23-2005, 04:50 PM

This entry makes me think back, with nostalgia and sadness, at a game I once watched on TV with a high school friend .... an away-game; a late afternoon, late September affair in the early 1970s against the Twins; grainy black and white TV picture on (I assume) channel 32. The Twins had a rookie catcher up to bat, Herman Hill. His name was so distinctive; my friend and I decided that (although not a Sox'er), we were going to follow Herman Hill's career like hawks. Wherever he played, as long as he played, we were going to be Herman Hill experts . . . . That winter, Herman Hill drowned while swimming in (I believe) Panama, during the winter ball season. I'll never forget that guy.:(:

Rich McKinney
06-23-2005, 07:39 PM
The first game I went to was in 1968 when the Sox had fallen from a top division team to one that employed Ken Boyer, Rocky Colavito and Leon Wagner at the ends of their careers.
I'm old enough to remember the pain of watching Bobby Knoop and Wayne Causey try to hit about a decade before Claudell Washington stunk up right field.
But, who could ever forget that home opener in 1970 when Rich McKinney drove in BB Richard from second with a deep fly to center field to win the game in the ninth! That was the highlight of the year as the Sox continued to suck prior to the Dick Allen era.
1977 was the best, though. It was like a rock concert every night in the summer that season. One writer referred to Comiskey as "Chicago's largest open-air tavern."

LovedemSox
06-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I recall my dad getting tickets through his company (Hines Lumber) and taking us to games in the mid sixties, sitting a few rows behind the home dugout.

I recall he'd try to trick us by saying "Now watch as I push this button under the yellow railing." As he "pressed" on the railing, the umpire's ball box would appear from underground with new baseballs.

We (my brothers and I) would spend part of the inning trying to find that d**n button!!

Having gone to the Illinois College of Optometry (33rd and Michigan) during the early '80's, I was in heaven since going to games meant simply cutting through IIT's campus.

Memorable games:
Watching a meaningless late season game on TV--the pitcher was going to intentionally walk Dick Allen, and he SWUNG AT TWO PITCHES OUT OF THE STRIKE ZONE!! (He eventually took the walk.)
Disco demolition night with my 2 brothers (no, we didn't go onto the field--first, it would have been hard jumping from upper deck box seats, and second, we wanted to see the second game!!! We didn't get to our seats until about the 8th inning.)
Sitting in the left field upper deck (first row!!) during 1990's turn-back-the-clock game---I still have my T-shirt around here somewhere.
Taking my 3 year old son to a game during old Comiskey's final season.
Attending the first game at new Comiskey (and leaving early since we were getting hammered by the Tigers.)
Going to a Bluejay's playoff game with my brothers and my dad (lost, d**n it!)

Final thought--I once got my name printed in the Cubune years ago--one of the writers used to have a quiz called the QUIDNUNC. The question--name the only major league player who can wear his birthday on his back. I wrote back Carlos May, since his birthday was the 17th, and his jersey read "May 17" on the back.

soxfanreggie
06-24-2005, 08:10 AM
I have been lucky enough to be a Sox fan for 20 out of my 20 years...so since the day I was born and my dad held me on his lap to watch the Sox. I think the reason I turned out so awesome was that my mom was pregnant with me when my parents were attending Sox games with friends. :cool: Over the years, my parents took my sister and I to games making it a family outing. I am lucky enough to have been to probably 100 Sox games, which is pretty good for living over an hour away. I have also had the pleasure of traveling to Tampa to see the Sox play as my parents live 40 min. outside of Tampa. I hope to make it down to Arizona sometime for spring training as I used to be a regular when they were in Sarasota.

I could see it as no better birthday present than to see the Sox win the World Series, which would conveniently happen around my birthday :D: