PDA

View Full Version : Cubs have a major problem to address

Fenway
05-07-2005, 02:14 PM
ESPN and many of the visiting team television outlets are fed up with the Cubs lighting system and want it addressed now. The MLBPA is also concerned.

The Cubs lighting system is ranked 30th of all the parks and as more and more television outlets move into televising road cames back to their home markets in HD the resulting picture looks terrible.

Obviously a big part of the problem is the Cubs refusal to install lights in the outfield behind the bleachers and they try to point out that other parks do not have lights there. :?:

The only park that comes to mind is Yankee Stadium BUT they have light banks beyond the foul poles so that is bogus.

Then they say the City of Chicago won't let them ( Why because it may block the view of the rooftops? )

There are a number of AAA and AA parks that have better overall lighting than Wrigley. It has to be corrected soon or they may find themselves playing day baseball again.

jdm2662
05-07-2005, 02:22 PM
But it's still a great place to play! How dare you rip on Wrigley!!!
________
ANF125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_ANF125)

Banix12
05-07-2005, 02:38 PM
ESPN and many of the visiting team television outlets are fed up with the Cubs lighting system and want it addressed now. The MLBPA is also concerned.

The Cubs lighting system is ranked 30th of all the parks and as more and more television outlets move into televising road cames back to their home markets in HD the resulting picture looks terrible.

Obviously a big part of the problem is the Cubs refusal to install lights in the outfield behind the bleachers and they try to point out that other parks do not have lights there. :?:

The only park that comes to mind is Yankee Stadium BUT they have light banks beyond the foul poles so that is bogus.

Then they say the City of Chicago won't let them ( Why because it may block the view of the rooftops? )

There are a number of AAA and AA parks that have better overall lighting than Wrigley. It has to be corrected soon or they may find themselves playing day baseball again.

I was wondering when someone was going to get on their butts about the lighting. With the cubs switching to more night games it's just going to become more of an issue. There are likely some alternatives to putting lights in the outfield bleachers, which I am sure the neighborhood would veto. best option I can think of is attach some to the top of the scoreboard and put more along the sides, of a much stronger type of light.

TDog
05-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Not televising night games from Wrigley Field is the obvious solution. And the solution certainly would not be a problem.

DumpJerry
05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Heck, just tear down the dump and move the team to Las Vegas!

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Time to contract the sCrUBbies!!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Lip Man 1
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Fenway:

Is there a link to this story someplace?

Lip

I want Mags back
05-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Like thtas gonna happen

Stroker Ace
05-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Heck, just tear down the dump and move the team to Las Vegas!I like your thinking!

C-Dawg
05-07-2005, 10:08 PM

I remember the first time I saw them on TV in 1988, at night, I kept thinking "What's wrong with the lights? Are half of them burned out?" On TV it really looks like its badly lit.

SaltyPretzel
05-07-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the decision not to have lights in the outfield had nothing to do with the city. The Cubs didn't want to spoil the pristine appearance of their beautiful bleachers.

BWT, the Cubs have a lot more problems to address besides their lighting. :wink:

Brian26
05-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Like thtas gonna happen

Vegas, maybe not.

However, there's a nice little field in Schaumburg all-ready to go for them. Even the outfield dimensions are exactly the same as the Urinal.

jake27
05-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Vegas, maybe not.

However, there's a nice little field in Schaumburg all-ready to go for them. Even the outfield dimensions are exactly the same as the Urinal.oh god no, thats like 20 minutes away from me :o:

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Attention all Cubbie fans - if you go to a night game, be sure to bring your torches. Not those British torches; good old flaming ones, like the ones the peasants carried to Dracula's castle. The Cubs' management needs your help in brightening up the Wrigley Field.

Banix12
05-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure the decision not to have lights in the outfield had nothing to do with the city. The Cubs didn't want to spoil the pristine appearance of their beautiful bleachers.

BWT, the Cubs have a lot more problems to address besides their lighting. :wink:

It has a bit to do with the city. To put in light towers behind the bleachers means building them on the sidewalk. The cubs now own the sidewalks I believe with the new stadium agreement, but before they didn't.

Also, the cubs have to clear any new construction with both the local neighborhood government at the city government, and now the council on historical sites I beleive.

Whitesox029
05-08-2005, 01:39 AM

That's funny...there's this other ballpark in the very same city that has outfield lights...call the police! They must have been defying city orders!

TDog
05-08-2005, 01:52 AM
It has a bit to do with the city. To put in light towers behind the bleachers means building them on the sidewalk. The cubs now own the sidewalks I believe with the new stadium agreement, but before they didn't.

Also, the cubs have to clear any new construction with both the local neighborhood government at the city government, and now the council on historical sites I beleive.

If they played all of their games during the day, this wouldn't be a problem.

Oddly enough, they can't light the field sufficiently at night for television, and they only play night games because they want the games on television. If the Cubs sell out or nearly sell out every weekday game anyway, there is no reason to play games at night to bring more fans in the stadium.

Oh, the irony.

Dan H
05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm with DumpJerry. Moving the team to Las Vegas is a great idea. It would make things real convenient for Greg Maddux, and maybe Cub fans will follow the team.

DumpJerry
05-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm with DumpJerry. Moving the team to Las Vegas is a great idea. It would make things real convenient for Greg Maddux, and maybe Cub fans will follow the team.
I realize that there is another reason why it would be fun if the Flubs moved to Vegas. Vegas has two guys who live there named Frank Thomas and Aaron Rowand. Too bad they wil be too busy playing baseball to heckle them or host any parties at their homes to watch the playoffs or World Series on the telly......:D:

Now, we all know that Vegas wants a MLB and NBA franchise real bad, but I'm sure they don't want a MLB team so bad that they'll take the Flubs.......

Fenway
05-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Fenway:

Is there a link to this story someplace?

Lip

saw the memo at work :smile:

Sun-Times has been made aware of it

Fenway
05-08-2005, 02:18 PM
That's funny...there's this other ballpark in the very same city that has outfield lights...call the police! They must have been defying city orders!

well in the White Sox case they tore down the rooftops ( Robert Taylor homes ):smile:

Joosh
05-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I wonder if they'll want our One of a Kind Billboards with Lighting Banks already attached! What a bargain!

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 05:56 PM

Las Vegas would be a pretty good fit for most of the Cubs' fans anyways. Not a bad idea!

Wsoxmike59
05-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Attention all Cubbie fans - if you go to a night game, be sure to bring your torches. Not those British torches; good old flaming ones, like the ones the peasants carried to Dracula's castle. The Cubs' management needs your help in brightening up the Wrigley Field.

http://www.photography-museum.com/mutter/fanslightpostlg.jpg

Hitmen77
05-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Poor lighting, obstructed seats, dank concessions area, trough urinals, etc. Sox fans just don't get it - these are the reasons why Wrigley is so great! Only Sox fans are stupid enough to think that a ballpark without all of these qualities is a better place to watch a game!

It's amazing that the Tribune has been able to convince most people that this place is a shrine. It's a testament to their great marketing and the stupidity of the average consumer.