PDA

View Full Version : Could Thomas NOT Need Charlotte?

Lip Man 1
05-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Story in Saturday Tribune. Notice positive comments about Frank in the field and Williams' comments.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050506soxbrite,1,4984510.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Maybe?

Lip

NSSoxFan
05-07-2005, 01:31 PM
It's all up to Frank. If he thinks he can go without a rehab assignment, then let's go...

White Sox Josh
05-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Story in Saturday Tribune. Notice positive comments about Frank in the field and Williams' comments.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050506soxbrite,1,4984510.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Maybe?

LipI think he needs rehab because he has pretty much been out for a year. I don't think he needs 100 at bats though. Probably a weeks worth would be fine.

Bisco Stu
05-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Rehab. We're battling for homefield advantage, let him work out the kinks in the minors. That's why the minors are there--to serve the majors.

GiveMeSox
05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I think he needs rehab because he has pretty much been out for a year. I don't think he needs 100 at bats though. Probably a weeks worth would be fine.

Yeah I agree with that completely. There is still some rust to get off that will be there plus he needs some at bats dont count since he missed spring training.

White Sox Josh
05-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah I agree with that completely. There is still some rust to get off that will be there plus he needs some at bats dont count since he missed spring training.I'm sure BMac wants Thomas to do a rehab in Charlotte.

krohnjw
05-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Heck, I want him to play in Charlotte (so I can see him play a few games :rolleyes: ). All news seems to be good though after it seemed like only bad news and more delays were being reported.

santo=dorf
05-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the AAA pitchers will be too afraid to pitch to him and he'll just end up walking in nearly every at bat?

Chisox003
05-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the AAA pitchers will be too afraid to pitch to him and he'll just end up walking in nearly every at bat?

Naa I doubt it....The pitchers are there to prove something too...

What better than making a hall of famer look bad?

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I think he needs at least a few games in order to get back into the routine of playing every day. He looks great in batting practice and when facing live Sox pitchers in workouts, but that's not the same thing as playing in actual game. I'd say he needs about a week, and then he'll be ready to go again. The last time the subject of Thomas' rehab stint was mentioned, Ken Williams talked about him getting fifty at-bats. I'm thinking that 25-30 should be enough now.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Naa I doubt it....The pitchers are there to prove something too...

What better than making a hall of famer look bad?

Agreed. The young guys are going to be jumping at the chance to get him out. If I were a minor league pitcher, I'd want to face him just to see where my stuff is at.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

The Sox initially wanted Thomas ready to play first base because they play interleague games at Colorado and San Diego on June 6-12 in which a designated hitter won't be used.

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK...

swanson24
05-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Is it too late to insert a poll question for this thread? I'm kind of new to WSI so I don't know what the rule is? I only ask because it would be interesting to see what all Sox fans really think?

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Give him 25 ABs in Charlotte, then bring him up. He doesn't have to play every day right away and when he's not, he can play 16" softball across the street from the park.

scottyl
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
If Dye continues to pick up the pace offensively, where would Frank fit in, in a non-interleague situation?

IlliniSoxFan
05-07-2005, 04:16 PM
If Dye continues to pick up the pace offensively, where would Frank fit in, in a non-interleague situation?

I think that this is the best question - where do we fit Frank in? Does Everett become a sometime player, a la Timo?

PAPChiSox729
05-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I think that this is the best question - where do we fit Frank in? Does Everett become a sometime player, a la Timo?

I think that once Frank comes back, Everett will be back on the bench. It will be nice to have a guy like Carl able to pinch hit.Plus, for a bench player, he will get a lot of ABs. I think Frank should spend some time in the minors, just to get his swing up to par. Regardless this team will be very scary once Frank returns.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Nobody knows whether Frank can play 1B anymore. If he can, it's possible the Sox may give him some starts (alternating with Konerko) during games. That would allow Everett to DH, and Dye to remain in the outfield. However, it's highly unlikely (IMO) that Frank will ever play the field again, and so I would imagine that we will see Frank start at DH, and then Ozzie will rotate the four outfielders, depending upon matchups and who's hitting well. Frank, of course, will occassionally receive days off, which will allow other players to play.

We'll have to see what happens. If Frank is hitting right out of the gate, he'll be in the lineup every day. If he's not, Ozzie may try to ease him back into the routine play giving him frequent days off. I could see Frank playing three or four games and then sitting one. I could also see him resting against certain right-handed pitchers, which he has already said he would be willing to do if he's struggling.

Lip Man 1
05-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I think Ozzie will use a revolving door policy depending on who the opposition pitcher is, where the game is being played (for example, a park with Astro-Turf, or a park with dimensions that favor a left hander or a right hander), and which Sox hitter may be slumping.

I think you'll see Frank, Carl, Dye, Konerko and maybe even Roward sit on occasion (with Pods moving to center at times). However just my opinion, I think you'll be seeing those other guys sitting a lot more then Frank if he comes back and shows he can still hit, hit for power and draw a walk.

Lip

jabrch
05-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK...

With his foot RK, I hope they don't play him at 1B. I'd hate to see him get injured that way.

jabrch
05-07-2005, 09:14 PM

I still think that would secure 1 day off per week for Pods, Rowand, Dye, Everett and possibly PK (who's on first?). Then Frank could get 5 games per week.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
With his foot RK, I hope they don't play him at 1B. I'd hate to see him get injured that way.

I know. I probably should have used teal.

I want Mags back
05-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I think he needs a little time, just to insure hes fine

MUsoxfan
05-07-2005, 09:53 PM
It still blows my mind that the Sox are 23-7 without the OBP Frank provides.

:boston

"Yeah MU, but Frank's OBP is the bad kind of OBP you really don't want on your team."

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 09:57 PM
It still blows my mind that the Sox are 23-7 without the OBP Frank provides.

:boston

"Yeah MU, but Frank's OBP is the bad kind of OBP you really don't want on your team."

I think the rest of the American League is in trouble when he comes back.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
I think the rest of the American League is in trouble when he comes back.

Oh yeah, if he's the same as last year look out. And I don't see any reason why he won't be as long as that injury doesn't bother him. He's probably got two or three '03 type years left in him. Maybe not as many as 42 homers, but 35+ with a .410 on-base is reasonable. His effect on the lineup will be huge and by that time, hopefully Rowand, Konerko, Dye and Pierzynski will have gotten in a groove and hitting like their capable of--which should happen in time regardless, but intensified by Thomas' presence. We'll see that this is a very potent lineup and probably a lot less one-run games.

Flight #24
05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Give him 25 ABs in Charlotte, then bring him up. He doesn't have to play every day right away and when he's not, he can play 16" softball across the street from the park.

I can already see Frank "staying warm" on his days off by joining the kids in the wiffle park at Fundamentals!!!

Tragg
05-08-2005, 01:16 AM
How's that going to work having 2 players who can really only play DH (I guess they can play in the field in the crunch). We could use an outfielder.