PDA

View Full Version : Answer to the trivia question

Moses_Scurry
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Kansas City, Oakland, Pittsburgh and the Whitesox are the only teams in the major leagues who have not scored 10 or more runs in a game this season as of 11:42 am 5/6.

Am I the only one that finds it absolutely amazing that in this era of the homerun, the Whitesox are dominating the league and have not yet scored in double figures for a game????

BridgePortNative
05-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Thing is, we have better pitching that can help us and carry the team, the other teams don't so they're offense can't keep up

Stroker Ace
05-07-2005, 12:47 PM
The Sox don't need to score 10 runs when the pitching is phenominal.

kevingrt
05-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Thing is, we have better pitching that can help us and carry the team, the other teams don't so they're offense can't keep up

Exactly the point... we don't need double digit runs to win games anymore. No more 14-11 wins, even though those games were so fun to watch last year at the Cell with like eight home runs in a game.

MIgrenade
05-07-2005, 02:34 PM
So much for that trivia.

ode to veeck
05-07-2005, 02:36 PM
So much for that trivia.

believe, ask and ye shall receive

illinibk
05-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Exactly the point... we don't need double digit runs to win games anymore. No more 14-11 wins, even though those games were so fun to watch last year at the Cell with like eight home runs in a game.
I am sure I am in the minority, but home runs are nice to watch when there are one, maybe two a game. But when there are eight, they get boring and lose the excitement they once had a couple of years ago. I think triples and stolen bases are the two most exciting offensive plays to watch. To me, speed is more fun to watch than power (er corpse ball). But, the FOBB will disagree with me of course.

MIgrenade
05-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I actually agree as long as the speed knows what it's doing. Pods has been fun to watch today, but Willie is not fun to watch.

SoxFan48
05-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I am sure I am in the minority, but home runs are nice to watch when there are one, maybe two a game. But when there are eight, they get boring and lose the excitement they once had a couple of years ago. I think triples and stolen bases are the two most exciting offensive plays to watch. To me, speed is more fun to watch than power (er corpse ball). But, the FOBB will disagree with me of course.

I am a FOBB and I agree with you that triples and SBs are exciting to watch. Us propellerheads are also interested in the two variables that determine wins and losses--(1) what does it take to score runs and (2) what does it take prevent the other guys from scoring. Home runs (we have five today) can put runs on the board in bundles.

Our success to date is a function of our incredible piching to date (SP and RP) as evidenced by 4 SP in the top 11 in ERA in the AL and Defensive Efficiency--the best in baseball.

MHOUSE
05-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I like that the offense has been supporting the pitching and not the other way around. If our pitchers are on, we can score enough runs to win by 1 or 2 runs. If our guys get rocked a little bit early (Garland today, Buehrle on Monday) then the offense has picked them up and gotten them off the hook or a win if they stay in the game long enough. Our pitching gives up 3 runs, we score 4, they give up 7, we score 10. It's been awesome. 30 games with the lead and counting!

jabrch
05-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Why score more than 10 if you give up fewer than 3?

Our team ERA is SICK - hovering around 3.00 in a hitters park in the AL.