PDA

View Full Version : The Big Unit???

house215
05-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that Randy Johnson turned down all of Kenny William's offers to come play for the Sox because he wanted to be on a team contending for the WS? Know he stuck in the Bronx on one of the worst teams in the AL while both the Sox and D-Backs are serious playoff contendors. I know we were all giddy at the thought of the Big Unit in a Sox jersesy but in the end his stupidity was our gain.

ATXBMX
05-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Such is life. Let the old guys rot in New York.

jabrch
05-07-2005, 11:00 AM
And that we have 4 starters with ERAs better than he does - and none of them are names Buehrle!

chaerulez
05-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah I think the D'Backs success is more surprising than the White Sox, because I expected the White Sox to do good and as did some media outlets. Everyone had Arizona still doing badly even with the additions of Ortiz and Glaus. Randy Johnson looks like an idiot, and I'm loving every minute of it.

StepsInSC
05-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that Randy Johnson turned down all of Kenny William's offers to come play for the Sox because he wanted to be on a team contending for the WS? Know he stuck in the Bronx on one of the worst teams in the AL while both the Sox and D-Backs are serious playoff contendors. I know we were all giddy at the thought of the Big Unit in a Sox jersesy but in the end his stupidity was our gain.

Reminder: It's May 7th.

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah I think the D'Backs success is more surprising than the White Sox, because I expected the White Sox to do good and as did some media outlets. Everyone had Arizona still doing badly even with the additions of Ortiz and Glaus. Musta been all those Cactus League games the D'backs played against the White Sox
:rolleyes:

PorkChopExpress
05-07-2005, 03:11 PM
One word - Karma.

PAPChiSox729
05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Reminder: It's May 7th.

We all know it is. But you have to admit, it is fun seeing the Yankees fall on their face.

:D:

swanson24
05-07-2005, 03:41 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116615.jpg :whiner::whiner: :mad: :whiner: :whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 03:50 PM
We all know it is. But you have to admit, it is fun seeing the Yankees fall on their face.

To quote an old Heat Wave song title,
"Always and Forever".

(Luther Vandross recorded it,too).

DumpJerry
05-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I've been thinking and laughing about the same thing. Mr. Johnson saying he will not come here because he wanted a WS. Ha ha.

If he keeps making predictions like these, ESPN is sure to hire him to be one of their "expert" analysts when he retires.

StepsInSC
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM

Yea it is! I just pray it lasts!

seanpmurphy
05-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah. I wouldn't label anyone as a "playoff contender" this early in the season.

Randy Johnson is the punch line in the joke that is Yankee pitching.

Hey! If Cashman worked for the Sox, Iguchi might be in left field!!! Hahaha.

A. Cavatica
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
The way things are going, RJ will be available at the trading deadline. :D:

Black Sox
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I couldn't be happier watching the Yankees struggle with the league's largest payroll and a bunch of players past their primes.

MUsoxfan
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
The way things are going, RJ will be available at the trading deadline. :D:

Don't even joke about that

santo=dorf
05-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Well I followed the RJ storylines more than anyone else around here, but here is how I remember it;

-ESPN1000 reports that KW stops trying to trade for RJ because his "sources" say RJ doesn't want to come here.

-A few days later RJ's agent Alan Nero tells mlb.com that RJ was never asked if he would be willing to come to the Sox, and a meeting is held later that night with the Arizona Brass and Nero.

-Shortly after that meeting, USA Today reports that their "sources" have told them that RJ would be willing to come to the Sox if a trade proposition was made.

I really wanted RJ here, but with the way Garland has been pitching, I can't complain. :tongue:

RavenswoodFan
05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
I've been thinking and laughing about the same thing. Mr. Johnson saying he will not come here because he wanted a WS. Ha ha.

If he keeps making predictions like these, ESPN is sure to hire him to be one of their "expert" analysts when he retires.

Funny!!!!:D:

Tragg
05-08-2005, 12:19 AM
We simply can't put that kind of money into one player - we took the short end of deals this winter to get ourselves out of that sort of salary situation (and it was a much milder situation than johnson would have caused).

mcfish
05-08-2005, 01:19 AM
We simply can't put that kind of money into one player - we took the short end of deals this winter to get ourselves out of that sort of salary situation (and it was a much milder situation than johnson would have caused).I completely agree. I was horrified of the possibility of RJ coming here and even more scared of the trade options people were proposing to try to get Vazquez here and facilitate the move of Johnson to NY. Johnson would have cost far too much in both talent and money, and the 3 way trade ideas were just stupid. It was team 3 giving up RJ value to get Vazquez while NY gave up just Vazquez and got RJ. I'm glad that LA pulled out of that stupid deal, and I'm even happier the Sox were never in it.

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I think RJ will win his 15-20 games this year as usual. The only problem is that he can't carry a team anymore like last year proved. he's gonna need some help and I don't think they have the help in the pitching staff. Pavano is good if healthy, Mussina is over the hill, Brown sucks, Wright is good when not on the DL.

fox2
05-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I read today that the Yankees are on a pace to win 69 games. That's $3,000,000 per win in payroll.