PDA

View Full Version : Epilog: Last Days of Yankee Dynasty

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 10:40 AM
If you're like me and enjoy reading of the misery of the Yankees, I suggest you take a little time and read this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=2051491

Buster Olney is an east coast oriented writer who really doesn't believe in anything west of the original thirteen colonies, but he's got this subject pretty well in hand.

But be forwarned, it may take a little longer than the normal 3 minute read.

gobears1987
05-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I saw that book at Barnes and NOble yesterday.

buehrle4cy05
05-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I read that book over the summer. It's pretty interesting how he says the losses of Paul O'Neill, Scott Brosius, and Tino Martinez ruined the team.

chaerulez
05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah it's a great book, I got it when it came out. However, don't really be mislead by it's title... it's not about how the Yankees are crumbling until the epilogue. The main focus of the book is the Game 7 of that 2001 World Series and talks about the key Yankee players of the era when they didn't try to buy championships. Guys like O'Neill, Williams, Clemens, Posada, Rivera, Jeter and how the Yankees built the team up and stuff like that. You don't have to be a Yankee lover or hater to enjoy it, just a baseball fan.

patbooyah
05-07-2005, 01:16 PM
On July 24, Boston pitcher Bronson Arroyo hit Rodriguez with a pitch, and when Rodriguez started to bark, Arroyo's catcher, Jason Varitek, stepped in front of him and snapped back, "We don't throw at .260 hitters." awesome.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm very much looking forward to reading this.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I read that book over the summer. It's pretty interesting how he says the losses of Paul O'Neill, Scott Brosius, and Tino Martinez ruined the team.

That's what I said two years ago. They have yet to win without those guys.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
That's what I said two years ago. They have yet to win without those guys.

Yup. There's a lot of money in this team, but no heart.

The Racehorse
05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Buster Olney is an east coast oriented writer who really doesn't believe in anything west of the original thirteen colonies

That's a nice line, but not quite accurate... Buster Olney doesn't believe in anything west of the Hudson river. :wink:

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 10:07 PM
That's a nice line, but not quite accurate... Buster Olney doesn't believe in anything west of the Hudson river. :wink:

Or south of the Jersey Turnpike.

mikehuff
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
This was a great story to read. I hate the Yankees and Red Sox, but this was very well written and very interesting.

I love seeing the evil empire crumble. Last last year the Sox split a 4 game series (the second series of the year) with the Yankees and then lost 2 of 3 at the end of April. Well this year they don't meet the Yankees until August 8,9 and 10. I hope they are buried this year and we can even dig them an even deeper hole.