View Full Version : Fay Vincent quoted

Daver
11-07-2001, 08:22 PM
As saying the owners are wrong again

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20011106/357321.html

Spiff
11-07-2001, 08:25 PM
Minnesota attorney general Mike Hatch:

"If you had 30 owners of banks get together in a room and agree to buy out two of the banks for purposes of increasing their market share ... you'd have an antitrust suit filed by somebody," he said.

Aha! That right there is why this is so stupid and illegal.

Bmr31
11-07-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Minnesota attorney general Mike Hatch:

"If you had 30 owners of banks get together in a room and agree to buy out two of the banks for purposes of increasing their market share ... you'd have an antitrust suit filed by somebody," he said.

Aha! That right there is why this is so stupid and illegal.

Its not illegal and its also probably not going to happen. I see it as a threat and a bargaining tool....

Jerry_Manuel
11-07-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I see it as a threat and a bargaining tool....

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to blow up in the owners faces?

Spiff
11-07-2001, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Its not illegal and its also probably not going to happen. I see it as a threat and a bargaining tool....

How is it not illegal it is the definition of violating antitrust laws.

Daver
11-07-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to blow up in the owners faces?

Cause it happens every time the owners try to strong arm the players union?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
How is it not illegal it is the definition of violating antitrust laws.

Baseball has an exemption from U.S. anti-trust laws. However, they could easily lose it if congressmen got angry enough to do away with it.

Besides all the lawsuits brought by local officials, the players' union claims the issue is a matter for collective bargaining. I strongly believe they are correct. They will go to court to put this question to the test. If they win, the players will be in a strong position to either block the contraction, or make it so expensive the owners simply choose to throw in the towel.

The rest of us will just have to sit back and watch these two sides go at each other--assuming any of us still care.

Daver
11-07-2001, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The rest of us will just have to sit back and watch these two sides go at each other--assuming any of us still care.

PHG I already offered to post the turkey hunting and fishing reports next spring since there will be no ST news,I am trying to do my part.

Jerry_Manuel
11-07-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
Cause it happens every time the owners try to strong arm the players union?

Indeed, can the owners not see that they cannot beat the union?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Indeed, can the owners not see that they cannot beat the union?

I think the owners are incredibly frustrated to see what a sweetheart deal sports promoters in other leagues have, notably the NFL. Everybody else managed to shove a salary cap down their players' throats, but baseball is the only sport faced with a union with a backbone--and brains.

I think the owners egos get in the way of seeing their way clear to making more money in partnership with the union. Insteade they want to turn the clock back 35 years when they could dictate damn near everything. That's just not going to happen.