PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Fans throwing back home run balls

ChiSoxRowand
05-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I had a buy one get one free coupon for upper deck tickets at tonight's Brewers- Mets game, and me and a friend of mine decided to drive up to Miller field. Mike Piazza hit a home run in the third inning, and the ball came flying back on the field. I wanted to puke. They also threw back David Wright's homer in the 7th. Overall it was a pretty good game though, El Caballo was the winning run in the 9th but hit a line shot to Cliff Floyd to end the game.

chuckn98229
05-07-2005, 04:17 AM
There is a generic commercial running in different markets that begins with a XXXXXXXX fan (enter team name here) who is grilling out in his back yard wearing his team's jersey. (If you subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, you see this same basic commercial on different feeds.) He is listening to the game, and the opposition hits a home run, then a baseball falls in his back yard. He picks it up and throws it, and now comes the generic part - the ball goes through streets, markets, etc. with various people picking it up and throwing it until it lands on the field of play. I guess the Sox are the only team denigrating this idiotic practice. This commercial was obviously put together by MLB.

The Racehorse
05-07-2005, 04:56 AM
There is a generic commercial running in different markets that begins with a XXXXXXXX fan (enter team name here) who is grilling out in his back yard wearing his team's jersey. (If you subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, you see this same basic commercial on different feeds.) He is listening to the game, and the opposition hits a home run, then a baseball falls in his back yard. He picks it up and throws it, and now comes the generic part - the ball goes through streets, markets, etc. with various people picking it up and throwing it until it lands on the field of play. I guess the Sox are the only team denigrating this idiotic practice. This commercial was obviously put together by MLB.

... which is MLBs way of condoning those fans who throw crap onto the field of play.

The Critic
05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
It's definitely a mixed message.
"Don't throw anything on the field.....except an opponent's home run ball".
Stupid.

Rocklive99
05-07-2005, 10:17 AM
It's definitely a mixed message.
"Don't throw anything on the field.....except an opponent's home run ball".
Stupid.

"but if you're a Flub fan, you also have the right to throw garbage and beer on the field"

Foulke You
05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
"but if you're a Flub fan, you also have the right to throw garbage and beer on the field"
LOL! A Wrigley Field tradition for years that nobody in the media EVER calls out is the garbage hurling. I remember being at the game after the July 4th debacle last year. When Marte walked in the winning run, an absolute barrage of cups, beer, peanuts, showered the field. But what am I saying? They are the greatest most loyal fans in all of baseball.

Jjav829
05-09-2005, 12:14 AM
:hijacked:

This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, but I found it worth noting and didn't want to start a new thread. BBTN aired a clip yesterday of Carlos Lee's HR on the Brewers radio call. In the call, the announcer on WTMJ called him "El Caballo." I just find it interesting to hear nicknames that Hawk creates stick when the players move on to other teams. It was definitely weird to hear that said by an announcer not affiliated with the Sox.

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
BBTN aired a clip yesterday of Carlos Lee's HR on the Brewers radio call. In the call, the announcer on WTMJ called him "El Caballo." I just find it interesting to hear nicknames that Hawk creates stick when the players move on to other teams. It was definitely weird to hear that said by an announcer not affiliated with the Sox.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments/mil/01.jpg

"El Caballo hits it deep....the outfielder will need a passport to catch this one! Monty, anything to add? .............. He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!"

The Racehorse
05-09-2005, 06:34 AM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments/mil/01.jpg

"El Caballo hits it deep....the outfielder will need a passport to catch this one! Monty, anything to add? .............. He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!"
**while taking the cap off his mega bottle of Jack Daniels, wiping the top of it with his index finger & thumb, then dabbing his right earlobe**

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2005, 11:05 AM
:hijacked:

This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, but I found it worth noting and didn't want to start a new thread. BBTN aired a clip yesterday of Carlos Lee's HR on the Brewers radio call. In the call, the announcer on WTMJ called him "El Caballo." I just find it interesting to hear nicknames that Hawk creates stick when the players move on to other teams. It was definitely weird to hear that said by an announcer not affiliated with the Sox.

I was thinking the same thing when I listened to one of the SportsCenter anchors call him El Caballo. It is kind of funny how Hawk's nicknames really do stick. Whenever I hear El Caballo, I think of him playing on the Sox. That and He Gone is all over the place nowadays.

Uncle_Patrick
05-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I had a buy one get one free coupon for upper deck tickets at tonight's Brewers- Mets game, and me and a friend of mine decided to drive up to Miller field. Mike Piazza hit a home run in the third inning, and the ball came flying back on the field. I wanted to puke. They also threw back David Wright's homer in the 7th. Overall it was a pretty good game though, El Caballo was the winning run in the 9th but hit a line shot to Cliff Floyd to end the game.

I'm surprised that Brewers fans throw the ball back, since its a Cubs tradition and most Brewers fans hate Cubs fans almost as much as White Sox fans do. I was lurking on a Brewers fansite a few days ago, as I do root for the Brewers, and saw a lot of anti-Cubs posts there. But then again, I saw a few vehement anti-White Sox posts, too (the typical stuff: Their gonna fall flat on their face, their fans are thugs, they are worse than Cubs fans, etc.). I was a bit dissappointed by their anti-White Sox posts considering that most of the Brewers-related posts I've seen here have been supportive of their team.

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm surprised that Brewers fans throw the ball back, since its a Cubs tradition and most Brewers fans hate Cubs fans almost as much as White Sox fans do. I was lurking on a Brewers fansite a few days ago, as I do root for the Brewers, and saw a lot of anti-Cubs posts there. But then again, I saw a few vehement anti-White Sox posts, too (the typical stuff: Their gonna fall flat on their face, their fans are thugs, they are worse than Cubs fans, etc.). I was a bit dissappointed by their anti-White Sox posts considering that most of the Brewers-related posts I've seen here have been supportive of their team.

There's a huge anti-Chicago segment of the population up there. Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Bears. Many people want to distance themselves from Chicago because it's becoming known as "Chicago's northernmost suburb"

Uncle_Patrick
05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
There's a huge anti-Chicago segment of the population up there. Cubs, Sox, Bulls and Bears. Many people want to distance themselves from Chicago because it's becoming known as "Chicago's northernmost suburb"

True, I considered that, until I saw the profiles for some of the Sox bashers and they were from Chicago. I figure that they were probably ex-Cubs fans.

ChiSoxRowand
05-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Both of the balls went into the left field bleachers where there was a lot of big groups. Lots of kids, and a lot of people had the same color shirt on. So they probably weren't real Brewers fans.