PDA

View Full Version : John Rocker claims he's gone through more than Hank Aaron & Jackie Robinson

doublem23
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
"I've taken a lot of crap from a lot of people," said Rocker, who racked up 88 saves, more than 330 strikeouts and a 3.42 ERA in six seasons with the Braves, Indians, Rangers and Devil Rays. "Probably more than anybody in the history of this sport. I know Hank [Aaron] and Jackie [Robinson] took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?"

What a ****ing moron. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2054529&num=1

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 03:17 AM
His career is punishment enough.:?:

Chicago83
05-07-2005, 03:20 AM
He probably has gone through similar treatment as players like Jackie, although the main difference being Rocker brough this upon himself by being a moron, not just because of his skin color.

The Racehorse
05-07-2005, 06:01 AM
**Dick Vitale tone** "Hey Johnny boy, you're not a diaper dandy anymore. Look in the mirror baby, look in the mirror."

samram
05-07-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't know who's gone through more in his career and life- John Rocker or Derek Jeter? They're both heroes to me.

hose
05-07-2005, 08:30 AM
If John Rocker never opened his pie hole I doubt we would be talking about him. His problems were all self induced and can't compare to what Hank and Jackie went through.

chaerulez
05-07-2005, 09:49 AM
He's right about the six years thing- Robinson and Aaron had to deal with their entire career.

Moron.

elrod
05-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah, it's real hard to be a bona fide bigot anymore. I mean, what's wrong with our PC society that a good old fashioned man like Ty Cobb can't let it all out. John Rocker is just suffering from post-Appomattox Unionist bias.

Frankfan4life
05-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Aww... Come on! I think it's time people got off this guy's back. Rocker said some stupid things over five years ago when he was a young man. He said he was sorry. What else do you want from him? It's time to forgive and forget.

NSSoxFan
05-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Aww... Come on! I think it's time people got off this guy's back. Rocker said some stupid things over five years ago when he was a young man. He said he was sorry. What else do you want from him? It's time to forgive and forget.

I'm sorry...no.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 02:32 PM

Be quiet.

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 02:36 PM

He said he was sorry, and then goes and says he is being treated worse than hammer and jackie.

*****. We wouldn't be bashing the guy if he had kept his toothless yap shut.

StillMissOzzie
05-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Five years ago? His latest stupid-ass remark was closer to five HOURS ago!

1) This guy just needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut.
2) *** is ESPN doing putting a microphone in the face of an independent league ballplayer anyhow? Just looking for the easy sound bite?

SMO
:gulp:

StockdaleForVeep
05-07-2005, 06:46 PM
I ask you all who think Rocker still deserves this, i ask this, do you feel Thomas should still deserve the hatred from the media for his actions and whatnot? Most here are big frank lovers but his media side is not too good. All frank did was make comments at the media and skipped the all star game and he's hated and brandished as a clubhouse cancer.

YourWHAThurts?
05-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I ask you all who think Rocker still deserves this, i ask this, do you feel Thomas should still deserve the hatred from the media for his actions and whatnot? Most here are big frank lovers but his media side is not too good. All frank did was make comments at the media and skipped the all star game and he's hated and brandished as a clubhouse cancer.

Point taken, but what Big Frank has said in the media is small potatoes compared to what Rocker has said in the media.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Point taken, but what Big Frank has said in the media is small potatoes compared to what Rocker has said in the media.

Agreed. Comparing Frank Thomas to John Rocker is ridiculous. I think a few people may have gotten into the "Cubbie crack" stash.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Oh man this is priceless...:D:

"Aaron and Jackie put up with a lot o crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years..."

Yeah, idiot, try 20 or so. And that's just their baseball careers.

He said some stupid things several years ago and really no one deserves to be chastised their whole lives over a few words, but he just won't shut up. This guy's just clueless.

fquaye149
05-08-2005, 03:50 AM

OH GOD

Frank said innocuous things. No one has ever accused Frank of anything but selfishness and that is based on circumstantial evidence.

Rocker eplicitly rips on blacks, gays and foreigners in an article you can still read now if you don't remember. Doesn't apologize for it until he has to go play in New York where are the blacks, gays, and foreigners he hates live. THEN he essentially pulls a Sammy (they treated Jesus this way too) and further shows how racist he is by downplaying the extreme PHYSICAL as well as psychological obstacles Aaron and Robinson had to face to overcome the attitudes that Rocker clearly still holds

AND YOU ARE DEFENDING THIS REDNECK WHY?

Dan H
05-08-2005, 09:05 AM
If John Rocker never opened his pie hole I doubt we would be talking about him. His problems were all self induced and can't compare to what Hank and Jackie went through.

I agree with this completely. Rocker is just too dumb to realize he had did this to himself. He never even claimed he was misquoted. He just threatened the writer who wrote what he said. How can he even compare himself to Robinson and Aaron? Can't this man just go away?

Fredsox
05-08-2005, 10:56 AM
"AP- New York - Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced John Rocker Day to be celebrated in all baseball stadiums today. Rocker's number will be retired from all major league teams out of respect for his contributions to the institution of baseball. He will also have a statue erected in his honor placed at the door of the Baseball Hall of Fame, replacing the statues of Ted Williams and Babe Ruth."

"Selig was quoted as saying "John Rocker continues to demonstrate that the mentally deranged egomaniacs have feelings too, and the measurement of their performance on the field, however mediocre, should have nothing to do with their reduced capacity for cognitive and rational thought. If this isn't an argument to fully fund mental health research, I don't know what is.""

FedEx227
05-08-2005, 12:01 PM
thats great he really deserves it for all the racial injustice he had to take for those 6 years...

god bless Mr. Rocker.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
John Rocker makes me sad for humanity.

Flames24Rulz
05-08-2005, 08:16 PM
John Rocker is a joke...why cant this moron just retire from the game of baseball already?

PatK
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
LOL@ some of the responses to this.

Funny thing seeing people slamming him as "Redneck piece of trash" because of his comments.

Pot....meet kettle.

I wonder how many people have actually read the original article that started all the controversy. Of all of his critics, I've met few that have.

Fenway
05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Rocker certainly made a wonderful debut with the Long Island ducks of the Atlantic League

http://www.atlanticleague.com/2005scores/acy5032.html

J. Rocker (L, 0-2)0.1 2 2 2 2 0 0 13.50

http://www.atlanticleague.com/stat-lgi.html

Videohttp://www.newsday.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.newsday.com/media/thumbnails/realvideo/2005-05/17431121.jpg (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/minorleague/ny-video-ducks0504,0,2340085.realvideo?coll=ny-minorleague-utility)
Video: Rocker's a Duck (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/minorleague/ny-video-ducks0504,0,2340085.realvideo?coll=ny-minorleague-utility) (Newsday/Robert Cassidy, Mark La Monica)
May 4, 2005 (RealVideo)

wilburaga
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Funny thing seeing people slamming him as "Redneck piece of trash" because of his comments.

Pot....meet kettle.

I wonder how many people have actually read the original article that started all the controversy. Of all of his critics, I've met few that have.

As a New Yorker (sort of), I was always amazed and a little impressed that Rocker was on the subway system in the first place. He always struck me as more dumb than mean, so I never got too worked up over his antics.

W

SSN721
05-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Pot....meet kettle.

I just refreshed my memory reading the article from SI in '99 since I heard about this new stuff from him earlier today. It is true the man is entitled to his own opinions but I think most people would strongly disagree with his views and think he is pretty much a bigot. It is sad that Mets fans had to take it out on his gf (dumping beer on her) and the throwing of items at him (like batteries) is never excusable and I could see how that would harbor continuing rage in his mind. Personally I still think the guy is an idiot to say what he said publicly, he brought it all on himself. He might have a right to think it, even though I strongly disagree with his views, but that doesnt mean other people have a right to be pissed at him when he spouts his mouth to SI and gets published.

PatK
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I just refreshed my memory reading the article from SI in '99 since I heard about this new stuff from him earlier today. It is true the man is entitled to his own opinions but I think most people would strongly disagree with his views and think he is pretty much a bigot. It is sad that Mets fans had to take it out on his gf (dumping beer on her) and the throwing of items at him (like batteries) is never excusable and I could see how that would harbor continuing rage in his mind. Personally I still think the guy is an idiot to say what he said publicly, he brought it all on himself. He might have a right to think it, even though I strongly disagree with his views, but that doesnt mean other people have a right to be pissed at him when he spouts his mouth to SI and gets published.

I'm not trying to defend the guy (because I think he's an idiot) but if anyone has read the article, where does he "explicitly" rip on blacks?

And is what he said any worse than Julian Tavares calling SF fans "a bunch of ****ing ***gots", or Dusty Baker's theory of the white man and day baseball, or the late Rev. Reggie White's fabulous diatribe about the differences among races to the Wisconsin General Assembly?

Of course, only the "Redneck" got punished.

irish rover
05-09-2005, 03:57 PM
maybe get him to throw out first pitch on Mullet Night

samram
05-09-2005, 03:59 PM
As a New Yorker (sort of), I was always amazed and a little impressed that Rocker was on the subway system in the first place. He always struck me as more dumb than mean, so I never got too worked up over his antics.

W

That's probably the best way to look at it. Rocker isn't a spokesman for a group of people, so it's not as if his "thoughts" carry any weight. He's a dumb guy who said, and is still saying, dumb stuff. I can't imagine why anyone would actually let this guy affect their life, or how they feel about themselves, in any way.

Baby Fisk
05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
That's probably the best way to look at it. Rocker isn't a spokesman for a group of people, so it's not as if his "thoughts" carry any weight. He's a dumb guy who said, and is still saying, dumb stuff. I can't imagine why anyone would actually let this guy affect their life, or how they feel about themselves, in any way.

He pisses people off because he shows no remorse for anything he says, and shows no appreciation for the effects of what he says.

If he has made apologetic quotes, I apologize as I've missed them.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2005, 12:46 AM
He pisses people off because he shows no remorse for anything he says, and shows no appreciation for the effects of what he says.

If he has made apologetic quotes, I apologize as I've missed them.

He's just a beacon of immaturity and cluelessness more than anything else. He thinks he's right. Maybe a touch of sociopathy as well.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-10-2005, 11:44 AM
I've got a buddy who is a player/coach in the independent league and they have played Rocker's team a couple times so far this year. He told me that he actually feels sorry for Rocker. His performance was originally based on steriods alone, and he is now trying to pitch without them. He said the guy is a sad sight and the fans really don't leave him alone. They are constantly getting into it with him, and it is a really bad situation. My friend told me that even if the guy was sincerely trying to come back and turn things around, he couldn't possibly with the way he is treated.

I am not saying that most of it isn't his own fault, but it is sad.

fquaye149
05-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm not trying to defend the guy (because I think he's an idiot) but if anyone has read the article, where does he "explicitly" rip on blacks?

And is what he said any worse than Julian Tavares calling SF fans "a bunch of ****ing ***gots", or Dusty Baker's theory of the white man and day baseball, or the late Rev. Reggie White's fabulous diatribe about the differences among races to the Wisconsin General Assembly?

Of course, only the "Redneck" got punished.

unreal. yea that damn reverse racism strikes again.

Rocker saved 38 games for the Braves last year. But he created a personal rivalry with the city of New York during the NL Championship Series, calling Mets fans "stupid" and accusing them of throwing batteries and insulting his mother.

He went even further in a Sports Illustrated article last month, saying he would never play for a New York team because he didn't want to ride a train "next to some queer with AIDS." He bashed immigrants, saying "How the hell did they get in this country?" He also called a black teammate a "fat monkey," spit on a toll machine and mocked Asian women.

from http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2000/0111/283694.html.

This wasn't a reporter ambushing him after a game. It wasn't innocuous ignorance masquerading as half-baked pseudo science.

This was Rocker getting up on his pulpit - yes, you heard me, getting up on his pulpit and saying incredibly offensive things. It wasn't a one time outburst.

Then, his apology was "if anyone was offended". Not, "I didn't mean to say it."

He's a moron. Quit defending him, or else take a long hard look at exactly why you feel this need to defend

a.) an idiot
b.) a bigot
c.) a publicity hog

BRDSR
05-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, idiot, try 20 or so. And that's just their baseball careers.

No kidding. Robinson grew up in Georgia. I don't know if we're calling that the deep south or not, but thats definitely the racist south. As recently as the 60s Ray Charles refused to play a segregated show there. I'm sure that was no walk int he park as a kid.

I dunno. On the one hand I want to just ignore the guy but this goes a little far. Theres a reason nobody will ever wear the number 42 again, and its not because Robinson was a great baseball player(though he was). It's because he put up with so much to be that great baseball player. Reading comments like that one make me ill.

thepaulbowski
05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Theres a reason nobody will ever wear the number 42 again, and its not because Robinson was a great baseball player(though he was). It's because he put up with so much to be that great baseball player.

As an FYI, Mariano Rivera stills wears the number 42.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=121250

Fenway
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
NY Daily News finally has picked up on the story

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/heads/rope0511.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/308400p-263879c.html)

nasox
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
More about how reverse racism is a vaild phenomenon that justifies original racism and this thread will make me :chunks

PatK
05-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm not defending Rocker, like I said, he's an idiot.

Not trying to say that reverse racism makes racism okay.

Rocker's comments were bad, and he hasn't shown any remorse for any reason other than it hurt is career.

I still think a lot of people rushed to hang him before ever reading exactly what was said. And regardless of him being white, I think that others that have said racially offensive comments should be punished the same way.