PDA

View Full Version : Satisfied with Donn Pall

kevingrt
05-06-2005, 09:55 PM
After two games with Donn Pall I really like him in the booth. His style and substance is great and he fits along nicely with DJ, as hard as it may seem. Brings good amount of intelligence to the game and very good insight since he once played.

By the way that DJ home run call is killer, I'm still up in the air about it. If only he could finish with something consistent.

elrod
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
He's growing on me. The only thing I don't like is when his voice goes into "asleep" mode. Sometimes he sounds like one of those geeks that call diving competitions at the Olympics. But then he rags on the wave, and I like it.

Daver
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
The Pope is brutal.

oeo
05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
After two games with Donn Pall I really like him in the booth. His style and substance is great and he fits along nicely with DJ, as hard as it may seem. Brings good amount of intelligence to the game and very good insight since he once played.

By the way that DJ home run call is killer, I'm still up in the air about it. If only he could finish with something consistent.

The only problem I have with him is he's too quiet. Sometimes it sounds like only DJ is in the booth as Pall won't talk for awhile. When he does talk, though, I really like his insight, I think he's doing a very good job.

Yeah, "UH OH! UH OH!"...blah, it's ugly.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Considering before Wednesday he never did this anywhere at anytime, Donn isn't bad. Given enough of an opportunity he'll get better still.

Lip

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
The Pope is brutal.

He just doesn't have a boradcasters voice!

delben91
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
With the way the Sox are playing on the field right now, I don't care who they have in the booth.

That said, I won't mind in the slightest when Hawk comes back.

bayzbol44
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
The Pope needs a lot of work. However, I like the interaction that DJ and him are TRYING to create. DJ is good as the play by play person. At least he talks throughout the whole game. These 2 actually sound like a baseball announcing crew. An actual Play by play person and a person who provides color comments.

Did you hear DJ and him crack up today when the Pope said something like, "The Sox are getting to BUSH early..." They started laughing and DJ couldnt talk so he told him, while laughing, that he was killing him.

MUsoxfan
05-06-2005, 10:02 PM
DJ just seems like of lost in the play-by-play mode. The Pope is giving what he has to offer and I don't think it's so bad

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 10:03 PM

No he doesn't. I like the guy, he does have good insight, but him and DJ together are boring. I really miss Hawk.

kevingrt
05-06-2005, 10:04 PM
DJ just seems like of lost in the play-by-play mode. The Pope is giving what he has to offer and I don't think it's so bad

DJ is just crazy, can that be given on WSI Message Forum?

Rocklive99
05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I think Pall has more potential as an analyst than DJ, but DJ is just bringing the whole thing down, mix that with a Toronto crowd, and it's time to switch the dial

batmanZoSo
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
DJ's awkward play by play coupled with Donn Pall's "low-effort" speaking voice and that glorified shopping mall with a rug in the middle...just mercy. I was seriously bored for maybe the first time ever during a Sox game.

The Pope has no future in broadcasting whatsoever. That said, you can't blame him, he's just pinch hitting for a few days. At least he stays back and gives what little he can.

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 10:27 PM
that glorified shopping mall with a rug in the middle...just mercy.

Dude, that is harsh. At least the roof was open!

batmanZoSo
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM

What was all that raking about? Were they letting the field get wet or something? Talk about incompetence! :wink:

samram
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM

Does that explain why Sox players in the home plate area looked like they were on a slip n' slide?

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
What was all that raking about? Were they letting the field get wet or something? Talk about incompetence! :wink:

I think there was oil seeping up through the dirt from Thursday night's Monster Truck Rally.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I think there was oil seeping up through the dirt from Thursday night's Monster Truck Rally.

Wow. You go? :cool:

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Wow. You go? :cool:

It's the only night of the year I wear my 83 Sox cap with the mesh back.

DickAllen72
05-06-2005, 10:38 PM
DJ is doing pretty well with the play by play. I wish they would have had Melton doing the color with DJ.

wdelaney72
05-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I can't believe they couldn't find a more suitable replacement. While I still watch becuase of the games themselves, the broadcasts have been more of a snooze than a thought possible. I can't wait for Hawk to come back.

Brian26
05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
The Pope is brutal.

Agreed. I'm wondering what broadcast everyone else was watching. Donn's a good guy, but he's got a lot of work to do before he's even considered mediocre.

Brian26
05-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I can't wait for Hawk to come back.

And some people actually say Hawk drags DJ down. It's appearing more and more like maybe Hawk is the one propping DJ up.

Still, I seem to remember DJ doing some decent work on some national broadcasts in '03 on Fox. What the heck happened to him?

By the way, I do have to give him props for the "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!" line w/ Donn Pall and him touching their World Series rings.

doublem23
05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
And some people actually say Hawk drags DJ down. It's appearing more and more like maybe Hawk is the one propping DJ up.

Still, I seem to remember DJ doing some decent work on some national broadcasts in '03 on Fox. What the heck happened to him?

By the way, I do have to give him props for the "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!" line w/ Donn Pall and him touching their World Series rings.

Maybe the Pope is dragging him down? Love the fact that they put another big Sox fan in the booth, but ouch... Donn Palll... Not so good.

OKCidiot
05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Like we used to say back when "the regulars" sat right above the Sox bullpen... "DONN PALL DOES IT ALL!!!":supernana:

oeo
05-06-2005, 11:01 PM

I think it's those totally crap FOX announcers, such as Joe Buck, that make him look good.

Rocklive99
05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, we'll see again in Tampa when Robin fills in. I love Robin, and like the ST broadcasts, but realistically, he didn't go that much in depth and Hawk carried it. With DJ, it might be completely brutal

Dibbs
05-06-2005, 11:25 PM
I think he is funny as heck....saying he hates the wave (save it for rugby or soccer) and he also was talking about how Canadians are way too laid back (this after the wacky security guys bring that dude onto the FIELD!?!?)

Overall, he is doing a good job and makes me laugh.

Banix12
05-07-2005, 01:31 AM
He's been decent for a guy who has never done it before, his insight has been very sound and I like getting a pitcher's perspective to the game. Something the fans who watch the TV broadcasts haven't had in awhile.

Sox of White
05-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I miss Hawk too. But no matter who is in the booth, baseball is baseball, and I love it all the same. And I'll watch White Sox baseball no matter who is in the booth.

daveeym
05-07-2005, 02:12 AM
He just doesn't have a boradcasters voice! Exactly. That's what i was going to respond to lip with but you beat me to it by 5 hours. He'll never be more than dj, i mean adequate, because that's the biggest problem DJ has as well. On a related but side note, Pippen surprisingly has a great broadcasting voice, took some speech lessons, and even though it was clear that he knew how to play the game, knows the game better than I could ever have expected. I've been extremely impressed with him during the 1st round bulls games.

joe_tansey2004
05-07-2005, 07:12 AM
He sounds terrible. He sounds like Jimmy from South Park.

Wsoxmike59
05-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Donn Pall is a really great guy, and it's very unrealistic to expect him to be a really great color analyst from day 1.

Anybody remember when Steve Stone first went into the broadcast booth? He did Monday Night Baseball for ABC before coming to the Cubs. HE WAS BRUTAL.

The same could be said for Ed Farmer or DJ, it was painful to listen to some of those 1st year broadcasts that they did.

But over time they develop a style and find a comfort zone behind the mic. Like this guy! :D:

http://gorillamask.net/sportsnews.shtml

SpammySosa
05-07-2005, 07:36 AM
The same could be said for Ed Farmer or DJ, it was painful to listen to some of those 1st year broadcasts that they did.

:?: And it is still painful to listen to those 2 and their respective broadcasts.

Ol' No. 2
05-07-2005, 09:03 AM
FWIW, I thought Pall got better with each game. Still not polished, but considering he's never done this before, not too bad. But that voice just won't cut it. I finally switched over to the radio broadcast and it was about 15 seconds behind, so I had to switch back.

bigfoot
05-07-2005, 09:14 AM
he also was talking about how Canadians are way too laid back (this after the wacky security guys bring that dude onto the FIELD!?!?)

Would this be the guy that caught the Jays HR?

The Jays have a policy of having the player sign the HR ball. How cool would that be at the Cell? Or, for that matter, anywhere and any team? Would HR balls be thrown onto the field, if they would become signed HR balls?

soxfan123
05-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't mind Don at all, but it's DJ doing the play by play that is killing me. Like that time when they were "locking up" their world series rings was really cheesy. Also when Dye hit his home run, it was really awkward and just bad sounding. It was like, "OOh, Dye hits it hard..There it goes!..(ball is seen over fence)...Yes! Home run for Dye" It just doesn't flow. Anywho, considering the Sox are doing well, it's not that big of a deal.

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
No he doesn't. I like the guy, he does have good insight, but him and DJ together are boring. I really miss Hawk.

My TV's on MUTE.Listen to Rooney and "Ramblin' " Eddie Farmer.

kevingrt
05-07-2005, 12:09 PM
My TV's on MUTE.Listen to Rooney and "Ramblin' " Eddie Farmer.

I still do that, but I thought Pall wasn't that bad

tebman
05-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Bring back Early Wynn! :redneck

WikdChiSoxFan
05-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Don Pall...when's he gonna get over this cold?

illinibk
05-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes it is. Maybe he should say something like: "He hits it deep, and BOOM goes the dynamite!"

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Yes it is. Maybe he should say something like: "He hits it deep, and BOOM goes the dynamite!"

he hits it deep and it's time to say goodbye to the baseball. goodbye baseball. see you later alligator.

that would be my call

petekat
05-07-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah i really like the interaction btwn the two, will be interesting to see what Robin brings next week. DJ is much more effective as a play-by-play guy, rather than trying to sneak a word in edgewise around Hawk. Not surprising, as DJ's work on Fox has been good as well

The Pope needs a lot of work. However, I like the interaction that DJ and him are TRYING to create. DJ is good as the play by play person. At least he talks throughout the whole game. These 2 actually sound like a baseball announcing crew. An actual Play by play person and a person who provides color comments.

Did you hear DJ and him crack up today when the Pope said something like, "The Sox are getting to BUSH early..." They started laughing and DJ couldnt talk so he told him, while laughing, that he was killing him.

bayzbol44
05-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Petekat...Great to see another knowledgeable baseball fan in this forum. :bandance: When DJ is on Fox, he does show a lot of potential.

gosox41
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM

I like Donn Pall. Don't know much about broadcasting, but at least he doesn't have annoying cliches like Hawk.

Bob

Brian26
05-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Today they showed a clip of the Pope throwing some BP before today's game.

buehrle4cy05
05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
In a pinch, Pall has been solid. I like having a pitcher in the booth instead of two position players, there is more insight into pitching. That being said, DJ is not a play-by-play man. They probably should have got somebody to do PBP instead of analysis.

I want Mags back
05-07-2005, 08:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/53/222px-C-homer.png

"BORING!!"

fox23
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Paul knows what he's talking about and has a few good insights, but his voice just puts me to sleep.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2005, 07:19 PM
That can be helped with voice training if Donn decides to want to pursue this.

Lip

MeanFish
05-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Honestly, I don't mind Donn Pall in the booth. To me, it's DJ that brings the two down. His home run calls are absolutely brutal. The Pope, on the other hand, often adds a little bit of humor and insight to many situations throughout the game. When he talks more, he brings out a better part of DJ too.

They run into trouble when DJ has to talk too much. Or when a Sox homerun is hit.

Donn Pall speaks clearly, and has a voice consistent with that of a college sports radio broadcaster. He'd be an interesting contrast to Hawk, that's for sure.

Brian26
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
The announcing didn't seem quite that bad this weekend after the three game sweep :D:

Sad
05-09-2005, 08:21 AM
personally, I thought Donn Pall was really, really dry and bad.

Glad to hear somebody (anybody) else (Ventura) is filling in starting tonight...