PDA

View Full Version : There is a man in Louisville who cannot be happy right now

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Top 10th, A's leading Yankees 6-3. George must be in a Louisville hotel room or Churchill Downs pre-race party and not feeling very good right now.

FarWestChicago
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Top 10th, A's leading Yankees 6-3. George must be in a Louisville hotel room or Churchill Downs pre-race party and not feeling very good right now.My gawd, they can't even beat :smokin:. That's pathetic. :D:

Stroker Ace
05-06-2005, 10:32 PM
There's nothing I like more than "The Network" hyping up the Yanks before the season, only to see them play like the D-Rays, but only about $165 Million more.

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
It is a 6-3 final, and George must be feeling great discomfort. If the Boss' horse wins the Kentucky Derby, I wonder if Bob Costas' first question to Steinbrenner in the Winner's Circle is this:

"George, is Joe Torre's job in jeopardy?"

HomeFish
05-06-2005, 11:03 PM
It is a 6-3 final, and George must be feeling great discomfort. If the Boss' horse wins the Kentucky Derby, I wonder if Bob Costas' first question to Steinbrenner in the Winner's Circle is this:

"George, is Joe Torre's job in jeopardy?"

You know, if a horse could be a Roman Senator, I'm sure that there are certain other jobs it could take.

nccwsfan
05-06-2005, 11:03 PM
And if his horse loses????

:bundy

Head for the hills, Cashman

MRKARNO
05-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Theeeeeeeeeeeeee YANKees lose.

Wow this is getting incredible! 7 games under .500 for a team that's getting paid 200 mil.

Just goes to show you that you can spend all the money you want on a team, but if you're spending it very poorly, it dont mean a thing.

20 million for Jeter?
12 million for Bernie Williams?
13.5 mil for Giambi?
15.5 mil for K Brown?
7.5 Mil for Jaret Wright?

68.5 million of absolute crap right there and you can find many instances of excess throughout the roster.

It's a poorly constructed team and the long-term contracts that they gave guys are going to bit them in the behind as they are inflated and untradable. It might even take a few years for them to get over those contracts.

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Barring a world series championship, I don't think baseball will ever be more enjoyable than it has been in April-May 2005. Die, Yankees, Die! :bandance:

Viva Medias B's
05-07-2005, 12:20 AM

If George's horse loses, HE'S EUTHANIZED!!!!

:hawk
"HE GONE!"

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Yankees suck, no playoffs...the stars are aligned for us. I would like our chances against anyone in the league. St. Louis is good and Florida with their pitching scares me, but the AL is up for the taking at the moment.

Not to look too far ahead or anything. :whistle:

TDog
05-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Around here in March, there were people who insisted that the AL East and AL wild card would come out of the Yankees/Red Sox tandem simply because the teams spend so much money on players. People wrote that I didn't know what I was talking about when I insisted there is no way of telling what team will be in the wild card race until August.

I still don't know what teams will win their divisions and what teams will be the thickest in the wild card race. But I do know that I was right about the Yankees pitching not being as strong as so many people believed it HAD TO BE.

I'm not trying to induce another salary thread. I'm just saying big-time salaries don't make big-time players.

Banix12
05-07-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm not trying to induce another salary thread. I'm just saying big-time salaries don't make big-time players.

At one point just about everybody who is now on the Yankees was a big-time player and earned the salary that they got paid, with the exceptions of cheater Giambi and one-year-wonder Wright. Age can be a horrible equalizer and guys like Bernie Williams are just not the players they used to be.

I had a suspicion that the guys on the yanks were gonna age and lose a step this season, I just didn't think it would all happen at once.

doublem23
05-07-2005, 02:32 AM
That one guy may be mad, but there's about 220 million people who are pretty happy right now.

daveeym
05-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Theeeeeeeeeeeeee YANKees lose.

Wow this is getting incredible! 7 games under .500 for a team that's getting paid 200 mil.

Just goes to show you that you can spend all the money you want on a team, but if you're spending it very poorly, it dont mean a thing.

20 million for Jeter?
12 million for Bernie Williams?
13.5 mil for Giambi?
15.5 mil for K Brown?
7.5 Mil for Jaret Wright?

68.5 million of absolute crap right there and you can find many instances of excess throughout the roster.

It's a poorly constructed team and the long-term contracts that they gave guys are going to bit them in the behind as they are inflated and untradable. It might even take a few years for them to get over those contracts. Oh come on now, Brown is the only bad contract there if you're not going by hindsight. Roids killed Giambi, jeter and williams are probably just slumping and probably Wright too. Brown and wright may be bad, but i'm tending to say Brown is the only bad move that a majority of other teams wouldn't have made.

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 03:12 AM
At one point just about everybody who is now on the Yankees was a big-time player and earned the salary that they got paid, with the exceptions of cheater Giambi and one-year-wonder Wright. Age can be a horrible equalizer and guys like Bernie Williams are just not the players they used to be.

I had a suspicion that the guys on the yanks were gonna age and lose a step this season, I just didn't think it would all happen at once.

Jeter was never once worth 20 million dollars. I don't care about the leadership and post-season heroics.

He did not deserve to be the 2nd highest paid ss in the game. Period.

But the Yankees thought he was, so maybe I was wrong. Or maybe the team tied for last w/ the Devil Rays was wrong. I don't know.

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Oh come on now, Brown is the only bad contract there if you're not going by hindsight. Roids killed Giambi, jeter and williams are probably just slumping and probably Wright too. Brown and wright may be bad, but i'm tending to say Brown is the only bad move that a majority of other teams wouldn't have made.

12 Million for Williams is not a bad contract? So even at his peak he is a comparable outfielder to Vlad?

Can you tell me any team in baseball who would trade for the Williams of 5 years ago even without demanding cash?

Banix12
05-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Jeter was never once worth 20 million dollars. I don't care about the leadership and post-season heroics.

He did not deserve to be the 2nd highest paid ss in the game. Period.

But the Yankees thought he was, so maybe I was wrong. Or maybe the team tied for last w/ the Devil Rays was wrong. I don't know.

Most teams would not have paid him the money, but at the time he was tendered that contract he was considered to be one of the best SS in the game. He was at least one of the top three in the A-Rod, Nomar, and Jeter discussion at the time. I think history has shown that at the time, he was the second best shortstop in the game so you can argue that he deserved to be the second highest paid.

He was also offered that at a time when the finances in baseball were completely out of whack, more than now. The basic feeling was if A-Rod could command that salary he was asking for, Jeter should get something near it. And on the open market at that time in baseball he could have gotten in from a team like the Mets or the Cubs or Texas or some mystery team.

Salarys are based on what the market at the time commands. At the time of Jeter's contract he commanded more than he was actually worth, but that is beside the point. He is still a big-time player regardless of how much he is overpaid, he would be a big-time player even if he was getting paid what he is actually worth.

Every player on the Yankees at one time or another was a big-time player, so they were the defacto favorites coming into this season. They seem to have aged badly and what they have now is the result, a overpaid team of Designated Hitters where the players have contracts no other team can afford. So they are stuck with them and I hope they rot in the cellar.

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Most teams would not have paid him the money, but at the time he was tendered that contract he was considered to be one of the best SS in the game. He was at least one of the top three in the A-Rod, Nomar, and Jeter discussion at the time. I think history has shown that at the time, he was the second best shortstop in the game so you can argue that he deserved to be the second highest paid.

He was also offered that at a time when the finances in baseball were completely out of whack, more than now. The basic feeling was if A-Rod could command that salary he was asking for, Jeter should get something near it. And on the open market at that time in baseball he could have gotten in from a team like the Mets or the Cubs or Texas or some mystery team.

Salarys are based on what the market at the time commands. At the time of Jeter's contract he commanded more than he was actually worth, but that is beside the point. He is still a big-time player regardless of how much he is overpaid, he would be a big-time player even if he was getting paid what he is actually worth.

Every player on the Yankees at one time or another was a big-time player, so they were the defacto favorites coming into this season. They seem to have aged badly and what they have now is the result, a overpaid team of Designated Hitters where the players have contracts no other team can afford. So they are stuck with them and I hope they rot in the cellar.

You're absolutely right that that was the (fallacious) thinking at the time. The current situation just goes to show that Jeter isn't a fraction of the SS A-Rod was (is) and therefore does not deserve a comparable sum. But the Yankees were willing to pay. Congratulations, George; you're in last place with a 200 million dollar payroll.

The Racehorse
05-07-2005, 06:16 AM
[rhetorical question] Wouldn't it be hilarious if his horse finished last!?

bigfoot
05-07-2005, 09:21 AM
[rhetorical question] Wouldn't it be hilarious if his horse finished last!?

LOL

Or, like the Yanks, don't even get out of the gate?!:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
05-07-2005, 10:09 AM
[rhetorical question] Wouldn't it be hilarious if his horse finished last!?He's got that figured out. I have it on good authority that by the time the race starts he will have bought ALL the horses in the race, thereby guaranteeing himself a winner.:tongue:

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 11:15 AM
The amazing thing about Steinbottom and the collapse of the Yankees is that this isn't the first time. When George first bought the Yankees he was an activist owner, and promptly screwed them up. He finally realized he was at fault and turned the operations over to baseball people, who were able to resurrect the team. Then, a couple of years ago he started butting in again. Now they're a disaster.

The Racehorse
05-07-2005, 11:25 AM
The amazing thing about Steinbottom and the collapse of the Yankees is that this isn't the first time. When George first bought the Yankees he was an activist owner, and promptly screwed them up. He finally realized he was at fault and turned the operations over to baseball people, who were able to resurrect the team. Then, a couple of years ago he started butting in again. Now they're a disaster.

Isn't it funny that Steinbrenner's realization to leave operations to baseball people coincides with his "problems" with the US Government and/or MLB?

Or maybe it's just me.

Fenway
05-07-2005, 03:33 PM
even though they are winning today ( 5-0 ) T9 against Oakland

they are looking awful

http://nydailynews.com/images/heads/rope0507.jpg (http://nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/index.html)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/385-BACK_BIG.jpg

MRKARNO
05-07-2005, 06:48 PM
And he probably just got a wee bit more unhappy with the loss by Bellamy Road.

Sox of White
05-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Not only did his horse not win, but his horse got 7th! But, the yankees won today unfortunately.