PDA

View Full Version : Relocated Sox Fans

DetroitSoxFan
05-06-2005, 04:16 PM
This is my first post on the site. I'm moving to Detroit soon and I want to keep up with all the great Sox fans I'm leaving behind in Chicago. I went to over 100 Sox games during my time and at least now I'll be able to check them out when they come to play the Tigers. So for all the people out there that had to move away from Chicago...how do you deal with White Sox withdrawl? haha

samram
05-06-2005, 04:19 PM
This is my first post on the site. I'm moving to Detroit soon and I want to keep up with all the great Sox fans I'm leaving behind in Chicago. I went to over 100 Sox games during my time and at least now I'll be able to check them out when they come to play the Tigers. So for all the people out there that had to move away from Chicago...how do you deal with White Sox withdrawl? haha

This site pretty much takes care of it.

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Moved to NC a little over a year ago. Come check out the chat during games. Lots of displaced people in there.

PS I removed your signature. It is spam and it's not allowed here.

michned
05-06-2005, 04:40 PM
...how do you deal with White Sox withdrawl?

With all the cool technology to take advantage of, the only thing you miss is actually being there.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
05-06-2005, 04:42 PM
As I posted on a previous thread:

"I have the ideal setup. DirecTV with the sports package, MLB Extra Innings, Tivo, and XM, not to mention WSI.

The Sports package gives you comcast sports net Chicago so you can watch pre and post-game shows plus Tribune Live or any of that other crap. Extra Innings plus tivo gets you almost every game, whether you can catch it live or not. XM fills in the gap for when the game is not on Extra Innings."

I stronly recommend something similar for all out of market fans.

Technology these days is great. It was really tough about 5 years ago, but I get all I want these days, other than some of the horrible out of market broadcasts / announcers. The chat room during games is cool too.

BaseballTonyght
05-06-2005, 04:46 PM
With all the cool technology to take advantage of, the only thing you miss is actually being there.

Amen to that. I moved out to the left coast five years ago. WSI, MLB Extra Innings, and the three or four games played out in Anaheim every year keep me connected. However, you certainly do miss being there :(:

I've already purchased my tickets for May 23rd vs. Anaheim. Only a few more weeks :bandance:

nccwsfan
05-06-2005, 04:52 PM

Welcome aboard! I've been away from Chicagoland since 91' and Illinois since 94'. It was hard to keep updated during the late 90's, but thanks to technology I've been able to see/hear as many games as I had in the past:

TV- whatever games I don't catch on WGN I'll catch on MLB.TV (MLB website)
Radio- I spend more time listening to games than watching them, and I do it through my XM Radio. XM is a must for any baseball fan, BTW.
Chat- this website is the perfect place to talk all things White Sox baseball. It's as good as published.

Hope that helps- take care.

SoxWillWin
05-06-2005, 04:52 PM
We're out here in A's country, But WSI, and MLB gameday keep us informed. We do get to see them when there here, and when the A's go to the Cell.

scottyl
05-06-2005, 09:35 PM
MLB.tv has its limitations, but its a sweet low budget solution to watch the games. Only warning I have about MLB.tv is that it has an automatic renewal, so you'll get charged automatically next year unless you e-mail them to end your service. (MLB -- the auto-renewal has got to go).

SouthSide4Life
05-06-2005, 09:37 PM
This is my first post on the site. I'm moving to Detroit soon and I want to keep up with all the great Sox fans I'm leaving behind in Chicago. I went to over 100 Sox games during my time and at least now I'll be able to check them out when they come to play the Tigers. So for all the people out there that had to move away from Chicago...how do you deal with White Sox withdrawl? hahamy advice to you is start drinking. Heavily.

OKCidiot
05-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm also a relocated White Sox fan. I work for Southwest Airlines and I transferred to Oklahoma City 6 years ago. I'll still catch games on WGN but I also follow via the internet (especially this cool forum), and I also have the luxury of travel, so I catch them whenever I'm home visiting the family. My credit card debt will be paid off within the next year, so I'm planning on doing more roadtripping in the future.

GO SOX!!!

ondafarm
05-06-2005, 09:47 PM
...how do you deal with White Sox withdrawl? haha

This site was great for preventing DTs. I also "watched" games on MLB.com Plus, because it was North Carolina I could get to lots of Sox minor league games. That plus a former teammate of mine was scouting the Southern and Carolina leagues for our old Japanese organization. So we got to quite a few games and I'd get lots of insight from him. When Ondafarm, adopt the moniker.

Oldfellah
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Been in NC for 7 years.... I go thru withdrawals,,, if they didn't have gameday,, I'd go freakin nuts... still rather be there..

On a side note,,, nice to see a few NC'rs in the house.. Sorry, but the WHITE SOX lic. plate is taken... :D:

krohnjw
05-06-2005, 10:50 PM
NC here too...Just came down in January and not being able to go to any games is rough. I plan on heading to a few charlotte games next weekend and have survived so far with XM radio and MLB.tv.

I can still watch all the games, but it is tough to want to go and not be able to. I am thinking of catching one or 2 of the games in Baltimore, but that is still 6 hours away so we'll see. At least in Detroit you will be able to see the sox a good amount :cool:

As far as the NC license plates go I was shocked to see what they allowed! I did opt for the boring under the counter plate though.

NorthlakeTom
05-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I've lived in Reno since '78, and it has been tough keeping up. Before the internet, all I could do was check the daily newspaper.

Memories of old Comiskey include:

Wednesday afternoons in the bleachers when Harry did his broadcasts from there. It was worth it just to watch him swill Falstaff. (IIRC, the bleachers were only $1 in the early '70s.)

Being in the LF upper deck in '68, and seeing a Mickey Mantle homerun land not 20 ft. in front of us.

In '83, I decided to go to Oakland Coliseum and see the Sox play the Athletics. It was mid-September, and the Sox had already clinched the division. I was wearing my Winning Ugly t-shirt that my mother had mailed to me. The A's started a rookie making his first major league appearance, and he no-hit the Sox. Oh well.

For the past three years I've listened to the games on MLB Audio. It's getting to the point with Farmer's annoying inanity that I may start listening to the opposing teams' broadcasts.

OKCidiot
05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Cool! Northlake in the house!!!

West Leyden, class of '82 here.

GO SOX!!!!!

NorthlakeTom
05-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Cool! Northlake in the house!!!

West Leyden, class of '82 here.

GO SOX!!!!!

Class of '75 here.

I imagine everyone is familiar with Tom Dore. I went to school with Tom from first grade until his sophomore year when he transferred to East Leyden. I remember our first grade teacher at St. John's, Mrs. Kalenowski, used to measure Tom every month. The kid grew like a weed. I also remember JV basketball practice at St. John's. Coach Janus would tell Dore to take a lap, and when he was halfway around the gym, coach told us that anyone who couldn't pass him before he made it around was off the team. We all beat him on the lap. Dore was terribly uncoordinated and slow as a kid, but I see he did alright for himself. I've e-mailed him several times, but he's never replied. I guess that's what money and fame can do to you.

chuckn98229
05-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I was transferred out here to NW Washington State in 2001. Have subscribed to MLB Extra Innings every season since moving out here. Great to be able to see a lot of Sox games (no WGN on cable out here). Now that I am retired, I can actually watch most of the games. My social calendar is built around when the White Sox games are on!!

BigEdWalsh
05-07-2005, 01:22 AM
It hasn't happened yet, but in a month or so I'm moving to Utah. Don't know for sure how I'm going to handle not being able to go to games. Occasionally, I might have to make a road trip when the Sox play out west.
One cool thing is I'll be able to check out the young guys (Oh, that sounds a little weird) when Great Falls season starts.
And of course, thank goodness for this site!! :D:

TDog
05-07-2005, 01:39 AM
I grew up in Munster, Ind., about a 20-minute drive from Comiskey, but I spent 20 years in Arizona and almost two years so far in Alaska after four years in Wisconsin. The time-zone thing and my work hours render paying for television (especially where I live) just plain wasteful. During the week, even night games are finished by the time I get home. Saturday's game will start at about 9 a.m., I think.

This year, I became involved in an intense murder trial on April 4. Until the jury returned its verdict Thursday, I haven't had much time at all to pay attention to baseball. I hope I didn't miss anything good.

When there are games I am around for, I spend them in the WSI chat room.

NWSox
05-07-2005, 01:48 AM
This year, I became involved in an intense murder trial on April 4. Until the jury returned its verdict Thursday.

You need to start an "Intense Murder Trial" thread next time that happens and keep us up to date. That would be a great Parking Lot topic.

surfdudes
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM
The wat the Sox are playing this year, it's even exciting watching the diagram change every 30 seconds on Yahoo Game channel!

I get to see them all 3 games at Petco when they play the Padres. My sister is even shipping in some Italian beef for the Tailgate.

MeanFish
05-07-2005, 11:48 AM
The wat the Sox are playing this year, it's even exciting watching the diagram change every 30 seconds on Yahoo Game channel!

I get to see them all 3 games at Petco when they play the Padres. My sister is even shipping in some Italian beef for the Tailgate.

Something worth mentioning... for penniless relocated fans like myself, today is a rare pleasure: Sox game on WGN.

:bandance:

batmanZoSo
05-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Moved to NC a little over a year ago. Come check out the chat during games. Lots of displaced people in there.

Lots of "displaced" people indeed. :nuts::unsure::mg::smokin::rolling::roflmao:

Stroker Ace
05-07-2005, 11:51 AM

WSI and MLB gamecast. (I'm a poor college student and don't have the money for MLB.tv:whiner: )

hose
05-07-2005, 11:55 AM

WSI has members from Ireland and England that keep in touch with the Sox.

At least Detroit has the Sox come into town 3 times a year.:cool:

samram
05-07-2005, 12:03 PM
This year, I became involved in an intense murder trial on April 4. Until the jury returned its verdict Thursday, I haven't had much time at all to pay attention to baseball. I hope I didn't miss anything good.

Hopefully, by "involved", you mean you're a lawyer and not the defendant.:D:

ohiosoxfan
05-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Have lived in Columbus,OH since 1983. Make it back for 3-4 games a year as I have it down to 5 hours even drive time. Gain an hour going west so for day games I leave at about 6AM and can be back in Columbus after a Connie's deep dish at 12:30 AM or so. Nothing like it.

Also catch games in Cleveland, Detroit. Need more interleague with NL Central so Pittsburgh and Cincinnati would come into play.

XM has been a massive addition this year. Could usually get AM1000 after dark but not too well when weather was iffy.

kraut83
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I travel quite a bit for work during the week, and XM has been worth the dough just for the games. Also, as someone said, take advantage of Detroit and Cleveland. Running into Sox fans at other parks is always a good time too!

TDog
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Hopefully, by "involved", you mean you're a lawyer and not the defendant.:D:

I was a professional observer, but certainly not as involved as the jury. The trial was intense enough that jurors inquired of the judge when it was over if post-trial counseling would be available to them.

I know I wasn't the only person missing baseball in the courtroom. One of the jurors wore a Mariners sweatshirt throughout the trial.

Joel Perez
05-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Here in South Texas, I visit this website every day, either as a Guest or my handle when I want to chime in. I also read the Chicago papers' web sites, a couple of other Sox web sites - official and unofficial, plus any chance that the Sox are on satellite TV, I tune into WGN, and crack open a 24-pack of Shiner Bock, baby!!!:gulp:

EastCoastSoxFan
05-09-2005, 10:33 AM
...I moved to Philadelphia in 1990 to go to college and never left.
Fortunately there are several parks within driving distance and one within a short subway ride -- though perhaps it wasn't the greatest idea to wear my Sox jersey into the Vet for the '02 interleague games. Fortunately I went to the two that we won. Gotta do something about that Camden Yards record, though...

MiamiSpartan
05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Good Luck over there. I took a lot of abuse during my years at State. This site is just about all there is, 'cause it is rare to get the Sox on TV down here (No WGN). Mostly a sea of Yankee fans...yech.

fox23
05-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I didn't know there were that many Sox fans in NC! My folks moved there a few years ago and watch all the games on directv, I'll have to let them know there's a few more out there like them.

VivaOzzie
05-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Hey Ive actually been up here in MI for the last 5 years now and this site, along with mlb.tv, pretty much takes care of it.

Also, I noticed you moved to Royal Oak. I just graduated from State and I took a job in the Detroit area. Are there any cheap places to live in the Royal Oak area? I have some friends that live around there but they are all pretty well-off. If you know of anything in that area, let me know, thats where I want to end up.

I also read your profile, I see youre a fellow Engineer (I'm Civil). Go Engineering and GO SOX!!:cheers:

Muopsies
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I'll be one by September. I'm moving to San Jose from Orland Park. Hopefully, I'll have to make a few trips home in mid and late October.

fox2
05-09-2005, 03:04 PM
I've been a long way away a long time, living in Europe since 1978. Up until a couple of years ago I could catch 2 or 3 Sox games a year on AFN-TV, but when the army moved out that was it. Until this year. I know a lot of you have some complaints but for me MLB.com is the greatest thing since white bread. I'll be back home for a few days this month, but unfortunately the Sox are out of town. However I'm also going down to Dallas to visit my daughter, and I've already got tickets for the 28th at the Ball Park in Arlington. Can't wait.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I've never lived in Chicago, so I guess I've always been a displaced Sox fan. My dad was a fan of the '50's Sox, and I got hooked in the early 90's. I grew up in Montana, and now live near Denver. I'm going to see the Sox play their first series ever in the thin air at Coors (early June), but the rest of the time I get by on MLB.com, WSI, and whatever news I can get from other online sources.

CaptUSN
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Graduated from Lane Tech and left nearly immediately for the Naval Academy. Spent 32 years wearing Navy Blue & Gold. Retired in the Washington, D.C. area of Northern Virginia. DirecTV w/ Extra Innings package does it for me....:smile:

Jurr
05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
WSI, MLB Extra Innings, and MLB Gameday Audio. I listen to the pre and post game stuff with MLB Audio and watch the game on TV. Then, you've got the Trib, Sun, Southtown, and ESPN on the 'net (plus, of course,WSI). Can't be beat. That is the best a transplant like myself can hope for.

cwsox
05-09-2005, 05:31 PM
(IIRC, the bleachers were only $1 in the early '70s.)

You do recall correctly

cwsox
05-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Graduated from Lane Tech

what year Lane Tech?

69 for me