PDA

View Full Version : A Fair Assesment

dcb33
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3594830

mweflen
05-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Coming into 2005, the Sox figured to be notably worse for having parted with Carlos Lee (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85051) and signing overrated Jermaine Dye (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85133). To boot, Frank Thomas (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85030), the best hitter in franchise history, has yet to play a single game and probably won't for some time.

No real analyst who actually paid attention to ALL transactions would have thought this. Anyone worth their salt (including just about every member of this board) would have said that the Sox were notably deeper in both pitching rotation and starting lineup, but were not without significant question marks (i.e. Frank, injuries to pitchers, power loss, etc.)

This guy's summary of our transactions is pretty much what every mediot know-nothing said.

BaseballTonyght
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
No real analyst who actually paid attention to ALL transactions would have thought this. Anyone worth their salt (including just about every member of this board) would have said that the Sox were notably deeper in both pitching rotation and starting lineup, but were not without significant question marks (i.e. Frank, injuries to pitchers, power loss, etc.)

This guy's summary of our transactions is pretty much what every mediot know-nothing said.

I've come to the conclusion that with most Sox fans, or at least the ones that post here, there is simply no appeasement. It's some bizarre form of baseball Napoleon syndrome :cool:

EDIT: Furthermore, the author offers what appears to be a well researched and fair viewpoint of the Sox. And in the end, he even concludes the Sox are "very much to be taken seriously". I fail to see how that qualifies him as a "mediot know-nothing".

mweflen
05-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I've come to the conclusion that with most Sox fans, or at least the ones that post here, there is simply no appeasement. It's some bizarre form of baseball Napoleon syndrome :cool:

EDIT: Furthermore, the author offers what appears to be a well researched and fair viewpoint of the Sox. And in the end, he even concludes the Sox are "very much to be taken seriously". I fail to see how that qualifies him as a "mediot know-nothing".

Anyone who writes the quote above-referenced is a mediot who didn't pay a whole lot of attention during the off-season. Just how do you boil down the acquisitions of Henrandez, Iguchi, Pierzynski, Dye, Podsednik, Hermanson and Vizcaino to a straight-up replacement of Carlos with Dye (who, by the way, don't even play the same position)?

Here is the quote again, in case you don't want to scroll up.

Coming into 2005, the Sox figured to be notably worse for having parted with Carlos Lee (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85051) and signing overrated Jermaine Dye (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85133). To boot, Frank Thomas (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85030), the best hitter in franchise history, has yet to play a single game and probably won't for some time.

I never said the guy is a sox hater. He's just an ill-informed yutz trying to jump on the very tiny national bandwagon while it's still cool to.

buehrle4cy05
05-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I got TSN today, and of course, they predict that the White Sox won't make the playoffs. I guess the fact that 8 of the last 9 teams to be the 1st to 20 wins have made the playoffs doesn't mean anything.

Johnny Mostil
05-06-2005, 10:04 PM
I got TSN today, and of course, they predict that the White Sox won't make the playoffs. I guess the fact that 8 of the last 9 teams to be the 1st to 20 wins have made the playoffs doesn't mean anything.

Which article are you referencing? Here's the conclusion of the article, more positive than negative, on p. 17, "South Siders heading north":

". . . the White Sox could pitch their way to the playoffs.

"Now the bad news: Their pitching and hitting aren't the caliber of a traditional playoff team. But who would expect Guillen to do anything traditionally?"

I don't read that as "the White Sox won't make the playoffs." I read it as
1. the pitching is good so far, but
2. the writers aren't quite yet convinced, and
3. the hitting ain't there yet, but
4. (in the context of the rest of the article) Ozzie can manage his way around this.

Does anybody here disagree with (1) and (3)? (4) is also complimentary. Even (2) is balanced by the other observations.

FarWestChicago
05-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Which article are you referencing? Here's the conclusion of the article, more positive than negative, on p. 17, "South Siders heading north":

". . . the White Sox could pitch their way to the playoffs.

"Now the bad news: Their pitching and hitting aren't the caliber of a traditional playoff team. But who would expect Guillen to do anything traditionally?"

I don't read that as "the White Sox won't make the playoffs." I read it as
1. the pitching is good so far, but
2. the writers aren't quite yet convinced, and
3. the hitting ain't there yet, but
4. (in the context of the rest of the article) Ozzie can manage his way around this.

Does anybody here disagree with (1) and (3)? (4) is also complimentary. Even (2) is balanced by the other observations.As I said in another thread, don't read the mediot assclowns. Enjoy the moment. The future will happen, and the mediots have no control over it.

elrod
05-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Didn't we already have a thread on Mr Goodhair's column? What kind of name is "Dayn" anyway?

Johnny Mostil
05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
As I said in another thread, don't read the mediot assclowns. Enjoy the moment. The future will happen, and the mediots have no control over it.

Ummmm, but I don't think this was an assessment of a "mediot assclown." I'm not saying it was very informative, but I don't understand the reaction to it . . .

FarWestChicago
05-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Ummmm, but I don't think this was an assessment of a "mediot assclown." I'm not saying it was very informative, but I don't understand the reaction to it . . .Please name the "informed media individuals" who are not mediot assclowns. Who you approve of will show a lot about you. :D:

Me? I approve of none of them. If you knew anything about the profession, I think you would agree. It's all about "selling", not producing quality.

kojak
05-07-2005, 12:26 AM
West, there is really only one and he is not "in the biz" anymore:

Bob Costas

DaGame2584
05-07-2005, 10:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3594830

Not a bad piece. Take a look and see what you think.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Soxzilla
05-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Dayn Perry is an idiot.

The fact he can't comprehend simple math made me stop reading the article.

21+7 = 28. Idiot.

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 10:32 AM
They're beginning to look very,very real.Their start reminds me of a line
from Bob Dylan's "Ballad Of A Thin Man". "You know something's happening,
but you don't know what it is".Maybe the baseball gods (if they do exist)
chose the year 2005 to PISS on the sCrUBS and smile on the OTHER
Chicago baseball team.

Let's wait and see how the months of May and June
pan out before deciding whether this team is for real
or not.

TheOldRoman
05-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I thought this article was crap. The guys slices up our entire pitching staff for the first part of the article, then talks at length about how horrible our offense is. While the pitching staff will increase its ERA, this moron made it sound like they are all bad pitchers, and the era will go up by 2 runs a game. Im surprise this moron is writing that the Sox are for real given his views on them. Just another angry tool from the Cub-loving media who is upset he has to cover the other team in Chicago.

johnny_mostil
05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
I thought this article was crap. The guys slices up our entire pitching staff for the first part of the article, then talks at length about how horrible our offense is. While the pitching staff will increase its ERA, this moron made it sound like they are all bad pitchers, and the era will go up by 2 runs a game. Im surprise this moron is writing that the Sox are for real given his views on them. Just another angry tool from the Cub-loving media who is upset he has to cover the other team in Chicago.

No, not really. The White Sox aren't really a .760 team because nobody ever has been. They aren't going to win 125 games.

What kills me -- over and over -- is the failure to realize that Carlos Lee was about buying low and selling high. The offseason acquisitions were all, to a man, coming off some kind of disappointing season.

TheOldRoman
05-07-2005, 10:55 AM
No, not really. The White Sox aren't really a .760 team because nobody ever has been. They aren't going to win 125 games.

What kills me -- over and over -- is the failure to realize that Carlos Lee was about buying low and selling high. The offseason acquisitions were all, to a man, coming off some kind of disappointing season.
Obviously, the Sox wont win 122 games. It wasn't him saying we wont win that many, it was the manner in which he talked down about the Sox. He is clearly disgusted that the other team in Chicago is doing good.

Palehose Pete
05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
They're beginning to look very,very real.Their start reminds me of a line
from Bob Dylan's "Ballad Of A Thin Man". "You know something's happening,
but you don't know what it is".Maybe the baseball gods (if they do exist)
chose the year 2005 to PISS on the sCrUBS and smile on the OTHER
Chicago baseball team.

Let's wait and see how the months of May and June
pan out before deciding whether this team is for real

I couldn't agree with you more. Personally, I'm glad that no one knows why we're winning because maybe that means opposing teams will have a tougher time figuring out how to beat us.