PDA

View Full Version : Brooks on AM670 5/6-2:45

monkeypants
05-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Just letting everybody know.

popilius
05-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Uh-oh. . . they started it off by talking about attendance. . .

:gulp:

Jjav829
05-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Recap:

THM: You have the best team in baseball, but attendance is lacking.
Tell us what you have coming up and why people should go out to the games.

Boyer: Most important thing is the winning. The Sox play team baseball, similar to what the Bulls do. That's what will bring out core fans and bandwagon fans. Fans will like coming out and will return more times.

THM: Asked about sleepover night.

Boyer: Recapped the sleepover experience. Sleeping in outfield grass, early morning workout.

THM: Woman called yesterday and complained about the price.

Boyer: Frustrating to hear people complain about the price. Mondays are half price. There are 5 different levels of pricing. Kids days and Pepsi two-for-one Tuesdays are also great. Even dollar dog Thursdays give concession discounts.

THM: Do you ever envision a scenario where the Sox are the #1 game in town and Cubs can't fill their seats?

Boyer: In my job, you have to have that vision. Cubs have a great product and it is marketed very well. It's a great experience at Wrigley, but it didn't use to be that way. Sox used to outdraw Cubs. Hopefully Sox can reach that level. Hopefully we can draw 3 million fans and support a higher payroll.

THM: A lot of experience between Wrigley and the Cell has to do with area around the park.

Boyer: Cell is never gonna be Wrigley. Won't have bars across the street, but the area around the Cell is developing well. Reminds him of the time with the Bulls when the area developed. Bridgeport is developing well. They're gonna market to the people in the redeveloped area in hopes of getting better walk-up.

kevingrt
05-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Just increasing the likelihood that the Sox are going to move to the Score next year.

tebman
05-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Just increasing the likelihood that the Sox are going to move to the Score next year.

And the likelihood that Sox fans in 38 states (http://members.aol.com/xmitters/)and Canada will get to hear the games again on the former WMAQ (http://www.scottchilders.com/timecapsule/TCWMAQ.htm).

KarkoFan1
05-06-2005, 04:25 PM
They meantioned a bar that is found near the stadium that I have never heard of. I had my first Jimbo's experience last weekend and I want to try some other places after me and my buddies leave the Bullpen Bar. Does anyone know what bar they meantioned and where it's located ? :gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2005, 04:54 PM
They meantioned a bar that is found near the stadium that I have never heard of. I had my first Jimbo's experience last weekend and I want to try some other places after me and my buddies leave the Bullpen Bar. Does anyone know what bar they meantioned and where it's located ? :gulp:

There are a few that I've heard of. Puffer's is at 3300 S. Halsted or so, and I think there's one at 32nd and Normal. There's also another bar/restaurant on Pershing where you can park there as long as you buy $9 or so worth of drinks.

I know, informative, aren't I?

Hangar18
05-06-2005, 05:05 PM
And the likelihood that Sox fans in 38 states (http://members.aol.com/xmitters/)and Canada will get to hear the games again on the former WMAQ (http://www.scottchilders.com/timecapsule/TCWMAQ.htm).

The Score 670 AM is heard in 38 states? Noway. Ive been to MI, OH, WI,
and MN, and couldnt get the station.

MRKARNO
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM

At night on a good day.

tebman
05-06-2005, 05:13 PM

"38 states and Canada" (at night) was a standard ad-line for the big old clear-channel stations when they used to brag about it. The statement is literally true, but it obviously depends on the weather and the season. YMMV.

PaleHosed
05-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Maybe you need a better antenna. I drive up to Grand Rapids, MI quite often and can here it clear as day outside of lightning storms. I've also know regular listeners to the show from that area. Also, in the past I've heard listeners call in from Iowa and Ohio.

Back in the day when 670 was still WMAQ I was able to tune in, although quite fuzzy yet listenable, in Orlando, FL.

AM signals are quite funky and on certain nights will travel remarkable differences. I often pick up WCBS out of NY and have picked up stations as far away as Denver and Toronto. I believe the best nights are when there is cloud cover or if we have a far reaching Northern Lights show. I heard that in one of the bigger Northern Lights shows about 30 years ago listeners on the east cost were picking up AM stations in Germany and Denmark.

HomeFish
05-06-2005, 07:06 PM
A while back, Dave Wills got a call from a small town in West Virginia. Apparently, they got ESPN 1000 there, and the guy calling in was a Sox fan because, well, that's what was on the radio.

AM does things like that. When I was in Milwaukee for the preseason Sox/Brewers game, we picked up Boston and Cleveland stations before finding a Wisconsin one.

Parrothead
05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
There are a few that I've heard of. Puffer's is at 3300 S. Halsted or so, and I think there's one at 32nd and Normal. There's also another bar/restaurant on Pershing where you can park there as long as you buy $9 or so worth of drinks.

The name of the bar on Pershing is Cobblestones. They charge 10 to park in thier lot but you get 10 bucks worth of drinks.

bayzbol44
05-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Just wondering...Why can't there be bars closer to the stadium? Couldn't they put some on the other side of the tracks?

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 10:42 PM

First Base is at the corner of 32nd and Normal. If you go in and have a soda or Beer, they will give you a neighborhood parking pass. Then you can walk a few blocks to the park. It is a great place and I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of the deal. I have heard a few other bars have the same deal.

kevingrt
05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
First Base is at the corner of 32nd and Normal. If you go in and have a soda or Beer, they will give you a neighborhood parking pass. Then you can walk a few blocks to the park. It is a great place and I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of the deal. I have heard a few other bars have the same deal.

Because of perceptions and media loud-mouths that have no clue what they are talking about when discussing the area around the ball park, that's why no one takes advantage of the surronding area.

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
"38 states and Canada" (at night) was a standard ad-line for the big old clear-channel stations when they used to brag about it. The statement is literally true, but it obviously depends on the weather and the season. YMMV.

That is really true at night, as you said. It probably dates back to the days before television when radio was king.

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Because of perceptions and media loud-mouths that have no clue what they are talking about when discussing the area around the ball park, that's why no one takes advantage of the surronding area.

It is sad isn't it. My wife and I are looking at building a house in Bridgeport. We are from the West Burbs, live in the West Loop, but love the are and the Sox!

Lip Man 1
05-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Brooks comment about the Sox outdrawing the Cubs for a number of years was correct and that needs to be made public more often then it is.

From 1951 through 1967 the Sox outdrew the Cubs every season but one...so much for the notion that 'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...' Please...

Lip

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:11 PM

As great as that sounds, there still needs to be more on 35th street. That's what I think people associate with "bars around the ballpark". There is nothing that close(besides Jimbos) that seems somewhat within walking distance and where the ballpark is visible from the location. I'm not saying it's a fact, it's just a perception. You have to think of the casual fan. Die-hards will go just about anywhere.

Oh, if somone would just buy out the New Style Shade Company, and make a restaurant/bar out of that........:(:

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
It is sad isn't it. My wife and I are looking at building a house in Bridgeport. We are from the West Burbs, live in the West Loop, but love the are and the Sox!

Are you looking at Bridgeport Village or are you going to be one of the first on the cleared land on Pershing?

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 11:18 PM
As great as that sounds, there still needs to be more on 35th street. That's what I think people associate with "bars around the ballpark". There is nothing that close(besides Jimbos) that seems somewhat within walking distance and where the ballpark is visible from the location. I'm not saying it's a fact, it's just a perception. You have to think of the casual fan. Die-hards will go just about anywhere.

Oh, if somone would just buy out the New Style Shade Company, and make a restaurant/bar out of that........:(:

I agree with your comments; however, we have to realize the Sox market to Baseball Fans and Families. The Cubs market to individuals that live in the Lakeview neighborhood that go to only get drunk. I know it is a generalization; however, it is the perception.

I go to the Park to tailgate (which is better then a bar), watch the game, and the maybe catch a drink or two at a local bar. I do not go to the game to go out in the neighborhood. Sox fans are baseball fans and Cub fans are alcohol fans that don't watch the games. Is that a fair assessment or is it to harsh?

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I agree with your comments; however, we have to realize the Sox market to Baseball Fans and Families. The Cubs market to individuals that live in the Lakeview neighborhood that go to only get drunk. I know it is a generalization; however, it is the perception.

I go to the Park to tailgate (which is better then a bar), watch the game, and the maybe catch a drink or two at a local bar. I do not go to the game to go out in the neighborhood. Sox fans are baseball fans and Cub fans are alcohol fans that don't watch the games. Is that a fair assessment or is it to harsh?

It doesn't mater why some "fans" go to the game. What matters is getting "people" into the ballpark--in order to generate more revenue. I'm not just talking local either. There are many fans who travel to different ballaprks, and I think that their perceptions may be negative because--"there is nothing to do around the ballpark" --pre and post game. If I wasn't from Chicago, and not a Sox fan, and wanted to visit different ballparks to watch a game, why would I want to go to Comiskey, when there are other more "casual fan friendly" ballparks to visit?

fincher
05-06-2005, 11:33 PM

Not too harsh and I mostly agree. The Cubs market to more than the Lakeview/Lincoln Park crowd but just about all who go there, go for the beautiful Wrigley Field experience. That's just the way it is. Its the perception that its the only game in town that has always bugged me. Even longtime Cub fans acknowledge the crowds there often seem more interested in things other than the game itself.

Winning will bring fans back and give the Sox a chance to show off how nice the park has become with the makeover. Like Brooks Boyer said, the area around the park will never be like Wrigley's but for fans, the Cell is a much better experience for families. I went to the Fundamentals area on Thursday and its awesome for kids. Fans will be pleasantly surprised with the overall experience.

On another note: I've picked The Score at night in Mobile, Ala.

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Are you looking at Bridgeport Village or are you going to be one of the first on the cleared land on Pershing?

We are looking South of Pershing. We are looking for an older house to buy, tear down and build a new house. We have noticed a lot of that going on near the park.

If you are very familiar with the area; how far South does China town go and where does Bridgeport start?

fincher
05-06-2005, 11:40 PM
If I wasn't from Chicago, and not a Sox fan, and wanted to visit different ballparks to watch a game, why would I want to go to Comiskey, when there are other more "casual fan friendly" ballparks to visit?

If you're visiting Chicago, you're most likely staying downtown, so you'd have to take the El to Wrigley or The Cell. I simply disagree on your "casual fan friendly" unless you're touring the Lincoln Park bars.

But, there's no question a visitor is more likely to choose a Cubs game over a Sox game simply because of Wrigley Field. I went to a Yankees game when i visited NYC because I wanted to see Yankee Stadium and monument park. If the Mets were in town then I might have passed.

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Not too harsh and I mostly agree. The Cubs market to more than the Lakeview/Lincoln Park crowd but just about all who go there, go for the beautiful Wrigley Field experience. That's just the way it is. Its the perception that its the only game in town that has always bugged me. Even longtime Cub fans acknowledge the crowds there often seem more interested in things other than the game itself.

Winning will bring fans back and give the Sox a chance to show off how nice the park has become with the makeover. Like Brooks Boyer said, the area around the park will never be like Wrigley's but for fans, the Cell is a much better experience for families. I went to the Fundamentals area on Thursday and its awesome for kids. Fans will be pleasantly surprised with the overall experience.

I agree that mostly the market is families. But let's also be honest here. We unfortunately have to compete with minor league baseball in regards to the family dollar(which is a much better value, considering kids nowadays have a short attention span, and don't pay attention to most of the game anyay)

I know the neighborhood is not going to be like Wrigleyville, which is a good thing. But come on, it's got to be important to have some bars/restaurants very close to the park. Otherwise, why is this a topic that gets discussed on a regular basis?

Huisj
05-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Recap:

Sox used to outdraw Cubs. Hopefully Sox can reach that level. Hopefully we can draw 3 million fans and support a higher payroll.

I sure hope they draw $3 million, especially with the cost of tickets now! :tongue:

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 11:45 PM

I agree with a lot of your comments. For the most part, people do not go to Wrigley Field for the "park" experience, they go there for the neighborhood experience. I don't mind going to Wrigley Field when the Sox play. I get to watch the Sox and enjoy the neighborhood.

The key for the Sox will be recruiting young fans. The Sox lost a lot of long-time fans with the Strike. With the Fundamental area, the Sox will draw many young fans wanting to go to the Park and will grow up SOX FANS!

Now is the time for the Sox marketing to make a strong push while the team is winning.

wdelaney72
05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Uh-oh. . . they started it off by talking about attendance. . .

Given that Brooks is in charge of marketing, attendance is a perfectly relevant discussion topic for Brooks.

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
We are looking South of Pershing. We are looking for an older house to buy, tear down and build a new house. We have noticed a lot of that going on near the park.

If you are very familiar with the area; how far South does China town go and where does Bridgeport start?

That I don't know. I just have paid attention to the area somewhat the last couple of years during my semi-unemployment days. I would go for a drive around the area when I had nothing to do for the day. I would notice some things going on and research on the net.

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 11:49 PM
If you're visiting Chicago, you're most likely staying downtown, so you'd have to take the El to Wrigley or The Cell. I simply disagree on your "casual fan friendly" unless you're touring the Lincoln Park bars.

But, there's no question a visitor is more likely to choose a Cubs game over a Sox game simply because of Wrigley Field. I went to a Yankees game when i visited NYC because I wanted to see Yankee Stadium and monument park. If the Mets were in town then I might have passed.

Isn't Yankee Stadium a dunp? And lets talk about a rough neighborhood. Fans run to the Subway platform to get out of the area!

With the South Loop pushing to Cullerton, there are many bars and great restuarants to go to before and after the game. You can actually park for free, take the L or take a shuttle. It is very easy. I have a lot of friends that have moved from Lakeview to the South Loop and they love it. Time will tell what will happen.

Don't forget neighborhoods change. In the early 80's, Lakeview was very rough and no one wanted to go to the Cub games.

Pulaski
05-06-2005, 11:55 PM
That I don't know. I just have paid attention to the area somewhat the last couple of years during my semi-unemployment days. I would go for a drive around the area when I had nothing to do for the day. I would notice some things going on and research on the net.

Thanks for the info. We did look at Bridgeport Village (forgot the name), but have passed. I wish we looked at it in 2003. The prices have gone up a tremendous amount in the last two years. The area is taking off!

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Well, that's what I mean. I think you're making my point. The perception is that the "experience" of going to a Cubs game and other ballparks which have the amenties either built-in to the park or around the park are a more "casual fan friendly experience".

In regards to your Yankee Stadium visit, that's a little different, considering it's Yankee Stadium. But if I was visiting NY during baseball season, I'd visit Yankee over Shea, and may pass if the Mets were in town.

paciorek1983
05-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the info. We did look at Bridgeport Village (forgot the name), but have passed. I wish we looked at it in 2003. The prices have gone up a tremendous amount in the last two years. The area is taking off!

Yeah it's really going to be nice. And the BV area, from their website it'sis going to pretty big and beautiful.

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Isn't Yankee Stadium a dunp? And lets talk about a rough neighborhood. Fans run to the Subway platform to get out of the area!

With the South Loop pushing to Cullerton, there are many bars and great restuarants to go to before and after the game. You can actually park for free, take the L or take a shuttle. It is very easy. I have a lot of friends that have moved from Lakeview to the South Loop and they love it. Time will tell what will happen.

Don't forget neighborhoods change. In the early 80's, Lakeview was very rough and no one wanted to go to the Cub games.

Ok, see, now this is the type of stuff that needs to be known to the general "baseball game going crowd".

I did know about the early 80's Lakeview situation. I remember watching the 70's cubs game and there not being big crowds. And also, a friend of mine's brother moved there back then---he's a big Cubs fan--prety much why he moved into what was considered a nasty neighborhood at the time.

fincher
05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
I know the neighborhood is not going to be like Wrigleyville, which is a good thing. But come on, it's got to be important to have some bars/restaurants very close to the park. Otherwise, why is this a topic that gets discussed on a regular basis?

Sure its important but the reality is those types of places will not flourish if the only windfall is 81 baseball games. And those places need to be real close to the ballpark. Who wants to park at the game and then park again? At Wrigley, the bars are crowded four nights out of seven, game or no game, all year long obviously due to the just about everyone lives nearby.

The next day game I'll attend is June 22 and I'll probably find a place for a dinner and drink afterward simply because the traffic will be horrendous at rush hour. It took me 90 minutes to get back to my office on the Northwest Side after the game.

Any good places you can recommend?

fincher
05-07-2005, 12:05 AM
paciorek1983, I did make your point even better. :smile:

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Sure its important but the reality is those types of places will not flourish if the only windfall is 81 baseball games. And those places need to be real close to the ballpark. Who wants to park at the game and then park again? At Wrigley, the bars are crowded four nights out of seven, game or no game, all year long obviously due to the just about everyone lives nearby.

The next day game I'll attend is June 22 and I'll probably find a place for a dinner and drink afterward simply because the traffic will be horrendous at rush hour. It took me 90 minutes to get back to my office on the Northwest Side after the game.

Any good places you can recommend?

Unfortuenately, no, I don't. See, and I've been going to Sox games for years. I don't know where I can go, and where I'd feel welcome. I'd hate to tread on the locals turf if I'm not wanted.:(:

Pulaski
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Yeah it's really going to be nice. And the BV area, from their website it'sis going to pretty big and beautiful.

Have you driven through the area? It is amazing.

Another area to watch is the development going up by Rezmar. The development begins at Roosevelt and Clark all the way to 16th and Clark. The River is the West boundary. It is called Riverside Park Chicago.

Check it out.

http://www.riversideparkchicago.com/

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 12:10 AM
paciorek1983, I did make your point even better. :smile:

:wink:

Pulaski
05-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Unfortuenately, no, I don't. See, and I've been going to Sox games for years. I don't know where I can go, and where I'd feel welcome. I'd hate to tread on the locals turf if I'm not wanted.:(:

Pancho Pistolas on 31st (around 740 W 31st) is a great Mexican restaurant.

fincher
05-07-2005, 12:12 AM

There's some place that advertises on ESPN Radio 1000; I just don't remember the name. I used to go to Home Run Inn in the early-to-mid 80s. Oh well, I may just go to Chinatown...nothing wrong with that.

fincher
05-07-2005, 12:13 AM

I'll make a note of that. Thanks!

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 12:15 AM

?

Well, that's why I do think it's important for somethng to open on 35th. It's a main street. It's in the middle fo the neighborhood. There is more develpment happening, which a restuarant/bar would be attended by residents during non-game days. And, it would be withing walking distance of the ballpark and parking.

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 12:16 AM

Ok.:smile:

paciorek1983
05-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Another area to watch is the development going up by Rezmar. The development begins at Roosevelt and Clark all the way to 16th and Clark. The River is the West boundary. It is called Riverside Park Chicago.

Check it out.

http://www.riversideparkchicago.com/

Wow. I hate to say it, but that would have been a great site for a ballpark.:(:

BainesHOF
05-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Try Cathers bar. It's on 35th, a block west of Halsted.

rwcescato
05-07-2005, 02:32 AM
A while back, Dave Wills got a call from a small town in West Virginia. Apparently, they got ESPN 1000 there, and the guy calling in was a Sox fan because, well, that's what was on the radio.

AM does things like that. When I was in Milwaukee for the preseason Sox/Brewers game, we picked up Boston and Cleveland stations before finding a Wisconsin one.

Last summer while driving through Joliet I was able to pick up Red Sox stations and Yankees broadcasts.

Pulaski
05-07-2005, 12:12 PM

I never thought about that as a possibility, but it would have been great. I believe Rezmar will develop 62-67 acres. I am not sure if that is enough space for a stadium and parking; however, just North of Clark is a new Target and some other vacant land that lead up to the parking lots near River City (800 South Wells). With this land there would have been plenty of land for the park and parking. It would have been great.

I do know that Rezmar has been dealing with a lot of OSHA and evironment issues with the land. The project has been constantly depayed. This could also do with Walmart wanting to buy the land from Rezmar, but failed.

tebman
05-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I never thought about that as a possibility, but it would have been great. I believe Rezmar will develop 62-67 acres. I am not sure if that is enough space for a stadium and parking; however, just North of Clark is a new Target and some other vacant land that lead up to the parking lots near River City (800 South Wells). With this land there would have been plenty of land for the park and parking. It would have been great.

I do know that Rezmar has been dealing with a lot of OSHA and evironment issues with the land. The project has been constantly depayed. This could also do with Walmart wanting to buy the land from Rezmar, but failed.

I'm not sure, but I think that was the site that was proposed for a new ballpark in the mid-'80s. I remember seeing a press conference when Harold Washington was mayor showing off a model of combination baseball & football stadium that the Sox and Bears would've shared. It didn't go anywhere because the Bears didn't want to be part of it.

I do remember the proposed site was the near south side, and that Rezmar site may well have been it.

Jjav829
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I sure hope they draw $3 million, especially with the cost of tickets now! :tongue:

No idea what you're talking about. I clearly said 3 million fans. :?: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Back in the day when 670 was still WMAQ I was able to tune in, although quite fuzzy yet listenable, in Orlando, FL.

I heard the 1983 team clinch the AL West title on a 1974
Duster AM Radio that barely got reception in Normal,IL.
(I went to ISU for 2 years).

tacosalbarojas
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Brooks comment about the Sox outdrawing the Cubs for a number of years was correct and that needs to be made public more often then it is.

From 1951 through 1967 the Sox outdrew the Cubs every season but one...so much for the notion that 'Chicago has always been a Cubs town...' Please...

LipPreach it brother...it's gonna happen again too. Everything is cyclical in this old world of ours.

Ol' No. 2
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Preach it brother...it's gonna happen again too. Everything is cyclical in this old world of ours.You don't have to go back that far. In 1981 the Cubs drew an average of fewer than 10,000.

tebman
05-07-2005, 09:36 PM
You don't have to go back that far. In 1981 the Cubs drew an average of fewer than 10,000.
Hey, it was '83 when Lee Elia had his historic rant (http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/elia.htm) about the 3,000 unemployed bums who come to Cub games. And don't forget that for many years they didn't even open the upper deck for weekday games.

Everything goes in cycles. Every dog has his day.

skobabe8
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM

I commented on this the last game I went to. Someone needs to buy out the Shade Company. That place would be perfect for a drinking establishment. Anybody want to pool their money together and start a business with me?

paciorek1983
05-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I commented on this the last game I went to. Someone needs to buy out the Shade Company. That place would be perfect for a drinking establishment. Anybody want to pool their money together and start a business with me?

I wish I had the money for that. I would suppose sooner or later, when the neighborhood develops even more, that someone might try to buy them out. Every time I see that place I get really frustrated. It's in such a good location for a restaurant/bar. It's on 35th, so it would be very visible, it's close to parking and close to the ballpark. Let's get the cash together!!:gulp:

JKryl
05-08-2005, 01:07 AM
The name of the bar on Pershing is Cobblestones. They charge 10 to park in thier lot but you get 10 bucks worth of drinks.

Correct, and you can use your coupons before or after the game. Also, during football season, they serve a free lunch. So, you can see the Sox, then watch the bears at a 3 pm game with a free lunch. Not bad.

JackParkman
05-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Yep. Last year on my annual fishing trip to northwestern Ontario (about five hours north of the border) I could pick up the Score most nights.

FoulTerritory
05-08-2005, 11:45 AM

I was on vaca fishing in West Virginia once (1990 i think), and was able to listen to a Sox game on the car radio. I was at a high altitude though, in the Apalachians. It was pretty neat to be able to fish in the middle of nowhere in WV and simultaneously listen to the Game on the radio as if I was home.

ThatGuyOnTheL
05-08-2005, 02:04 PM
At Wrigley, the bars are crowded four nights out of seven, game or no game, all year long obviously due to the just about everyone lives nearby.

You make a very important distinction here. Having 2, 3, or 9 extra bars on 35th isn't going to dissuade any prospective Sox fans from moving to LP/Wrigleyville.

One of Chicago's greatest civic strengths is the massive influx of young people it receives every year. Just as my college classmates moved en masse to NYC after graduation, droves of young Midwesterners with no firm baseball allegiance - but plenty of disposable income - move to the city each year. Hate it or love it (thanks, The Game), this is why Chicago can remain a world-class city with world-class amenities.

Just by sheer physical proximity, the Scrubs convert almost 100% of these people into ticket-buying, merchandise-wearing, neighborhood-establishment-patronizing fans. While we wouldn't want the hard-core frat-boys out at Comiskey, we would be foolish not to ask ourselves if the Sox could get a tiny piece - even 10% - of this pie. Even the flat-broke CTA sends out "New Resident Welcome Kits" to turn new arrivals into L riders - why not an effort to see if we can get new arrivals to sample our product and like it?

tebman
05-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Yep. Last year on my annual fishing trip to northwestern Ontario (about five hours north of the border) I could pick up the Score most nights.
It's really true. The techology is 90 years old, but it works. What surprises me is how few people seem to be aware of it. I've picked up Chicago AM stations cleanly enough to listen from Boston, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Denver. JP has picked it up in NW Ontario in Canada. I have a friend who routinely listens to WSCR and WLS in Arizona.

We need to enjoy it while we can -- the industry and the FCC is pushing a new digital-transmission scheme that is designed to eventually replace regular analog signals with a digital bitstream. When that happens (if all the industry players can agree on how to do it) the broadcast stations will behave like cellphones when you get to fringe listening areas. Instead of fading and bouncing off the ionosphere, the signals will abruptly drop out the way a cellphone does when it--sputt--sputt-- :(:

nasox
05-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Didn't read through the thread, so this may have been said. In New Hampshire, I get AM 1000 at night rain or shine. Can't get 670 that well.

Edit: You know that scene in Ferris Bueller's Day off where they are at the Cubs Game. The place is really deserted, and really nobody is there. THis is on a nice, sunny May day. Just proof that one can tell people when they say Cubs drew well in 80s (outside of using stats)