PDA

View Full Version : Contreras quickens his pace in victory

Nard
05-06-2005, 02:35 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050505&content_id=1039718&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Apparently JC is trying to work more quickly now, too.

First Buerhle, then Jon, now Jose.

I knew our starters were good, but now it looks like they are revolutionizing the art of pitching. :D:

skottyj242
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't go that far.

santo=dorf
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I was saying all off season that Contreras would be much better if he pitched at a faster rate. His best games last year were against the Indians and the Royals because he just got it and threw it.

mccoydp
05-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I was saying all off season that Contreras would be much better if he pitched at a faster rate. His best games last year were against the Indians and the Royals because he just got it and threw it.

Agreed. Jose needs to stop thinking and just pitch.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Joooo-see, Jose, Jose, Joseeeee, Joo-seeee, Joo-o-seeeee! :D:

I think we should recycle that chant and recite it at the end of EVERY SINGLE HALF-INNING in which he holds the opponent scoreless. I think our catchers are helping him immensely. Just pitch Jose, let them think.

mweflen
05-06-2005, 03:08 PM
too bad they didn't hit upon this brilliant plan last friday while i was sitting out there freezing my tookus off in effin' 30 degree weather...

Randar68
05-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Agreed. Jose needs to stop thinking and just pitch.

When he isn't in love with his fork ball and uses/trusts his fastball, even when he pitches slow, he dominates.

Speed of the game helps, but he just has to trust his stuff, stop trying to fart around with his forkball for the first couple pitches every at bat and try to stay ahead in the count as often as possible. Generally, that involves his fastball, which is a damn fine pitch when he decides he wants to use it regularly.

Ol' No. 2
05-06-2005, 03:35 PM
When he isn't in love with his fork ball and uses/trusts his fastball, even when he pitches slow, he dominates.

Speed of the game helps, but he just has to trust his stuff, stop trying to fart around with his forkball for the first couple pitches every at bat and try to stay ahead in the count as often as possible. Generally, that involves his fastball, which is a damn fine pitch when he decides he wants to use it regularly.I think the two are connected. When he's slow it's because he's thinking too much and shaking off the catcher's signs. It could be he's finally developed enough confidence in his catchers.

Don't think. Just throw.

daveeym
05-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Pitching fast has so many more benefits than just what's been mentioned. Keeps the batters from digging in but even more importantly keeps the defense sharp and from getting bored.

MRKARNO
05-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Speed of the game helps, but he just has to trust his stuff, stop trying to fart around with his forkball for the first couple pitches every at bat and try to stay ahead in the count as often as possible. Generally, that involves his fastball, which is a damn fine pitch when he decides he wants to use it regularly.

Good assessment. I've never seen him pitch poorly when he works off of his fastball, but when he starts throwing forkball on the first pitch trying to get the batter to swing, he does poorly. No major league hitter is going to swing at that. He just needs to throw strikes with the fastball (which clocks consistatly at 94-95) and locate well (which he definitely can do, I've seen it) and use the forkball to keep the hitters honest and get his strikeouts. But he should be throwing the fastball the vast majority of the time because it's a great one.

DickAllen72
05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Joooo-see, Jose, Jose, Joseeeee, Joo-seeee, Joo-o-seeeee! :D:

I think we should recycle that chant and recite it at the end of EVERY SINGLE HALF-INNING in which he holds the opponent scoreless.

Great idea. I like it!
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Rocklive99
05-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I noticed, and I loved it. Helped him to throw strikes, get in a groove, and mess with the hitters. Working slow works for some, but it's more enjoyable for me when they work quit, and working slow seems to get some into jams