PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments watching the Sox in opposing parks?

EastCoastSoxFan
05-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm still relatively new around here, so I don't know if this one has been done anytime recently, but I have 2 concerning Big Frank.
One was his major league debut (08/02/1990, a doubleheader in Milwaukee, I'm sure lots of you were there).
Another was the night we lit up the Rocket in NYC in '03. I was sitting in the upper deck behind home plate looking straight down the third base line, so when Frank hit the grand slam off the foul pole I had the best seat in the house. I was able to follow the entire flight of the ball and was up out of my seat waving it fair in Fisk-esque fashion until it hit that foul pole and I went (mildly) ecstatic. By that point we were way ahead anyway, so most of the fans were hardly paying attention...

ZachAL
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
July 4th of 2004 vs. the Scrubs in the Urinal. We were sitting in left field and the sox were getting shutout. Then in the 8th inning (i believe) Carlos Lee bombed a solo shot over the wall to tie up the game. It was nuts. Unfortunately we didnt fare too well that game, though that moment was awesome.

SaltyPretzel
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Mike Caruso's home run at Wrigley to sweep the Cubs.

skottyj242
05-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I think it was two years ago at the Shrine when we exploded for like ten runs in the first inning and I believe that Olivo hit a grand slam.

dickallen15
05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
On my birthday in 2002, Danny Wright twirled a gem, and Jeff Liefer hit one half way up the upper deck in RF, as the Sox crushed the Yankees. On my birthday in 2003, Mark Buerhle twirled a gem, and CLee went deep, and got stuck on the Green Monster as the Sox knocked of Boston.

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I was in Kansas City for Jose Valentin's 3-HR game a few years ago.

SMO
:gulp:

Orta 4-6-3
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I saw Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in Baltimore in 1991.

jcw218
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I think it was two years ago at the Shrine when we exploded for like ten runs in the first inning and I believe that Olivo hit a grand slam.

It was two years ago and it was 6 runs in the first.

here is a link to that games play by play.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/playbyplay/MLB_20030620_CHW@CHC

MUScholar21
05-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Summer of 2000 in the Urinal East, Fenway. Sitting in the middle of all those Red Sawx fans, cheering on the good guys in black, and watching them win. Even the Red Sox fans were giving my buddies and I credit for flying all that way for one game.

Brian26
05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't know why this stands on it my mind, but the Sox were playing the A's in Oakland on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in 1990. This was when the Sox were battling for the division lead...may have even had the lead at this point. The A's had just come back the previous inning, and Dan Pasqua hit a homer the following inning to give the Sox the lead...and they ended up winning the game. The A's were stunned. This may have been the game that caused Dave Stewart to go berzerk with the bulletin board material.

tacosalbarojas
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Probably when I was living in New Jersey in 1994 and went to the Stadium to see the fellas and saw Willy do up the Bronx Bombers. The only time I got to see the great 1994 team play in person. Oh what might have been.

FoulTerritory
05-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Caught two foul balls in one game at the Trop in Tampa, in 2000. Gave the first one to kid next to me. Kept the second.

cleanwsox
05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Caught two foul balls in one game at the Trop in Tampa, in 2000. Gave the first one to kid next to me. Kept the second.

If there is any place you can go and catch two foul balls, it is definitely Tampa Bay :D:

Andy T Clown
05-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I was at Fenway for a White Sox- Bad Sox double header. Morgana jumped the wall and kissed Clemons.:gulp:

Hangar18
05-06-2005, 12:49 PM
2 moments actually. Both at Kauffmann Stadium in KC, July of 2003. Sox are pummelling the Royals and they'd hit something like 8 homeruns, including 3 by Valentin. I was in the LF corner beer stand, and ordering a cold one, when I hear the crowd moan and a small cheer, the guy behind me disgustedly asks
his friend "did they just hit another home-run?" We all turned around to
see Valentins shot sailing over the wall for the homer. I said yes we did, stating the obvious.

The second moment was hilarious. Same game. Were in our seats, and we'd
been getting the business from Royal fans in the rows in front of us, behind us, etc etc all game. Konerko was batting and we were saying he was going deep, just watch, its gonna be a bomb etc. Konerko then hits a towering ball that is carrying , carrying, carrying to LF, the LF jumps up and over the wall and comes down, clutching his glove in the air, and the Crowd went wild, at the great circus "catch" that just happened, falling to the ground. The entire row in front of us and behind us all turned and taunted us and Roared their approval of the catch. I smiled and said to myself, Hey Great Catch. My cousin points to the field and says
WAIT HES NOT SHOWING THE BALL, HES NOT SHOWING THE BALL.
The umpire had been running towards the LF and pointing at his glove,
asking to see the ball. Everyone turns to the field, my Cousin saying
he NEVER caught it, he was faking (had the entire stadium fooled) and
he opened his glove to show.........No Ball. The Umpire made the HR signal, and Konerko started trotting again from 2nd base, and we LAUGHED
right back at the fans as they were quiet. One of the funniest moments
and very cubfan-esque.

Hangar18
05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't know why this stands on it my mind, but the Sox were playing the A's in Oakland on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in 1990. This was when the Sox were battling for the division lead...may have even had the lead at this point. The A's had just come back the previous inning, and Dan Pasqua hit a homer the following inning to give the Sox the lead...and they ended up winning the game. The A's were stunned. This may have been the game that caused Dave Stewart to go berzerk with the bulletin board material.

So you were in Oakland watching this? I was at the Hard Rock Cafe here
downtown Chicago and watched that very moment.

Fredsox
05-06-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't even know what year it was, but the story will date me appropriately. Remember when Carlton Fisk almost decked Neon Dion Sanders at Yankee stadium at home plate for being too cocky and not respecting the game? I was in the lower deck with a friend, that would have to be it for me. It was my only time in Yankee stadium and it was pretty cool to see all that history plus Pudge do his thing at the same time.

Mark
05-06-2005, 02:52 PM
1) Was at Yankee Stadium for Seaver's 300th win (Baines made a fantastic catch in right field slamming against the wall is one detail I clearly remember) in 1985?

2) Was at Fenway for Fisk's return to Boston in a White Sox uniform and enjoyed his game-winning homer over the Monstah (for which he received more than just sparse applause) in 1981.

3) Was at the DH sweep of the Yankees in New York when Georgie fired GM Gene Michaels between games in the 1980s!

I'd like to catch the Sox at Camden Yards some day.

DannyCaterFan
05-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Definately for me it was the 2000 clincher in Minnesota. Although we lost the game, we all had plenty to celebrate that weekend.

wilburaga
05-09-2005, 10:48 AM
1) Was at Yankee Stadium for Seaver's 300th win (Baines made a fantastic catch in right field slamming against the wall is one detail I clearly remember) in 1985?

2) Was at Fenway for Fisk's return to Boston in a White Sox uniform and enjoyed his game-winning homer over the Monstah (for which he received more than just sparse applause) in 1981.

3) Was at the DH sweep of the Yankees in New York when Georgie fired GM Gene Michaels between games in the 1980s!

I'd like to catch the Sox at Camden Yards some day.

I was at Seaver's 300th win also. As I recall it was Phil Rizzuto day, and before the game they presented Scooter with a (holy) cow, which promptly knocked Phil on his butt. Pretty funny.

And yes, Baines' catch was a smashing into the wall game saver.

W

mikehuff
05-09-2005, 11:03 AM
July 17, 1999 in Busch Stadium. I saw James Baldwin hit a triple. I was looking back at retrosheet on this one and the Sox gave up 3 in the bottom of the 8th and lost 8-6. Maggs hit a 2 out grand slam in the 5th.

I remember McGwire striking out and injuring his back in the 1st inning. After that, no one in the satdium except the Sox fans were watching the game until the Cardinals comeback in the 8th.

Another good one was Timo's monster upper deck shot in the Metrodome this year.

MUsoxfan
05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Crumbling Confines in 2003.....5 rows right of the right field foulpole screaming at Sosa because he's a "CHEATER!! HE LIKES TO CHEAT BECAUSE HE'S A CHEATER!". It was like a month after the cork incident and he was still beloved in the eyes of the lemmings. IIRC, Olivo hit a grand slam in the 1st inning and the Sox won that game handily. It was a great day.

The Racehorse
05-09-2005, 12:12 PM
The K.C. game July 2003 that's been mentioned a few times in this thread... everytime I went for another beer, Manos went deep. :gulp:

TDog
05-09-2005, 12:55 PM
For many years, the only Sox games I saw were in Anaheim (before the Angels moved to Los Angeles). All of live Sox memories from 1980 through 1999 come from there. The Sox didn't have problems winning there until later. Two games stand out.

I think it was 1994, the weekend before labor problems shut down baseball. The Sox were getting beat, having given up five runs early. They scratched back to get within two, but in the 9th, things looked grim, with two outs and a man on and Spanky Lavalliere up. He lifted a fly to right that that I followed from my seat down the first-base line. It bounded off the back wall behind the home-run fence to tie the score. In that situation, there was a perfection to it that I will never forget. Jose DeLeon held down the Angels. I think it took the Sox four or five more innings to put up a six-spot -- capped by an Ozzie Guillen triple -- to win the game.

On a Saturday night in 1999, the Sox were playing a dismal game and losing 5-3 when Troy Percival came in to close it out in the 9th. With a man on base, Greg Norton homored to tie the score and the Sox went on to score three more and grab the win.

tacosalbarojas
05-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I was at Seaver's 300th win also. As I recall it was Phil Rizzuto day, and before the game they presented Scooter with a (holy) cow, which promptly knocked Phil on his butt. Pretty funny.

And yes, Baines' catch was a smashing into the wall game saver.

WYou were....??? You never told me that! Awesome. I was watching on TV.

Reid Nichols.

Dan H
05-09-2005, 01:02 PM
August 1993, Jack McDowell winning his 20th game of the season in the Metrodome 1-0. Frank Thomas hit a first inning homer for the only run of the game. McDowell was in trouble all game long with numerous times having a runner on third with less than two outs. Pitched out of everything, and had perfect eighth and ninth innings.

Brian26
05-09-2005, 01:21 PM
So you were in Oakland watching this? I was at the Hard Rock Cafe here
downtown Chicago and watched that very moment.

No, I was in my living room. My bad- I didn't understand the thread meant you actually had to be at the opposing park :D:

wilburaga
05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
You were....??? You never told me that! Awesome. I was watching on TV.

Reid Nichols.

What a great day! Of all my myriad trips to Yankee Stadium this was the one time that a significant portion of the crowd was cheering against the home team. Our boys beat Joe Cowley with the game winning RBI being produced by a brash rookie shortstop named Oswaldo Guillen, just as he had predicted the night before.

And props to you for remembering the the final fly ball was hauled in by Reid Nichols.

W

p.s. Tom Terrific is still active on the baseball scene in NY, doing TV commentary of the Mets games in his affable manner, and apparently not avoiding many banquet spreads. When he talks about his time with the Sox, it is always with genuine affection. The same is true with Kitty Kaat who does TV work for the Yankees.

fox2
05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
I was in Fenway Park when I was in college, I think 1962, with a friend (we were both from Chicago and went to school in the East). The Sox were losing the first game of a double-header 3-2, but had a runner on first with no outs. Luis Aparicio hit a shot down the first base line that bounced off the first baseman's glove and looked like it was going for at least two bases, but the umpire first called it fair, and then couldn't get out of the way. The ball hit the umpire and bounced right back to the first baseman who was able to flip to the pitcher for the out. The crowd just let out a sigh and was pretty quiet when my friend yelled at the top of his lungs "Get outta the way you fat pig!" We were just behind first base so I'm sure the umpire heard it. The Boston fans looked shocked at first, but then everybody laughed. Except Al Lopez, he was going berserk in the Sox dugout.

cbrownson13
05-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I have only seen them in two parks, Wrigley and Fenway.

I was at the game where they just bombed, I believe, Shawn Estes. Olivo hit a grand slam and the bleachers were very tame with the Sox handling the Cubbies.

I was at Fenway last year. I had a great time, unfortunately the Sox lost a good game. There were actually more Sox fans than I thought there would be and I happened to be sitting right next to a couple from Morris.

LVSoxFan
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I was in Detroit last month for a night and day game. The first game they were already up 3-0 by the time I got in the park. They bombed them 9-1; I sat literally up against the Sox dugout, where I always sneak there.

The second day they were blowing the game all the way until the eighth when they miraculously came back after a fluke grounder hit by Konerko took a weird hop. They won the game, which would become one of at least four or five now where I said "They had no business winning that game."

Can't wait to see them in KC.

I want Mags back
05-09-2005, 03:13 PM
We went to Comerica the first year it opened. The game had sucked, down 5-3 or so in the 5th. My brother and I went to go check out the ferris wheel there, and while at the top, my mom down below yelled Jose just homered to take the lead, we ended up winning

WhiteSox16K
05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Lets see...
July 15, 2001 - Brewers 2 Sox 3
July 19, 2002 - Orioles 10 Sox 4
May 14, 2004 - Twins 4 Sox 1
July 16, 2004 - Athletics 5 Sox 1
July 17, 2004 - Athletics 2 Sox 5
August 3, 2004 - Kansas City 4 Sox 12
August 4, 2004 - Kansas City 11 Sox 0

Favorite would have to be the 12-4 winner over KC last year with Contreras making his first start for us. But the next day it was all KC and "Cy" Brian Anderson destroying us and no-hitting everyone except Rowand. Although, Krispy Kremes for an 11-run loss/2 hitter...I guess it wasn't that bad.

Tragg
05-09-2005, 04:26 PM
There haven't been many (I am 0-11 watching the Sox in Seattle) but I saw all three games in our trip to the astrodome; and after getting killed in the first two, we hung on and won game 3 with Billy Bob Simas getting the save. That was in 1998 I think. Later that year, I saw Navarro walk 4 in a row to lose in 10 innings in Seattle (along with 3 other Sox losses) and then, probably being one of the few people aside from the team to do this, saw the Sox in the Cell the very next series when we swept Baltimore, I think.

The good news for the Sox is that the unbalanced schedule and the ways the dates have fallen have made it difficult for me to see the Sox play in Seattle in the last couple of years.

Muopsies
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
I too was at that 11-0 loss, I went the next night too when they lost yet again. I can still see Borchard misplaying a ball in right field in the 2nd Inning that opened the flood gates. That and Joe Buck hitting his first home run with a .150 average.

tacosalbarojas
05-09-2005, 04:38 PM
What a great day! Of all my myriad trips to Yankee Stadium this was the one time that a significant portion of the crowd was cheering against the home team. Our boys beat Joe Cowley with the game winning RBI being produced by a brash rookie shortstop named Oswaldo Guillen, just as he had predicted the night before.

And props to you for remembering the the final fly ball was hauled in by Reid Nichols.

W

p.s. Tom Terrific is still active on the baseball scene in NY, doing TV commentary of the Mets games in his affable manner, and apparently not avoiding many banquet spreads. When he talks about his time with the Sox, it is always with genuine affection. The same is true with Kitty Kaat who does TV work for the Yankees.One of Hawk's best calls ever, imo..."Nichols camps under it...history!"

SpammySosa
05-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I saw Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in Baltimore in 1991.

That was on my 18th birthday. :D: :bandance: :D:

Gil1957
05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I was also at the no hitter in Baltimore and was surprised when the people sitting behind me left in the 8th inning. I asked if they were from L.A.

Also remember seeing Phil Niekro start for Cleveland in Cleveland on the 4th of July (forget the year) and the Sox won 19-0.

wilburaga
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Also remember seeing Phil Niekro start for Cleveland in Cleveland on the 4th of July (forget the year) and the Sox won 19-0.[/QUOTE]

Close enough, it was July 5th, 1987 and the final was 17-0.

Linky:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07050CLE1987.htm

W

wassagstdu
05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Plus:
Late '60s some time, at Fenway. Wild throw over the (White) Sox' first baseman's head, heading for the dugout, when suddenly out of nowhere --- actually out of right field -- comes Walt ("No Neck") Williams who dives horizontally and stops it at the dugout steps. He was the kind of player it is an honor to watch.

Minus:
Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, don't remember the year. Sox are winning big and for some reason Tony LaRussa decides to show off his brilliance by running the entire pitching staff. Gets to the "closer" (with a 7-run lead, no less), who is promptly hit in the knee with a line drive. Only one pitcher left in the bullpen, with an ERA of 46 or so. Sox blow the 7-run lead in the ninth and lose on a 320-foot "monster" HR by Fred Lynn. Tell me what a great manager LaRussa was.