PDA

View Full Version : Could the Twins Help our Postseason Chances?

Jurr
05-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I was thinking about the 2000 season, and how the Sox hopped and skipped their way into the playoffs. There was no intensity in that squad for the last month and a half, because of the huge distance between them and second place. That ended up really hurting the team when the Mariners (who had to fight their way into the playoffs) came to town. The Sox hadn't played a meaningful game in many weeks, and they weren't up to the task.

Wild card teams have been winning WS titles left and right, and I attribute this to the fact that they've been winning in pressure situations just to get into the "dance". The Sox need this type of pennant chase to help them stay focused and sharp for the playoffs.

Enter the Twins.

I think that Minnesota, with the way they're playing, will be in the race for the Central all year long. Games in August and September between these two teams will be very hotly contested and will provide a playoff atmosphere. I think this is exactly what the Sox need if they're going to have any kind of success (qualified with a big IF) in the playoffs.

Dan H
05-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Jurr, I agree. The Sox also waltzed in 1983 and look what happened against Baltimore. The 1993 race didn't turn out too close, but at least the Sox knew someone was chasing them. They almost came back to win that playoff series against Toronto. I'd like the Twins to stay close, and the Sox clinch things by beating them face to face.

elrod
05-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, that used to be the problem of the Indians. They'd romp through the season, having the division locked up by July, and then when they hit October they would be stale. Another constant example is the Braves. On the other hand, the Yankees have wrapped up some early division titles on their way to a WS title as well.

Rocklive99
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
It's not always true, the Cards completely ran away with it last year, including homefield, and got to the World Series

elrod
05-06-2005, 10:33 AM
It's not always true, the Cards completely ran away with it last year, including homefield, and got to the World Series

And what happened in the World Series? They laid an egg. They simply did not compete after the first game.

05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Very Good observation...I don't know if my heart can take it...I would like nothing more then a 5 game lead so come Sept we know we are not out of the woods yet, then if we clinch with 1 week left, we can give our rotation a must needed break and not lose any fight.

mccoydp
05-06-2005, 11:05 AM
This season looks like it could be as good as what we were expecting out of the 1994 season, with the Sox and Indians duking it out...but we all know about what put the kaboosh on that season...

BaseballTonyght
05-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm not comfortable discussing the post-season until after the break, at the very earliest. Bite your tongue.

Rocklive99
05-06-2005, 11:14 AM
And what happened in the World Series? They laid an egg. They simply did not compete after the first game.

Yes (outplayed), but with this theory they'd be out after the first round. After playing meaningless games for over half the season, they beat the Astros (wildcard), one of the hottest teams who was playing like the original post talked about, and that was after making the Dodgers look silly.

Also, the Red Sox were the Wildcard and IIRC, they were almost down to Ana and were down 3-0 to the Yankees and just turned it on out of nowhere

Momentum always helps, but I think good pitching can overtake it. The Twins scare me way too much to just have them hanging around for competition

soxtalker
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
It is a bit early to be discussing post season. Things could turn around in a hurry for any number of reasons.

Having said that, I do think that it would be better to play under the pressure of a battle for the division. It would be more fun to run away with things, but it is just different playing under pressure.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I was thinking about the 2000 season, and how the Sox hopped and skipped their way into the playoffs. There was no intensity in that squad for the last month and a half, because of the huge distance between them and second place. That ended up really hurting the team when the Mariners (who had to fight their way into the playoffs) came to town. The Sox hadn't played a meaningful game in many weeks, and they weren't up to the task.......

I've had the same thought numerous times this season. I agree, but Jerry Manual was also part of that lack of intensity as well. Ozzie "Osborne" Guillen will not allow that to happen. He'll keep the White Sox-Crazy-Train's intensity at FULL power in October. TOOT-TOOT.

Malgar 12
05-06-2005, 02:42 PM

You really think that was because they had wrapped up their division early? Come on! For your thesis to hold any water they wouldn't have even made it that far. They beat Houston in tight pressure filled situation. Boston won for two reasons: 1. They were on an unbelievable roll. 2. They were the better team.

Let worry about the playoffs after the Sox actually qualify.

MRKARNO
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
The 2000 White Sox were 51-29 on July 1 and went 44-38 from then on. They got out to a very good start and then sorta coasted. Hopefully if this team does end up doing well, they dont do that.

Tragg
05-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Jurr, I agree. The Sox also waltzed in 1983 and look what happened against Baltimore. The 1993 race didn't turn out too close, but at least the Sox knew someone was chasing them. They almost came back to win that playoff series against Toronto.

We were MUCH closer to winning the series with Baltimore than we were with Toronto. In fact, we were one run away in regulation from sending that series to a 5th game, with an unbeatable Lamarr Hoyt on the mound. We lost game 4 in extras. Win it, and I'd like our chances a lot with Hoyt.

And Baltimore won the WS with their eyes closed. They toyed with the Phillies. They were an excellent team. Baltimore had just about the same regular season record as we did, that playoff series was a lot closer than conventional wisdom suggests and both the Sox and Orioles were far and away the 2 best teams in baseball that year.

All said, I'd like to win it easily. Gives time to rest players and get ready for playoff baseball.

I'd have to say, that the wildcard is as likely to come out of the central as it is out of any other division, the way things look now.

Dan H
05-07-2005, 07:04 AM
We were MUCH closer to winning the series with Baltimore than we were with Toronto. In fact, we were one run away in regulation from sending that series to a 5th game, with an unbeatable Lamarr Hoyt on the mound. We lost game 4 in extras. Win it, and I'd like our chances a lot with Hoyt.

And Baltimore won the WS with their eyes closed. They toyed with the Phillies. They were an excellent team. Baltimore had just about the same regular season record as we did, that playoff series was a lot closer than conventional wisdom suggests and both the Sox and Orioles were far and away the 2 best teams in baseball that year.

All said, I'd like to win it easily. Gives time to rest players and get ready for playoff baseball.

I'd have to say, that the wildcard is as likely to come out of the central as it is out of any other division, the way things look now.

The Sox were not close to beating Baltimore. They scored three runs in four games and were outscored 18-1 in the last three games. Luzinski hit mammoth home runs during the regular season and couldn't put the ball in fair territory in five plate appearances in game four. I agree, Hoyt probably would have won game five. Problem was, there was no game five. The 1983 playoffs were awful. The Sox looked dreadful and were outplayed in every aspect of the game. Amazing considering that they were 44-15 during the months of August and September. Let's just hope if they make the playoffs this year, that they can at least win one game at home and look like a real World Series contender. A repeat of 1983 would be a recurring nightmare.