PDA

View Full Version : Defense.Defense, Defense

bigredrudy
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I have seen every game and I think a very strong defense has helped the pitching staff compile the record it has. I don't want anything to interfere with that defense. For that reason I do not want Thomas playing first base and I don't want Everett playing in the outfield. It is well established that Thomas cannot throw and has absolutely no range at first base. Everett can't run anymore and has a difficult time getting a jump on fly balls. I would leave the team the way it is. It is difficult for me to believe that Dye or Konerko are through as players. They may not have great seasons but they are better than the alternative. One of the things to consider is that we have Dye locked up for 3 years and Podsednik for 4 years.Everett and Thomas might both be gone after this year. So Everett and Thomas should compete to be the DH. I think that is what Ozzie will decide. And who should win? Most of you will say Thomas with his power and his high OBP percentage. But I am not so sure. Thomas is slow and a very poor station to station baserunner. All too often he would rather take a walk in game situations where it takes a hit to win the game. And he hits righthanded. With Thomas in there the team resembles last year's team-slow and all righthanded. Everett gives the Sox some lefthanded power and is an aggressive baserunner. He is a much better hitter lefthanded but that is what the Sox seem to need. On the other hand he swings at most everything and certainly does not get on base as much as Thomas. If the Sox had a strong lefthanded hitter somewhere else in the lineup, the obvious choice would be Thomas but they don't. I just don't know but the one thing I am sure of is that I do not want either Frank or Carl playing in the field.

MIgrenade
05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree, this team needs to have defense to keep runs down because we aren't going to score many whether Thomas or Everett is batting. Meanwhile, Thomas hasn't played yet this year and I'm not willing to just pull Carl until Thomas proves himself in a few spot starts. Don't bother with Carl in RF, he won't be able to make up with the bat the runs he might cost in the field.

Jurr
05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Carl Everett and Frank Thomas at RF/DH would be a very nice boost for the offense. Let Dye be a part time player. You hate to say that with his salary, but oh well.

mantis1212
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Have you seen Dye out there with his so-called superior defense? From what I've seen, he's a butcher this year. If Everett can hit the cut-off man, he's already got a leg-up.

soxtalker
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Didn't Ozzie make some comment a few weeks ago about having Thomas play 1B while he was in the minors in order to prepare him for the games against the National League teams? Ozzie seems to be shuffling most of the players into the lineup on a regular basis, and I suspect that he'll do that with Frank. Notice how they got Burke prepared to play other positions during his stint in the minors. Sounds like they may be doing the same thing with Frank.

ChiSoxBobette
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I have seen every game and I think a very strong defense has helped the pitching staff compile the record it has. I don't want anything to interfere with that defense. For that reason I do not want Thomas playing first base and I don't want Everett playing in the outfield. It is well established that Thomas cannot throw and has absolutely no range at first base. Everett can't run anymore and has a difficult time getting a jump on fly balls. I would leave the team the way it is. It is difficult for me to believe that Dye or Konerko are through as players. They may not have great seasons but they are better than the alternative. One of the things to consider is that we have Dye locked up for 3 years and Podsednik for 4 years.Everett and Thomas might both be gone after this year. So Everett and Thomas should compete to be the DH. I think that is what Ozzie will decide. And who should win? Most of you will say Thomas with his power and his high OBP percentage. But I am not so sure. Thomas is slow and a very poor station to station baserunner. All too often he would rather take a walk in game situations where it takes a hit to win the game. And he hits righthanded. With Thomas in there the team resembles last year's team-slow and all righthanded. Everett gives the Sox some lefthanded power and is an aggressive baserunner. He is a much better hitter lefthanded but that is what the Sox seem to need. On the other hand he swings at most everything and certainly does not get on base as much as Thomas. If the Sox had a strong lefthanded hitter somewhere else in the lineup, the obvious choice would be Thomas but they don't. I just don't know but the one thing I am sure of is that I do not want either Frank or Carl playing in the field.

There should be no arguments about what Ozzie should do when Frank comes back, Carl is a much better lefthanded hitter so he'd DH vs righthanded pitchers and Big Frank would DH vs lefthanded pitchers enough said.

Uncle_Patrick
05-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't see him getting a ton of playing time there once he's back with the club. That being said, I don't have a problem with Frank being prepared to play first base. We might need him in an emergency.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-06-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't see him getting a ton of playing time there once he's back with the club. That being said, I don't have a problem with Frank being prepared to play first base. We might need him in an emergency.

I wouldn't want to take the injury risk. Frank has had a serious injury or two already due to playing in the field. He's no spring chicken either, keep him at DH.