PDA

View Full Version : Beware of BBTN Bearing Gifts

owensmouth
05-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Last night BBTN led off their program by espousing the White Sox. Each one of the speakers was ebulant in their praise of 1) the pitching staff 2) Kenny Williams 3) the team attitude.

Earlier Mike and Mike in the Morning described "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The Bad was the Yankees. The Good was our White Sox. They never explained who the Ugly was.

This morning the Tribune talked about how the Sox are a virtual lock on a 90 plus season and a postseason appearance.

Uhhh folks, we've only played 28 games. Nothing is of less value than being in first place in the first week of May.

I know that you can hand me statistics that say that if you lead after April you have XX% of winning. I know we can go just over 50% and end up with 90 victories.

I also know that the Twins are one long series sweep behind us.

Remember, these are the Chicago White Sox. In the 55 years or so that I've been following the Sox, I don't know how many times they have been in first place later in the season than we are now. I do know that they have made it into the World Series once.

This is Chicago we're talking about. The land of missed opportunities baseball-wise.

Soon, everybody will get on the bandwagon. The expectations will rise. National media will beat a path to the south side. Players will get interviewed. Players will get endorsements. Players will expect to win...and then they won't.

Don't believe me? Check our history. Hell, you can include the notable north side flops too.

We are much better off being overlooked.

pmck003
05-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Your post may make sense, but there is nothing wrong with being a realist as long as you realize that winning is real too.

MUsoxfan
05-06-2005, 04:14 AM
While they are not at all a "lock" for the playoffs, they certainly are making a good case. Today proved to me that they will do whatever necessary to pull out a win.

fquaye149
05-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Nothing's a lock. You're 110% correct and I wish these "experts" would get the **** off our bandwagon (yes, I want my cake and eat it too).

But said all that, I think what we're doing is still very real and I would rather be in this position than not. We have a little bit of breathing room for once, and hopefully we'll have some more soon.

Nicer than looking up at the Twinkies, ain't it?

NSSoxFan
05-06-2005, 05:22 AM
Please change the name of your post. :rolleyes:

Fredsox
05-06-2005, 06:29 AM

Yeah, unless you're from Troy you have nothing to fear from us.

To the point of this thread, even that putz Dayn Perry of Fox seems to be grudgingly acknowedging our success. He still feels compelled to point out any possible flaws, but he has anointed us "for real".

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3594830

Partial post:
The upshot of all this is that the Sox are playing over their heads at this point, but even after accounting for expected declines and regressions, this team figures to be for real. Chicago can play substantially worse the rest of the way and still wind up a with a 95-win team. All this means is that the White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590) are very much to be taken seriously.

hose
05-06-2005, 07:13 AM

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Last night BBTN led off their program by espousing the White Sox. Each one of the speakers was ebulant in their praise of 1) the pitching staff 2) Kenny Williams 3) the team attitude....

I saw the same thing, one correction - OF COURSE, the Yankees were the lead story. (On a side note, I freakin' LOVE this Yankess thing - couldn't happen to a better team). I am 100% agreement with you - my problem with this is, I said similar things 2 weeks ago and was "cliched" to death. Maybe I should have waited for the Jedi Council known as BBTN to allow me to speak cautiously.

Also - Gammons almost choked on his extra saliva giving props to the White Sox - he had to mention "they're still in the bottom 3rd of baseball for offense". Last time I checked, 21-7 leads the majors, right?

Realist
05-06-2005, 08:02 AM
...there is nothing wrong with being a realist...

:bandance:

You heard it here, folks.

The Racehorse
05-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts [?]

Is that the same as beware of folks from Guinea-Bissau bearing gifts? :rolleyes:

Iguana775
05-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I saw the same thing, one correction - OF COURSE, the Yankees were the lead story. (On a side note, I freakin' LOVE this Yankess thing - couldn't happen to a better team). I am 100% agreement with you - my problem with this is, I said similar things 2 weeks ago and was "cliched" to death. Maybe I should have waited for the Jedi Council known as BBTN to allow me to speak cautiously.

Also - Gammons almost choked on his extra saliva giving props to the White Sox - he had to mention "they're still in the bottom 3rd of baseball for offense". Last time I checked, 21-7 leads the majors, right?

:tealpolice:

elrod
05-06-2005, 08:33 AM
While I think caution is always warranted, I disagree with the overall premise of this post. Face it, if the White Sox keep winning, they will get media attention. And lots of it. The team will have to learn to deal with it. Frankly, I think the players on this team will handle it great. I'm not sure what Ozzie will do or say with all the media attention, but it doesn't look like the team will collapse under a bunch of media pressure. Just keep winning and we'll deal with what comes.

ondafarm
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
As for media attention and its correlation with success for a ballplayer, I'd have to say it's virtually zero.

My rookie season, I think my team was written up twice in the local newspaper (both negative articles about me, a white guy, playing in an all-Japanese league.) We were televised twice and if I hadn't run into the flagpole in center field, we would never have had a highlight on the league's intro film. I hit .242.
We won the championship.

My second year, we had a reporter follow us the entire season, fawning all over us, quizzing the manager about roster moves, etc.
I hit .245.
We finished third.

My third year, our opening day was on national TV and we had multiple reporters cover us. Our home games were almost all broadcast on local TV. I hit .246 before blowing my knee out in the 20th game of the season.
We didn't make the playoffs (2nd in our division.)

Bottom line, media means nothing to most players, a few guys go for the glamour stuff, but it gets old, fast.

HebrewHammer
05-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I saw BBTN last night and the whole time I was thinking that the MediaTrolls there were trying to put some sort of whammy on us. As if the more praise they heaped on our club, the faster they'd fail. It was like someone switched the notes before the show and instead of the Red Sox they discussed the White Sox. It was bizarre.

Everyone of those guys had ripped the Sox as recently as last week when they struggled against the A's and now they expect us to buy into them liking the White Sox all of a sudden? I'd rather John Kruk keep naysaying, it makes his comments all the more funny. If only Steve Phillips, Jeff Brantley and Larry Bowa were there, as soon as those MediaTrolls start praising the Sox I'll worry.

fledgedrallycap
05-06-2005, 09:27 AM
That's an upbeat post to start off my Friday morning....

PaleHosed
05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Right now the Sox are on pace to win 122 games. Althought that would rock, I doubt it will happen. On the otherhand...

For the Sox to finish with 90 wins this season, which since the introduction of the wild card has pretty much made you a shoe in for the playoffs, they only need to play at .514 clip for the rest of the year. That is very doable, and I believe very likely.

Here's some more...

Play at a .590 clip to win 100 games
Play at a .634 clip to win 106 games (ties record w/ Seattle and 1906 Cubs)

If we play .500 ball for the rest of season, which I'm pretty confident we'll do better than that, we still finish with 88 wins and a good chance at a playoff berth.

This is why I am already fully on the bandwagon, and am beginning to feel that anybody who is not is more pessimistic than I care to know about.

A. Cavatica
05-06-2005, 09:32 AM
As for media attention and its correlation with success for a ballplayer, I'd have to say it's virtually zero.

My rookie season, I think my team was written up twice in the local newspaper (both negative articles about me, a white guy, playing in an all-Japanese league.) We were televised twice and if I hadn't run into the flagpole in center field, we would never have had a highlight on the league's intro film. I hit .242.
We won the championship.

My second year, we had a reporter follow us the entire season, fawning all over us, quizzing the manager about roster moves, etc.
I hit .245.
We finished third.

My third year, our opening day was on national TV and we had multiple reporters cover us. Our home games were almost all broadcast on local TV. I hit .246 before blowing my knee out in the 20th game of the season.
We didn't make the playoffs (2nd in our division.)

Bottom line, media means nothing to most players, a few guys go for the glamour stuff, but it gets old, fast.

Well, at least you improved from year to year! :D:

harwar
05-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I saw BBTN last night and the whole time I was thinking that the MediaTrolls there were trying to put some sort of whammy on us. As if the more praise they heaped on our club, the faster they'd fail. It was like someone switched the notes before the show and instead of the Red Sox they discussed the White Sox. It was bizarre.

Everyone of those guys had ripped the Sox as recently as last week when they struggled against the A's and now they expect us to buy into them liking the White Sox all of a sudden? I'd rather John Kruk keep naysaying, it makes his comments all the more funny. If only Steve Phillips, Jeff Brantley and Larry Bowa were there, as soon as those MediaTrolls start praising the Sox I'll worry.

Yea,something very weird is going on over there.
Last week the White Sox were a team of bumbling fools who were just winning lucky,a few days later they gave us the silent treatment,then last night all of a sudden they are talking about us like we're the red sox.
I guess the leader of the boys from bristol just had to swallow hard and hand out a decree to his minions to go ahead and cover that nasty White Sox team as if they are a legitimate contender.
Whatever the case,i like it.
Between the positive coverage on tv and all the White Sox talk on the radio i was almost giddy.

Ol' No. 2
05-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Repeat after me:

:KW We...don't...care.

house215
05-06-2005, 10:31 AM
This is Chicago we're talking about. The land of missed opportunities baseball-wise.

If we go by that logic Boston would have never won the WS last year.

Jurr
05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah...when there becomes more and more media members covering the team, it becomes a little overbearing for a team when it begins to struggle. Every piece of the team that isn't performing begins to be questioned, and it becomes a rat race.

Let's hope the players know how to deal with the pressure that the media will undoubtedly generate.

Johnny Mostil
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Play at a .634 clip to win 106 games (ties record w/ Seattle and 1906 Cubs)

.634 for season remainder will indeed result in 106 wins, but no records. M's in 2001 and Cubs in 1906 won 116 (and neither, of course, won the Series . . . )

owensmouth
05-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh, just to show I can play it the other way: In 1959 the Yankees were expected to win another American League Championship and play the Milwaukee Braves again in the World Series.

The Yankees started out poorly, never were much of a factor, and watched the White Sox win the behind good pitching, defense, and timely hitting.

Sound familiar?

mweflen
05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Let's say we play .600 ball the rest of the way within the division, and .500 ball outside the division. These are very realistic projections, IMHO, based both on our past and on the competition.

Which, at 21-7 right now, equals out to:

29-20 inside the div.
43-42 outside the div.

For a total of 93-69.

Ought to be enough!

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Done...

surfdudes
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Last night BBTN led off their program by espousing the White Sox. Each one of the speakers was ebulant in their praise of 1) the pitching staff 2) Kenny Williams 3) the team attitude.

Earlier Mike and Mike in the Morning described "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly". The Bad was the Yankees. The Good was our White Sox. They never explained who the Ugly was.

This morning the Tribune talked about how the Sox are a virtual lock on a 90 plus season and a postseason appearance.

Uhhh folks, we've only played 28 games. Nothing is of less value than being in first place in the first week of May.

I know that you can hand me statistics that say that if you lead after April you have XX% of winning. I know we can go just over 50% and end up with 90 victories.

Remember, these are the Chicago White Sox. In the 55 years or so that I've been following the Sox, I don't know how many times they have been in first place later in the season than we are now. I do know that they have made it into the World Series once.

Soon, everybody will get on the bandwagon. The expectations will rise. National media will beat a path to the south side. Players will get interviewed. Players will get endorsements. Players will expect to win...and then they won't.

Don't believe me? Check our history. Hell, you can include the notable north side flops too.

We are much better off being overlooked.

I agree that we might need to temper our kool-ade intake until later on down the road, but I refuse not to completely enjoy this run, as long as it lasts. Nothing of less value than being in first place first week of May? Ask the Royals that question.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2005, 12:25 PM
This will be an interesting road trip. Toronto is playing well behind surprisingly good starting pitching and anything can happen in the House Of Horrors known as The ThunderDome or whatever Tampa is calling their stadium these days.

Plus it's six game on Astro Turf.

We'll see.

Lip

DSpivack
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
So, they do have to play the rest of the season.

Darn it.

South Side
05-06-2005, 06:58 PM
This will be an interesting road trip. Toronto is playing well behind surprisingly good starting pitching and anything can happen in the House Of Horrors known as The ThunderDome or whatever Tampa is calling their stadium these days.

We'll see.

Lip

We did ok on turf in Minny.

munchman33
05-06-2005, 07:06 PM

We'll see.

Lip

Have you seen the matchups for the Toronto series? I wouldn't taken Toronto in any of those games.

swanson24
05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful to OwensMouth but "Way to enjoy the party!" You made some good points about putting this in perspective and you are right but what is wrong with enjoying the moment and at this moment the Sox are playing great!

owensmouth
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful to OwensMouth but "Way to enjoy the party!" You made some good points about putting this in perspective and you are right but what is wrong with enjoying the moment and at this moment the Sox are playing great!Absolutely nothing.

bayzbol44
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Everyone should enjoy the moment. We are WINNING!!! IF the Sox had only 7 wins, would people be saying that it was only May and we have plenty of time to get back in it??? I doubt it. People would be asking to put KW's head in a pinata so everyone can take turns. We will be the first team to 30 wins and we will playing in October. Sure it is early, however, I always want to think I will be watching the Sox in October. The one thing the Red Sox team and fans taught me last year was...believe! Anything can happen.

socko82
05-08-2005, 08:36 AM
It was Harold Reynolds turn last night. Once again he was giving his backhanded compliment to Garland that "he's doing great because he gets to match up against other teams #5 starters and minor leaguers" He doesn't seem to realize most teams will skip the #5 spot whenever possible and #5's rarely go against #5's. Anyway, some of the pitchers he beaten this year: Brad Radke, Barry Zito and Ted Lilly that's 3 recent all-stars. Also Joel Pineiro and Wilson Ledezma twice. How is it Reynolds kept his job and Dibble got let go?

Ol' No. 2
05-08-2005, 10:27 AM
It was Harold Reynolds turn last night. Once again he was giving his backhanded compliment to Garland that "he's doing great because he gets to match up against other teams #5 starters and minor leaguers" He doesn't seem to realize most teams will skip the #5 spot whenever possible and #5's rarely go against #5's. Anyway, some of the pitchers he beaten this year: Brad Radke, Barry Zito and Ted Lilly that's 3 recent all-stars. Also Joel Pineiro and Wilson Ledezma twice. How is it Reynolds kept his job and Dibble got let go?He started out great, pointing out that Ozzie's fluency in Spanish is helping with the Spanish-speakin players. He also gave props to Kenny Williams. If he'd just shut up at that point, he would have been fine.

But noooooooooooooooo. He had to try to "analyze" why Jon Garland is 6-0. Silly me. I thought it was because he was 1st in the league is most pitching statistics. I thought the two consecutive 4-hit GC shutouts might have had something to do with it. But Harold insists it's because he's facing minor-league callups and weak opposing pitching.:?:

zach074
05-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Does this mean were not under the radar anymore?:(:

kevingrt
05-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Everyone should enjoy the moment. We are WINNING!!! IF the Sox had only 7 wins, would people be saying that it was only May and we have plenty of time to get back in it??? I doubt it. People would be asking to put KW's head in a pinata so everyone can take turns. We will be the first team to 30 wins and we will playing in October. Sure it is early, however, I always want to think I will be watching the Sox in October. The one thing the Red Sox team and fans taught me last year was...believe! Anything can happen.

So true lets leave the complaining till we go on a mini losing streak and over half the fans jump over board. For now, I will soak up all the media praise and wins that just light up the scoreboard. This has been a storybook season so far, and there is nothing ominous on the horizon.

White Sox Josh
05-08-2005, 11:37 AM

We are much better off being overlooked.If the Sox just play .500 ball which they probably will at the very least than they will win around 90 games.