PDA

View Full Version : What I love about the 2005 White Sox

tacosalbarojas
05-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Excuse me if you will for a minute, because this post has been coming for a while. This has been in many ways the most enjoyable baseball April of my life, and let me count the ways it has been so enjoyable as I recount the things I love about the 2005 White Sox...

I love that we've had a lead in all 28 games this year. However arcane this record may seem, it is still an all-time record and something I want to see us keep going as long as possible.

I love when Carl Everett genuflects his way around second base, and then around third after a home run....

I love the way the SOX starting pitching refuses to give me less than six innings and more than three runs a game.

I love Mark Buehrle's 2:23 minute average ballgame.

I love the feeling in the opposing pitcher's and catcher's gut whenever Scotty Pods gets on first and gets us a go. A feeling we haven't seen on the South Side since Rudy Law ran the basepaths to 77 steals in 1983.

I love that I don't have to listen to Jon Garland make excuses to the media after another mediocre outing. Growing up, son.

I love that we have four options to close games and can't wait for a dynamic duo of Hermanson and Shingo to be joined by Damaso against lefties when crunch time comes around this year to form a Nasty Boysesque nucleus down in the left field corner pen.

I love Chris Widger just because he survived a year in the ghettos of Camden NJ and bad old men's softball leagues to get back to the bigs.

I just luuv seeing ground balls hit to short and not having to keep my fingers crossed that the ball is going to wind up in the first base stands (sorry Jose).

I love that we're 21-7 and the best hitter in franchise history hasn't set foot on the field in one of those 28 games.

I love that we've won 21 of 28 and that even if we go .500 the rest of the way, we're stll going to win 90 games.

Most of all though, I really just love the greater sense of anticipation and hope that surrounds watching a team playing winning baseball. How everyday you can't wait for game time for those three hours when the focus on getting another win and keeping the magic alive. Too many generations have gone passed without seeing a great October run - please God let this be the year is all I ask.

robiwho
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
AMEN to that!

This has been the best April of my 37 years!

Go Sox!

soxfan123
05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Good points...all very true..Here's what I love...

The fact that we don't need Frank at this point.
The fact that we have one of the worst hitting teams and baseball and are in first place.
The fact that ESPN is trying to forget about thier preseason predictions...hehe
That the White Sox faithful are given something to argue that no one can deny: winning baseball.

Bring on May! I cannot wait for the Sox-Cubs series at the end of this month, it will be great.

And now, the banana...:bandance:

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Too many generations have gone passed without seeing a great October run - please God let this be the year is all I ask.

Oookay?! All these other teams get to have their little magical runs that end like a fairy tale--the 69 Mets, the 03 Marlins to name a few. Why the hell can't we for ONCE?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I love that a team with so many new parts can immediately gel. I'm still stunned by that. Kenny assembled a great group of guys and Ozzie is doing his part. Ozzie must actually TALK to his players (fyi: JerryM).

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
to finish off your topic... Why I love the 2005 White Sox... because they WIN!

chisoxfanatic
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
I love that a team with so many new parts can immediately gel. I'm still stunned by that. Kenny assembled a great group of guys and Ozzie is doing his part. Ozzie must actually TALK to his players (fyi: JerryM).

Funny thing, lots of the people at MLB.com think the whole situation with Maggs was OZZIE'S fault...I think Ozzie is the type of manager the Sox NEED, they RESPECT him, and he always DEFENDS them!

MIgrenade
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Oookay?! All these other teams get to have their little magical runs that end like a fairy tale--the 69 Mets, the 03 Marlins to name a few. Why the hell can't we for ONCE?

Isn't that amazing? Seems like most teams catch a hot streak into the series at some point. In the last 86 years you'd figure a dumb luck championship.

elrod
05-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I love this:
We are 4-3 in games that we score 2 runs or less. In 2002-2004, we were 3-87 in games we scored 2 runs or less. We know how to win pitchers' duels now.

DaleJRFan
05-05-2005, 11:46 PM
If it hasn't already been said...

:threadrules:

rwcescato
05-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Excuse me if you will for a minute, because this post has been coming for a while. This has been in many ways the most enjoyable baseball April of my life, and let me count the ways it has been so enjoyable as I recount the things I love about the 2005 White Sox...

I love that we've had a lead in all 28 games this year. However arcane this record may seem, it is still an all-time record and something I want to see us keep going as long as possible.

I love when Carl Everett genuflects his way around second base, and then around third after a home run....

I love the way the SOX starting pitching refuses to give me less than six innings and more than three runs a game.

I love Mark Buehrle's 2:23 minute average ballgame.

I love the feeling in the opposing pitcher's and catcher's gut whenever Scotty Pods gets on first and gets us a go. A feeling we haven't seen on the South Side since Rudy Law ran the basepaths to 77 steals in 1983.

I love that I don't have to listen to Jon Garland make excuses to the media after another mediocre outing. Growing up, son.

I love that we have four options to close games and can't wait for a dynamic duo of Hermanson and Shingo to be joined by Damaso against lefties when crunch time comes around this year to form a Nasty Boysesque nucleus down in the left field corner pen.

I love Chris Widger just because he survived a year in the ghettos of Camden NJ and bad old men's softball leagues to get back to the bigs.

I just luuv seeing ground balls hit to short and not having to keep my fingers crossed that the ball is going to wind up in the first base stands (sorry Jose).

I love that we're 21-7 and the best hitter in franchise history hasn't set foot on the field in one of those 28 games.

I love that we've won 21 of 28 and that even if we go .500 the rest of the way, we're stll going to win 90 games.

Most of all though, I really just love the greater sense of anticipation and hope that surrounds watching a team playing winning baseball. How everyday you can't wait for game time for those three hours when the focus on getting another win and keeping the magic alive. Too many generations have gone passed without seeing a great October run - please God let this be the year is all I ask.

Well said. Its been 40 summers for me and I only hope that this could finally be our magical year.
GGGOOO SSSOOXX!!!
Rich:supernana:

SoxFan76
05-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Man, I know I've had a few, but I just thought about what I would do if the Sox won the WS. I would cry. I would cry like a little baby. Oh my God, I just can't imagine.

pmck003
05-06-2005, 03:00 AM
I love that the friends I grew up with in minnesota won't answer my phone calls.

MHOUSE
05-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I love that we're playing WINning baseball and that we're making those ESPN "geniuses" eat their words about Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit, Boston, and New York. It's early May and the biggest offseason moves were by the under the radar ChiSox and not the Randy Johnson trade or Beltre, Glaus, Sexson, etc. free agent signings. I just can't get over how solid our starting pitching has been. I expect Buehrle and Garcia to stay strong, I hope Garland has finally turned the corner for real, and that our Cubans can continue pitching well, keeping us in games, and stay healthy. We're on a roll and I don't see how we can get worse by adding Frank and keeping the momentum going.

Wsoxmike59
05-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Great job on the post tacosalbarojas. Yes it's been a fun ride ever since Opening Day. You could sense that there was a different attitude on this club, than in years past.

I llllluuuuuvvvvvvv Ozzie Ball. :bandance:

SSN721
05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
I love this team, period, it is going to be a special year. :D: :bandance:

tacosalbarojas
05-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I love that the friends I grew up with in minnesota won't answer my phone calls.This is the response I've been waiting for! I hate Minnesota and I sure as heck hate that new "I live for this" commercial starting T***i.

tacosalbarojas
05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I love this:
We are 4-3 in games that we score 2 runs or less. In 2002-2004, we were 3-87 in games we scored 2 runs or less. We know how to win pitchers' duels now.And 12-3 in one run games. How could I have left that out?

SoxFan78
05-06-2005, 09:09 AM
I love how our #5 pitcher has more wins then all of the #5 pitchers from last year.

I love how people gave me crap about buying season tickets after all the moves Kenny made (losing Maggs, CLee) before the season!!

daveeym
05-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I love that the friends I grew up with in minnesota won't answer my phone calls. POTW material right there folks. :D:

skottyj242
05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I love the fact that we don't care.

logansquaresox
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
You've all made me all teary-eyed now.

I love the fact that my personal trifecta (Sox win, Twins lose, Yankees lose) has happened SEVEN times this year so far. :D:

Also, does anyone else take the perverse pleasure of reading "Bat-girl" when the Twins lose? Oh, man, there's nothing better. The wringing of hands is just priceless.

surfdudes
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
.....Loving when P Osuna or Widger or whoever comes through with the big hit, exactly at the moment it's needed.....
....Love the fact that AJ so far is proving all his critics wrong by being a gamer, and working well with the pitchers.
........ Really loving the fact that when a Cub fan sees me with my Sox hat on, they can only shut up and grimace!

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I love that the friends I grew up with in minnesota won't answer my phone calls.

Someone else noted it and I agree...

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=2815)

hdog1017
05-06-2005, 11:37 AM
To quote Ozzie, winning is fung, and fung is winning. This has been the funnest April/Early May in my life.

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I luv these Sox because:

- they are exceeding everyone's most optimistic expectations;
- they are pissing off the rest of the baseball world;
- we get to watch the best Sox rotation in a long time;
- a call to the bullpen is no longer a trigger for intense stomach pains;
- every player is doing his part for the TEAM;
- Podsednik runs like a gazelle;
- Uribe throws like a cannon;
- the starting rotation are a bunch of scary pitching machines;
- Crazy Carl's lifelong battle with dinosaurs continues unabated;
- 28 straight games with a lead. No other team in the history of baseball has done this;
- the Sox are winning games they should lose and creating their own good fortune;

and best of all:
- more bananas than ever! :bandance:

ChicagoHoosier
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I love that this team is NEVER out of the game. They keep scoring a run or two when it's needed. Sure, we can't win every game, like Friday night last week vs. DET. But consistently we are pulling it out if we get down or clamping down when we get the lead.

Best example is a game up in Minny where we looked lathergic for 6-7 innings, but then in the late innings, made just enough plays, capitalized on an error (I think), and won the game. That game taught me that we're in every game and not to ever give up too early.

NorthlakeTom
05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I love the pitching.

A deep and reliable bullpen. ERA of 3.50.

But amizingly, most of all, the starters are a combined 2.75.

How many clubs can say their starters' ERA is .75 UNDER the pen?

Not many.