PDA

View Full Version : Who do you fear?

soxwon
05-05-2005, 07:22 PM
What teams do you fear this year?
I mean who do you think will give the sox "fits".
Pick 5 clubs

ill say
angels
twins
red sox
rangers
yanks

munchman33
05-05-2005, 07:37 PM
I'll pick four.

Cardinals
Dodgers
Marlins
Braves
Not sure we match up that well in N.L. parks. Something to worry about come World Series time.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I fear nobody and my only regret is that the World Series doesn't start this weekend.

Whitesox029
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
1. Red Sox
2. Red Sox
3. Red Sox
4. Red Sox
5. Red Sox

downstairs
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Honestly no one.

The Sox downfall has always, in recent years, been long streaks of not being able to put away teams they should.

So, if I fear any specific team... its the possibility of getting hammered by a Detroit, KC, Tampa, etc.

DSpivack
05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
The only thing we have to fear...is fear itself. Or the Sox imploding. Other than that, I have no fears.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-05-2005, 07:51 PM
The injury bug. The staff is deep, and for the first time in several years, only has to get 27 outs per game.

BigEdWalsh
05-05-2005, 07:58 PM
The only thing we have to fear...is fear itself. Or the Sox imploding. Other than that, I have no fears.

Exactly what I was gonna say. But seriously, after last season, all I fear is injuries to key players. That and Arnie Munoz.

MRKARNO
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I fear nobody and my only regret is that the World Series doesn't start this weekend.

My sentiments as well. There is one thing that scares me right now and that is playing at Oakland and even that is iffy as both those games were losses that easily could have been wins. Otherwise, who could beat us right now? The Red Sox with Jeremy Gonzalez and John Halama in their rotation? The Twins whom we've already taken 4 of 5 from? The reeling Yankees who are thisclose from getting swept by the Drays? The Angels' offense hasnt been great and they only have 3 good starters (Escobar, Colon and Washburn so far) while we have 5. Still I wouldnt "fear" them. The O's just maybe, but I think we could take advantage of their mediocre pitching staff.

JB98
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Twins and Angels

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I fear the Angels and Cardinals. Thats about it.

gobears1987
05-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Oakland, they are the only team that consistently beats us. Although, we won all 3 games only to get shafted by the umps who gave 2 of those wins to the A's. I just hate what happens when we go to that park though.

DaleJRFan
05-05-2005, 08:41 PM
With the Sox pitching staff, no one. The only thing I am affraid of, its a situation and not another team... I'm affraid we'll go up against a team with similar pitching and the bats will go silent... there isn't one single team that scares me.

seanpmurphy
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
I think a better word than fear regarding a lot of these teams is stress. I don't think any of these teams should be "feared," but a few of them are going to cause the Sox to really put up their A game or not win, simple as that. I mean realistically I don't see the Sox sweeping some of the better AL teams, but there's no reason we need to fear them, or think we can't take 2 as long as we step it up and play to our potential.

Fear? Never.

balke
05-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Orioles, Angels, Twins, our last series of the season w/ Detroit, and the injury bug.

These are all small worries more than fears. The only things that I could see going wrong.

irish rover
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
fear itself

The Racehorse
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I would fear the '27 Yankees, but they're all dead... so, nobody.

Banix12
05-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Three teams...

1. Oakland (at Oakland, I don't worry about the home games)
2. Anaheim
3. Baltimore has me a bit ancy right now

santo=dorf
05-05-2005, 09:15 PM
1. @Minnesota during September.
2. @Oakland
3. @Anaheim
4. @Texas
5. @Seattle

tacosalbarojas
05-05-2005, 09:49 PM
The only fear, if you want to call it that, is going into the playoffs and laying an egg a la 2000. For once in my life I'd like to see a home playoff victory. The '83 and '93 teams came into the playoffs with huge reps and didn't get it done. Maybe we can continue flying under the radar and shock the hell out of the world. Regular season fear is just falling flat in Minny, but I just don't feel that that is going to happen this year. Just a feeling, can't explain any more than that. Could it be the 21-7 mark to start? Yeah, I think that's it. Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds more winning.

CubsSuckSoBad
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
No team...Pitching wins championships

The ONLY thing that Im worried about are injuries to our starting staff...

(knock on wood)

We get timely hits, but hits wont matter if we cant keep the other offense in check...

Once our staff goes, our defense goes, and our hitting doesnt matter...

:supernana:

fquaye149
05-06-2005, 01:58 AM
I still fear the twins. Until there's a reason not to fear them, I will continue to.

Chrisaway
05-06-2005, 03:44 AM
I still fear the twins. Until there's a reason not to fear them, I will continue to. I was worried about the Twinks until we brought out the brooms at the Cell last month. But seriously As soon as the bats start heating up (*cough*Frank Thomas's return*cough*), I dont think there is any team to "fear". Teams should fear us. GO SOX!!!

MUsoxfan
05-06-2005, 03:52 AM
I think being 21-7 and winning every way possible, I don't have a fear of any team or individual. The Sox are a team of winners and will be a team of champions

soxtalker
05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
In the AL, Boston, Oakland, and LA. And I should include Baltimore. I tend to overlook them -- partly because they've been out of it for so long (bad reason), though mainly because I'd expect our good pitching to beat out their great hitting. But they've been playing well and that could continue very easily with us.

In the NL, Florida and St. Louis.

Florida probably scares me the most of all the teams, as their pitching is just awesome.

daveeym
05-06-2005, 10:35 AM
1. Chicago Tribune

2. ESPN
3. Chicago Suntimes
4. Joe Cowley
5. Moronotti.

elrod
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
The only thing I fear is complacency. If our pitching staff didn't dominate the way it does, we'd be in trouble. If our hitters decided to lay down in the late innings, we'd be in trouble.

Jurr
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
St. Louis and Minnesota. The teams we'll see in the ALCS and the WS.

LVSoxFan
05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
1. Oakland - although we lost two out of three, those games were so crazy that I really couldn't get all that upset about it. Those were like Twilight Zone affairs with all the bizareness

2. Twins - yeah, 4-1 so far, but again it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Don't forget every year we start out leading the AL Central, and then, usually about August or September, we start sliding down that slope. Face it, the Twins are always good, and they'll always be nipping at our heels.

3. Angels - great team, always gives us fits. Plus, a West coast team, which spelled doom for Sox teams past. They're doing great this year, too.

4. Red Sox - WS champions and you can never count them out. If we ever got to the ALCS I'm assuming it will be against them

5. Baltimore - *** is up with these guys this year? For some reason they always own the Yankees, but this year they're killing everybody. The good news/bad news is that we have a four game series with them next week--that should be a good first test for us this year.

And of course not losing to shoulda-beens like the Tigers, Cleveland or Toronto (who actually are good this year).

Hangar18
05-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Baltimore Orioles. They, like us, have excellent pitching.
But unlike us, they have 5 guys in the lineup hitting .300.

Ol' No. 2
05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
But unlike us, they have 5 guys in the lineup hitting .300.But only 3 starters with an ERA under 5. Good pitching beats good hitting. I'd much rather be in our position than theirs.

MIgrenade
05-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Ponson? They don't have excellent pitching, they have enough pitching to get by with an awesome offense, which is fine, but I would rather have enough pitching to shut them down. I still fear them though, in the same way we pummeled the Yankees in 2000, however, you never know when the bats go cold.
The only team I fear is the White Sox. They can only beat themselves right now.

elrod
05-06-2005, 11:31 AM

No, they do not have "excellent pitching". They have Erik Bedard and Bruce Chen. The rest are very inconsistent. Ponson? Rodrigo Lopez can be great, but he can be a headcase too. I'd say he is the Garland of the last few years. Daniel Cabrera has been very puzzling, with great stuff but no control.

Baltimore starters ERA:

Bedard: 2.50
Lopez: 3.55
Chen: 3.78
Cabrera: 5.79
Ponson: 6.67
Team ERA: 4.28
Starters ERA: 4.27

Relievers:
Julio: 0.59
Parrish: 1.23
B. J. Ryan: 2.45
Todd Williams: 3.65
Steve Kline: 6.52
Steve Reed: 8.68
Rick Bauer: 12.15
Relievers ERA: 4.30

None of these numbers even approach the White Sox. Our worst starter ERA is Buehrle at 4.00, with the other four starters under 3.00. Our starter ERA is 2.75. Our total reliever ERA is 3.55.

Bottom line: our pitching staff is miles better than Baltimore's.

pudge
05-06-2005, 01:21 PM
No team...Pitching wins championships

The ONLY thing that Im worried about are injuries to our starting staff...

(knock on wood)

I love the pun!

pudge
05-06-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd say...

1. Angels. We suck over there, and they are a solid team

2. Oakland in Oakland

3. Seattle in Seattle

4. Toronto in Toronto (we'll see this weekend)

5. Flubbies (the team with momentum always seems to stumble in the cross-city series)

ondafarm
05-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Chunichi Dragons

At the rate they are winning they could give the White Sox a run for their money and they play in a pitcher friendly dome.

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 01:44 PM
The only thing I really fear is the amount of games left to be played and the Sox getting complacent. I hope they can maintain the intensity all year long. There's a lot of time left, but I feel the Sox can play with anybody given the strength of their pitching staff and once Frank comes back the offense is going to get a huge boost.

mweflen
05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Oakland, LAAAAAAA, and the Twinkies.