PDA

View Full Version : Greenstein's 5/5 article

shoota
05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Sox put commerce ahead of art in TV shot

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050504greenstein.column

I noticed the Sox center field camera panning to the left to frame the entire billboard behind home plate in the shot, despite the fact that a right handed batter is almost cut off from the picture. This greatly disturbs me. I'm glad Teddy Greenstein wrote this article.

Sources say when an official from the Japanese company complained the sign was being cut off on the center-field shot, Sox marketing chief Brooks Boyer asked the production team to alter the shot.

The off-centered shot has remained ever since.

It upsets me that Boyer backed down to the Japanese company that only advertised for Ichiro's Mariners series, but it's even worse that he decided to keep it after that sponsor had stopped purchasing ads with the Sox. Brooks, come on man, we want to see the game not the ads. Show a little backbone.

"There has been an adjustment made," said Jim Corno, general manager of Comcast SportsNet. "It's a slightly different shot, and it's an issue we share with the guys at WGN. But we haven't had one viewer who has called or e-mailed to complain. It has not created any angst for me."

I greatly urge Sox Army to e-mail your complaint about this new camera view, and ask to return it to the one we had last year.

MRKARNO
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I actually did notice the different angle and I do think it takes away somewhat from the broadcast, but the tone of the article was certainly unbalanced. I would hope they do return it back to normal as soon as possible.

shoota
05-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I went to Comcast's website and found this contact information:

Comcast SportsNet
350 N. Orleans Street
Suite S1-100
Chicago, IL 60654
Telephone: 312-222-6000

csnchicagowebsite@comcastsportsnet.com

I used the email address since it's easier for me.
Greenstein's article quoted the general manager of CSN saying that he hasn't received any complaints about the new camera view. Since he's interested in our opinion, let's send him an email.

Fenway
05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
The major problem is the width. Most teams use 6 feet, the WS chose 10.

Boyer is going to have to fix it because he may have some control over the home team feed, but the White Sox have none when it comes to the visiting or national feeds.

I am sure it will be fixed, their biggest headache now is seeing if the LF matrix board can be moved to the right someone as the new kids area blocks the scoreboard from a good chunk of third base side.

shoota
05-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I went to Comcast's website and found this contact information:

Comcast SportsNet
350 N. Orleans Street
Suite S1-100
Chicago, IL 60654
Telephone: 312-222-6000

csnchicagowebsite@comcastsportsnet.com

I used the email address since it's easier for me.
Greenstein's article quoted the general manager of CSN saying that he hasn't received any complaints about the new camera view. Since he's interested in our opinion, let's send him an email.

I also emailed Brooks about it since he had the power to change the camera angle. His email is bboyer@chisox.com

skobabe8
05-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Id like to see a before and after shot of the angle, if possible.

shoota
05-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Id like to see a before and after shot of the angle, if possible.

I don't have the means to answer your request, but I can say you can tell a big difference just from watching a game if you remember the old angle. There is a screen capture example in the physical copy of the Tribune.

Trust me, I didn't become aware of it through Teddy Greenstein's article. I noticed it the first game it was changed. Greenstein's article gave me the motivation to share it with fellow White Sox fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
...Greenstein's article gave me the motivation to share it with fellow White Sox fans.

Good luck with that.

Here's an idea. Get a new TV, one that captures the pitcher, catcher, hitter and umpire. I don't have this problem and I bet nobody else reading this has a problem either. Getting yourself a new TV is a lot more effective than whining about something that doesn't effect 99.999% of the television viewers... just you and Teddy.

And since we're obsessed with everything *besides* the baseball game, isn't it time for another thread about the M&M guy? At least those are entertaining, sorta.

shoota
05-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Good luck with that.

Here's an idea. Get a new TV, one that captures the pitcher, catcher, hitter and umpire. I don't have this problem and I bet nobody else reading this has a problem either. Getting yourself a new TV is a lot more effective than whining about something that doesn't effect 99.999% of the television viewers... just you and Teddy.

And since we're obsessed with everything *besides* the baseball game, isn't it time for another thread about the M&M guy? At least those are entertaining, sorta.

I was under the assumption that everyone who doesn't own a wide-screen tv is negatively affected by this camera angle change.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I was under the assumption that everyone who doesn't own a wide-screen tv is negatively affected by this camera angle change.

Nope. I've got three sets and I haven't missed a pitch or a swing of the bat yet, wide screen or otherwise.

Gee, the Cubune inventing another reason to piss about the Sox and avoid talking about the winning streak? Who wudda thunk it.

You might know the Cubune added an advertisement sign at the Urinal, too, but somehow Teddy doesn't have a beef about that one... even with the hallowed bricks covered over by John Deere ads.
:roflmao:

Un-****ing-believable.

FarWestChicago
05-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I was under the assumption that everyone who doesn't own a wide-screen tv is negatively affected by this camera angle change.Why on Earth would you believe anything a Flub loving, Cubune writer told you? :rolleyes:

shoota
05-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Nope. I've got three sets and I haven't missed a pitch or a swing of the bat yet, wide screen or otherwise.

I also have not missed a pitch or a swing of the bat either--except for when the stations come back from commercial late--but the new camera angle has changed my perspective for the worse. Instead of the catcher being the center of my screen (as it was before this angle change), everything is pushed to my right as the camera angle has panned left to make sure the entire advertisement is in the picture, leaving all right-handed batters to the very right edge of my screen.

You're right about the wide-screen tv. I've never had one, but I'm sure with the extra width, I would get a much more centered view.

I often wear the tinfoil Sox hat, but I don't think Greenstein is trying to slam the Sox in this case. This new center field camera angle is something I noticed immediately, and from his above post, MRKARNO noticed a change as well.

MRKARNO
05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
It's definitely a minor annoyance IMO, but I havent missed anything as Greenstein suggests and it definitely wasnt something that needed a WHOLE COLUMN written about it. Maybe a tidbit in a column (as has been done in similar instances with the Cubs. Heck I dont think they had an article as long for their new adboard) would have been in line, but this was edging out of line.

daveeym
05-06-2005, 12:44 AM
What's that old saying??? "Everyone loves a whistle blower." Seriously, when is the internal trib memo saying to mf the sox at every opportunity going to surface?

samram
05-06-2005, 12:50 AM
What's that old saying??? "Everyone loves a whistle blower." Seriously, when is the internal trib memo saying to mf the sox at every opportunity going to surface?

We need a mole.

gosox41
05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Sox put commerce ahead of art in TV shot

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050504greenstein.column

I noticed the Sox center field camera panning to the left to frame the entire billboard behind home plate in the shot, despite the fact that a right handed batter is almost cut off from the picture. This greatly disturbs me. I'm glad Teddy Greenstein wrote this article.

It upsets me that Boyer backed down to the Japanese company that only advertised for Ichiro's Mariners series, but it's even worse that he decided to keep it after that sponsor had stopped purchasing ads with the Sox. Brooks, come on man, we want to see the game not the ads. Show a little backbone.

I greatly urge Sox Army to e-mail your complaint about this new camera view, and ask to return it to the one we had last year.

I honestly could say this doesn't bother me at all. And the fact that Boyer said he hasn't gotten any calls or complaints before the article as written shows how little it matters. But now that it's out there it matters.

A perfect example of the media using its power and influence and affecting fans perception of the team. That's all it is. Now the Trib gave Sox fans a reason to be pissed at the team while their beloved team struggles with a lot of on field and off field activity.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
A perfect example of the media using its power and influence and affecting fans perception of the team. That's all it is. Now the Trib gave Sox fans a reason to be pissed at the team while their beloved team struggles with a lot of on field and off field activity.

Yep, and Shoota took the bait... hook, line and sinker.

Outrage! Call up the Sox Army!!!!

:kukoo:

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2005, 10:32 AM
George, with all due respect, I think you need to adjust your tinfoil hat here.

This is a legitimate article about a legitimate, albeit minor, change in the way the Sox broadcast their games. I found it interesting, since to be honest I hadn't noticed any shots being cut off. (I'm actually more pissed off about Comcast's lousy technical production, but that's another matter...)

You've taken the Hangar18 angle here, when I really don't think that's the case.

itsnotrequired
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM

I have seen Japanese ads on the board even after the Mariners series. Perhaps the company had to purchase a minimum timeframe contract and the ads will continue to be seen until the contract expires?:?:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2005, 10:52 AM
George, with all due respect, I think you need to adjust your tinfoil hat here.

This is a legitimate article about a legitimate, albeit minor, change in the way the Sox broadcast their games. I found it interesting, since to be honest I hadn't noticed any shots being cut off. (I'm actually more pissed off about Comcast's lousy technical production, but that's another matter...)

You've taken the Hangar18 angle here, when I really don't think that's the case.

From Teddy's article...

"There has been an adjustment made," said Jim Corno, general manager of Comcast SportsNet. "It's a slightly different shot, and it's an issue we share with the guys at WGN. But we haven't had one viewer who has called or e-mailed to complain. It has not created any angst for me."

Now tell me again who is wearing the tinfoil cap, cheeses? Even worse, the Cubune's tinfoil cap.
:o:

It's news because Teddy made it news.

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2005, 11:04 AM
From Teddy's article...

Now tell me again who is wearing the tinfoil cap, cheeses? Even worse, the Cubune's tinfoil cap.
:o:

It's news because Teddy made it news.

You left out a few other parts of the article where the impact on the actual gametime camera people/producers are affected by the change:

But the shot has rankled some members of the Sox's TV production team, who say the center-field shot has been altered to satisfy the Sox's marketing department.

The problem arose during a weekend series against Seattle in April, when the Sox sold the ad board to a Japanese company trying to capitalize on the presence of the Mariners' Ichiro Suzuki.

Sources say when an official from the Japanese company complained the sign was being cut off on the center-field shot, Sox marketing chief Brooks Boyer asked the production team to alter the shot.

The off-centered shot has remained ever since.

Boyer said if the shot looks different than it did for the Sox's season-opening series against Cleveland, "then it's my fault for not directing the shot to be there in the first place. The shot needs to be consistent with what we've done in the past. The ad board is always framed in the left side of the shot."

The Sox installed a new ad board this season after reconfiguring the area behind home plate to install new premier seats.

The board was placed about six inches closer to the first-base line.

While the position of the center-field camera has not changed, it's clear the shot has.

Corno acknowledged, though, that "some of our production people did voice concern over it."

Again, I think this is a minor, legitimate thing to write about. It's one of the background issues that interests me as a Sox fan.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
You left out a few other parts of the article where the impact on the actual gametime camera people/producers are affected by the change:

Again, I think this is a minor, legitimate thing to write about. It's one of the background issues that interests me as a Sox fan.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, here's what else Teddy said dismissing "the minor legitimate thing" on the other side of town...

The Cubs this season became the last major-league team to install a home-plate ad board in their ballpark, but the one at Wrigley Field is six feet wide. That allows the production team to show the ad—plus surrounding bricks—and still use a center-field shot that is far more direct.

The Cubs estimated the ad board will produce $3 million-to-$5 million a year in revenue. The Sox generate $2 million-to-$3 million with their board.

Ahh, I see... if only the Sox gave us a better view of the M&M guy and all the peripheral nonsense behind homeplate, everything at Sox Park would be okay, too?
:?:

The Sox get headline billing for being greedy
("Sox put commerce ahead of art in TV shot")
making as much as $3 million, but the Cubs don't get headline billing for making as much as $5 million?
:?: :?:

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Well, in the interest of full disclosure, here's what else Teddy said dismissing "the minor legitimate thing" on the other side of town...

Ahh, I see... if only the Sox gave us a better view of the M&M guy and all the peripheral nonsense behind homeplate, everything at Sox Park would be okay, too?
:?:

The Sox get headline billing for being greedy
("Sox put commerce ahead of art in TV shot")
making as much as $3 million, but the Cubs don't get headline billing for making as much as $5 million?
:?: :?:

Haha, I didn't even notice that disparity. Good catch. I guess as long as the Flubs show the equivalent of "a little leg" with their historic and much ballyhooed bricks, all is good in Flubville.

Maybe Knue wrote the headline?

:knue

Pay no attention the man behind the curtain. Bwahahahaha!

jackbrohamer
05-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Maybe Knue wrote the headline?

:knue

Pay no attention the man behind the curtain. Bwahahahaha!

He's busy figuring out justifications for re-posting the Ligue and Dybas "ATTACK AT COMISKEY" story. It's been a while; I actually expected the photos to get re-posted after the Sheffield incident.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Haha, I didn't even notice that disparity. Good catch. I guess as long as the Flubs show the equivalent of "a little leg" with their historic and much ballyhooed bricks, all is good in Flubville.

And of course this was the very same night the Sox broke the MLB record (again) for most consecutive games to hold the lead. That milestone at Sox Park took a backseat at the Cubune so the Sox could get ripped for signage while the Cubs get a pass for showing "a little leg." (I like your analogy.)

Check that one off the Cubune editor's list. They're running out of excuses. I'm guessing we're about due to see the Cubune's fold out section on attendance next.
:cool:

Iwritecode
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
This is a non-issue to me.

Can I see the pitcher throw the ball? Check.
Can I see the batter hit the ball? Check.
Can I see the umpire call balls and strikes? Check.

That's all I need. :cool:

shoota
05-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Bob

Bob, I noticed this change the first game the new, off-center advertiser camera angle was introduced. It hurt my experience of the game. After reading Greenstein's article which quoted CSN general manager saying he's justified in keeping it since he's never received a complaint about it, I was motivated to write him and inform other Sox fans of something I think concerns all of us.

I never knew CSN cared what one fan thought, so I never had the motivation to write. Thanks to Greenstein's article, now I do.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-07-2005, 09:10 AM
I never knew CSN cared what one fan thought, so I never had the motivation to write. Thanks to Greenstein's article, now I do.

Great. When the Cubune gets around to doing their fold out feature (full-color, 4 pages, wrap-around style) about how much better attendance at the Urinal is than Sox Park, you can excercise your free will and write some more letters of complaint about the Sox.

The Sox won again last night, shoota. Not that you or the Cubune much care.