PDA

View Full Version : More ESPN crap on why AL east is a beast and why central is crappy

nasox
05-05-2005, 05:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2053221

Don't discount the unbalanced schedule as a factor. While the Blue Jays and Orioles have taken big steps forward, making the Red Sox and Yankees work harder for nearly one-quarter (38) of their games, the AL Central front-runners can still beat up on the Kansas City Royals (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=kan), easily the worst team in the league.

The rest of the article is ok, but even when ESPN makes strides, the Eastern Sports Propoganda Network has to slip in crap in between.

ilsox7
05-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Um, Tampa Bay anyone?

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Um, Tampa Bay anyone?

Just don't ask Big George about how weak the DRays are.....

santo=dorf
05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Perfect time for me to use my new picture, :D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2786

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Just don't ask Big George about how weak the DRays are.....

I wouldnt love to play the Drays. They have a bunch of talent. Wait until Upton and Josh Hamilton are ready

South Side
05-05-2005, 06:12 PM

Oh my god... :roflmao: :rolling:

Fenway
05-05-2005, 06:16 PM
As a Red Sox fan I am not too worried right now given the fact the team has only played 10 games at home and have 2 starters on the DL

However what this article FAILS to point out is that it maybe very hard for the Wild Card to come from the East ESPECIALLY if Baltimore plays at .500 or better. That will lower the win totals of Boston and New York.

Kansas City looks like a lock to lose 100 this year, Cleveland is not as strong as some expected and Detroit isn't going anywhere. Right now there isn't much to seperate the 4 teams in the West so.................

But I also know the White sox can not keep winning games like Thursday, you can not get away winning with 2 hits often. They need Paul K to start hitting though I suspect he misses Frank in the lineup so he being pitched around.

maurice
05-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Notwithstanding the cubs' futility mark, Tampa is the worst franchise in MLB history. In their 7 years, Tampa has finished in 5th place 6 times and 4th place once. They've never won more than 70 games in a season. KC won 83 games as recently at 2003.
ESPN = :dtroll:

Soxzilla
05-05-2005, 06:41 PM

Holy Crap. That pic makes me want to piss my pants he's so angry.

:gulp:

And fenway, shut up.

downstairs
05-05-2005, 06:50 PM
And then after we kick the cr*p out of the East... then what? The NL is deemed stronger?

Walkman
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
However what this article FAILS to point out is that it maybe very hard for the Wild Card to come from the East ESPECIALLY if Baltimore plays at .500 or better. That will lower the win totals of Boston and New York.

You forgot to mention that Boston and New York losing will always lower their win totals.

shoota
05-05-2005, 09:09 PM

Is that Cliff Politte? What uniform is he wearing?

santo=dorf
05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Is that Cliff Politte? What uniform is he wearing?

That was the Tigers game last year where Buehrle and Maroth both went 9 innings giving up only 2 runs. Politte walked in the winning run in the 10th, as the Tigers won in front of a sold out crowd for a game that honored the Negro Leagues.

shoota
05-05-2005, 09:20 PM
That was the Tigers game last year where Buehrle and Maroth both went 9 innings giving up only 2 runs. Politte walked in the winning run in the 10th, as the Tigers won in front of a sold out crowd for a game that honored the Negro Leagues.

Cool. :gulp:

The Racehorse
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
"I want to see El Duque and Contreras in July and August,'' said a skeptical AL personnel man.

Says another: "I think you still have to mash to win in the American League.''

Looks like old habits diehard. The 'personnel man' in the second quote is forgetting that freaky power numbers will be in decline for the next few seasons [at least] because of the steroids issue. The SOX, imo, are ahead of the curve regarding sacrificing some power in order to place pitching as the #1 priority.

EDIT: S=D, luv your new sig! :cool:

mr_genius
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM
the NL central is by far the worst division in baseball

only 1 team over or even at .500

what a joke

soxtalker
05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I read the article earlier today, and I think it makes some valid points. As bad as Tampa has been the past few years, they appear to be better than KC this year. And even though Detroit and Cleveland were given high expectations compared to last year, I don't think that anyone put them in the same class as the Yankees and Red Sox. We've beaten the Twins and just barely lost to the A's. If -- and this is a big IF -- we can chew up teams like Baltimore and Toronto in the next week or so and then do well against the Angels later in the month, we'll start getting more respect from the national media.

Hangar18
05-06-2005, 11:09 AM

what a joke

Note how the Eastern States Propoganda Network and the Cub-loving Chicago Media WONT talk about that ..........

Ol' No. 2
05-06-2005, 11:15 AM

what a jokeThanks to the Cubs, now there are two.:)

maurice
05-06-2005, 01:34 PM
I think you still have to mash to win in the American League.

That's why the twins never reach the playoffs. The Sox out-mash them every year.

Fenway
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Nobody can take away what the White Sox have done so far, it is as good a run as the Red Sox had last August when after playing .500 ball for 3 months they lit the afterburners and never looked back.

The rest of May the schedule gets a little harder on paper and then we will have a better feel on just how good the White Sox are.

The games with Baltimore at the Cell will be a good indicator.

maurice
05-06-2005, 02:34 PM
In April, the Sox played the twins 5 times and ESPN's preseason favorites Cleveland and Detroit 10 times. The entire offseason, all we heard was how great those 3 teams were and how the Sox had no chance of beating any of them. Now we've beaten them like a red-headed stepchild for an entire month.

The only logical conclusion is that (1) ESPN was wrong and all 3 of those teams blow, or (2) ESPN was wrong and the Sox are better than some or all of those 3 teams. Instead, we're expected to presume that April proves that the Sox May opponents are better than any of their April opponents . . . but doesn't prove that the Sox are any good. That's ridiculous.

Isn't there a very good chance that, by the end of the season, Toronto, Tampa, Baltimore, Texas, etc. will prove worse than the twins? I promise that the AL East standings will look very different in September.

Baby Fisk
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
The Sox can win the ALCS in 4 games and people will still dismiss them as some freak-of-nature, once-in-a-century anomaly that shouldn't have happened and is somehow bad for baseball. **** them all. :rolleyes:

Fenway
05-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Isn't there a very good chance that, by the end of the season, Toronto, Tampa, Baltimore, Texas, etc. will prove worse than the twins? I promise that the AL East standings will look very different in September.

I don't think you will see Toronto ahead of New York but Baltimore I am beginning to wonder. The Yankees have serious, serious problems and they can't buy themselves out of this mess. Boston has only played 10 at home and has had injuries but they seem to be getting on track now.

I think the WC is coming from the central this year.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-06-2005, 02:53 PM
How sweet would a Twins-Sox ALCS be this year? It's killing me to even think of rooting for the Twins, but at this point I want them to win the Wild Card. We shut up the ECM, make them watch an AL Central ALCS, then drill the Twins on our way to the Series. One can dream.

Never mind Kansas City's record is so bad because they have played the Twins and Sox a ton. I have to say, they've played us tough most games. They weren't a push over.

Tragg
05-08-2005, 01:45 AM
It's easy enough to determine.

Just tabulate interdivisional records of each team and in total. I predict the 3 divisions will be pretty close, with KC pulling us down.

I don't see much compelling about the east this year in the sense that it's some super division. New York is sitting at home this year - they're in trouble, short of moving up to 300 mill next season. Toronto, and Baltimore have been bad the past couple of years- they're better this year, and if Baltimore's pitching is legit, they have a chance. Does Toronto have any pitchers besides Haliday? I certainly don't think baltimore is better than either the twins or the sox so when the wild card comes out of the central it will be deserved.

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 04:37 PM
How sweet would a Twins-Sox ALCS be this year? It's killing me to even think of rooting for the Twins, but at this point I want them to win the Wild Card. We shut up the ECM, make them watch an AL Central ALCS, then drill the Twins on our way to the Series. One can dream.

Never mind Kansas City's record is so bad because they have played the Twins and Sox a ton. I have to say, they've played us tough most games. They weren't a push over.
I have to say after watching how the season has started so far, the Wild Card may infact come from the Central. At first I thought there was no chance have, with the Yankees and Red Sox. But they have been worse than I expected, especially the Yankees. The Twins and Sox may prove to be the best two teams in the AL. I know it is still early, but a playoffs with only one team from the AL East sounds prety good to me.

Fenway
05-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I know it is still early, but a playoffs with only one team from the AL East sounds prety good to me.

As long as it is

http://logoserver.com/baseball/BostonRedSox5061.GIF

:D:

and they are starting to hit their stride.

We would like to thank the Chicao Cubs for letting us sign

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050507/capt.mamd10705070058.mariners_red_sox_mamd107.jpg

now 4-0 :smile:

santo=dorf
05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm sure the bashers and doubters of the Sox will point out that even though the Blue Jays were swept, they are only a .500 team. :rolleyes:

Of course they were 16-13 before the series started.

buehrle4cy05
05-08-2005, 05:13 PM
This article is written by Sean McAdam-who if I'm not mistaken writes for a paper in New England...so he obviously doesn't know much about the White Sox.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Twins win again today and improve their record to 19-11. The AL Central now has a second place team with a better record that the AL West leading Angles, NL Central leading Cards and NL West leading Dodgers.

But the AL Central is a weak division...:rolleyes:

PAPChiSox729
05-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Twins win again today and improve their record to 19-11. The AL Central now has a second place team with a better record that the AL West leading Angles, NL Central leading Cards and NL West leading Dodgers.

But the AL Central is a weak division...:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? That is where the Indians and Tigers play!

Seriously, the Twins are looking pretty good. I'll go out on a limb and say that the second place team in the AL Central, at the end of the season, can beat the AL East champion.