PDA

View Full Version : contract this!!

longshot7
11-07-2001, 03:34 AM
check this out:

"Almost as an afterthought, Selig casually mentioned Tuesday that not only was Major League Baseball moving forward to contract two teams, but a "significant" number of owners actually favored eliminating four teams."

FOUR teams??? Are you kdding me?? That didn't happen during the great depression.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/mcadam_sean/1274639.html

Jerry_Manuel
11-07-2001, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
"Almost as an afterthought, Selig casually mentioned Tuesday that not only was Major League Baseball moving forward to contract two teams, but a "significant" number of owners actually favored eliminating four teams."

FOUR teams??? Are you kdding me?? That didn't happen during the great depression.

I don't think they could get 4 teams past the union.

Minnesota
Expos
Devil Rays
KC?
Marlins

jklm
11-07-2001, 10:12 AM
According to NY Times, the two NY teams were two of the supporters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/07/sports/baseball/07BASE.html

"The Athletics at one time seemed to be as obvious a candidate for contraction as the Expos, but they have developed a highly attractive team and are taking steps to hold on to their good young players. Selig said many owners, possibly a majority, favored the elimination of four teams, but he said two would be the number for now. One owner said the Yankees and the Mets were among the teams that proposed four be eliminated."

Joel Perez
11-07-2001, 03:54 PM
I mentioned this yesterday....

does anyone think that the Sox MAYBE are one of the teams, with their attendance being where it has been? Or am I just not thinking straight?

Jerry_Manuel
11-07-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
I mentioned this yesterday....

does anyone think that the Sox MAYBE are one of the teams, with their attendance being where it has been? Or am I just not thinking straight?

No Joel the Sox are in no trouble at all. Selig says the reason these 2 teams are going is because they can't make money in their current situation. No matter what Jerry Reinsdorf says he is making money. Jerry is also a very close friend of the tool himself Bud Selig.

Joel Perez
11-07-2001, 03:59 PM
Good to know, being a Sox transplant living here in Texas.

By the way--thanks for your help on my signature!

Jerry_Manuel
11-07-2001, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
By the way--thanks for your help on my signature!

Not a problem.