Way to get it done, Shingo.

eurotrash35
05-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Wow, talk about winning ugly.

downstairs
:bandance:

Way to get it done, Shingo.

I think you meant for that to be in teal?

Come on Shingo... don't try so hard to make it interesting!

Rocklive99
"uh oh", love the runs on no hits, we'll take it!

Record extended

Uncle_Patrick
Tony Pena has got to be ready to kill someone.

johnnyg83
Yes! Oh Cisco! Oh Shingo!

WikdChiSoxFan
05-05-2005, 04:18 PM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
we'll take it

Unregistered
It's about time Jose got his first win.

We stole that one, for sure. Grienke was dealin' today.

:winner

.750 baseball

elrod
One of the best pitching performances all year for the Sox. Winning a game while getting 2 hits. 2 HITS!!! And another victory while only getting 2 runs. We never won pitcher's duels in the past few years. We do now.

Etownsox13
Wow...another come from behind win

and its cinco de mayo :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

WikdChiSoxFan
Wow, talk about winning ugly.

hahahaha...most definately

SoxWillWin
anyone know where I can get nitroglycerin pills without a scrip??? I'm gonna need them this year.

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

spongyfungy
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
got to be the ugliest win of the year.

cheeses_h_rice
You know things are going your way when you can win with only 2 hits.

MERCY.

:gulp:

balke
Great job JC!

Risk
Jose finally gets off the schnide. He pitched a hell of a game.

Risk

lowesox
Good teams win games like these. Good work boys.

The Racehorse
05-05-2005, 04:20 PM
ROYAL FLUSH!

:sweep

Congrats to Contreras for getting his 1st win. :gulp:

Kogs35
05-05-2005, 04:20 PM
whooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice job boys on stealing a win :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: jose :gulp: :bandance:

elrod
05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
We stole that one, for sure. Grienke was dealin' today.

That was my initial reaction too. But let's face it: there's a reason the Royals are now 7-21. They don't know how to win close games. Their relief corps is very young and it showed today. The last game in KC that we won, I'd say we "stole", because we played so poorly. But this game our pitcher went toe to toe with their ace and our guy outlasted theirs. We didn't steal that win. We persevered.

downstairs
28!

Shoeless Joe
I'm more than willing to take this win. Contreras was unbelievable. Our starting pitching has been absolutely unreal. I thought it was going to be good before the season started but this is just ridiculous. It's fun to be a White Sox fan right now!

HomeFish
Neither I, nor Jose Contreras, nor Shingo Takatsu are Mexican, but I'm sure that all three of us will be having a very, very happy Cinco de Mayo. The first one especially.

owensmouth
Wonder what Krud on BBTN will say about this game.:D: :D: :D:

tebman
Tony Pena has got to be ready to kill someone.

The people in Kansas City deserve better, but hey, I'll take it! :D:

kraut83
As much as I need to OD on tums right now, I'm glad Shingo was able to get himself out of that mess.

NorthlakeTom
Come on Shingo... don't try so hard to make it interesting!
Agreed, but I'll take Shingo over Koch's antics last season.

Where's that damn heart medication!

Unregistered
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Nothing ugly about that one on our side.

To me, ugly is a 9-8 victory where everyone is just slugging the crap out of everything.

Helluva game by both pitchers, and as usual this year, the Sox come out on top somehow.

voodoochile
Ugly ugly ugly... we take dat one...

:sweep

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana: :bandance:

downstairs
Two things playoff-quality teams do:

1. Beat teams they should
2. Win games they don't diserve to

We did both of those today

Evman5
05-05-2005, 04:23 PM
YES!!!!!! MY MAN JOSE GETS HIS FIRST WIN!!!!!!!!

CHalk one up for El Conde!

:bandance::dtroll::supernana::bandance::dtroll::su pernana:

cheeses_h_rice
Wonder what Krud on BBTN will say about this game.:D: :D: :D:

He's busy putting together tape of empty seats at the park today...just you wait.

halfpricemonday
I love this team. After this season, MLB should have a "White Sox winner" 1-run game award, which will be given to the most clutch team in baseball. Any team that manages to find all these ways to keep the wins coming deserves an award named after them.

Sox Park...where you pay for the whole seat, but you'll only use the edge!

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
This is why the Royals are 7-21. They handed us the game, we took it. Did whatever necessary, even if it was the bare minimum. That's why we're 21-7. We had a bad game, got dominated and still won. That's not luck, that's a great team.

downstairs
Agreed, but I'll take Shingo over Koch's antics last season.

Absolutely agreed.

However... Ozzie has to watch it. Shingo is a trick pitcher, and they don't last long because once they're figured out, they're dead.

SoxSpeed22
Good teams win games like these. Good work boys.Either that or bad teams give games away like that. A Win's a win.:supernana:

Ol' No. 2
anyone know where I can get nitroglycerin pills without a scrip??? I'm gonna need them this year. Maybe the vendors should start dispensing them around the 8th inning.

Dear Brooks....

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Now all they have to do is play .750 ball the rest of the way and they should be fine...:D:

ilsox7
I've been saying all week that we play the Royals 18 times and will not beat them all 18 times. Well, after today, we just might beat them 18 times.

SoxWillWin
Maybe the vendors should start dispensing them around the 8th inning.

Dear Brooks....

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

mantis1212
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
This has to be one of those "other 42" that Hawk keeps talking about...

owensmouth
If Pena was pissed last night, I'll bet he's introducing those young kids to another case of off color Spanish

StrTrkker
Neither I, nor Jose Contreras, nor Shingo Takatsu are Mexican, but I'm sure that all three of us will be having a very, very happy Cinco de Mayo. The first one especially.

I am Mexican and will be enjoying a great Cinco De Mayo night. Way to go, Sox.

:bandance:

Chisox003
This gets more fun with every win....

And even sweeter with every cubs loss....

I was just talking (bragging) to a cubs friend of mine, and he goes "well the cubs havent been playing the royals and tigers..."

My response "And how are the Reds, Brewers and Pirates any different"

Nothin! (Except we are 21-7, of course)

Woo Hoo
S05X

downstairs
I've been saying all week that we play the Royals 18 times and will not beat them all 18 times. Well, after today, we just might beat them 18 times.

The Royals are so bad we may just beat them 21 times in these 18 games ;)

mjharrison72
05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Listen... sometimes you come in and you mow guys down for the save, other times you gotta walk two guys, then throw behind a guy before inducing the game-ending fly ball.

In the end, only one stat matters:

LVSoxFan
05-05-2005, 04:27 PM
That was absurd.

We just watched the whole thing and that's gotta be a first--we don't hit for any runs but instead let them walk in two. In a row. To beat them.

LOL! I'll take it.

Greinke sure has our number, pitching-wise.

Good news: Contrereas was good, and he went the longest so far this season.

ja1022
05-05-2005, 04:30 PM
....and meanwhile, two hours north Carlos Lee's bloop single completes a Brewer's sweep of the Cub. The end of a perfect day of baseball.

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Reminds me of the game when the Sox beat the Yankees without a hit.

SoxWillWin
05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Aside from us having no offense, there were No errors, Contreras only walked one, went deep in the game, and even Tony G's homer wasn't a MONSTER shot. We kept ourselves in the game with Pitching and Defense and the rest fell into to place, wether they gave it to us or not it was a good game.

Ol' No. 2
If Pena was pissed last night, I'll bet he's introducing those young kids to another case of off color SpanishI'll bet Grienke is learning a few choice Spanish words, too. Gotta feel sorry for the poor kid.

Flight #24
KC had 5 baserunners all game. We had 6. As much as we may not have "deserved" to win this game, we deserved it more than they did. And unlike some Sox teams we've seen in the past, we came through!

NorthlakeTom
05-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Absolutely agreed.

However... Ozzie has to watch it. Shingo is a trick pitcher, and they don't last long because once they're figured out, they're dead.

I think Shingo will be alright. He didn't become Japan's all-time saves leader by getting figured out. He's a wily veteran, and he has my trust - for now, anyway.

infohawk
05-05-2005, 04:35 PM
got to be the ugliest win of the year.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I hope that our dearth of hits was because Greinke was lights out, not because we just struggled at the plate.

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Out friggin' ridiculous

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I think Shingo will be alright. He didn't become Japan's all-time saves leader by getting figured out. He's a wily veteran, and he has my trust - for now, anyway.Shingo has not been getting ahead of the hitters, and he only seems to use the frisbee when he's ahead. So his arsenal is limited. If he keeps pitching from behind he's not going to be too successful against good-hitting veterans.

Tannerfan
05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I wonder what The Yankees are thinking as they look at the ERA's of Jose & El Duque

Iwritecode
05-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Both starting pitchers deserved to win that game.

The problem is, the Royals bullpen certainly derserved the loss...

I'll take it though! :D: :supernana: :D:

3rdgensoxfan
That was absurd.

We just watched the whole thing and that's gotta be a first--we don't hit for any runs but instead let them walk in two. In a row. To beat them.

Those walks should help relieve some of our worries over the low team walk total.

balke
I wonder what The Yankees are thinking as they look at the ERA's of Jose & El Duque

Probably thinking more about stealing Greinke when he's a FA.

Soxzilla
....and meanwhile, two hours north Carlos Lee's bloop single completes a Brewer's sweep of the Cub. The end of a perfect day of baseball.

Sorry this crap pisses me off.

The twin's won, thus it wasn't a perfect day. Stick that Cubs crap up your butt, they have absolutely nothing to do with the White Sox and whether or not we win the division.

Anyways, yes. Another White Sox winner, this never gets tiring.

This just leaves me with one question...

How do they decide on assigning an all-star game inning for each our starters.

elrod
We did not "steal" that one. It wasn't an "ugly" win. We didn't "stink" today. Zach Greinke is a legitimately great pitcher and he shut our offense down. But our real #5, Contreras shut them down too, with the exception of Graffy's HR. We played stellar ball in the field, and when we had a chance to move some baserunners along in the 8th, we did with a nice a sac bunt. Sure, the Royals' relievers choked, but if not for Contreras, it wouldn't have mattered. Our pitching positioned us to win a close game.

Evman5
05-05-2005, 04:38 PM

He continues to be a cub-killer!

elrod
05-05-2005, 04:38 PM

I'm sure Torre is really excited to see Loaiza do moderately well in Washington too.

balke
05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Sorry this crap pisses me off.

The twin's won, thus it wasn't a perfect day. Stick that Cubs crap up your butt, they have absolutely nothing to do with the White Sox and whether or not we win the division.

Anyways, yes. Another White Sox winner, this never gets tiring.

This just leaves me with one question...

How do they decide on assigning an all-star game inning for each our starters.

At least Sabathia got shelled, but mostly I agree. I think Cleveland won the series, so that's good enough for me. Sabathia shelled, and Cleveland taking 2 out of 3 may be exactly what I wanted to see in the series.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm sure Torre is really excited to see Loaiza do moderately well in Washington too.After a few rough outings to start the season, Vazquez is pitching nicely, too.:cool:

downstairs
05-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Stick that Cubs crap up your butt, they have absolutely nothing to do with the White Sox and whether or not we win the division.

I don't know about you, but a Cubs loss is as good as a Sox win to me...

Shift
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Baseball Tonight will again focus on the attendance. Who cares. 21-7

SSN721
Wow, what a great win, I had Gamecast on and didnt look from the bases loaded in the eighth til the last out of the game cuz I had to do something at work. I am glad I didnt, I would have been having a heart attack. I cant beleive it. What a goofball way to win, but it shows this teams will to win. They get it done, what else can you say. Shingo gets another 1 run save. I dont think there has been a closer in history with so many haters being 28 of 30 in his MLB history. Great to see JC get his first win. Have a great Cinco de Mayo fellas, you deserve it for pulling out this one.
:bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

Ol' No. 2
I don't know about you, but a Cubs loss is as good as a Sox win to me...You're crazy.

HomeFish
[/color]

Cubs lose, Twins lose, Sox win is the "trifecta." Cubs lose/Sox win is a "perfect day".

trifecta > perfect day, as odd as it may seems. I didn't coin these terms, I just use them how they are standardly used here.

Jjav829

Carlos Lee drives in the winning run for the Brewers. Scott Podsednik "drives in" the winning run for the Sox. That trade looks pretty good for both teams, at least for today. :smile:

SSN721
05-05-2005, 04:43 PM

That is crazy, I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy and am happy they lost, but not as happy as I would be if the Twins lost, and certainly not as happy as I am with a White Sox Winner.

balke
05-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't know about AS good... SOX FAN

spongyfungy
05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Ozzie postgame (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejmoon83/ozzie.mp3)

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Ahhh...no

SSN721
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Ozzie postgame (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejmoon83/ozzie.mp3)

Thanks for that.

The Racehorse
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm sure Torre is really excited to see Loaiza do moderately well in Washington too.

... don't forget Jon Lieber in Philly. :cool:

duke of dorwood
05-05-2005, 04:49 PM
You mean the 12-15 Cubs?

We are gonna have to hit on this road trip-all "turf" trip

SpammySosa
The following was said by Ed Farmer in reference to Shingo in the 9th: "He wants him to hit a grounder[pause].....to a fielder[pause].....in the infield.":?: Other than that deep insight,I have the following to say: 1)Shingo scares me and(I know I will be damned for this one) 2)Is anyone else concerned how we will fare against better teams? I know a win is a win but with such close games against subpar teams I wonder how we will do in the upcoming games against Toronto,Baltimore,etc.I realize our pitching is solid and is the huge reason for our success thus far.I also know that we expected a lot of 1 run games.But unless the offense starts providing more run support,the pitching staff is going to be left with very little margin for error. Before I start receiving hate mail,I am not trolling,nor do I think the sky is falling.I would be curious to read insight from others and hope I am worrying over nothing.

itsnotrequired
At least Sabathia got shelled, but mostly I agree. I think Cleveland won the series, so that's good enough for me. Sabathia shelled, and Cleveland taking 2 out of 3 may be exactly what I wanted to see in the series.

Right on. Twins are still up a few games so a Cleveland win would have been nice but hopefully the rest of the AL Central will continue to wail on each other all season long.

dcb33
05-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Are you freakin' nuts?

You must be what Cubs fans are talking about when they say Sox fans care more about what the Cubs than whether or not the Sox win. Thanks for giving them ammo.

ilsox7
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
The following was said by Ed Farmer in reference to Shingo in the 9th: "He wants him to hit a grounder[pause].....to a fielder[pause].....in the infield.":?: Other than that deep insight,I have the following to say: 1)Shingo scares me and(I know I will be damned for this one) 2)Is anyone else concerned how we will fare against better teams? I know a win is a win but with such close games against subpar teams I wonder how we will do in the upcoming games against Toronto,Baltimore,etc.I realize our pitching is solid and is the huge reason for our success thus far.I also know that we expected a lot of 1 run games.But unless the offense starts providing more run support,the pitching staff is going to be left with very little margin for error. Before I start receiving hate mail,I am not trolling,nor do I think the sky is falling.I would be curious to read insight from others and hope I am worrying over nothing.

If we had beat these "lesser" teams the last few years, we'd have a few AL Central Championships to hang our hats on. We're getting the job done in the division. Now we just need to find a way to win a couple of series on the road.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
The following was said by Ed Farmer in reference to Shingo in the 9th: "He wants him to hit a grounder[pause].....to a fielder[pause].....in the infield.":?: Other than that deep insight,I have the following to say: 1)Shingo scares me and(I know I will be damned for this one) 2)Is anyone else concerned how we will fare against better teams? I know a win is a win but with such close games against subpar teams I wonder how we will do in the upcoming games against Toronto,Baltimore,etc.I realize our pitching is solid and is the huge reason for our success thus far.I also know that we expected a lot of 1 run games.But unless the offense starts providing more run support,the pitching staff is going to be left with very little margin for error. Before I start receiving hate mail,I am not trolling,nor do I think the sky is falling.I would be curious to read insight from others and hope I am worrying over nothing.Believe it or not, the Sox are averaging 4.46 RPG. The AL median is 4.75 RPG.

tebman
05-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Don't forget that Greinke is a genuinely good pitcher and did a great job today. Sure, weak offense is a cause for concern, but the averages are in our favor: Dye can't be this bad all season, Konerko will pick up, and Frank will be back. I think it'll be okay. :nod:

Iguana775
05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Listen... sometimes you come in and you mow guys down for the save, other times you gotta walk two guys, then throw behind a guy before inducing the game-ending fly ball.

In the end, only one stat matters:

Foulke used to do that all the time. but people still wish he was still a Sox.

Iwritecode
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Carlos Lee drives in the winning run for the Brewers. Scott Podsednik "drives in" the winning run for the Sox. That trade looks pretty good for both teams, at least for today. :smile:

Awesome observation. :cool:

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Good pitching beats good hitting. We'll match up our pitching versus anyone's hitting. A real well pitched game by another team will give us fits. But he'd better be good all nine innings

TaylorStSox
05-05-2005, 04:59 PM

Don't even get me started. :angry:

nebraskasox

Despite the wins, I'm concerned too. Shingo came close to blowing it with men on 2nd & 3rd. He may have received a gift 3rd strike call, on Stairs I believe. The silver lining in all these squeakers is that the offense should improve. When it does, the pitching will have more margin for error. If the offense continues to struggle, we will start losing the close games against better competition and the Twinks could start to chip away. I think you have a legitimate worry. We'll just have to wait & see how it plays out.

Hurry up and get well Big Hurt!

Iguana775
Are you freakin' nuts?

You must be what Cubs fans are talking about when they say Sox fans care more about what the Cubs than whether or not the Sox win. Thanks for giving them ammo.

I'll take a Sox win over a Cubs lose anyday. i can care less about the Cubs.

slavko
05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
He continues to be a cub-killer!

If Carlos had done something against the Twins in '04 similar to the cheap shot that has Todd Walker on the DL he'd still be here. I have no use for him. Great game (Sox), but I still feel like we lost.

DoggPhood
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Foulke used to do that all the time. but people still wish he was still a Sox.

Still is a [Red] Sox.

soxtalker
05-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Are you freakin' nuts?

I agree. It's one thing to cheer against the Cubs as crosstown rival when we're not doing particularly well, and comparing ourselves to the Cubs provides a small amount of enjoyment. But we're the ones playing well and going for a championship. The Cubs are decimated with injuries and show every indication of being so far behind the Cardinals by Memorial Day that they have no hope of coming back. It seems a little hollow to keep cheering with every loss of theirs.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 05:03 PM
If Carlos had done something against the Twins in '04 similar to the cheap shot that has Todd Walker on the DL he'd still be here. I have no use for him. Great game (Sox), but I still feel like we lost.:therapy:

SSN721
05-05-2005, 05:05 PM
If Carlos had done something against the Twins in '04 similar to the cheap shot that has Todd Walker on the DL he'd still be here. I have no use for him. Great game (Sox), but I still feel like we lost.

Wow, how bad do you feel when we lose then?

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree. It's one thing to cheer against the Cubs as crosstown rival when we're not doing particularly well, and comparing ourselves to the Cubs provides a small amount of enjoyment. But we're the ones playing well and going for a championship. The Cubs are decimated with injuries and show every indication of being so far behind the Cardinals by Memorial Day that they have no hope of coming back. It seems a little hollow to keep cheering with every loss of theirs.

We'll just remember that they're getting what they deserve

ChiSox7
05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
While Shingo may be scaring people a little bit more this year, the man still has a 93/94 career save percentage. He's saved 9 out of 10 so far this year. There are tons of teams all around the league that would kill for a guy like that.

Evman5

I like how the trade has worked out for us.....but if it was between Paulie and Carlos I would have gone with Carlos. He doesn't go through the slumps that Paulie goes through and Paulie's speed really bothers me. C. Lee could also occasionally steal a base.

tebman
Somebody got the tomato standing by?

gobears1987
05-05-2005, 05:08 PM
:tomatoaward
here ya go

Evman5
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
:tomatoaward

there ya go

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I like how the trade has worked out for us.....but if it was between Paulie and Carlos I would have gone with Carlos. He doesn't go through the slumps that Paulie goes through and Paulie's speed really bothers me. C. Lee could also occasionally steal a base.

This harkens back to the days when people were complainign because KW didn't trade Borchard for Garcia, he traded Reed. Despite no information/evidence that Seattle had any interest in big Joe.

Similarly, I don't believe the Brew Crew had enough interest in Paulie to make this deal.

soxtalker
05-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Yes, I'm concerned that we are piling up these wins against fairly weak teams. The next few weeks will be a better test. .

I'm not so worried about Shingo. He struggled early last year, and, hopefully, will sharpen his control as the season progresses. I assume that every closer goes through periods like this. More important, we seem to have plenty of alternatives in the bullpen in case his struggles are more serious.

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Would you rather the Flubs win and have their annoying fans still chirping about making the postseason?

I mean, yeah, right now I'm way more concerned with the Twins and Jndjans than the Flubs, but that doesn't mean I still don't get a smile on my face watching them bumbling and losing, injury-plagued or not. I would love to watch the best fans in all of baseball to see their reaction when the Flubs are 25 games out of first place in mid-August.

Screw 'em.

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 05:12 PM

It wasn't a choice, so why not just say you don't like PK?

SpammySosa
05-05-2005, 05:13 PM
I hope the concern I expressed in my previous post doesn't sound Homefishy or eeyore-ish.Trust me,I am as excited and supportive as any Sox fan and am confident of continued success throughout the year.I appreciate the input and look forward to a great series this weekend! :supernana:

downstairs
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Tomorrow's Trib preview:

Ex-Chicago Star Shines in Unlucky Cubs Loss

Bulls Prepare for Game 6

White Sox Bats Cold, Muster Only Two Hits in Shaky Win

Chisox003
05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Would you rather the Flubs win and have their annoying fans still chirping about making the postseason?

I mean, yeah, right now I'm way more concerned with the Twins and Jndjans than the Flubs, but that doesn't mean I still don't get a smile on my face watching them bumbling and losing, injury-plagued or not. I would love to watch the best fans in all of baseball to see their reaction when the Flubs are 25 games out of first place in mid-August.

Screw 'em.

Agreed...

Honestly, if I had to choose between both teams making the playoffs or both teams having a bad season, Id definitely choose both making the post season...My love for the Sox strongly overshadows my sheer hate for the Cubs, and thats just how it should be....

Cubs are no better than a .500 team this year, and dustys days are numbered...

White Sox are 21-7, and what else can you say? Keep winnin!

S05X

NorthlakeTom
05-05-2005, 05:20 PM
The following was said by Ed Farmer in reference to Shingo in the 9th: "He wants him to hit a grounder[pause].....to a fielder[pause].....in the infield.":?:
I'm tellin' ya...

Ed is worse than he was last year. I find myself screaming at the computer for him to shut up. I don't know what's worse. The irrelevant, nonsensical drivel, or the same old crap repeated day in day out. He's driving me nuts, and it's a shame that John picks up on the BS himself.

I've listened to Farmer go on and on about when it's appropriate to throw a bean ball, and listening to him brag, I thought he'd hit 100 batters in his career. I looked at his stats yesterday, and he hit twelve batters in his eleven year career. LMAO!

Hey, Farmer. SHUT UP!

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Tomorrow's Trib preview:

Ex-Chicago Star Shines in Unlucky Cubs Loss

Bulls Prepare for Game 6

White Sox Bats Cold, Muster Only Two Hits in Shaky Win

Close. But the last line will read:

White Sox Bats Cold, Muster Only Two Hits in Shaky Gift-Wrapped Win in Front of Sparse, Socioeconomically Downtrodden Crowd

ilsox7
05-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm tellin' ya...

Ed is worse than he was last year. I find myself screaming at the computer for him to shut up. I don't know what's worse. The irrelevant, nonsensical drivel, or the same old crap repeated day in day out. He's driving me nuts, and it's a shame that John picks up on the BS himself.

I've listened to Farmer go on and on about when it's appropriate to throw a bean ball, and listening to him brag, I thought he'd hit 100 batters in his career. I looked at his stats yesterday, and he hit twelve batters in his eleven year career. LMAO!

Hey, Farmer. SHUT UP!

Ed Farmer has never been any good.

soxtalker
05-05-2005, 05:34 PM

Screw 'em.

Well, yes, I think that I would rather see the Cubs win if the Sox are winning (particularly with the best record in baseball).

Partly, that's because I would like to see the Sox beat the Cubs in the WS. Now, I realize that many Sox fans would rather not risk the chance that the Cubs would make it through the playoffs while we wouldn't, but I guess I'm willing to take the chance.

However, ignoring that argument/reason, I'd still rather have the Cubs stay in the race for most of the season. The way things are going, they'll be out of it by Memorial Day. Many of those irritating fans you mention will simply start showing up on the south side and claim that they are die-hard Sox fans. If we continue to play well, the media will jump on the bandwagon -- particularly if the Cubs are out of it. While we'll like that at first, I don't really want the Sox to turn into just another version of the lovable Cubbies. If the Cubs stay in it, many of those fans will probably stay at Wrigley and in the bars around there. I know that there's a trade off here; you need casual fans to increase the attendance. I just don't want to be the current version of the Cubbies.

AZChiSoxFan
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
After a few rough outings to start the season, Vazquez is pitching nicely, too.:cool:

As is Brad Halsey.

hose
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, but I hope that our dearth of hits was because Greinke was lights out, not because we just struggled at the plate.

Comcast should be re-playing the game tonight.:bandance:

jenmcm76
05-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Greinke was just about lights-out today - scary to think how good he'll be once he's finally old enough to shave... :tongue:

Lip Man 1
05-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm very glad for Contreras that he was able to get a break for a change and pick up the win.

Speaking of getting a break... folks I'm telling you, this is 1990 all over again. Winning in the most bizarre, unusual ways. winning games with players who aren't 'household' names.

It's deja vu all over again.

Now let's go get em' in Toronto.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, I'm concerned that we are piling up these wins against fairly weak teams. The next few weeks will be a better test. .

The Sox have gone 4-1 vs. eventual div champ Minnesota.

my5thbench
05-05-2005, 05:53 PM
nah....winnin' last week with 4 errors was uglier

we'll take it

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, yes, I think that I would rather see the Cubs win if the Sox are winning (particularly with the best record in baseball).

Partly, that's because I would like to see the Sox beat the Cubs in the WS. Now, I realize that many Sox fans would rather not risk the chance that the Cubs would make it through the playoffs while we wouldn't, but I guess I'm willing to take the chance.

However, ignoring that argument/reason, I'd still rather have the Cubs stay in the race for most of the season. The way things are going, they'll be out of it by Memorial Day. Many of those irritating fans you mention will simply start showing up on the south side and claim that they are die-hard Sox fans. If we continue to play well, the media will jump on the bandwagon -- particularly if the Cubs are out of it. While we'll like that at first, I don't really want the Sox to turn into just another version of the lovable Cubbies. If the Cubs stay in it, many of those fans will probably stay at Wrigley and in the bars around there. I know that there's a trade off here; you need casual fans to increase the attendance. I just don't want to be the current version of the Cubbies.

Look at the 2000 season and you'll find this wasn't the case. The Flubs were a .400 team that year (that's bad, in case you didn't know), yet drew 2.8 million fans. I see no reason why this year would be any different, should the Flubs suck again. Hell, the Flubs will still probably officially come close to 3 million come hell or high water.

The Sox will draw more casual/annoying fans if they continue to play well, and that's an unavoidable fact of modern sports. But to root for the Flubs because you fear their fans coming over to our side or because you want to beat them head to head in the WS? Nuh uh. If there's October glory to be had in this town, I want it to be all the Sox's.

I haven't forgotten how the media in this city lost its compass in the fall of 2003 and basically became the quasi official publicity arm of the lovable Flubbies, with lots of "we" talk going on from giddy Trixies and Chads serving as anchorpersons. I want to again witness such scenes as the "What's the attendance at Wrigley today?" signs being held at the Cell in 2000. I want to be able to rub it in their annoying fans' collective grille.

soxtalker
05-05-2005, 05:56 PM
The Sox have gone 4-1 vs. eventual div champ Minnesota.

That's good, but there are a lot of games left to play. IIRC, we started off well against Minnesota last year, too. The next few weeks with games against the East will be important.

maurice
05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Close. But the last line will read:

White Sox Bats Cold, Muster Only Two Hits in Shaky Gift-Wrapped Win in Front of Sparse, Socioeconomically Downtrodden Crowd

Plus, a column on how the game proves that the cubs were brilliant for letting Sisco walk for nothing while retaining the great Angel Guzman.

HITMEN OF 77
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Good job by Paulie to lead off the 8th with a walk. Even though he's in a slump, he's still patient the plate.

JB98
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Milwaukee has a excellent first baseman in Lyle Overbay. They wouldn't have been interested in Konerko.

You don't think C. Lee goes through slumps? Check his batting average. He just broke out of a bad slump in the series vs. the Cubs.

Paulie is going to be just fine. A few weeks ago, we wanted to run Crede out of town. Then, he picked it up. Then, we wanted Dye gone. Now, Jermaine is starting to contribute. Eventually, Paul will too. I wish people on this board would be more patient with slumping players.

chisox77
05-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Was at the game today - the weather was great and the Sox won (2-0 record for me at the Cell so far - next game, 5/18 against Texas)

This kind of reminded me of the 4-0 win the Sox had over the Yankees in 1990, when Andy Hawkins pitched a no-hitter and lost. (1990 record - 94-68)

Anyway, it was a crisp game with lots of sun and great pitching. I will take a 21-7 record any time.
:cool:

mdep524
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Good job by Paulie to lead off the 8th with a walk. Even though he's in a slump, he's still patient the plate. Definitely. Grenkie owns Paulie, yet Paulie fought his way to first with a walk. That was, obviousy, huge.

krohnjw
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM
WHEW!!! Gonna need a few :gulp: :gulp:

Shingo just doesn't have his control right now. Let's hope he can pick it back up here or I would be in favor or some "rehab" work to try to get that control back.

Nard
05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
That's good, but there are a lot of games left to play. IIRC, we started off well against Minnesota last year, too. The next few weeks with games against the East will be important.

We started off well against them last year because we had Maggs, PK, Frank, Carlos, and Valentin at full strength and were winning games 17-7.

This is a new team, new style, it's the real deal, and it's HERE TO STAY, BABY. GO SOX.

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

Wsoxmike59
05-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Speaking of getting a break... folks I'm telling you, this is 1990 all over again. Winning in the most bizarre, unusual ways. winning games with players who aren't 'household' names.

It's deja vu all over again.

Now let's go get em' in Toronto.

Lip

I'm with you on this one Lip, and what's going to make this season even nicer is that there is no powerhouse Oakland A type of team in our division that's going to block our path on the way to the division title.

The Sox were doin' the little things in 1990....In 2005 let's http://www.4angelsjewelry.com/sitebuilder/images/_CL_Git_R_Done-144x126.png

soxfan123
05-05-2005, 09:09 PM
I think Shingo is getting back into his 2004 form. He looks more confident with his command and the frisbee.

I just can't stand DJ and that other bozo in the booth. I want Hawk back!

And now, the banana...:bandance:

C-Dawg
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I haven't forgotten how the media in this city lost its compass in the fall of 2003 and basically became the quasi official publicity arm of the lovable Flubbies.

You raise a good point. I When the Sox were in the playoffs in 2000, I don't think there was 1/10th the attention from the local and national media compared to what the Cubs got in 2003. Either that or my memory of those 2000 playoffs games is finally fading.

CubsSuckSoBad
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Screaming at the television everytime he comes onto the field...

Im sorry but I do NOT feel comfortable with him as our closer this year...

I couldnt believe a little while ago when he gave up three solo home runs...back to back to back to the Indians....in the ninth...

Make the change ozzie....Hermanson...

:gulp:

flo-B-flo
05-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Screaming at the television everytime he comes onto the field...

I couldnt believe a little while ago when he gave up three solo home runs...back to back to back to the Indians....in the ninth... REALLY shaky outing. Is he turning into Takochsu?

balke
05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
If DH didn't pitch last night, he might have been out there today. It was hard to watch, and risky... but Takatsu got the job done. As long as we have 3 guys that can do it, I'm happy. Marte, Shingo, and Dustin are all good for now. I just don't like seeing Shingo with a 1 run lead, and 3 outs to go.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Dude, he's 8 out of 9 in saves - not many teams can boast a guy like that. And a lot of them have been one run games. I say the end justifies the means. Forget the high ERA and the walks, and look instead at the final result.

I couldnt believe a little while ago when he gave up three solo home runs...back to back to back to the Indians....in the ninth...
Okay, first of all not true. He managed to record two outs sandwiched between those home runs. And secondly, in case you haven't noticed, we're 19-6 since then. Get over it, already. Or will you still be complaining about the Oakland umps when the Sox are 42-14?

jabrch
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM
We just keep finding ways to win. Next thing you know we will win a game when we are No-Hit... That could NEVER happen.

I just think this team is so cool to watch since they are so versaitile. They hit, they pitch, they walk, they run, they slug, they relive, they close, they ducksnort...whatever it takes - they do.

FarWestChicago
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't know about you, but a Cubs loss is as good as a Sox win to me...Then you aren't a Sox fan.

FarWestChicago
05-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Okay, first of all not true. He managed to record two outs sandwiched between those home runs. And secondly, in case you haven't noticed, we're 19-6 since then. Get over it, already. Or will you still be complaining about the Oakland umps when the Sox are 42-14?Look at the guy's username. We're not dealing with Einstein here. :rolleyes:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Then you aren't a Sox fan.
West:
This guy has taken pages of grief for making that post...

...but no one summed it up as succinctly as you just did. :thumbsup:

FarWestChicago
05-05-2005, 11:21 PM
West:
This guy has taken pages of grief for making that post...

...but no one summed it up as succinctly as you just did. :thumbsup:LOL, I like to keep things concise and simple. :D:

slavko
05-06-2005, 04:10 PM
If DH didn't pitch last night, he might have been out there today. It was hard to watch, and risky... but Takatsu got the job done. As long as we have 3 guys that can do it, I'm happy. Marte, Shingo, and Dustin are all good for now. I just don't like seeing Shingo with a 1 run lead, and 3 outs to go.

He doesn't have his pinpoint control any more....He doesn't have his don't walk the tying run control...He doesn't have ANY control...and the problem has been there except for the middle of last season. His stuff still moves and that's why he is still better than Koch throwing 90 MPH straight-as-a-string getmeover fastballs. Calling Don Cooper.....

CubsSuckSoBad
05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Ozzie doesnt even feel comfortable with him being the closer; if he did, there would no committee closing games....

Throw that frisbee somewhere else...

:dtroll: