PDA

View Full Version : These Kids Can't hit Slow Balls!!!

Tekijawa
05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Interesting Study:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20050505/sc_space/studyfindskidscanthitslowpitches

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Hmmm.....and in ST it was reported that Shingo had "added something" to is fastball, and proceeded to get it crushed when the season opened. Looks like that theory carries over to the big leagues, slow it down fellas!

Iwritecode
05-05-2005, 03:52 PM
My kids always seem to swing after the ball is already past them. I don't think throwing it faster will help... :?:

Banix12
05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Really interesting. I was kinda the same way in little league, when someone threw me something really slow I had trouble with it, but I crushed fastballs. I remember one day in batting practice I swung and missed 10 times on slowballs, I screamed at the pitcher to throw me some heat, and I proceeded to crush 5 hits to deep Left.

Cool study, now I see why.

Tekijawa
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I throw my 6,7 and 8 year old Nieces and Nephews breaking balls in the Dirt. If they can't hit them I scream at them until they start crying. If they do hit a couple of them in a row you can bet the next one will be in their EAR! It's tough love but Multi-Million-Dollar Ball Players aren't made by taking it easy!!! Their parents will thank me one day!

Iwritecode
05-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Really interesting. I was kinda the same way in little league, when someone threw me something really slow I had trouble with it, but I crushed fastballs. I remember one day in batting practice I swung and missed 10 times on slowballs, I screamed at the pitcher to throw me some heat, and I proceeded to crush 5 hits to deep Left.

Cool study, now I see why.

I never really had a problem with slow stuff. Probably because only 5% of the pitchers I ever faced actually had any "heat".

The only difference is that the ball seems to travel farther when it's thrown harder. :D:

Tekijawa
05-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I think a great example of this is the differences in the two pitching staffs in this town. One is loaded with flame throwers and the other isn't. One has the best record in base ball and the other on has the best fans in baseball.

jdm2662
05-05-2005, 06:33 PM
My claim to fame in my baseball days as a kid was getting beemed on the foot and wrist in the same game against the fastest pitcher in the league. Then, I faced a new pitcher my third time up, and sure enough, I get hit in the back. I had nice stich marks on my hand for two weeks.

Oh yeah, the subject at hand. Didn't matter for me. I never could hit the ball out of the infield. If it weren't for the fact I was a sprinter, I would've never gotten a hit...
________
Granny Fat (http://www.****tube.com/categories/649/fat/videos/1)

Banix12
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
My claim to fame in my baseball days as a kid was getting beemed on the foot and wrist in the same game against the fastest pitcher in the league. Then, I faced a new pitcher my third time up, and sure enough, I get hit in the back. I had nice stich marks on my hand for two weeks.

Nice injury, my best injury was when I was 10 I was on 3rd and a ball got past the catcher, this kid who had to weigh over 200 pounds at 10-11 years of age, I break for home but the ball bounces right back to the catcher off the backstop. I slide under him, take out his legs and accidentally trip him up. He loses his balance and his butt lands on my face, knocking me unconscious for about five minutes. After some smelling salts I wake up, get carried off the field and I fill out an injury insurance form for the little league. The woman asks, "what hit him, the bat? the ball?" I reply with the name of the catcher. Her reply "OH MY GOD! WILL HE LIVE!"

On a positive note though, I was safe and scored the winning run getting the game ball.

Huisj
05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Nice injury, my best injury was when I was 10 I was on 3rd and a ball got past the catcher, this kid who had to weigh over 200 pounds at 10-11 years of age, I break for home but the ball bounces right back to the catcher off the backstop. I slide under him, take out his legs and accidentally trip him up. He loses his balance and his butt lands on my face, knocking me unconscious for about five minutes. After some smelling salts I wake up, get carried off the field and I fill out an injury insurance form for the little league. The woman asks, "what hit him, the bat? the ball?" I reply with the name of the catcher. Her reply "OH MY GOD! WILL HE LIVE!"

On a positive note though, I was safe and scored the winning run getting the game ball.

I got nailed in the cup with a 1-hopper line drive playing third base in high school. I somehow threw the guy out, but i just kind of collapsed limp on the ground after that and had to leave the game. When I got home, by cup had a crack in it.

samram
05-06-2005, 12:36 AM
I got nailed in the cup with a 1-hopper line drive playing third base in high school. I somehow threw the guy out, but i just kind of collapsed limp on the ground after that and had to leave the game. When I got home, by cup had a crack in it.

When I was nine, I was warming up in the outfield before a traveling all-star game in Lombard, and I hadn't played on a field with an outfield fence until that point, so it didn't occur to me to pay attention to it. I dove toward the fence for a ball, somehow my glove came off, and one of the spokes on the bottom of the fence went about 1/2 inch deep into my left hand. I took about 6 stitches and I can still tell the exact spot where it entered 17 years later and there's still a tiny bit of swelling on the edge of my hand below the pinky.

jdm2662
05-06-2005, 01:00 AM

And that's all that matters...

When I get beemed the third time, I just laughed and went to first base. It was almost like I was expected to get hit...
________
Marijuana Vaporizers (http://weedvaporizer.info/)

pudge
05-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I love how this turned into a Little League injury thread. I actually stayed healthy in LL, but just a couple years ago in an adult league, I was playing 3B and a guy was trying to steal third.... we had him nailed by a mile, but when I tagged him I shattered the bone in my middle finger. The ball popped out of my glove and the idiot tried to run home. I grabbed the ball with my un-shattered hand and tagged him out in the rundown. Then I proceeded to collapse in pain.

NWSox
05-07-2005, 02:56 AM
I couldn't hit fast or slow balls. I was so bad at the plate that my coaches consistently gave me the bunt sign with two strikes. At first, I would do a double take to make sure I saw the sign correctly, but after awhile, I just expected it.