PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Poll: Fans Know Whats Up

BRDSR
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
The Tribune runs a poll everyday on the back of its sports section everday, and today's question was "Pick the top pitcher in Chicago." The results were as follows:

32% said Jon Garland
28.1% said Mark Buehrle
12.8 said Freddy Garcia
10.9% said Mark Prior
10.7% said Orlando Hernandez
5.0% said Carlos Zambrano

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or not that Kerry Wood isn't on the list. In any case, the fans in this town seem to be understanding something that the media is not. The White Sox rotation is without a doubt better than the Cubs.

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Gee... I wonder how that happened...:D:

LVSoxFan
05-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh well that goes without saying this year. The Cubs' staff has been decimated by injuries and everything else.

Wood's career may be ending, Prior's skittish and his elbow is a question mark... when your #1 and #2 guys are getting pounded or going on the DL, you've got big problems. Zambrano's good but he's not getting the run support.

And their bullpen is a joke.

But wow: to see the Sox staff leading a Chicago poll: cool!

So when do the bandwagon jumpers start showing up at the Cell? I'm getting nervous, honestly...

SSN721
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Gee... I wonder how that happened...:D:

I'm sure nobody here had anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

ondafarm
05-05-2005, 01:11 PM
The 'Top pitcher in Chicago'

It's gotta be the most recent one cleaned and stowed at the Signature Room. When I'm there I always ask for a pitcher of beer and the wait staff snicker about hauling it up 95 stories.

Hitmen77
05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
... Zambrano's good but he's not getting the run support...

Not only that, but he keeps getting himself ejected from games!

iwcup
05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh well that goes without saying this year. The Cubs' staff has been decimated by injuries and everything else.

Wood's career may be ending, Prior's skittish and his elbow is a question mark... when your #1 and #2 guys are getting pounded or going on the DL, you've got big problems. Zambrano's good but he's not getting the run support.

And their bullpen is a joke.

But wow: to see the Sox staff leading a Chicago CUBUNE poll: cool!

So when do the bandwagon jumpers start showing up at the Cell? I'm getting nervous, honestly...

Had to edit, noting that it was the mighty mighty trib coming out with this poll... reasership must be down, or someone lost a bet for them to print this...

Kudos to the Sox pitching, defense and hopefully soon the 4-5-6 hitters...

elrod
05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
After today, I'd have to say it's Contreras.:wink:

DSpivack
05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
After today, I'd have to say it's Contreras.:wink:

Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, El Duque, Contreras.

It's just so hard to pick!

chaotic8512
05-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I remember having an argument with a Cubs fan, where I had to defend my claim about how the Cubs rotation was at least equal to the White Sox.... if their pitchers were not injured. Getting no support from anyone was discouraging, but hell, I am LOVING this start! Hopefully I'll get to see Garcia, El Duque, AND Contreras in Tampa after I finish up school here in Atlanta... nothing like a steady diet of Tigers, Royals, Blue Jays, and Devil Rays to get May started out right! :D:

Viva Medias B's
05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Mike Murphy on WSCR is thinking that we stuffed the ballot box, essentially arguing that this poll is invalid?

mr_genius
05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Mike Murphy on WSCR is thinking that we stuffed the ballot box, essentially arguing that this poll is invalid?

sore loser

A. Cavatica
05-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I, personally, was responsible for about 6000 votes.

Someone else (undoubtedly one of you) catapulted Garland out to a huge lead, and I made it my personal mission to keep Buehrle, Garcia, & Hernandez ahead of Prior & Zambrano. Alas, Prior must have had a late sympathy vote...

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 10:46 PM

A. Cavatica I, personally, was responsible for about 6000 votes.

I don't know where he got that idea. :cool:

jabrch
05-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I, personally, was responsible for about 6000 votes.

Someone else (undoubtedly one of you) catapulted Garland out to a huge lead, and I made it my personal mission to keep Buehrle, Garcia, & Hernandez ahead of Prior & Zambrano. Alas, Prior must have had a late sympathy vote...

How do you guys do that? Is there a cookie that you go back and delete? Do you block cookies? (Would that then not make the vote count?)

Just curious...

PM me details...

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 10:52 PM
This is a case of cheating makes it right.

MUsoxfan
05-06-2005, 03:59 AM

That actually never crossed Murph's mind until his producer brought it up. Murph truely believed for a few minutes that Chicago's fandom was undergoing a shift until his producer told him that the results "may or may not be skewed due to internet message boards". He said even if that is the case, then Cubs fans didn't care enough to vote.

A. Cavatica
05-06-2005, 09:28 AM
That actually never crossed Murph's mind until his producer brought it up. Murph truely believed for a few minutes that Chicago's fandom was undergoing a shift until his producer told him that the results "may or may not be skewed due to internet message boards". He said even if that is the case, then Cubs fans didn't care enough to vote.

Cubs fans are too stupid to understand baseball, much less figure out how to hack a Tribune poll.

DSpivack
05-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I remember having an argument with a Cubs fan, where I had to defend my claim about how the Cubs rotation was at least equal to the White Sox.... if their pitchers were not injured. Getting no support from anyone was discouraging, but hell, I am LOVING this start! Hopefully I'll get to see Garcia, El Duque, AND Contreras in Tampa after I finish up school here in Atlanta... nothing like a steady diet of Tigers, Royals, Blue Jays, and Devil Rays to get May started out right! :D:

Where do you go in Atlanta?