PDA

View Full Version : New Contract might be what Paulie needs

05-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Just a thought and I know he is a warm weather hitter, but do you think Paulie is trying too hard because he knows he is in a contract year? Maybe if the Sox get him locked in now, he may settle down and get back to basics...or he could have a reverse effect and play not as hard because he knows he is locked in...but I don't see him being that kinda person...if the Sox know they are going to sign him, then lets get it over with now and avoid another Maggs distraction

JRIG
05-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Just a thought and I know he is a warm weather hitter, but do you think Paulie is trying too hard because he knows he is in a contract year? Maybe if the Sox get him locked in now, he may settle down and get back to basics...or he could have a reverse effect and play not as hard because he knows he is locked in...but I don't see him being that kinda person...if the Sox know they are going to sign him, then lets get it over with now and avoid another Maggs distraction

What Paulie needs is a swift kick in the pants and a reminder that maybe Carl Everett could take his first base job when Frank returns.

Signing this guy to another long-term deal is just bonkers.

A. Cavatica
05-05-2005, 09:58 AM
What Paulie needs is a swift kick in the pants and a reminder that maybe Carl Everett could take his first base job when Frank returns.

Agreed.

wdelaney72
05-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Contract or not, he needs to perform better. I don't see him getting new paper until the off-season.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Contract or not, he needs to perform better. I don't see him getting new paper until the off-season.If he wakes up and starts hitting, then maybe in August. Not now.

lowesox
05-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Agreed. If I was Ozzie, I'd have Crazy Carl working out at First Base every day until Frank gets back.

tstrike2000
05-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe if we start trade rumors about him he'll wake up. Konerko, Cotts, and PTBNL for Aubrey Huff.

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 10:34 AM

He's got to be pressing, it's only normal for every hitter that is going through a slump. If I remember correctly he started last year or two years ago off somewhat cold but then turned it on after the All-Star Break. I have no worries in Paulie and when Frank comes back to add another potent bat to the line-up it will only help out #14 in getting the right pitches to knock for base hits. He is taking the right mentality to the plate and just nothing is falling.

I just have a thought or guess for this afternoon... we are going to see at least one set of fireworks due to PK's bat.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Maybe if we start trade rumors about him he'll wake up. Konerko, Cotts, and PTBNL for Aubrey Huff.

The only part of your message that should be in teal/deeppink is what the Sox would need to give up for Huff.

I am all for getting Huff, but he's going to cost more than what many people here are willing to send in return.

The only new contract Paulie needs is what some other team foolishly would give him this December. There is no point in overpaying for underproduction, particularly when the Sox could get better production for less money if they got Huff.

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
:KW
"4 years, $10M it's the best I can do unless you start hitting like you should be."

:walnuts
"I am feeling oddly motivated..."

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
He's got to be pressing, it's only normal for every hitter that is going through a slump. If I remember correctly he started last year or two years ago off somewhat cold but then turned it on after the All-Star Break. I have no worries in Paulie and when Frank comes back to add another potent bat to the line-up it will only help out #14 in getting the right pitches to knock for base hits. He is taking the right mentality to the plate and just nothing is falling.

I just have a thought or guess for this afternoon... we are going to see at least one set of fireworks due to PK's bat.

When he comes up to the plate with men in scoring position and less than two outs, perhaps he needs to think long fly ball instead of liner/grounder. Opposing infields can play uber deep knowing they will have no problem forcing the two-toed sloth that is Konerko out at first. If he went for the long fly, at least he'd get an RBI when Podsednik or Iguchi is on third, instead of the unassisted 5, 5-4-3 or 6-4-3 double play. It's not so much that he's making outs; we all could live with outs that score the run or advance the runner. It's that he's making two rally-killing outs with alarming frequency that is so disturbing and frustrating.

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
When he comes up to the plate with men in scoring position and less than two outs, perhaps he needs to think long fly ball instead of liner/grounder. Opposing infields can play uber deep knowing they will have no problem forcing the two-toed sloth that is Konerko out at first. If he went for the long fly, at least he'd get an RBI when Podsednik or Iguchi is on third, instead of the unassisted 5, 5-4-3 or 6-4-3 double play. It's not so much that he's making outs; we all could live with outs that score the run or advance the runner. It's that he's making two rally-killing outs with alarming frequency that is so disturbing and frustrating.

His final at bat last night he finally went the other way. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it was good to see. PK is so dangerous when he takes what the pitcher gives him and doesn't swing for the fences ever time. Hopefully he is coming out of the funk caused by his hot start.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
funk caused by his hot start.

:o:
Voodoo, I don't mean to pick on your phrase one bit, because you may be on to something.

Konerko may be the most oxymoronic player in the history of White Sox baseball.

He's an enigma wrapped within a riddle inside a mystery.

So if his hot start causes a funk...would his funk result in a hot streak? :cool:

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Every year in Los Angeles, we have the "June Gloom". It's an annual onshore breeze that gives us overcast, cool days. And every year, by the middle of July, we wish we had more of the June gloom.

Every year on the southside of Chicago there is the May moans. Paul Konerko discovers that he is completely overmatched for a period of three weeks or so. Then he comes out of it and resumes his (admittantly) slow but decent assult on opposition pitchers.

Konerko will recover and in a couple of weeks we can find someone else to vent our wrath upon.

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 11:02 AM
:o:
Voodoo, I don't mean to pick on your phrase one bit, because you may be on to something.

Konerko may be the most oxymoronic player in the history of White Sox baseball.

He's an enigma wrapped within a riddle inside a mystery.

So if his hot start causes a funk...would his funk result in a hot streak? :cool:

Only if he changes his mindset. Maybe I wasn't clear. I think Paulie got away from being a complete hitter because he jacked out 7 HR in the first few weeks and led the league. I think it got in his head and he started swinging for the fences. Maybe he thinks that's what he is supposed to do as the clenup hitter. Maybe the 41 he hit last year wound him up. Maybe the articles about the Sox having no power messed with his head. Maybe he thinks the way to get rich is to hit HR (now where would he get that idea :rolleyes: ).

Like I said - he hit the ball the other way last night one time at the end. Hopefully he keeps doing it. Then he might break out of his funk...

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Only if he changes his mindset. Maybe I wasn't clear. I think Paulie got away from being a complete hitter because he jacked out 7 HR in the first few weeks and led the league. I think it got in his head and he started swinging for the fences. Maybe he thinks that's what he is supposed to do as the clenup hitter. Maybe the 41 he hit last year wound him up. Maybe the articles about the Sox having no power messed with his head. Maybe he thinks the way to get rich is to hit HR (now where would he get that idea :rolleyes: ).

Like I said - he hit the ball the other way last night one time at the end. Hopefully he keeps doing it. Then he might break out of his funk...

Voodoo, you were perfectly clear. It's Paulie who we can't understand!
:cool:

Randar68
05-05-2005, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if I'm more freightened by the though of Konerko hitting at the Mendoza line all season, or seeing Carl at 1st base...

YIKES!

Randar68
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

The last thing the Sox need to do is sign Konerko to any kind of contract extension and commit money to someone who is already overpaid for having produced a whopping 2 combined "good seasons" out of 8 career full seasons in the league.

NO THANKS. Better 1B help can be had for cheaper, friends. Committing more money to Konerko is beyond stupid, IMO.

tstrike2000
05-05-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure if I'm more freightened by the though of Konerko hitting at the Mendoza line all season, or seeing Carl at 1st base...

True. We're also concerned about Carl playing anywhere in the field which will probably just be a harsh reality when Hurt comes back. Hopefully, it won't be back to some of the tinkering of 99-03.

Randar68
05-05-2005, 11:50 AM
True. We're also concerned about Carl playing anywhere in the field which will probably just be a harsh reality when Hurt comes back. Hopefully, it won't be back to some of the tinkering of 99-03.

I think the only place they could comfortably play Carl is LF. Frank is going to need 2-3 days off a week IMO. So Carl DH's those days and plays one or 2 games in LF a week with Dye or Rowand or Pods taking days off when he does.

StepsInSC
05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone (redundant I know): Someone plays crappy so give 'em a large contract...?:?:

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I think the only place they could comfortably play Carl is LF. Frank is going to need 2-3 days off a week IMO. So Carl DH's those days and plays one or 2 games in LF a week with Dye or Rowand or Pods taking days off when he does.

Randar, would you follow the stats and give Frank every possible start at DH at the Cell and lump his off days during road trips?

Consider Frank's 3-year splits:
Home: .274 AVG, .398 OBP, .632 SLG, 1.030 OPS
Away: .250 AVG, .377 OBP, .416 SLG, .793 OPS

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
The last thing the Sox need to do is sign Konerko to any kind of contract extension and commit money to someone who is already overpaid for having produced a whopping 2 combined "good seasons" out of 8 career full seasons in the league.

NO THANKS. Better 1B help can be had for cheaper, friends. Committing more money to Konerko is beyond stupid, IMO.I'm not sure of your definition of "good season". Other than 2003 he's hit between .277 and .304 and put up about 100 RBI every year he's been with the Sox.

Randar68
05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Randar, would you follow the stats and give Frank every possible start at DH at the Cell and lump his off days during road trips?

Consider Frank's 3-year splits:
Home: .274 AVG, .398 OBP, .632 SLG, 1.030 OPS
Away: .250 AVG, .377 OBP, .416 SLG, .793 OPS

It's an idea, but the problem with this is I believe Frank is going to need rest regularly, so the way home-stands and road-trips work, that will give him things like 6-8 days in a row at home, then 5-10 days of not playing at all. I think he's going to only be able to go 2 or 3 games in a row without getting a day off.

Randar68
05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure of your definition of "good season". Other than 2003 he's hit between .277 and .304 and put up about 100 RBI every year he's been with the Sox.

Pre All-Star: .328-20-71 w/ a .950 OPS
Post All-Star: .270-7-33 w/ a .734 OPS

Pre All-Star: .197-5-22 w/ a .567OPS
Post All-Star: .275-13-43 w/ a .853 OPS

Pre All-Star: .297-22-59 w/ a .951 OPS
Post All-Star: .258-19-58 w/ a .835 OPS

2005 (so-far)
Pre All-Star: .194-7-17 w/ a .740 OPS

Keep in mind this is for a 1st baseman making 8 million dollars. He's well on his way to his 3rd absolutely catastrophic half-season in the last 4 years. He's had 2 spectacular halves, and the rest are generally pretty damned mediocre numbers for a 1st baseman.

BRDSR
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM

No. He can't. Where do people get off here thinking that Carl Everett can play first base? Where do you people find the evidence for this? Since breaking into the major leagues in 1993 with the Florida Marlins Carl Everett has played for seven different teams in over 1,200 games and he has played this many at first base:

Carl Everett will not replace Paul Konerko at first base. Please. I've been hearing it since January. It will not happen. It is more likely that Frank Thomas will replace Paul Konerko than that Carl Everett will.

Furthermore, Paul Konerko has been hitting the ball hard the last four games. Starting with the line-drive double play to third base on Saturday, PK has been hitting some real hard balls all over the ballfield. I expect him to break out soon.

gosox41
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM

PK needs to get his act together soon. There's no reason for this slump except for the fact that he does this every year (except 2004).

Just wondering where all the PK supporters are now that want to sign him to a contract for slightly less then what Aramis Ramirez got.

Bob

Randar68
05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Furthermore, Paul Konerko has been hitting the ball hard the last four games. Starting with the line-drive double play to third base on Saturday, PK has been hitting some real hard balls all over the ballfield. I expect him to break out soon.

Well, I guess we need to come up with a stat for "Hits the ball hard but still 0-fer-23." He hasn't had a HR since mid-April and has only 4 hits since April 21st (12 games)...

On top of that, Paul has a history of having absolutely catastrophic half-seasons here. Don't patronize us by saying "he's hitting the ball hard". There is legitimate cause for concern going forward.

ondafarm
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Konerko will hit; only he, Greg Walker and Ozzie Guillen need to worry about what adjustments he needs to make.

I wish he wasn't killing so many rallies but that comes in waves, just like homers.

Randar68
05-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I wish he wasn't killing so many rallies but that comes in waves, just like homers.

It seems like he's made about 30 outs in this 0-for-23 streak, doesn't it? It's almost automatic anytime he comes up with a guy on 1st base...

crector
05-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Perhaps we could trade Konerko and a pitcher or 2 to Cincinnati for their 1B Sean Casey. Now, there's a guy who's been a steady hitter over the years.

DickAllen72
05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I like Paulie, and I'm confident he will begin to hit.

But the truth is, he's already overpaid at $8million/yr. If he wants to sign say a three year extension at a home town discount for $6million/yr. or so, I say do it. Otherwise, let him go via free agency at the end of the year unless someone wants to overpay for him via a trade at the deadline.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Signing him to an extention doesn't make any sense at this juncture, as has already been described in this thread.

The guy is too one dimensionally inconsistant to warrant another big contract from the Sox. I like him and everything, but 1B is the easiest position to fill. Carlos Delgado could have been had in December this year for not breaking the bank...IIRC. That is who we need. A lefty power hitting 1B whose nickname isn'st GIDPaul.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Perhaps we could trade Konerko and a pitcher or 2 to Cincinnati for their 1B Sean Casey. Now, there's a guy who's been a steady hitter over the years.

Sean Casey is OK...but I want Aubrey Huff. Can play 3B or 1B, and pretty well. If Paulie does decide to hit, that is a nice problem to have with Huff.