PDA

View Full Version : Espn Insider: Scotty Po Overrated

Banix12
05-05-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't get ESPN insider but I saw this on another message board.

From Espn.com

Left field: Scott Podsednik

Calling Scott Podsednik overrated is like saying stunned fish in a barrel are easy targets. The former Brewers flash-in-the-pan at age 27 was grossly overhyped in 2003; his sophomore season was indicative of his true ability (.244 Avg, .313 OBP, .364 Slg). If Podsednik were a great fly catcher playing in a park with a cavernous center field, he might be worth starting. Except that he's only average-plus in the outfield and he's now been shifted to left field, where his balsa wood bat is not even close to adequate.

I usually wouldn't post this here because it's the usual ESPN garbage but one line caught my attention....

Except that he's only average-plus in the outfield

Is that a fancy way of saying "above average outfielder", but with a negative tone? First time I ever saw someone say a player is overrated but also "above average" in the same piece. Nice of them to not mention his stolen base totals and OBP this season as well, but hey, I nitpick.

Sox of White
05-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah, that is pretty rediculous. Podsednik is an excellent fielder and an even better leadoff hitter. Leading the league in steals last year, and on his way to doing the same this year is not being overrated. I personally saw him steal third today and it lead to Iguchi stealing second after a walk. That is exactly what a leadoff hitter does for his team, create opportunities. Go Scottie! Do not listen to ESPN.

elrod
05-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Podsednik provides more than stats reveal. He absolutely tantalizes young pitchers. Remember the balk and wild pitch by Greinke in KC? All Pods. Even when he doesn't steal, he's a threat. With the power up and down the lineup (with Uribe healthy especially), we don't need power from Podsednik. I'd rather have a balsa wood hitter that doinks in singles all the time than a strikeout king.

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 02:01 AM
So far he's been a positive for us, especially on the basepaths. I liked that steal of third tonight.

But the article is about defense, Podsednik has a less than spectacular arm, runners can and do take an extra base on him. He also likes to play in rather than deep, figuring that he can run down fly balls. I suspect that may result in doubles that could have been flyouts. It does give him a better chance to get to short flies.

StillMissOzzie
05-05-2005, 02:13 AM
WhiteSoxInteractive: ESPN Insider is highly overated.

SMO
:gulp:

TheOldRoman
05-05-2005, 02:26 AM
But the article is about defense, Podsednik has a less than spectacular arm, runners can and do take an extra base on him.

So, you're saying left field is the perfect position for him? The huge majority of runners taggin up on left fielder would be going home, and they would go home whether or not the LF has an arm unless its really short. He might not be THE BEST LF or CF, but he is more than adequate, and will certainly save many hits that Carlos Lee let drop.

MIgrenade
05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
I am beginning to truly believe ESPN is embarrassed by how wrong they were about the White Sox and they use whatever they can to continue their original prediction. If the Sox continue what they are doing (please God), ESPN will be proven to be the morons that they are.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Wow. A FAR cry from the setiments when the trade was made. I'd like to pat myself on the back for being the first to defend this guy when the trade was made:yup::D:

Banix12
05-05-2005, 03:05 AM
So far he's been a positive for us, especially on the basepaths. I liked that steal of third tonight.

But the article is about defense, Podsednik has a less than spectacular arm, runners can and do take an extra base on him. He also likes to play in rather than deep, figuring that he can run down fly balls. I suspect that may result in doubles that could have been flyouts. It does give him a better chance to get to short flies.

I don't know about the doubles that would have been flyouts, though i can see how it could happen. You are right about the arm, he's never had a strong arm. However he hits the cut-off man and since Uribe is the cut-off man it kinda makes up the difference in arm strength. Still the writer was complaining that he was "average-plus" which is still above average i guess. Just a dumb argument when you're saying a guy is overated.

I think i understand why he chose Scott. he seems to be doing this by position and he's going through a every starting LF in the league and Scott is an easy target because he's a slap hitter in a position that is traditionally reserved for power. It's a dumb argument, we get power from other positions that make up for his lack of it, and he does other things that don't show up in the box score. He's a national writer so the only thing he relys on to make his decision are box scores and the occasional scouting report. he doesn't actually watch the games, since he really never has the time to watch them all.

But then again, who cares, overrated/underrated arguments never go anywhere constructive, and we should all just be happy this writer put him as a LF instead of CF like most writers do.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2005, 03:07 AM
But then again, who cares, overrated/underrated arguments never go anywhere constructive, and we should all just be happy this writer put him as a LF instead of CF like most writers do.

Grinder baseball rule #2: Only one stat matters W

Mohoney
05-05-2005, 03:11 AM
With Cub season already being over by Cinco de Mayo, ESPN has to rip the Sox and call us a mirage to save their yuppie Chicago viewership for 5 more months.

Go ahead, Mike Greenberg, keep telling us that the Cubs have the best rotation in baseball.

Never mind the fact that 97 different pitchers have reached the 15 win plateau since Kerry Wood's career began. Never mind the fact that he finished UNDER .500 last year. Never mind the fact that 80% of our rotation has a better ERA than Mark Prior. Never mind the fact that Carlos Zambrano has been ejected in 3 of his past 18 games.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-05-2005, 06:40 AM
In their typical fashion, I watched SportsCenter this morning...and it took a good 20+ minutes before the Sox were mentioned. Granted, basketball playoffs, etc.,, but then, in order...

Barry Bonds Watch (I'm still waiting for the Frank Thomas daily update)
NYY Update
Kellen Winslow Update

Quick mention of the Sox win, BARELY any highlights, no segue to BBTN (Thank GOD), only HR shown was Crede's. Why, fellow WSI'ers, do we continue to even waste our time watching this drivel??

SSN721
05-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Why, fellow WSI'ers, do we continue to even waste our time watching this drivel??

Thats a good question. Masochistic value perhaps?:?:

joe_tansey2004
05-05-2005, 07:03 AM
ESPN has the East Coast bias. If Pods played for Boston or New York, they would consider him the greatest lead off man in the game. Since he plays for the Sox, he gets no props. Screw ESPN, Im sick of them.

woodenleg
05-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Calling Scott Podsednik overrated is like saying stunned fish in a barrel are easy targets.

Oh, they wish....

:rolleyes:

elrod
05-05-2005, 07:40 AM
ESPN has the East Coast bias. If Pods played for Boston or New York, they would consider him the greatest lead off man in the game. Since he plays for the Sox, he gets no props. Screw ESPN, Im sick of them.

And the Cubs play on the East Coast? Stop trying to play the regionalism game. ESPN treats the Cubs the same way they do Boston and New York. To be honest, they never gave much props to the Twins the last few years either. ESPN is all about "stars"and "popular teams".

Palehose13
05-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Wow. A FAR cry from the setiments when the trade was made. I'd like to pat myself on the back for being the first to defend this guy when the trade was made:yup::D:

Um...one of the firsts. There were a couple of us who were familiar with Podsednik's play that were all over the trade and defending it since day one. So don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. :wink:

But all that aside, it is nice to see that the board has done a 180 on their opinion of Scott. I hope that he has found a home on the south side of Chicago.

lowesox
05-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Podsednik has become one of my favourite White Sox. I love having a leadoff guy who can steal so many bases. In fact, I would go as far as to say that he's the key to our entire batting order. Seems to me, he's one of these players everybody is trying so desparately to discredit. But, just watch, if the White Sox make the playoffs and Podsednik performs the way he has been, everybody will change their tune.

wdelaney72
05-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Um...one of the firsts. There were a couple of us who were familiar with Podsednik's play that were all over the trade and defending it since day one. So don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. :wink:

But all that aside, it is nice to see that the board has done a 180 on their opinion of Scott. I hope that he has found a home on the south side of Chicago.

I also applauded this trade when it happened.

Just to be fair, though, I have on many occasions called Jose Contreras a huge mistake. I'm very glad he's proving me wrong. I hope he continues.

infohawk
05-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I am beginning to truly believe ESPN is embarrassed by how wrong they were about the White Sox and they use whatever they can to continue their original prediction. If the Sox continue what they are doing (please God), ESPN will be proven to be the morons that they are.

The sad thing is that, even if the Sox were to win the pennant/world series, the ESPN crew would simply say that they were a flash in the pan, one-in-a-million shot that overachieved beyond their abilities. Our response to that? "We don't care."

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 09:23 AM
The sad thing is that, even if the Sox were to win the pennant/world series, the ESPN crew would simply say that they were a flash in the pan, one-in-a-million shot that overachieved beyond their abilities. Our response to that? "We don't care.":boston Sure, they got hot and won 110 regular season games. But if their pitching and defense collapses and they don't hit, they won't have a chance in the playoffs.

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't get ESPN insider but I saw this on another message board.

I usually wouldn't post this here because it's the usual ESPN garbage but one line caught my attention....

Is that a fancy way of saying "above average outfielder", but with a negative tone? First time I ever saw someone say a player is overrated but also "above average" in the same piece. Nice of them to not mention his stolen base totals and OBP this season as well, but hey, I nitpick.

And you actually have to pay for this over-priced piece of crap service. They should probably update that sometime soon. The only thing ESPN Insider is good for is football or fantasy football. Much past that it's nothing special.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
According to ESPN's Insider, is 20-7 overrated?

Palehose13
05-05-2005, 10:18 AM
The sad thing is that, even if the Sox were to win the pennant/world series, the ESPN crew would simply say that they were a flash in the pan, one-in-a-million shot that overachieved beyond their abilities. Our response to that? "We don't care."

I'm fine with quietly building a dynasty. F'em. The only stat...hell the only THING that matters is this:

W

skottyj242
05-05-2005, 10:28 AM
I get ESPN Insider and this article was meant to be about Pod's fantasy value, they said he's not worth starting in a fantasy league unless steals are weighted heavily.

TDog
05-05-2005, 10:31 AM
How can Pods be overrated? All the media people rating him say he's worthless.

swanson24
05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_325392.jpg < "Guess What I don't care if you like me I only STOLE 70 BASES LAST YEAR!" (Imaginary quote from Pods)

dcb33
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I wonder when ESPN Insider will report that winning is overrated.

chaotic8512
05-05-2005, 11:10 AM
And the Cubs play on the East Coast? Stop trying to play the regionalism game. ESPN treats the Cubs the same way they do Boston and New York. To be honest, they never gave much props to the Twins the last few years either. ESPN is all about "stars"and "popular teams".

You know that "AL Central is the weakest division in baseball" drivel? That also applies in popularity... especially for us.

ESPN is the worst place to go for White Sox coverage... I was SHOCKED to see them on the front page of the MLB section this year. I bet the two occurrences this year has already topped last year's total. But yes, all they have is a bunch of negativity towards the Sox. Nevermind the fact that Pods has an OBP 40 points higher than last year's season mark. Nevermind the fact that he's second in the MLB in SB's, setting the tone for a WORKING change in the team's strategy.

faneidde
05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
:ozzie

"**** ESPN. They are the ones who are ****** overrated. I wouldn't wipe my *** with their ****** articles. Go **** yourself ESPN. I fart in their general direction and call their overrated request a silly thing."

mjharrison72
05-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Pods has a "balsa-wood bat," but the same network has been hyping Corey Patterson for the last two seasons. He hit .266 last year with freaking 168 strikeouts... what a great leadoff hitter!

mweflen
05-05-2005, 11:28 AM
I like watching Scotty as a player. But numbers are numbers - so far, he has been so-so. He shows flashes of putting it all together, but then gets a bit cold. Kind of reminds me of Ray Durham minus the pop. He should try to work more counts and take more walks.

It's hard not to see an argument for a platoon leadoff - Pods and Iguchi against right handers, with Uribe bringing up the rear; Iguchi and Uribe against lefties, with Pods bringing up the rear.

Either way though - I love having him in the leadoff hole over Willie, by a LONG shot. He actually knows how to use his speed. Willie is clueless.

jackbrohamer
05-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Who do they think is overrating him? Everyone recognizes his second wasn't nearly as productive as his first and that he's a bit of a question mark.

Palehose13
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I like watching Scotty as a player. But numbers are numbers - so far, he has been so-so. He shows flashes of putting it all together, but then gets a bit cold. Kind of reminds me of Ray Durham minus the pop. He should try to work more counts and take more walks.

:?:

Scott and Paulie lead the team in walks and are 8th in the AL in walks.

MUScholar21
05-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Either way though - I love having him in the leadoff hole over Willie, by a LONG shot. He actually knows how to use his speed. Willie is clueless.

What are you talking about?!?!?!?!?! I thought we WANTED lead off hitter to strikeout on high gas! <cough *C-Pat* cough>

mweflen
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
:?:

Scott and Paulie lead the team in walks and are 8th in the AL in walks.

I'm not saying he's doing a terrible job taking walks. but i'd like to see him take a few more, if he's going to fluctuate between a .250 and .275 BA all year.

MisterB
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM

It's hard not to see an argument for a platoon leadoff - Pods and Iguchi against right handers, with Uribe bringing up the rear; Iguchi and Uribe against lefties, with Pods bringing up the rear.

Pods' walk rate is second only to Derek Jeter among AL leadoff men, so I can't complain much about that. As for the platoon, Pods has hit better off lefties so far this season, and unless that changes drastically in the future, I wouldn't mess with the top of the lineup.

MIgrenade
05-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I think Pods goes up trying to get walks too often. That's fine at the beginning of the game but I think he needs to be more aggresive. He seems to get late inning hits because he gets agressive and doesn't just try to draw walks. What's important though is that they win and he gets on however he can.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm not saying he's doing a terrible job taking walks. but i'd like to see him take a few more, if he's going to fluctuate between a .250 and .275 BA all year.

He is WAYYY above last years pace so I wouldn't expect much more. If he can get the average to .270, that would be perfect.

The Wimperoo
05-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I just want to see him hit the ball hard. He hit that one in the gap last night, but other than that I haven't really seen him hit a ball hard all year. He has a couple line shot basehits, but the majority are weak groundouts or weak flyouts.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
It's ESPN....so WHO CARES?

Lip

Palehose13
05-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Lip

Lip-

I'm starting to looooove your attitude. Winning is fun!

Mohoney
05-05-2005, 02:46 PM

I think the most important stat for a leadoff guy is simple: runs scored.

If this guy scores over 100 runs, I'll be thrilled, as I'm sure everybody else here will be.

mweflen
05-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I take it all back :) Scotty just walked in the go ahead run :D:

Palehose13
05-05-2005, 03:19 PM
I take it all back :) Scotty just walked in the go ahead run :D:

It's about time you came to your senses. :wink:

mweflen
05-05-2005, 03:21 PM
It's about time you came to your senses. :wink:

Hey, as I said, I love watching him as a player. I'd just like to see his OBP at around .375 or higher so I can have the pleasure of watching him on the basepaths even more.

Call me selfish:cool:

Huisj
05-05-2005, 03:25 PM
With Cub season already being over by Cinco de Mayo, ESPN has to rip the Sox and call us a mirage to save their yuppie Chicago viewership for 5 more months.

Go ahead, Mike Greenberg, keep telling us that the Cubs have the best rotation in baseball.

Never mind the fact that 97 different pitchers have reached the 15 win plateau since Kerry Wood's career began. Never mind the fact that he finished UNDER .500 last year. Never mind the fact that 80% of our rotation has a better ERA than Mark Prior. Never mind the fact that Carlos Zambrano has been ejected in 3 of his past 18 games.

:wright
"Heck, even I won as many games once as Kerry Wood has in a single season!"

DSpivack
05-05-2005, 07:12 PM

Lip

Exactly, except when it's the only outlet to get highlights when you're out of town.

But I'll be back in town ready to ignore EbSPN in a couple weeks!

Banix12
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
I get ESPN Insider and this article was meant to be about Pod's fantasy value, they said he's not worth starting in a fantasy league unless steals are weighted heavily.

I see, i just read the portion off a message board. Still doesn't really explain why they would be talking about his defense. I haven't really seen a fantasy league that deals with D.

soxfan123
05-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Here's the story (you need insider):

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=gillette_gary&id=2052976&num=2

I cannot believe this. He is probably our most valuable offensive player right now. This is, in my opinion, laughable.

SoxFan48
05-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Our SP and RP and good luck in one run games are our MVPs.

A.T. Money
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Is Insider even worth the money?

ATXBMX
05-05-2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49497

soxfan123
05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I borrow my friend's account. It helps with NFL stuff and the articles of interest in baseball.

soxfan123
05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49497

Oh, sorry, I hate doing that. If you would like to continue that conversation, uh...

MeanFish
05-05-2005, 10:27 PM
It's hard to say if Scott Podsednik is overrated or not. Sure, he hits like a center fielder, but then again our center fielder hits more like a left fielder. I suppose that in direct comparison to guys like Manny Ramirez and Hideki Matsui there's no contest, but for what he means to our team there's absolutely no way he's an overrated ballplayer. And he's easily one of the top-five fielding LF'ers in the game.

elrod
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Hey, as I said, I love watching him as a player. I'd just like to see his OBP at around .375 or higher so I can have the pleasure of watching him on the basepaths even more.

Call me selfish:cool:

Podsednik's OBP is .365 right now, which isn't too bad.

ClaudelSleptHere
05-06-2005, 12:20 AM
"grossly overhyped in 2003.....sophomore season was indicative of his true ability..."

and this is based on what? Because I said so! I'm an "insider" and don't you dare challenge me to back up this drivel with facts!

This reminds me of a parent who tells his kid not to do something, and when the kids asks why, the parent says 'because I said so.'