PDA

View Full Version : Trib article on Cold Weather Homers (with usual flawed logic)

Banix12
05-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Do the Sox hit more in warm weather? (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050504soxside,1,5903134.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Here's basically the extent of Dave Van Dyke's research and logic....
Not to ruin a good theory, but here are some recent facts about whether it's the weather:

April 2004: Average temperature for home games, 60 degrees; average Sox homers per game, 1.8; average opponents' homers per game, 1.6; average homers per game, 3.4.

April 2005: Average temperature for home games, 61.5 degrees; average Sox homers per game, 1.2; average opponents' homers, 0.7; average homers per game, 1.9.

Home runs at the major leagues' easiest home-run park are down this season compared to last, even though the temperatures have been slightly warmer.

Hmm, could the reason for the fewer average homers this year compared to last have something to do with no Lee, Maggs, Thomas, or Valentin?

Nah I'm sure it had something to do with a 1.5 degree weather change comparable to last season. Let's have space heater day and get back those Homers!!!

You gotta love how he tries to prove that bats don't heat up with the weather by comparing average temperatures in april. Why not compare the colder months with warm months moron. This article only proves Dave Van Dyke failed math in school and probably journalism.

popilius
05-05-2005, 02:09 AM
This article is completely pointless and unnecessary. :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Do the Sox hit more in warm weather? (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050504soxside,1,5903134.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Hmm, could the reason for the fewer average homers this year compared to last have something to do with no Lee, Maggs, Thomas, or Valentin?

Nah I'm sure it had something to do with a 1.5 degree weather change comparable to last season. Let's have space heater day and get back those Homers!!!

You gotta love how he tries to prove that bats don't heat up with the weather by comparing average temperatures in april. Why not compare the colder months with warm months moron. This article only proves Dave Van Dyke failed math in school and probably journalism.So I guess by mid-summer, home runs will disappear completely.

Dibbs
05-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Maybe Fundamentals is having an effect on thw wind and less homers will be hit????

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 11:58 AM

You gotta love how he tries to prove that bats don't heat up with the weather by comparing average temperatures in april. Why not compare the colder months with warm months moron. This article only proves Dave Van Dyke failed math in school and probably journalism.

The reason homers are down is because we have excellent pitching and aren't hitting as many out ourselves.

mdep524
05-05-2005, 12:02 PM
No, no, no... the real reason homers are down is because less homers have been hit this year than last year.

It's so simple! :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
The reason homers are down is because we have excellent pitching and aren't hitting as many out ourselves.

I wonder if the Beane-heads take this into consideration. I wonder if they still maintain the Cell grossly favors right-handed power hitters?

MIgrenade
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
That article is awful. What the hell does a 1.5 degree difference matter? We're dealing with a buncha freaking morons here.

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe Fundamentals is having an effect on thw wind and less homers will be hit????

Actually, this is a point no one's really raised yet. The increase in USCF HRs coincided with the roof, which supposedly changed the swirling winds, particularly in LF. Now, with a large structure there, it makes sense that whatever wind patterns there are wouldn't be able to blow as forcefully out.

Makes you wonder if KW knew what might happen when that came in and factored that into the composition of the team. I have to believe that when planning theconstruction of any such large structure in the park that they'd at least have a guesstimate of how it would impact the carry of fly balls, especially after the roof experience of 2004.

More kudos to KW!!!

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Actually, this is a point no one's really raised yet. The increase in USCF HRs coincided with the roof, which supposedly changed the swirling winds, particularly in LF. Now, with a large structure there, it makes sense that whatever wind patterns there are wouldn't be able to blow as forcefully out.

Makes you wonder if KW knew what might happen when that came in and factored that into the composition of the team. I have to believe that when planning theconstruction of any such large structure in the park that they'd at least have a guesstimate of how it would impact the carry of fly balls, especially after the roof experience of 2004.

More kudos to KW!!!

um... no... but nice try...:D:

LVSoxFan
05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Well in the 9 games I've been to this year so far I haven't noticed any day the wind blowing out. It always seems to be blowing left to right.

And it's been windy, too! Last Sunday was coooooold.
The idea that a 1.5 degree fluctuation... I'm not even gonna type anymore, LMAO. Absurd.

Iwritecode
05-05-2005, 01:01 PM
No, no, no... the real reason homers are down is because less homers have been hit this year than last year.

It's so simple! :D:

Thank you John Madden. :D: