PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline: Pena "screams" at Royals following latest Sox win

Bisco Stu
05-05-2005, 01:41 AM
White Sox 4, Royals 2

May 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
CHICAGO -- After a 4-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW) on Wednesday night, Kansas City Royals (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/KC) manager Tony Pena screamed at his players behind closed doors in the clubhouse.

A.J. Pierzynski hit a two-run homer to help the White Sox to fourth consecutive win overall and fifth in a row over the Royals.

While Chicago improved the best record in the major leagues to 20-7, the last-place Royals lost for the 14th time in 17 games and dropped to 7-20 despite outhitting the White Sox 9-6.

"I'm not happy," said Pena, whose yelling could be heard from outside the clubhouse. "It's not the effort, they give me effort. I just see something that don't like."

elrod
05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Hmmm. If he's not bothered by the effort, then who is he screaming at? Maybe he should scream at Allard Baird instead of his players.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-05-2005, 01:50 AM
I just hope this doesn't light a fire under them. They've played us pretty tough in nearly every game so far, and Greinke's arguably the best pitcher they've got. Even so, anything less than a sweep against the Royals will be a big disappointment.

Nard
05-05-2005, 01:53 AM
If we don't sweep the season series with KC then that's a tremendous dissapointment.

No teal.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2005, 01:54 AM
If we don't sweep the season series with KC then that's a tremendous dissapointment.

No teal.

I disagree. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut or two

Banix12
05-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Maybe he should scream at Allard Baird instead of his players.

Definitely, he's a pretty decent manager and he gets rookies, has-beens, and Mike Sweeney (who will probably be traded). I just feel sorry for the guy and anybody who roots for the Royals, that organization is a joke. Other than that 2003 season, a successful season despite the fact they finished 3rd, the Royals haven't had anything to cheer about since Brett retired.

popilius
05-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Hmmm. If he's not bothered by the effort, then who is he screaming at? Maybe he should scream at Allard Baird instead of his players.

It might be the way they acted after the game, or comments being made toward each other. . . blaming, and so forth. . .

:gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-05-2005, 02:04 AM

No teal.
While it's unreasonable to expect a sweep over so many games, I would hope for a better showing than the barely-above-.500 record against crappy teams (see Tigers, Royals, D-Rays, Expos, etc.) they've posted over the last few years.

It seems like those Sox teams always got up for the tough teams (other than bending over for the Twins late in 2003 and 2004), and laid down for the bad ones. Good to see them taking care of business on both ends of the standings so far this year!

owensmouth
05-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Two years ago KC posted a pretty good record and was looked at by many as an up and coming team. Last year their entire pitching staff seemed to go on the DL during spring training. Some of those guys are back, and are beginning to pick it up again. Pitching injuries are iffy to come back from. My suspection is that KC is still a year away from regaining some of that form. They do have a bunch of good arms.

That said, I expect to continue to dominate them. As a matter of fact, we must dominate them, because the Twins are able to put them away without much trouble.

As for Grienke, he's young and learning. Last year he was much more effective while pitching in KC than on the road.

RichFitztightly
05-05-2005, 04:16 AM
suspection

Suspection!? :?:

munchman33
05-05-2005, 06:58 AM
I disagree. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut or two

Everybody says this, but I don't believe it to be true. My money is on the blind squirrels dying of starvation, being eaten by predators, or finding something poisonous to eat.

SSN721
05-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Everybody says this, but I don't believe it to be true. My money is on the blind squirrels dying of starvation, being eaten by predators, or finding something poisonous to eat.

As long as the predators are the Sox. :smile:

voodoochile
05-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Maybe it should be...

Even the occasional blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I mean in the history of the world, one blind squirrel must have found a nut one time somewhere you would think.

Yes, the odds are with the hawk/fox/coyote way more than with the squirrel, but squirrels have been around for what 10M+ years in some form or another? That's a long time to go nutless even if you are blind...

Edit: I wouldn't bet on TP's rant having a positive effect on that team. Just the opposite in fact. 13 games out on 5/4 can make a team start to press. When the manager starts yelling it will only add to that stress.

LVSoxFan
05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Whoever said we should break the habit of losing to teams like this and the Tigers (which we did the past three years) while trouncing the Yankees and Red Sox... couldn't agree more.

So far so good, but I'm hoping for a sweep. But the reality is anybody can beat anybody on any given day. Speaking of which, Toronto's coming up this weekend, and we don't exactly crush there either.

But it's a new team, new year! Or so we'll see...

Baby Fisk
05-05-2005, 11:48 AM
If I woke up every morning and realized I was manager of the Kansas City Royals, I'd scream a lot too.

swanson24
05-05-2005, 12:00 PM
voodoochile just made a great point: "I wouldn't bet on TP's rant having a positive effect on that team. Just the opposite in fact. 13 games out on 5/4 can make a team start to press. When the manager starts yelling it will only add to that stress."
I Recall when Hall MacRae rant crazy during a disastrous Royals season. The only positive was that for Royals fans Hal MacRae was fired at the end of the season!

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
While it's unreasonable to expect a sweep over so many games, I would hope for a better showing than the barely-above-.500 record against crappy teams (see Tigers, Royals, D-Rays, Expos, etc.) they've posted over the last few years.

It seems like those Sox teams always got up for the tough teams (other than bending over for the Twins late in 2003 and 2004), and laid down for the bad ones. Good to see them taking care of business on both ends of the standings so far this year!

That's the reason why we're in first. We're 17-4 against the division and if you take Minnesota out of the picture, we're 13-3.

Of course this will bring out the typical "Sox only beat bad teams." Well, a lot of teams play bad teams in their division, but they don't go .800 against them. There's a reason we're dominating like this.

JoseCanseco6969
05-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Mike Sweeney (who will probably be traded). .

please let it happen!!

but I also feel for the Royals....its just a sad situation. Could you imagine the Sox falling so low?? Just imagine the threads on a team like that here on WSI. Scary...I hope we never have to go through that.

Stroker Ace
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I heard something like this on espn.com. They made it seem like the Royals should have beat the Sox.

Erik The Red
05-05-2005, 01:12 PM
If I woke up every morning and realized I was manager of the Kansas City Royals, I'd scream a lot too.
Should that be in teal?

Erik The Red
05-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Of course this will bring out the typical "Sox only beat bad teams." Well, a lot of teams play bad teams in their division, but they don't go .800 against them. There's a reason we're dominating like this.
Yeah, no ****. You never hear anyone say, "The Yankees are good... but so many of their wins are against Tampa Bay..."

Then again, right now Tampa owns their asses. :redneck

mccoydp
05-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Whoever said we should break the habit of losing to teams like this and the Tigers (which we did the past three years) while trouncing the Yankees and Red Sox... couldn't agree more.

So far so good, but I'm hoping for a sweep. But the reality is anybody can beat anybody on any given day. Speaking of which, Toronto's coming up this weekend, and we don't exactly crush there either.

But it's a new team, new year! Or so we'll see...

Agreed...mostly new team members...winning attitude...looks promising tonight.

gosox3072
05-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Maybe it should be...

Even the occasional blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I mean in the history of the world, one blind squirrel must have found a nut one time somewhere you would think.

Yes, the odds are with the hawk/fox/coyote way more than with the squirrel, but squirrels have been around for what 10M+ years in some form or another? That's a long time to go nutless even if you are blind...

Edit: I wouldn't bet on TP's rant having a positive effect on that team. Just the opposite in fact. 13 games out on 5/4 can make a team start to press. When the manager starts yelling it will only add to that stress.

Has anyone ever actually seen a blind squirrel? I think that would look quite funny:redneck

r0wdyxc
05-07-2005, 01:37 AM
White Sox 4, Royals 2

May 5, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
CHICAGO -- After a 4-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW) on Wednesday night, Kansas City Royals (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/KC) manager Tony Pena screamed at his players behind closed doors in the clubhouse.

A.J. Pierzynski hit a two-run homer to help the White Sox to fourth consecutive win overall and fifth in a row over the Royals.

While Chicago improved the best record in the major leagues to 20-7, the last-place Royals lost for the 14th time in 17 games and dropped to 7-20 despite outhitting the White Sox 9-6.

"I'm not happy," said Pena, whose yelling could be heard from outside the clubhouse. "It's not the effort, they give me effort. I just see something that don't like."

If Pena screamed after Wednesday's game...imagine what he did after his bullpen walks in the only 2 Sox runs of the game. :?:

-btw, i saw a show where a guy had to save a skunk with its head stuck in a soda can...is that close enough to a blind squirrel?

voodoochile
05-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Has anyone ever actually seen a blind squirrel? I think that would look quite funny:redneck

Now that you mention it...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

fquaye149
05-07-2005, 12:07 PM
please let it happen!!

but I also feel for the Royals....its just a sad situation. Could you imagine the Sox falling so low?? Just imagine the threads on a team like that here on WSI. Scary...I hope we never have to go through that.

if you were here this offseason you would have thought we were the royals. People predicting us to finish 4th and with 60-75 games.

Convinced we would, as a matter of fact.

And here they come, back out of the woodwork to inform me "we shouldn't have as good a record as we have"

ok.

still...am glad I'm not a royals, indians, tigers, or, yes, even twins fan right now.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Now that you mention it...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

I protest! This squirrel was obviously given the nut and had no hand in actually finding it!
:wink:

:knue
"Unlike the greedy Sox and ugly Sox Park, the blind squirrel is actually centered in this photograph, and thus the fact he successfully found a nut is hardly relevant compared to the art of losing as my sister division's team has perfected so well!"

Tragg
05-08-2005, 01:26 AM
In 2003, going into the year's final series, the Sox and Royals were tied. The sox won 3/4 and finished second.

After that series, the winning manager (manuel) is fired, and the losing manager (pena) is named manager of the year.

Keep on truckin tony.