PDA

View Full Version : Thirteen over .500

elrod
05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
This is the first time the White Sox have been 13 games over .500 since 2000. We were 12 over in 2003 at one point but have not been 13 over since winning the division. Just another benchmark of our success up to now. BTW, the 2000 team didn't get to 13 over .500 until early June.

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
This the first time the White Sox have been 13 games over .500 since 2000. We were 12 over in 2003 at one point but have not been 13 over since winning the division. Just another benchmark of our success up to now. BTW, the 2000 team didn't get to 13 over .500 until early June.

Holy cow! Has it really been that long?

But, now that I sit back and think about it, I do remember so many frustrating stretches of the season when it was a Major Accomplishment for the Sox to get even 1 lousy game above .500.

Awesome job, guys.

:gulp:

MUsoxfan
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Now only if Minnesota will continue losing....

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
This the first time the White Sox have been 13 games over .500 since 2000. We were 12 over in 2003 at one point but have not been 13 over since winning the division. Just another benchmark of our success up to now. BTW, the 2000 team didn't get to 13 over .500 until early June.

The 2000 team started off 17-8 in April, then cooled off quite a bit, partly due to the suspensions from the Tiger brawl (which turned out to be a major positive in the long run). I remember being around 26-21 that year, barely in first, then the 20-7 June came and we basically won the division then. That was actually the high point of the last 5 years and until now we haven't returned to it. July, August and September of 2000 we kind of sleepwalked, only winning when we had to or when Manuel screamed at the team. Ever since June of 2000 it's been a constant struggle and like cheeses said, often a struggle to get over .500.

I'd like another easy run like that. No September heart attack games. 2000 for me was just waiting for the playoffs...crappy ending of course, but the season was great knowing we pretty much clinched it in June.

Mohoney
05-05-2005, 04:01 AM
Now only if Minnesota will continue losing....

Exactly. I know it's early, but Minnesota is showing a lack of consistency that they have not shown for a long time. Maybe this is finally the year that 81 RBI from your leading run-producer just isn't going to get it done.

Maybe the 2 out, go-ahead infield singles from the Lew Fords and Nick Puntos of the world stop, and this team has to actually rely on overall talent from top to bottom to win this division, which I don't think they can do without adding at the trade deadline.

If both of these things hold true, then we flat-out run away and hide with this division by August, because our rotation is much deeper. The problem is that we won't know any of this for certain for another couple of months, but so far, Freddy Garcia has looked markedly better than Brad Radke, El Duque has handcuffed the Twins both times he has seen them by making HUGE pitches when he needed them (which is way more than Carlos Silva has done), and Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse can't even hold a candle to what Jon Garland and Jose Contreras are doing at the back of the rotation. When taken as a whole, these facts completely dwarf any edge that the Twins may have with Santana over Buehrle in the #1 role.

Even without a win to his credit, Jose Contreras has pitched well enough to where we have a 3-2 record in the games he has started, and one of those losses was Shingo's blown save against the Indians, so we very well could be 4-1 in these games. Plus, he went the entire month of April without a loss.

When your 5th starter goes an entire month without losing a game, your depth is insane, and you deserve to have a 20-7 record.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Exactly. I know it's early, but Minnesota is showing a lack of consistency that they have not shown for a long time. Maybe this is finally the year that 81 RBI from your leading run-producer just isn't going to get it done.

Maybe the 2 out, go-ahead infield singles from the Lew Fords and Nick Puntos of the world stop, and this team has to actually rely on overall talent from top to bottom to win this division, which I don't think they can do without adding at the trade deadline.

If both of these things hold true, then we flat-out run away and hide with this division by August, because our rotation is much deeper. The problem is that we won't know any of this for certain for another couple of months, but so far, Freddy Garcia has looked markedly better than Brad Radke, El Duque has handcuffed the Twins both times he has seen them by making HUGE pitches when he needed them (which is way more than Carlos Silva has done), and Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse can't even hold a candle to what Jon Garland and Jose Contreras are doing at the back of the rotation. When taken as a whole, these facts completely dwarf any edge that the Twins may have with Santana over Buehrle in the #1 role.

Even without a win to his credit, Jose Contreras has pitched well enough to where we have a 3-2 record in the games he has started, and one of those losses was Shingo's blown save against the Indians, so we very well could be 4-1 in these games. Plus, he went the entire month of April without a loss.

When your 5th starter goes an entire month without losing a game, your depth is insane, and you deserve to have a 20-7 record.

I have no worries about Sox hitting. It's fine now and it will be better later. I'm more worried about our Cubans and their health. The current trend would be a dream come true for any Sox fan, but I know via history that it's not so likely. But.....when you're not with the NYY, the pressure is somewhat off and they can do what we all want them to do. Let me use this opportunity to utilize the dancing banana. :bandance: