PDA

View Full Version : DJ's "Uh-oh" call being used for just about every situation: classic or dud?

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I have to admit, part of me is starting to really enjoy DJ's ultra-stupid (and uninformative, for the visually impaired) "Uh oh!" call every time there's a line drive or a long fly ball. I don't know why, but I like it a hell of a lot more than boring Len Casper's home run calls or any other similarly generic announcer.

In a way, it signifies to the fans of the opposing team that "uh oh, you gots some problems," so it sort of serves a purpose.

But yeah, it is really dumb.

I dunno.

MRKARNO
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
If he's going to continue using it, he better come up with a standard end to the call, instead of interchanging it with "Goodbye" "Bye Bye" and just facts about that particular homer.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I kind of like it too. But I'm not sure if it will hold up, I may hate it in a month or two. But I use it now myself when I call my Cub fan friends after they choke a game and I leave them voicemails. I give them about three "Oh-Ohs" in succession and they HATE it.

Foulke You
05-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I personally cannot stand the "uh oh" for every home run. It takes the air right out of a dramatic home run and turns it into a goofy moment. Has to be the worst home run call in the majors. I'm counting the days until Hawk returns. I don't mind DJ on color commentary but as a play by play guy, he is pretty awful.

SOXPHILE
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't really like it, but I find myself laughing now whenever he says it. I think the term to use here is that it's "fun-bad". It's just so bad and lame, that when one hears it, it becomes funny.

TaylorStSox
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I have to admit, part of me is starting to really enjoy DJ's ultra-stupid (and uninformative, for the visually impaired) "Uh oh!" call every time there's a line drive or a long fly ball. I don't know why, but I like it a hell of a lot more than boring Len Casper's home run calls or any other similarly generic announcer.

In a way, it signifies to the fans of the opposing team that "uh oh, you gots some problems," so it sort of serves a purpose.

I dunno.

Who in the hell is Len Casper?

Rocklive99
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
LOL, it's one of those things that's sooo bad that it's hilarious, and you can't wait to hear it again.

I am young, so I wonder if some of Hawk's sayings started out like this. I know I hated when he first started yelling "Stretch!"

Rocklive99
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Who in the hell is Len Casper?

Current Flub/Former Marlin announcer (unless it was supposed to be sarcastic because his name is spelled differently or something)

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Current Flub/Former Marlin announcer (unless it was supposed to be sarcastic because his name is spelled differently or something)

Yeah, I misspelled it. Apparently it's Len Kasper with a K.

Nice guy and all, but jeez do I hate his vanilla delivery. If it's possible, he makes Chimp Caray seem almost appealing.

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
I don't really like it, but I find myself laughing now whenever he says it. I think the term to use here is that it's "fun-bad". It's just so bad and lame, that when one hears it, it becomes funny.

Fun-bad is a perfect way to describe it.

Nicely done.

Banix12
05-05-2005, 12:05 AM
It's a work in progress, it actually has a little potential I think but it's missing something. i think it would work well for homeruns that are just barely getting over the fence.

a change something like this, "uh-oh, uh-oh, UH-OHHH... YES!" Then if it doesn't make it over finish it in a UH-OHH... NO!" Just try to finish it saying Oh Yes! or something else positive.

I don't think it could ever become a classic but at least he's trying to put his mark on it.

Home Run calls are tough to make, It took years before someone came up with "Boom-shaka-laka!"

I'd go with an irish accent and scream "NOW THERE'S ME POT O' GOLD"'

MRKARNO
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
I personally cannot stand the "uh oh" for every home run. It takes the air right out of a dramatic home run and turns it into a goofy moment.

On second thought, I agree with your characterization. Pierzynski's homer was huge, but DJ sorta deflated some of the excitement with his call IMO. "You Can..." would have been a lot better in that case. Hawk might not be the best overall guy, but he sure can make exciting moments, well, exciting, unlike DJ.

HawkDJ
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Dud, I can't even believe it's starting to catch on. Come back Hawk!

TaylorStSox
05-05-2005, 12:11 AM

I honestly didn't know.

"Fun-bad" is the perfect way to describe DJ. He's so bad that I've grown to like him. :?:

Dibbs
05-05-2005, 12:12 AM
At first I thought it was ridiculous, but now I enjoy it and laugh everytime I hear it. I may just be laughing because it is stupid. I guess only time will tell if it is a classic.

samram
05-05-2005, 12:13 AM
It sounds like he's having a panic attack. Hey, if nothing else, it's a sign of good news. It also makes me laugh because it reminds me of the cutaway scene in the Family Guy in which Peter Griffin soils himself at a dinner party.

Rocklive99
05-05-2005, 12:16 AM
It sounds like he's having a panic attack. Hey, if nothing else, it's a sign of good news. It also makes me laugh because it reminds me of the cutaway scene in the Family Guy in which Peter Griffin soils himself at a dinner party.

LMAO! Just thinking of that did it for me, and I am now getting weird stares from the couch. Now I'm going to think of that Family Guy scene when DJ does it

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Fun-bad is a perfect way to describe it.

Nicely done.

That's taken right out of the book of Boers and Bernstein. I like that...fun-bad. I agree too.

Rocklive99
05-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Someone uploaded a sound of the "Uh oh" call the other day, but I can't find it. Anyone?

jabrch
05-05-2005, 12:43 AM
I like it....I like not hearing it much more than hearing it.

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 01:22 AM

I dunno.

the uh-oh call is so bad its awesome, but ill take a stretch-get back there- etc. any day of the week over it. I thought DJ did a decent job today

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Someone uploaded a sound of the "Uh oh" call the other day, but I can't find it. Anyone?

please, if anyone has that "uh-oh" call as a .wav file post it here :)

spongyfungy
05-05-2005, 01:32 AM
please, if anyone has that "uh-oh" call as a .wav file post it here :)

sure. only if we can put it in the chat.

SoxFan76
05-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I think it's cool only because it's so lame. If anybody else said "uh-oh" it would just be dumb. But DJ is just such a nerd that it works out well.

spongyfungy
05-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Uh-oh! (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejmoon83/uh-oh.wav)

If he said spaghetti-o's, I would have lost it.

Full Uh-oh call. (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejmoon83/uh-ohcall.mp3)

My roommate thought I was nuts playing this clip over and over again. (I'll do anything to ease my pain after that Bulls loss.)

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Uh-oh! (http://home.comcast.net/~jmoon83/uh-oh.wav)

If he said spaghetti-o's, I would have lost it.

thanks a ton, now i just need to figure out how to incorpate it into my computer, i currently amd using "he gone" for when people on my buddy list sign off of aol

chisoxfanatic
05-05-2005, 01:48 AM
thanks a ton, now i just need to figure out how to incorpate it into my computer, i currently amd using "he gone" for when people on my buddy list sign off of aol

How'd ya get "He Gawn" on there?

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 01:52 AM
How'd ya get "He Gawn" on there?

once ur signed on to AIM, go to the edit prefernces, click on buddy list-then sounds

pudge
05-05-2005, 02:05 AM
I noticed it back when we were playing the Mariners and I thought that was the first "uh oh".... I assumed it was a gut reaction by DJ and it was a one-time thing. Wow was I wrong. It is just horrid.

Nard
05-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Nah, it's pretty ****ing awful.

Going to have to go with "dud" here. Come back Hawk.

TomParrish79
05-05-2005, 03:14 AM
At first I would have said horrible, but over the course of the last few weeks I have gotten more and more adjusted to the innings that DJ does by himself, and I guess the Uh-Oh has grown on me, me and my brother go back and forth it seems like all day everyday saying UH OH and BYE BYE!!

Its so bad its great. if that makes sense.

JRIG
05-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Nah, it's pretty ****ing awful.

Going to have to go with "dud" here. Come back Hawk.

Agree. It a really ****ty call.

But that's why Rooney is up and the TV is turned down during every game for me.

SSN721
05-05-2005, 07:26 AM
I think he should switch over to, "boom goes the dynamite." Talk about classic.
:D:

GregoryEtc
05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10101000/10101880.jpg
"uh oh.... 5 hours until DJ gets to steal my lines again."

downstairs
05-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I think he should switch over to, "boom goes the dynamite." Talk about classic.
:D:

SSN721 wins. Thread over.

Seriously, why not. Lets face it. DJ is lame. He tries, he's a nice guy. But he's just lame.

I don't classify him as fun-bad... Its just flaccid.

Baby Fisk
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
I like "uh-ohhh!" because you can hear the teal. And it's stupid. And DJ is a nerd, and this confirms it. But it's funny. And when you hear it, you know something good is happening.

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 10:52 AM

I dunno.

It's so stupid it's funny cheeses, can't agree more. We are getting sucked in to DJ's stupidity, oh well! I don't care... Once we start losing though everyone will hate it

Erik The Red
05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
I hate the "Uh oh!" call. It's idiotic, unprofessional, and downright ridiculous.

He actually didn't do half bad in the PBP roll last night with Hawk gone, which surprised me. But that call has to go. Maybe we should send him an e-mail like we do to Brooks.

Erik The Red
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Agree. It a really ****ty call.

But that's why Rooney is up and the TV is turned down during every game for me.
Isn't there a bit of a delay though between radio and TV? I thought I noticed it once when I tried to do the same, and the delay bothered the hell out of me.

HITMEN OF 77
05-05-2005, 01:28 PM
I for one, like the Uh-Oh call.

Foulke You
05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm shocked at the "uh oh" love on this board. I thought for sure I would be in the majority when I said it earlier in the thread that it is the worst home run call in the majors. It is embarassing for the team. I can only hope Hawk is back in time for the crosstown series in June because the Cubs fans will be merciless on us if they hear an "uh oh" during that series.:(:

dpbyron
05-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I like the call. Sure it is not very creative, but it is unique. Whould you rather have, "Swung on, belted!"?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o:

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm shocked at the "uh oh" love on this board. I thought for sure I would be in the majority when I said it earlier in the thread that it is the worst home run call in the majors. It is embarassing for the team. I can only hope Hawk is back in time for the crosstown series in June because the Cubs fans will be merciless on us if they hear an "uh oh" during that series.:(:

Well, if DJ were our permanent PBP guy, I'd have a problem with it.

But since it's only temporary, what's the harm?

HITMEN OF 77
05-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm shocked at the "uh oh" love on this board. I thought for sure I would be in the majority when I said it earlier in the thread that it is the worst home run call in the majors.s.

The worst homerun call in the majors belongs to an idot on the Mariners broadcast team. "Fly away baseball"

BearSox
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
How about throwing in a "Sweet Sassy Mollassy!" after the uh oh :D:

Rocklive99
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
When I used to listen to JayHood, the funniest thing was when DJ would be alone and be stuck with a HR call, and Jay would play it and do the Pacman dieing sound. You can tell he's trying to force the enthusiam, it's so bad that it's hilarious

Erik The Red
05-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I like the call. Sure it is not very creative, but it is unique. Whould you rather have, "Swung on, belted!"?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o:
Yes.

Chisox003
05-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I loooove DJ

UH OH!

Jeremy
05-06-2005, 01:43 AM
hahah yeah, the call is so bad that it is actually funny. that can be said most of the time with DJ. I think we should give him a break though, he needs some time to create more Hawk-isms of his own, "got him", "you do"(usually said after Hawk says "I luv ...."), "uh-oh".

popilius
05-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Actually DJ's call reminds me of 'The Simpsons' episode where a new TV sitcom character has the name "Homer Simpson," and he's a hero. Later in the show, he becomes a stupid buffoonish character, who's catchline is:

"Uh-oh! Spaghetti-O!"

Let's just hope DJ doesn't add the "Spaghetti-O" part.

:gulp:

SomebodyToldMe
05-06-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't mind the "uh oh" call, but I can't stand that "you better believe it" thing. He said that too many times today.

It reminds me of Kramer...And nobody is Kramer but Kramer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/dasanixcore/kramer.gif
"You better believe it!"

wsoxfan
05-06-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm down with the "uh-oh". I so stupid it's awesome...:smile:

cheeses_h_rice
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
The loudest and longest "Uh oh" that DJ said is now being used as a constant drop-in on Boers and Bernstein's show, and I am absolutely powerless to not laugh out loud every single time I hear it.

Could it surpass "Oh no, he dropped the ball!"?

:)

tacosalbarojas
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM
You can tell he's trying to force the enthusiam Bingo! He's trying to force the enthusiasm? Are you kidding me? What a joke. If any of us had his job do you think we'd need to "force the enthusiasm"? hell, no. C'mon DJ. Get a real HR call and wake up, man!

nasox
05-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes.

[Indie Rocker Quote] How mainstream. Ugh. [/Indie Rocker Quote]

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 02:52 PM
dud.

MushMouth
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
It makes me giggle like a little schoolgirl, and for that, I thank D.J.

Here's to a bunch of "Uh-OH's!" tonight! :redneck

Rocklive99
05-26-2005, 04:27 PM
The loudest and longest "Uh oh" that DJ said is now being used as a constant drop-in on Boers and Bernstein's show, and I am absolutely powerless to not laugh out loud every single time I hear it.

Could it surpass "Oh no, he dropped the ball!"?

:)

HAHA, I heard it today, oh man, I came so close to driving off the road when I heard it, classic

TomBradley72
05-26-2005, 04:52 PM
It's horrible....imagine having that call on a pennant clinching homer or some other classic Sox moment. DJ is awful. Should pair up Rooney with Hawk to put their best foot forward on TV now that they are getting more attention. Start over completely on radio...pair up a former Sox great with a solid play by play guy. Is Joe McConnell still alive?

Epark84
05-26-2005, 09:04 PM
horrible...he is unlistenable....makes chip carey sound almost human...almost

flo-B-flo
05-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Uh oh DJ sucks.

Tekk
05-27-2005, 12:16 AM
I like the uh-oh call when the opposing team lines a shot over the fence. Because inside i'm thinking uh-oh, he jacked that one.

But, when a sox player hits a homer and DJ say's "uh-oh," I cringe. He makes it sound like the sox homerun was an accident and shouldn't of happened.

It may grow on me over time though, but right now I don't like it.