PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas update: Things looking good!

MRKARNO
05-04-2005, 10:57 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050504&content_id=1038535&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

But the White Sox slugger is hoping to be out of the area when Sosa arrives. It's clearly nothing personal against Sosa, but Thomas believes he could be ready for a Minor League rehab assignment after he returns with the team from a six-game road trip to Toronto and Tampa.

Triple-A Charlotte figures to be Thomas' rehab destination, but the Knights have just five games at home starting next Thursday, before they embark on an eight-game road trip to Ottawa and Buffalo. Charlotte finishes May and starts June with an eight-game homestand, followed by travels to Indianapolis and Louisville.

By that time, Thomas sounds as if he hopes to be back with the White Sox.[...]

Thomas ran the bases during batting practice once again Wednesday and reported great progress in terms of the amount of pain he still feels. The biggest concern for Thomas, though, is the pain level on the ensuing day after he runs, and he gave solid marks to his bounce-back ability over the past week.

We might be seeing him sooner rather than later!

As if the good news on the White Sox front couldnt get any better!

gobears1987
05-04-2005, 11:05 PM
I hope he's back when I go on May 30th when the Sox kill the Angels. No way he'll be back by May 15th when I see Shammy Roids and the O's get killed by the Sox

krohnjw
05-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Great to hear! I am hoping to catch a few games when he is in charlotte. Is he still planning on the 100 AB for rehab?

BeerHandle
05-04-2005, 11:20 PM
I hope he's back when I go on May 30th when the Sox kill the Angels. No way he'll be back by May 15th when I see Shammy Roids and the O's get killed by the Sox

I am excited to get Frank back. I am curious to see how the team meshes with Frank in the lineup.

MRKARNO
05-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Is he still planning on the 100 AB for rehab?

As far as he's concerned he's going to go down there for 5 games or so (or even less) and be back up with the team.

His bat was never the problem. He could hit a ball 450 before the shockwave treatment. The issue was that he wouldnt be able to trot around the bases without severe pain. Considering the number of walks he gets, he should at least be able to score from 2nd base on a solid single and be able to get through a game w/o pain. If the pain is bothering him, he wont hit as well either, so it was just in his best interest to wait until it healed.

Maybe he'll be back for the Cubs series. Wouldnt that be nice :D:

chisoxfanatic
05-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I am excited to get Frank back. I am curious to see how the team meshes with Frank in the lineup.

I think that he should be "eased" into getting playing time when he does come back. Perhaps Everett could replace Dye for a game or two (or more, if Dye seems to struggle) to get the Big Hurt an opportunity of starting at DH. I don't wanna lose Everett's hot bat in the lineup.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 11:36 PM
As far as he's concerned he's going to go down there for 5 games or so (or even less) and be back up with the team.

His bat was never the problem. He could hit a ball 450 before the shockwave treatment. The issue was that he wouldnt be able to trot around the bases without severe pain. Considering the number of walks he gets, he should at least be able to score from 2nd base on a solid single and be able to get through a game w/o pain. If the pain is bothering him, he wont hit as well either, so it was just in his best interest to wait until it healed.

Maybe he'll be back for the Cubs series. Wouldnt that be nice :D:I think he's kidding himself. Sure, he's swinging the bat, but live pitching is something else again. It's been 10 months since he's faced a real pitcher.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 11:38 PM
More on Frank from the Tribune tonight:

Big Hurt hurts less

Frank Thomas hopes to undergo his second round of shock wave therapy on his surgically repaired left ankle Thursday morning.

Thomas underwent the treatment for the first time last week with some success and continues to run every day without any lingering pain. Thomas said he would accompany the Sox on their upcoming trip to Toronto and Tampa Bay.

Lip

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I think he's kidding himself. Sure, he's swinging the bat, but live pitching is something else again. It's been 10 months since he's faced a real pitcher.

Yeah, but he's been doing it for his entire life including the last 15 years at this level. It won't take him that long to get back in the groove or good enough where it's stupid not to let him do it in game situations.

MRKARNO
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
I think he's kidding himself. Sure, he's swinging the bat, but live pitching is something else again. It's been 10 months since he's faced a real pitcher.

To quote the article again:

"Now, I'm getting used to seeing the ball released from the pitcher's hand and when I go (to Charlotte), I'll take every at-bat seriously. I don't plan on being there forever."

And it doesnt hurt when you've been doing this for 15 years and counting. This isnt even his first injury recovery.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah, but he's been doing it for his entire life including the last 15 years at this level. It won't take him that long to get back in the groove or good enough where it's stupid not to let him do it in game situations.I'm not so sure. Ten months is a long time. Maybe 100 AB is too pessimistic, but I'd be surprised if he can shake off the rust and get his timing back in less than a couple of weeks. I'll be only too happy to be wrong.

Deadguy
05-05-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm not so sure. Ten months is a long time. Maybe 100 AB is too pessimistic, but I'd be surprised if he can shake off the rust and get his timing back in less than a couple of weeks. I'll be only too happy to be wrong.

The 100 AB idea was to give him an entire ST's worth of preparation, but he has been in the fold since March 21st. The length of ST is more for pitchers, anyways, and players who come into camp out of shape and not quite as baseball ready as FT is right now.

With the way the offense is right now, FT could be in 2002 form, and be one of the best hitters on the team.

SSN721
05-05-2005, 07:43 AM
This is just wonderful news. I have to agree with other posts about Frank not needing too much preperation time. I think a hitter of his calibre only should need 100 ABs to get his eye and his swing back to normal levels. It would definitely be great to see him back in the lineup at the end of May. Although it will be difficult for Ozzie to juggle the lineup and figure out how to work him in. Unless Carl goes on a ridiculous cold streak or something before Frank is ready and makes the decision for him.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 10:21 AM
The 100 AB idea was to give him an entire ST's worth of preparation, but he has been in the fold since March 21st. The length of ST is more for pitchers, anyways, and players who come into camp out of shape and not quite as baseball ready as FT is right now.

With the way the offense is right now, FT could be in 2002 form, and be one of the best hitters on the team.Nobody gets 100 AB in ST. 60-70 is more typical. It sounds like he might start his AAA rehab in another week. 60 AB is about three weeks. Why push it? If he's ready by June 1, I'd be ecstatic.

Bias
05-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Anybody have theories on who will sit when he comes back? I don't want Carl in the outfield.

Right now, the only thing that makes any sense to me is putting Frank @ first base unless Carl can play it. Due to Konerko's struggles, him sitting makes the most sense to me. We know he's dangerous and has had some tough luck, but if Frank comes back stickin' then why play Konerko ahead of him when Paulie is strugglin' to hit .200?

We also know about Frank's questionable defense so I'm not all that happy about Frank coming back. I really like him, but not sure I like what will happen when he comes back...as far as people sitting and defensive holes. Just like things the way they are now and don't want them to change. Although I recognize we could use more offense.

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Just guessing, but I think he'll be hitting a few home runs when the Scrubbies visit the Southside in June.:D:

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Great to hear! I am hoping to catch a few games when he is in charlotte. Is he still planning on the 100 AB for rehab?

I think the latest estimates have him getting around fifty at-bats, so he should be in Charlotte for about two weeks.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2005, 01:27 PM
More updates in the newspapers today. Thomas says he's feeling better, pain level at seven, needs to be at six for him to play. If things continue to go well he said he should be in Charlotte in two weeks.

Lip

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
More updates in the newspapers today. Thomas says he's feeling better, pain level at seven, needs to be at six for him to play. If things continue to go well he said he should be in Charlotte in two weeks.

Lip

Another report said sometime end of next week. One of the local papers, can't remember which one. Regardless, looks like end of May is a realistic timeframe for Frank, it'll be a very nice addition, better than just about any midseason trade KW could make!

tacosalbarojas
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Anybody have theories on who will sit when he comes back? I don't want Carl in the outfield.

Right now, the only thing that makes any sense to me is putting Frank @ first base unless Carl can play it. Due to Konerko's struggles, him sitting makes the most sense to me. We know he's dangerous and has had some tough luck, but if Frank comes back stickin' then why play Konerko ahead of him when Paulie is strugglin' to hit .200?

We also know about Frank's questionable defense so I'm not all that happy about Frank coming back. I really like him, but not sure I like what will happen when he comes back...as far as people sitting and defensive holes. Just like things the way they are now and don't want them to change. Although I recognize we could use more offense.I think that provided things stay status quo and Paulie and Dye sort of come back to earth a bit and that no one gets hurt, I think you'll see all four guys (Dye, Paulie, Frank, and Carl) see plenty of action. Sort of a rotating day off thing with Carl definitely against the righties and Dye or Frank definitely in against lefties. I think out of all four Paulie still probably gets the most starts...again provided he comes back to what his standard is.

DSpivack
05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm going to Israel May 28-June 7. I really want to see his first game back. So hopefully it's either May 27 or before, or June 8 or after.

I'll pray for him!

Flight #24
05-05-2005, 05:49 PM
And friggin' Levineline comes on the Sox flagship station and has the balls to say Frank won't be back before July? What, he thinks Frank's gonna need 2 months down in AAA?

:angry:

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 06:47 PM
And friggin' Levineline comes on the Sox flagship station and has the balls to say Frank won't be back before July? What, he thinks Frank's gonna need 2 months down in AAA?

:angry:

LeVineline is doing everything he can to make the Sox look bad. They're 21-7, and now they're getting their best hitter back. The Cubs fans are going to be even more miserable than ever.

DumpJerry
05-05-2005, 06:51 PM
If he comes back to face the Flubs, it will be three more days before he faces a real pitcher.......:D:

Soxzilla
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM

We also know about Frank's questionable defense so I'm not all that happy about Frank coming back. I really like him, but not sure I like what will happen when he comes back...as far as people sitting and defensive holes. Just like things the way they are now and don't want them to change. Although I recognize we could use more offense.

Frank will never play the field again.

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Frank will never play the field again.

Agreed.

MRKARNO
05-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Agreed.

This is a large departure from:

"PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST..." :)

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 10:06 PM
This is a large departure from:

"PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST PUT FRANK AT FIRST..." :)

LOL! I wanted Frank playing first when he could physically play the position. It doesn't appear as though he's going to be able to play the field anymore, so he shouldn't.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Levineline on Comcast sports right now. Says FT will start rehab in a week but will not be back before July 1. You need a new calendar, Bruce. There's a whole month missing from yours. It's called June (as in swoon, which you should be all too familiar with).

Lip Man 1
05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
So Thomas is going to rehab for almost seven weeks? LOL

Only in Levine's world...what a doofus.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
LOL! I wanted Frank playing first when he could physically play the position. It doesn't appear as though he's going to be able to play the field anymore, so he shouldn't.
In the first place (pun totally intended), he got this injury while playing the field.

He will DH for the rest of his career, or both he and Ozzie are fools.

shaunburnette
05-06-2005, 12:04 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050504&content_id=1038535&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

We might be seeing him sooner rather than later!

As if the good news on the White Sox front couldnt get any better!

Could Everett play 1st? Im not saying every night but maybe a little bit.

beckett21
05-06-2005, 12:11 AM
So Thomas is going to rehab for almost seven weeks? LOL

Only in Levine's world...what a doofus.

Lip

Who are you and what have you done with Lip?

:redneck