PDA

View Full Version : With The Hawk on the D.L.

robertks61
05-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Would anyone like to see Stone doing color commentary in the booth with D.J.?

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Would anyone like to see Stone doing color commentary in the booth with D.J.?Pall and Ventura are brutal. I finally turned on Rooney and Farmer.

mweflen
05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
i'm listening to the new Nine Inch Nails album with the game turned on. Actually a pretty good fit. Politte was tough as nails.

kevingrt
05-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Where is Carmen, aka The Future!

gobears1987
05-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Hell no! Stone is a Flub fan. I don't get everyone's love for the moron. DJ isn't the greatest announcer, but he's a Sox fan and I have no doubt of his loyalties. If anyone heard Stone on WSCR they'd realize he's a Flub loving moron who I don't want touching our team with a 10 foot pole.

Daver
05-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I caught two innings of the game on TV, the Pope Don Pall was brutal.

LuvSox
05-04-2005, 10:11 PM
The Pope was painful to listen to. Did Robin do some? He was ok on the one spring training game I caught.

paciorek1983
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
They've got to get someone else to do color. It would be interesting to have Tom Paciorek in the booth with DJ. WIMPY......WHERE ARE YOU?:(:

Banix12
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
The Pope was painful to listen to. Did Robin do some? He was ok on the one spring training game I caught.

I thought Pall actually started to get better in the later innings and I actually liked having someone up there who could speak from the perspective of a pitcher. Remember this is his first time broadcasting a game and he was obviously nervous, especially for the first half of the game. I'll bet he improves tomorrow.

Now as for DJ's play-by-play, that was awful. He lacks the excitement vocally to really convey the emotional moments of the game. He needs a lot more practice calling games and he needs to work on adding more personality to the call.

White Sox Josh
05-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Hell no! Stone is a Flub fan. I don't get everyone's love for the moron. DJ isn't the greatest announcer, but he's a Sox fan and I have no doubt of his loyalties. If anyone heard Stone on WSCR they'd realize he's a Flub loving moron who I don't want touching our team with a 10 foot pole.Right now Stoney has been talking more about the Sox than the Cubs.

White Sox Josh
05-04-2005, 10:27 PM
:hawk
I Gawn

Banix12
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Hell no! Stone is a Flub fan. I don't get everyone's love for the moron. DJ isn't the greatest announcer, but he's a Sox fan and I have no doubt of his loyalties. If anyone heard Stone on WSCR they'd realize he's a Flub loving moron who I don't want touching our team with a 10 foot pole.

I've always heard stone as a pretty reasonable person, I remember in spring training when he was doing TV color for sox games he did a great job and was taking Brantley to school with his knowledge of the white sox. I think it would be great to have him but he has a contract with AM 1000's rival, not going to happen.

The best solution I can think of is split up farmer and rooney, move one of them to TV to do the play by play for most of the game and then have Bill melton as the color guy on the Radio.

Another guy I can think of to fill in for a bit is Rich King on WGN, I saw him broadcast a couple cubs games and he usually did a standup job.

DonkeyKongerko
05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Stone may be a Cubs fan but he ain't no homer. He was probably harder on the Cubs last season than some of us Sox fans.

He gives great insight on the radio about mostly the Sox lately. I don't think we'll see him sittin next to Hawk or DJ any time soon but I sure would tune in if it happened.

SOXPHILE
I agree with the earlier post, saying the Pope was pretty bad, but it was his first time announcing. As the game went on, he seemed to get a little more comfortable and was able to contribute a little to the broadcast. All in all though, it was kinda bad. Did anyone hear D.J.'s call on the Scotty P's double ? He said something like "SCOTTY SWINGS, AND HITS A....DRILL TO LEFT CENTER FIELD.." Funny. Who cares ? SOX WON !!

elrod
It was funny hearing a guy in the booth with an obvious "Northern" accent. He's a Chicago native and it showed. I need that Savannah drawl.

TaylorStSox
05-04-2005, 10:40 PM

I don't know that you can call Stone a Cub "fan." He worked for the organization, as well as played. However, he's always had a ton of respect for the Sox. He's friends with Jerry and claimed that he really enjoyed his time playing on the south side. I wouldn't mind hearing him in the booth everyday. He's the best color guy in baseball. bar-none!

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Hell I'll take Stone in the booth WITHOUT Jackson! Let him and Pall do the games.

Lip

StrTrkker
05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
I would like to see either Ron Kittle or maybe even Bo Jackson fill in for a couple of games...

Baby Fisk
05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
It was funny hearing a guy in the booth with an obvious "Northern" accent. He's a Chicago native and it showed. I need that Savannah drawl.
The Northern Accent? Is that when the inflection of every sentence? Rises up so it sounds like a question? A lot of people in Canada also talk like that? And it's really annoying?

Ease off on the pope, it was his first broadcast. The guy admitted he was nervous; said he felt like he won a contest to be in the booth. Despite being a former major leaguer, he didn't act like he was better than anyone. Just a local guy who loves the Sox. An announcer who isn't full of himself -- now that's unique!

I liked how Donn & DJ started getting into it over where each one was during the 1993 season. DJ showing off his World Series ring and Donn groaning about it -- that was hilarious. :cool:

Uncle_Patrick
05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I thought that the pope was all right. It was his first time broadcasting and still did a better job then Ron Santo does.

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Stone at all. He may have been a Cubbie broadcaster, but he obviously wasn't drinking the Cubbie Kool Aid. I really would like to see Bill Melton in there, too. Bo Jackson might be cool, too.

Now, I know this one probably won't happen, but what about Carlton Fisk?

elrod
05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
The Northern Accent? Is that when the inflection of every sentence? Rises up so it sounds like a question? A lot of people in Canada also talk like that? And it's really annoying?

Not so much the end-of-sentence upward lilt as the tendency to pronounce words like "down" with a very long "o" (a modified version of "abote" for "about" in Canada). And of course there was the occasional "bayack" for "back". It's actually an I-90 accent. They talk the same way from about Amsterdam, NY (upstate) to around Rapid City, SD. The irony of the "Da Bills" and "Da Bears" skit was that the accent is almost identical in Buffalo and Chicago. As a Virginia native in Evanston, I've always enjoyed hearing Hawk's "Southernisms".

ChiSox Fan 68
05-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I think Pall did a good job for his first broadcast. He was witty and I love that he is a South Sider, has always been a die-hard Sox fan, and felt that playing for the Sox was like being in a fantasy camp. I met him a couple years ago and he is such a good guy. He definately improved as the game went on - I liked the interaction between him and DJ.

Lizard
05-05-2005, 10:15 AM

NO!!