PDA

View Full Version : Fehr speaks just like PHG said

Jerry_Manuel
11-06-2001, 10:37 PM
I know this was posted in another thread, just starting a new.
Let the record show that I cut most of the article just to include Fehr:

The action by the owners came two days after the World Series culminated in Arizona's thrilling Game 7 victory over the New York Yankees, baseball's most-watched game in 10 years.

The players' association called the decision "most imprudent and unfortunate."

"Over this last season, and, especially, over the last several weeks, we have been reminded, vividly, of the special place baseball holds in America," union head Donald Fehr said. "This makes it all the more unfortunate that the clubs would choose this moment to dash the hopes of so many of its fans.

"And, of course, this is the worst manner in which to begin the process of negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement. We had hoped that we were in a new era, one that would see a much better relationship between players and owners. Today's announcement is a severe blow to such hopes."

Owners said they have the right to eliminate teams without the union but conceded they must negotiate the specifics of how to disperse the players on eliminated teams to the remaining 28 major leagues clubs. Selig declined to say if there was a chance teams wouldn't be eliminated before the new season starts.

"We have every intention of doing it," he said.

But Fehr said: "This decision has been made unilaterally, without any attempt to negotiate with the players, apparently without any serious consideration of other options, including relocation, and seemingly with little concern for the interests of the fans.

"We consider this action to be inconsistent with the law, our contract, and perhaps most important, the long-term welfare of the sport," he said.

Daver
11-06-2001, 10:48 PM
I guess the only thing to look forward to next spring is the turkey hunting reports and the fishing hotspot guide,I will be glad to keep the board updated on both.

WinningUgly!
11-06-2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
I guess the only thing to look forward to next spring is the turkey hunting reports and the fishing hotspot guide,I will be glad to keep the board updated on both.

Maybe we can start a fantasy league?