PDA

View Full Version : Checking out the AL Gold Glove winners...

czalgosz
11-06-2001, 08:56 PM
C - IRod

1B - Mientkiewicz

2b - Roberto Alomar

SS - Vizquel

3B - Eric Chavez

OF - Mike Cameron

OF - Ichiro

OF - Torii Hunter

P - Mussina

I can't complain about any of these choices - Certainly no one on the White Sox deserves a Gold Glove - but it's interesting that Mike Cameron wins now that he's on the Mariners... He's certainly no better defensively than when he was on the Sox. He was excellent back then, too, of course, but I find it interesting that every Gold Glove winner with the exception of IRod (and he's a no-brainer, with the current crop of catchers out there) was on a playoff team. Hmmm... Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

FarWestChicago
11-06-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
but I find it interesting that every Gold Glove winner with the exception of IRod (and he's a no-brainer, with the current crop of catchers out there) was on a playoff team. Hmmm... Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Now you're making my head hurt. :)

KempersRS
11-06-2001, 09:03 PM
C - IRod

1B - Mientkiewicz

2b - Roberto Alomar

SS - Vizquel

3B - Eric Chavez

OF - Mike Cameron

OF - Ichiro

OF - Torii Hunter

P - Mussina

I can't complain about any of these choices - Certainly no one on the White Sox deserves a Gold Glove - but it's interesting that Mike Cameron wins now that he's on the Mariners... He's certainly no better defensively than when he was on the Sox. He was excellent back then, too, of course, but I find it interesting that every Gold Glove winner with the exception of IRod (and he's a no-brainer, with the current crop of catchers out there) was on a playoff team. Hmmm... Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The Twins didn't make the playoffs...

czalgosz
11-06-2001, 09:09 PM
D'oh! I meant to say, "playoff contender". My bad.

Iguana775
11-06-2001, 09:12 PM
:hitless

"what about me???"

:caballo

"and me??"

Dadawg_77
11-07-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
:hitless

"what about me???"

:caballo

"and me??"

Well :hitless you (while the award doesn't say it) you need to hit the ball to win a gold glove.

voodoochile
11-07-2001, 09:02 AM
If any SOx player deserved consideration it would have to be Buehrle. Not to take anything away from Royce who had as good a year at SS as one can expect from him, but Buehrle was simply the best fielding pitcher in the AL that I saw all year...

idseer
11-07-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If any SOx player deserved consideration it would have to be Buehrle. Not to take anything away from Royce who had as good a year at SS as one can expect from him, but Buehrle was simply the best fielding pitcher in the AL that I saw all year...

i'm glad to see at least SOME here finally admit to royce's fielding ability.
some months ago many were actually suggesting valentin was JUST as good! their hatred of his usurping jose in the field turned rational thinking to mush.
royce's fielding was absolutely on a par with omar's when you factor in some 20+ fewer games.

here's hoping he's there for the next few years!

kermittheefrog
11-08-2001, 12:11 AM
C - IRod

1B - Mientkiewicz

2b - Roberto Alomar

SS - Vizquel

3B - Eric Chavez

OF - Mike Cameron

OF - Ichiro

OF - Torii Hunter

P - Mussina

Why would all the gold glove players come from playoff teams? I can think of a couple good reason, one is the obvious good teams have good players. Most MVP and Cy Young candidates come from good, playoff contender, teams too. The other one is exposure. Hunter would have been just as great if the Twins won 70 games this year and I don't think there is a single person foolish enough to admit he'd win the gold glove if the Twins didn't have half of a cinderella season.

As for beefs with the awards, I sure as hell have ones with Alomar and Vizquel. The Indians pitching/defense is obviously not very ineffective. They had just two effective starting pitchers, the two guys who throw in the upper 90s. Guys who get a lot of strikeouts, throw up in the zone and create fly balls. Alomar and Vizquel are 33 & 34 now, the Indians as a team obviously didn't do a good job preventing runs. Alomar & Vizquel's range factor numbers were weak and not as good as their backups. Let's face it, Alomar and Vizquel aren't good defensive players anymore. Sure they were great in their peak but no longer, they still make the flashy plays but they just don't have it anymore.

Bmr31
11-08-2001, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by idseer

some months ago many were actually suggesting valentin was JUST as good! their hatred of his usurping jose in the field turned rational thinking to mush.
royce's fielding was absolutely on a par with omar's when you factor in some 20+ fewer games.

dude you must not have been paying very close attention. Ive been backing royce for months!

Paulwny
11-08-2001, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Why would all the gold glove players come from playoff teams? Most MVP and Cy Young candidates come from good, playoff contender, teams too. The other one is exposure. Hunter would have been just as great if the Twins won 70 games this year and I don't think there is a single person foolish enough to admit he'd win the gold glove if the Twins didn't have half of a cinderella season.

As for beefs with the awards, I sure as hell have ones with Alomar and Vizquel. .

Isn't the award given out by Rawlings and not sposored by mlb? Player recognition is very important when you're selling sports equipment.

idseer
11-08-2001, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

dude you must not have been paying very close attention. Ive been backing royce for months!

if you paid a little closer attention you would have noticed i qualified with words like 'many' and 'some'.
i know you've backed royce also, but we were in an obvious minority.

voodoochile
11-08-2001, 09:02 AM

Actually, I would prefer to have Jose at SS. Not because I think he is better at defense (I think they are about even when you factor in the arm strength, range factor and ability to turn two), but because I want Jose playing every day, because he gives so much more at the plate (nearly .200 OPS higher than Royce this year) and SS is Jose's best position.

But... I don't want to reopen this old can of worms. I hope Clayton is gone like yesterday's dogcrap at the start of next year. What he gives the Sox isn't nearly enough to keep him, IMO.

If you re-read my post, I said he had as good a season as can be expected of him defensively. That is not a ringing endorsement, merely saying, "that is as good as it gets", and it wasn't bad, but it isn't what I (for one) want either...

Bmr31
11-08-2001, 04:14 PM

if you paid a little closer attention you would have noticed i qualified with words like 'many' and 'some'.
i know you've backed royce also, but we were in an obvious minority.

and if you paid attention a little closer you would note that you said SOME HERE FINALLY, and i responded by saying ive been a royce backer for months.