PDA

View Full Version : ISU's School Newspaper Gets It All Wrong

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to share some things from today's (5-3-05) student newspaper down here at Illinois State in the Sports Section that someone wrote about the Cubs/Sox...

1.) "And for the record, the most intolerable commentator in all of sports is Hawk Harrelson. His sputtered, rushed one-liners are too rehearsed and tired. If you do not agree, next time you hear his broadcast, just listen to all the dead air he provides"

2.) "Imagine if the Sox were in their usual South Side anonymity and the Bulls were not in the playoffs? [? -great editing on that one] Wrigleyville would be a battleground. On behalf of the Cubs, I would like to thank the Sox for their impressive start. They are just giving the Cubs a chance to get it together without all the attention."

3.) "If there is indeed a baseball-related curse over the beloved Cubbies, it spreads all over the city of Chicago...but no. 2 on that list [championship droughts] are the less than loveable losers from the South Side, the Sox."

Yep. It's banter like that I have to put up with on a daily basis. Just thought you guys would find it interesting that even the lowliest of media is anti-Sox.

MUScholar21
05-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Just thought you guys would find it interesting that even the lowliest of media is anti-Sox.

:farmer "He knocked it out of the park!"

Nice line.:bandance:

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Actually, the lowliest media just parrots what it hears from above. It's easier that way. This is like that tool who tried to cram as many tired clichés and stereotypes into his article for the campus paper of kittle42's alma mater. Why spend all that time and energy coming up with something unique? Articles like this do little more than confirm the inherent laziness or follow-the-bewildered-herd-ness of its author.

mike squires
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I'll admit Hawk might have slowed a bit over the years but he is by far not intolerable. He in Scully in my opionion are one of the few that doesn't sound the same...

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
1.) "And for the record, the most intolerable commentator in all of sports is Hawk Harrelson. His sputtered, rushed one-liners are too rehearsed and tired. If you do not agree, next time you hear his broadcast, just listen to all the dead air he provides"

Wait, this IS coming from a fan of the team who features Ron Santo as 50% of its radio broadcast team.

Right?

:rolleyes:

alohafri
05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
"They are just giving the Cubs a chance to get it together without all the attention."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a good laugh on an otherwise dull day.

--Mrs. Aloha

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Just wanted to share some things from today's (5-3-05) student newspaper down here at Illinois State in the Sports Section that someone wrote about the Cubs/Sox...

2.) "Imagine if the Sox were in their usual South Side anonymity and the Bulls were not in the playoffs? [? -great editing on that one] Wrigleyville would be a battleground. On behalf of the Cubs, I would like to thank the Sox for their impressive start. They are just giving the Cubs a chance to get it together without all the attention."

3.) "If there is indeed a baseball-related curse over the beloved Cubbies, it spreads all over the city of Chicago...but no. 2 on that list [championship droughts] are the less than loveable losers from the South Side, the Sox."

Yep. It's banter like that I have to put up with on a daily basis. Just thought you guys would find it interesting that even the lowliest of media is anti-Sox.

::Yawn: How original. ::Yawn::

The first time I heard this stuff, it worked me up. Now, whatever, I don't care. Is there some kind of Cubbie newsletter that gets passed around to fans with instructions on what to write in the media and post on the internet? Its all the same. The only things he didn't add was "Garland will come back to earth", "More people come to Cubs games", and "The Sox won't last."

Boring. Really, are Sox fans still getting worked up when reading this jealous Cubbie drivel?

Nellie_Fox
And some of you wonder why many of us hate everything about the Cubs.

seanpmurphy
"They are just giving the Cubs a chance to get it together without all the attention."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a good laugh on an otherwise dull day.

--Mrs. Aloha

Yeah I especially found that one hilarious. Gosh! I wish the media would just get off of the Sox just ONE DAY and start giving attention to the Cubs.

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't think this is the first time someone posted a college newspaper article that bashes the Sox. These articles are meaningless. All they show is that some stupid Cub fan went to college and decided to use his position on the school paper to spew his anti-Sox propaganda. I'm sure this clown spends his summers getting drunk at Wrigley Field and without paying attention to the games.

.......or maybe he's angling for a job with the Tribune after he graduates. You have to admit, something like this would look pretty good on his resume in the Cubune's eyes!

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 02:42 PM
.......or maybe he's angling for a job with the Tribune after he graduates. You have to admit, something like this would look pretty good on his resume in the Cubune's eyes!

:knue
"This guy has the kind of journalistic intergrity we look for at chicagosports.com. Now, if only he can work the Ligues into his next article..."

Iwritecode
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Yea right. Like the Cubs aren't getting attention because the Sox are playing so well. Their horrible start has been all over local and nation media.

What planet is this guy from again?!? :?:

TaylorStSox
05-04-2005, 02:48 PM
And some of you wonder why many of us hate everything about the Cubs.

It's not the Cubs fault that some hack at ISU writes poor editorials.

samram
05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that every year every student newspaper from every college around the state has an article by some dumbass Cubs' fan which rips into the Sox?

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that every year every student newspaper from every college around the state has an article by some dumbass Cubs' fan which rips into the Sox?

Yep, nothing new, some dumbass Cub fan gets on a college newspaper and uses it as a soap box for his ignorant anti-Sox crap. There's absolutely no insight in any of these articles.

Wait a minute - I thought Sox fans hated the Cubs but Cub fans couldn't care less about the Sox! What a surprise that this lie is proved wrong again.

Tom~Attitude
05-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Sometimes I think that the Creator of the Universe has put Flub fans on this Earth strictly for our amusement. I can see no other reason. So, let's marvel at their stupidity!

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Everyone knows all Sox fans are inbred hicks who are too dumb for college.

MeanFish
05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Yep, nothing new, some dumbass Cub fan gets on a college newspaper and uses it as a soap box for his ignorant anti-Sox crap. There's absolutely no insight in any of these articles.

Wait a minute - I thought Sox fans hated the Cubs but Cub fans couldn't care less about the Sox! What a surprise that this lie is proved wrong again.

I'm particularly proud of my alma-mater regarding the one Sox article written this year. :smile:

http://www.westerncourier.com/news/2005/04/25/Sports/What-About.The.White.Sox-936428.shtml?page=1

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2005, 04:15 PM

What, the Illinois State Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane?
1) Hawk is not the worst guy on the telecasts for the Sox, let alone the worst guy in the media from Chicago. Case in point: Ron Santo
2) Yeah, the sCrUBS are sure lacking in media attention. If and when the Bulls hit the wall, may the sharp spotlight of reality get focused on the north side. I'm sure they'll "get it together" by then.
3) No, sCrUB-related curses do NOT spread out over the whole city. We may be less than lovable (to them, anyhow) but losers? NO!

SMO
:gulp:

Goose
05-04-2005, 04:18 PM
HURRY!

I ran out of toilet paper...can you send me a copy of that article?

Forget it...I got the Sun Times here...Jay will do just fine!

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm particularly proud of my alma-mater regarding the one Sox article written this year. :smile:

http://www.westerncourier.com/news/2005/04/25/Sports/What-About.The.White.Sox-936428.shtml?page=1Jeez, a college paper that requires registration. Give me a break.

I could read the first page that your link took me to, but when I tried to go to the second page to read the rest, I was directed to a log-in page.

ondafarm
05-04-2005, 04:41 PM

http://www.westerncourier.com/news/2005/04/25/Sports/What-About.The.White.Sox-936428.shtml?page=1

How interesting that they use the word "scorning". A noun which has not only suffered the indignity of being verbed, but adding further insult of being participled.

hsnterprize
05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Here are my observations from this typically-less-than-stellar piece of crap...uh, journalism. And to think, I went to journalism school and work professionally on occasion, and this comes natural for me.

First...'"And for the record, the most intolerable commentator in all of sports is Hawk Harrelson. His sputtered, rushed one-liners are too rehearsed and tired. If you do not agree, next time you hear his broadcast, just listen to all the dead air he provides"'

If Ken "Hawk" Harrleson were the play-by-play man for a certain team based on the north side of Chicago, this dolt would be revelling in his quirkiness, off-cantorism, "Southern charm", and simple, yet to-the-point style of commentary. While Hawk can't "go off" like he wants to sometimes because of broadcast rules and his connection with the Sox, there's no doubt that Hawk truly loves this team and all associated with it. The last time the Cubs had someone like Hawk doing this kind of announcing, it was some old guy who constantly proclaimed his "Cub Fan, Bud Man" bantor while slurring the words to "Take Me Out To The Ball Game". The "most intolerable commentator" works for this wannabe mediot's competition, and he can't stand the succes Hawk's having. Look at all the national commentators using phrases like "He gawn", "git 'er done", and "can o' corn" in their reports. For some strange reason, we're a lot more versed in such venerable English language with such phrases as "hang wiff 'em", and "I love it when..." since a constantly-overlooked baseball team has the best record in the bigs. Boy...how much would we hate it if Hawk were the Cubs' announcer?

Who the heck is this guy trying to fool? If there's one thing the Cubs will not be successful in, that's being successful without all the attention. Even when they "surprised the world" a couple of years ago with their division title, they did it with the attention they usually get. The Cubs have cornered the market in popularity with their marketing and promotion over the years...something the White Sox are finally starting to make a run at thanks for Brooks Boyer. However, if this moron thinks the CUbs are going to start making a run "under the radar", he's crazy. The moment it even looks like the Cubs are going to make a post-season run, the media will be all over it like a cheap suit. That's one of the too-many-to-mention reasons why the Cubs choked last season...they couldn't handle all the pressure.

"If there is indeed a baseball-related curse over the beloved Cubbies, it spreads all over the city of Chicago...but no. 2 on that list [championship droughts] are the less than loveable losers from the South Side, the Sox."

Now this knucklehead is resorting to desperate tactics. Since he can't properly explain away his teams' lack of success, he's turning to the same ilk his team is famous for. If anyone knows anything about the White Sox (and it's pretty obvious this dolt doesn't), there is NO CURSE. But, it'll take some winning to convince idiots like this guy we don't believe in curses. Besides...why take a "loveable losers" tag on when you can show a World Series Championship Trophy in critics' faces and tell them, "You can have your ivy covered brick walls, your bars across the street, your B-list celebs pretending to sing, and all that's about the Flubs and Wrigley...we'll just take our championship trophy and be satisfied."

SeanPMurphy...don't you worry your head off. This is typical anti-Sox rhetoric we've been subject to for years. The general M.O. is that the Sox, and everything associated with them (i.e., the fans, the ballpark, the neighborhood around the ballpark) are bad, while it's all good with the Cubs and everything associated with them. It's upsetting, but that's okay. Ask this moron when was the last time his team won a World Championship with all the hype they get? With all the attention and love they get...surely they must have earned with a winning tradition and titles galore, right? Oops, I'm sorry...we're talking about the Cubs. Goat manure shaped like a Cubs' logo is more accepted with people like this author. But we'll just take our great team, and leaved dolts like him in the dust when he decides to jump on the Sox bandwagon at the end of the year.

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM

Cool! Every now and then the truth gets told.

MeanFish
05-04-2005, 07:10 PM
How interesting that they use the word "scorning". A noun which has not only suffered the indignity of being verbed, but adding further insult of being participled.

Hm...scorning is a weird word. I much prefer "scornification." Not that that's a real word...

TDog
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
... or maybe he's angling for a job with the Tribune after he graduates. You have to admit, something like this would look pretty good on his resume in the Cubune's eyes!

Nothing I've seen indicates he has the necessary skills to graduate with any kind of degree.

OKCidiot
05-05-2005, 02:49 AM

I can assure you that back in 1987 and 1990 the same thing occurred at NIU, where two different NORTHERN STAR sports editors used their weekly column in the opinion section to kiss Cubbie Blue ass and inject feeble shots at the White Sox and their fans. I was able to get the last laugh on both of them with written rebuttals that both made the paper. I especially enjoyed the second one, where I responded to his "10 reasons why the Cubs are better than the Sox" column and ripped him to shreds point by point. I still have copies of them somewhere... gonna have to dig 'em out.