PDA

View Full Version : Gary Miller live chat on ESPN.com

ChiSox14305635
05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Only mentioning this because there have been 2 Sox questions:

Mike (Il): Gary, Why does every leading story on baseball constantly begin/end with the Yankess, when clearly the White Sox are teh best story of the year to date ? Is it program directing, or a popularity contest ? The Yanks are 10-16, so there isn't much to talk about. Thanks !

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Gary Miller: (1:07 PM ET ) Mike, as an Illinois native, I understand your plight. Growing up a Cub fan, I understand why even in their hometown, the White Sox are a second class citizen. They should get more recognition, and I think the record they set last night will help them. Having worked here at the World Wide Leader here in Bristol for eight years, I know that the story is the Yankees doing well -- and if they're not, the story is, why not? Like it or not, the Yankees always draw the most interest, even if it's fans who take a liking in them NOT doing well.

And:

Scott (Rockaway NJ): Gary: It seems that every compliment I see for The White Sox is alway followed by a qualifier. "They are doing great...but." Then a comment about how they still will not be able to stay with the Twins. What will it take for the "experts" to finally admit these guys can play?

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Gary Miller: (1:34 PM ET ) Scott, you haven't heard that from me! I thought going into the season that they'd give the Twins a run. There's been no indication so far that these two won't battle all they way into Sept. The Sox problem has been their inability to beat the Twins, but I think Ken Williams acquisition of Tadahito I guchi has been one of the most significant additions of any overseas player, and it's a guy that NO ONE ELSE was talking about. ... He had four more hits last night.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8052

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
He's right about Iguchi, no one seems to be talking about him outside of Chicago. This guy has been awesome so far.

ChiSox14305635
05-04-2005, 02:04 PM
One more from the chat:

Al(Chicago): Gary...Let me just say it is refreshing to see ESPN expert pay a compliment to the White Sox without the before mentioned qualifier.....As a Whaite Sox fan let me thank you..

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sn2.gif Gary Miller: (1:50 PM ET ) My pleasure, I'm a big Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen advocate -- love their pitching, depth and offseason moves. BUT, the White Sox could really use each of our correspondents to show up at whatever they are calling Comiskey Park this year to support the club that has held the lead in consecutive games longer than EVERY SINGLE team in baseball history.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Dennis Gilbert, special advisor to Uncle Jerry, was a guest on Fox Sports Radio this afternoon with Chris Myers and they were talking about Iguchi.

Lip

elrod
05-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I've heard remarkably little from the Chicago media on Iguchi, not to mention the national media.

The Racehorse
05-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I've heard remarkably little from the Chicago media on Iguchi, not to mention the national media.

Last night, mlb.tv had the Royals feed... their announcers noticed the lack of Chicago media attention on the 1st place SOX, mentioning it over the air.

MIgrenade
05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
What is with the constant "whatever they are calling Comiskey Park this year" jabs? That switch happened YEARS AGO, get over it, call it whatever you want. I bothers me because it's like people want to call the Sox sell outs when every team has their park named after a company.

kevingrt
05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Gary Miller is my new favorite national media guy for baseball. He is one of the few to give the White Sox respect.

White Sox Josh
05-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Gary Miller is my new favorite national media guy for baseball. He is one of the few to give the White Sox respect.Same here. he is knowledgable and he is a cool guy. I met him at a Sox game.

Foulke You
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
What is with the constant "whatever they are calling Comiskey Park this year" jabs? That switch happened YEARS AGO, get over it, call it whatever you want. I bothers me because it's like people want to call the Sox sell outs when every team has their park named after a company.

I've wondered that myself and I've only come to one conclusion. The place the Sox play in was known as Comiskey Park for the most of the 104 years we've been in existence, with the exception of a few years in the 70s when it was known as "White Sox Park". So, even though other places have corporate named parks, it is more jarring to not call the place the White Sox play, "Comiskey Park". Kind've like if the Yankees called their park "Motorola Field" or if Boston decided to call Fenway "John Hancock Financial Park", the media would probably respond to those in a similar manner. Honestly, I'm not bothered too much by the US Cellular name because the money went into making the park look great and the tradition behind the Comiskey name was left behind the "baseball palace of the world" that used to be across the street. Then again, maybe they just take a jab at us because that is what the media does to the Sox...:tongue:

Tragg
05-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Fellow old-timers can correct me if I'm wrong, but when Gary Miller was growing up (don't know his age, but it's probably around mine), the Sox were NOT second class citizens - that status began around the Cubs went on super-station.
I only lived in chicago for the last 6 months of 1957, the first 6 months of my life (but the loyalty runs deep!), so my first hand knowledge is a tad fuzzy in my mind.