PDA

View Full Version : What's the best value section at The Cell?

ChicagoHoosier
05-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Where do you like to sit when you buy tickets? Let's say no promotions, full priced ticket. Do you like the bleachers vs. lower reserved? Or rather pay extra to get a close to the infield as possible? Or, is the best value in the UD?

What do you like the best if you were to go on a random night (like tonight perhaps?)

ND_Sox_Fan
05-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Best value is Upper Deck Reserved - especially if I can get the first row - I'll go out as far as I have to in order to get it too. Great view - no one in your way.

mweflen
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
UDR, Section 520, Rows 1 and 2.

I hesitate to call it a "value," though. $14 is pretty exorbitant compared to other clubs' sub-$10 value sections.

LVSoxFan
05-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't think there's many "value seats" at the Cell.

I always get bleachers, but they're expensive, IMO. And I HATE this new "tier system", where they cost more if they're playing Baltimore than they do if they're playing KC.

But bleachers are great because you can see the whole field, I prefer the bench, and you can wander around the concourse all day, which I usually end up doing. I guess if you got bleachers and managed to get a rail seat on the fan deck--that would be sweet. Bar right there... yep, that would get my vote, price-wise.

mweflen
05-04-2005, 12:34 PM
The bleachers are an awful value for the price. But the other amenities mentioned are true. The concourse is nice and the fan deck is sweet. If you like the view, it's the best "value" in the LD.

Tekijawa
05-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Upperdeck tickets to get in and sitting in the ground level of the Bullpen Sports Bar...

Nuff Said

na_na_na_na
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Upperdeck plus the upper level of the bullpen bar deck. I prefer the elevated perspective.

elrod
05-04-2005, 02:50 PM
If you have kids, then the Lower Deck is pretty key, what with all the accoutrements on the concourse. However, on the Upper Deck you get a great view of non-stop freight train action. And for a 3-year-old boy, that's a GREAT distraction from a long game.

mweflen
05-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Actually, if you have kids, it would be wise to consider section 544 UDR. A good compromise between view (about even with 3rd base bag); and proximity to Fundamentals, which is accessible from 500 level.

HomeFish
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Section 159 and thereabouts; I like being close to some of the players, and out there you get the left fielders plus the Sox bullpen.

Tonight, I may actually get seats in RF near the visitor's bullpen, but the same is true there.

D. TODD
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Upper deck premium box! Great view and they cost less then bleacher seats.

ewokpelts
05-04-2005, 04:42 PM
i am a st holder, so belive me when there are no value sections

thanks jerry!

:reinsy
you're welcome you cheap bastards

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 04:48 PM
i am a st holder, so belive me when there are no value sections

Yep. My 9-game plan this year is in the non-premium area of the UD, whereas before I was able to score great tickets right behind home plate in the first few rows for a relative pittance. I went with the cheaper seats because, well, they're not nearly as cheap this year, considering most of the games I picked were weekend and "premier" series. I'm actually spending more this year to sit in worse seats.

I know this is a subject of endless debate around here, but I honestly think the Sox would draw more people and probably make more money if they lowered their ticket prices across the board, with a few exceptions like the Flubs series. Instead it seems like they're trying to milk you for all you're worth with every visit.

steff
05-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think there's many "value seats" at the Cell.

I always get bleachers, but they're expensive, IMO. And I HATE this new "tier system", where they cost more if they're playing Baltimore than they do if they're playing KC.

The tier system is based on the day of the week and premium (Cubs, Boston, NY, LA) games. Baltimore is not premium because they are playing Baltimore.. the Friday to Sunday tickets are more cause they are weekend games. Detroit, Minnesota, Seattle, Cleveland, Angels are also prime priced cause they are on weekends.

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Baltimore is not premium because they are playing Baltimore..

Huh?

SMO
:?: :dunno:

SpammySosa
05-04-2005, 05:44 PM
If you have kids, then the Lower Deck is pretty key, what with all the accoutrements on the concourse. However, on the Upper Deck you get a great view of non-stop freight train action. And for a 3-year-old boy, that's a GREAT distraction from a long game.

Take your boy to a Mark Buehrle game-problem solved.:D:

ChicagoHoosier
05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Huh?

SMO
:?: :dunno:

Steff's explaining the diff btwn Prime vs. Premium. Only Premium games are Boston, NY, and LA Dodgers (Cubs have their own bracket). Baltimore is not a Premium game, but the Sat/Sun games are Prime.

elrod
05-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Take your boy to a Mark Buehrle game-problem solved.:D:

Done. Twice, actually. We went to the 1:39 special this year, and the long drawn out 14-11 game against Philly last year. We were also at the infamous Torii Hunter-Jamie Burke game too. We were walking back from checking out the freight trains when I glanced up and saw Hunter plow into home. Little did I realize how significant that was.:angry:

boiler up
05-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Where do you like to sit when you buy tickets? Let's say no promotions, full priced ticket. Do you like the bleachers vs. lower reserved? Or rather pay extra to get a close to the infield as possible? Or, is the best value in the UD?

What do you like the best if you were to go on a random night (like tonight perhaps?)

bleachers

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 06:07 PM
When New Comiskey opened in 1991 the bleachers were easily the best value in the ballpark. However those seats (benches?) have seen the greatest percentage increase of any section in the ballpark and they really aren't any great value anymore. You're basically paying for the amenities of being on the main concourse with the worst view of anybody on that level.

Lots of fans got wise about the "Comiskey upgrade," buying a cheap upper deck seat and then standing around on the outfield concourse to watch the game or socialize. Of course the Ligues and Dybas put an end to that so UD ticketholders can't go on the main concourse anymore.

Best value today is probably the upper deck provided you get seats in the infield, preferably behind homeplate.

You can learn more about Comiskey seat prices here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2053).

cubhater
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I prefer lower deck reserved behind the Sox bullpen. Good view of the action, get to see the relievers warm up, and I'm friends with lots of the beer vendors in that area.:gulp:

ChicagoHoosier
05-04-2005, 11:30 PM
So, tonight I took the L down to the game and bought a ticket for less than face value. My seat was in 122 in row 13, but i actually sat in row 11 for a little while. Having never sat in the bullpen bar, I also forked over the $15 (I thought it was $10, but by then I had emotionally committed) to check out the experience from there. I was surprised how empty the picnic tables were, but know that for most games they go quickly. I also moved around checking out 101 row 3 (where i'll be sitting for the Tribe game on 6/4), the bleachers, and then over to the 3rd baseline/behind the plate right next to the scout seats.

Having said all that, I'm not sure there is an easy answer to my question (not having ventured to the UD this year). I love every spot in this ballpark and think it's priced right other than the bleachers. For $2 more, you can get lower reserved and have a cupholder and your own seat, so I think they are overpriced slightly. But for a night with low attendence like tonight, you could just buy the bleacher seat and sit almost wherever you want if you're in pairs or a single.

It's all good! Great game tonight, great time checking out the different angles, and I think i'll continue to get lower reserved for my games that aren't my Minnie packagae, which are Lower Box but towards the corners (not as good of "value" as lower reserved IMO).

Cheers.

ChicagoHoosier
05-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I prefer lower deck reserved behind the Sox bullpen. Good view of the action, get to see the relievers warm up, and I'm friends with lots of the beer vendors in that area.:gulp:

In my rambling disseration just prior to this post, I left out that I also spent an inning in 159 right by the bullpen. Very very cool to see Polite and Damaso warming up! So, i think I'd lean towards the 157-159 sections over the 104-107 sections just because of that. But they don't seem to have as much availability.

I almost bought a ticket for 531 row 3 on ticketmaster, but was too cheap to pay the $4 fee. Which obviously I think turned around and paid $15 for the bullpen picnic table instead. Next time... UD! For a change of pace.

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
The only premeir games this season are Spanks, BoSox, and the Dodgers. I don't even think the upcoming Baltimore series is listed as "Prime" which usually weekend games are. At least not according to this nifty Sox Pride schedule I got at the gas station :)

ewokpelts
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
there are "regular" "prime" premire" and "cubs" games

regular april/may, and all weekdays
prime opener, fri-sun from june on
premium bos, ny, lad
cubs...nuff sed

WhiteSox16K
05-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Of course the Ligues and Dybas put an end to that so UD ticketholders can't go on the main concourse anymore.

Or the Sox version of, "Preventing concession and bathroom overflow on the main concourse." I don't know if anyone actually buys that explanation though.

soxfanreggie
05-05-2005, 12:21 AM
I had 3rd row from the top right behind center plate (it was a Tuesday game), but I had a perfect view of the plate and it was just an overall great view. My friend who has been to several parks but never the Cell said we had the best ballpark he's ever seen (comparing to Wrigley, Busch, Shea, and a few others).

BainesHOF
05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I don't think the Sox really have a value seat per se, but the bleachers are still good. You get a great view of the pitches and have a great perspective of the field. Bathrooms and concession stands are all nearby.

In my opinion, sitting down the lines sucks. You have no perspective of the pitches, the seats aren't angled right and venders block your view all the time.

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 12:27 AM

best value is section 530,531 in the first few rows, perfect view of the game. I like it more than sitting in the lower box for the most part

WhiteSox16K
05-05-2005, 12:33 AM
My favorite would be the free tickets my girlfriend got me for my birthday; diamond suite tickets just off to the side 1st base side, behind home plate. (The 400 level, I think)

Seriously though, I really dislike going up to the UD for some reason tho, but will do so if I have to. This is probably because I was spoiled with season tickets in left field, until we got rid of them last year. :(: I would have to say that for value, the bleachers would be my choice, although the lower reserved (OF non-bleachers) are now relatively similar in price. Stupid management!!!:angry:

sox_fan_forever
05-05-2005, 12:33 AM
best value is section 530,531 in the first few rows, perfect view of the game. I like it more than sitting in the lower box for the most part

I have to agree with you on that. I like to sit in the lower bowel once or twice a year just for something different, but I do prefer the upper deck. 530 and 531 are my favorite sections.

Sox of White
05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Any seat is a good seat in my book. I just love the smell of the park, and the whole atmosphere. Of course being a poor IIT student, I usually have the cheaper seats, and I find the upper deck to be more than satisfactory. Get a close row, and it is even better. Outfield is a pretty good value too.

ChicagoHoosier
05-05-2005, 08:23 AM
In my opinion, sitting down the lines sucks. You have no perspective of the pitches, the seats aren't angled right and venders block your view all the time.

I also have to agree with you. My minnie plan, I requested lower box seats, so three of my games are in either 154 or 110 in the first few rows. It actually is a hard way to watch a game and I won't sit there again if I have the choice. I'd rather sit in the outfield than in the corner like that, plus it's cheaper.

Only problem with the UD is you can't walk around the lower deck, checking out the different things like fan deck or other stuff. But I'm going to try it at least once this year.

steff
05-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Steff's explaining the diff btwn Prime vs. Premium. Only Premium games are Boston, NY, and LA Dodgers (Cubs have their own bracket). Baltimore is not a Premium game, but the Sat/Sun games are Prime.

Thanks Hoosier.

kevingrt
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
I also have to agree with you. My minnie plan, I requested lower box seats, so three of my games are in either 154 or 110 in the first few rows. It actually is a hard way to watch a game and I won't sit there again if I have the choice. I'd rather sit in the outfield than in the corner like that, plus it's cheaper.

Only problem with the UD is you can't walk around the lower deck, checking out the different things like fan deck or other stuff. But I'm going to try it at least once this year.

I have to agree with you... down the lines sucks. Vendors get in the way you can't see pitches and it just doesn't seem right. In the outfield you can see the pitches and it just seems like a better atmosphere. Really though if down the lines is a last option I'd take it any day.

As for teh guys that like first or second row in the Upper Deck, those are pretty awesome seats to. You get a better eye on the pitch and it's greta for a foul ball for any foul ball seekers out there.

But my personal preference is anywhere in the bleachers or lower reserved that's not behind the bullpens. Get a great view of the plate and the fans out there are classic if you can stand a little profanity from time to time. All-in-all anywhere in the ballpark is great because the Cell is amazing. Except it's a little bit on the pricey side, just a lil bit, cough.

jake27
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
off the top of my head i dont know the sections, but my favorite seats are right by the white sox bullpen. in terms ov "value", i have no problem going for UP reserved seats. they are cheap and they will get you into the game, thats enough for me.