PDA

View Full Version : Harold/ejections

mike squires
05-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Kittle talks about in his book that Harold never got shook up on calls or brush backs. So I'm wondering, Did Harold ever get kicked out of a game? I'm sure old media guides will tell you.

Paulwny
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Kittle talks about in his book that Harold never got shook up on calls or brush backs. So I'm wondering, Did Harold ever get kicked out of a game? I'm sure old media guides will tell you.

According to the Baseball Library he was ejected from a game in 1998, no particulars given for the ejection.

tebman
05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Don't know about ejections, but the only time I remember Baines showing emotion was in a long-ago at-bat when the ump called a strike on a pitch that was clearly not a strike. Baines glanced back at the ump without an expression. On a later pitch that was also clearly a ball, the ump called strike three -- Harold let his bat drop on the plate and walked back to the dugout.

Now for him, that's mad.

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Don't know about ejections, but the only time I remember Baines showing emotion was in a long-ago at-bat when the ump called a strike on a pitch that was clearly not a strike. Baines glanced back at the ump without an expression. On a later pitch that was also clearly a ball, the ump called strike three -- Harold let his bat drop on the plate and walked back to the dugout.

Now for him, that's mad.

That may have been the game when he was ejected. Here's what I found in a Lexis/Nexis search (the story is of a 7-4 Twins win over the O's, 9 Aug 98):

>>
Foster called out Harold Baines on a Rick Aguilera pitch on the inside corner. "Harold was probably upset at the previous strike," catcher Terry Steinbach said. "That pitch might have been down."

Baines dropped his bat and walked away grumbling. Foster followed him a couple of steps and ejected Baines.
<<

tebman
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
That may have been the game when he was ejected. Here's what I found in a Lexis/Nexis search (the story is of a 7-4 Twins win over the O's, 9 Aug 98):

>>
Foster called out Harold Baines on a Rick Aguilera pitch on the inside corner. "Harold was probably upset at the previous strike," catcher Terry Steinbach said. "That pitch might have been down."

Baines dropped his bat and walked away grumbling. Foster followed him a couple of steps and ejected Baines.
<<

That sounds like the AB I remember, though I didn't remember that he was ejected. In my mind it seemed like longer back than '98 (but many things earlier than last Tuesday seem like a fog to me :tongue: ).

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
That sounds like the AB I remember, though I didn't remember that he was ejected. In my mind it seemed like longer back than '98 (but many things earlier than last Tuesday seem like a fog to me :tongue: ).

I was surprised to see he was ejected for something so penny-ante, though the story did say both managers were very unhappy with the umpiring that day.

mike squires
05-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow, I totally remember that at bat. I can't believe it's been 7 years.