PDA

View Full Version : Sox Paraphernalia in the Movies

FRANK FORT
05-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Does anyone have any good examples of seeing Sox paraphernalia in movies? For example, in the movie "Back to School", Rodney Dangerfield's son Jason Melon has an '83 Sox pennant on his dorm wall. Another example is in "The Breakfast Club", where the dean has a Sox batting helmet in his office. This is a slight from director Hughes I would imagine, seeing as the dean is the jerk of the movie, and in all Hughes other movies there is always a bunch of Cubs stuff in "cool" people's rooms.

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 09:18 AM
This is a slight from director Hughes I would imagine, seeing as the dean is the jerk of the movie, and in all Hughes other movies there is always a bunch of Cubs stuff in "cool" people's rooms.

I recall hearing that John Hughes was actually a Sox fan. People associate him with the Cubs because of that scene in "Ferris Bueller" but the story I heard was that Hughes only filmed at Wrigley because the Sox were out of town or something when he was filming. Maybe I heard wrong, though. That being said, I haven't seen a John Hughes movie in years, so I can't remember where he placed Cubs or Sox memorabilia.

Dick Allen
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Does anyone have any good examples of seeing Sox paraphernalia in movies? For example, in the movie "Back to School", Rodney Dangerfield's son Jason Melon has an '83 Sox pennant on his dorm wall. Another example is in "The Breakfast Club", where the dean has a Sox batting helmet in his office. This is a slight from director Hughes I would imagine, seeing as the dean is the jerk of the movie, and in all Hughes other movies there is always a bunch of Cubs stuff in "cool" people's rooms.Don't forget that the custodian wore a Sox jersey.

TDog
05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
... Another example is in "The Breakfast Club", where the dean has a Sox batting helmet in his office. This is a slight from director Hughes I would imagine, seeing as the dean is the jerk of the movie, and in all Hughes other movies there is always a bunch of Cubs stuff in "cool" people's rooms.

The "Breakfast Club" authority figure is made out to be a bully and a jerk. I didn't notice the Sox helmet in his office. I'm not even sure if it is his office in the movie. It's been a while since I've seen the movie. I simply don't remember. That may have been the scene where he's talking to the custodian, who is portrayed as a real, honest person, common sense person. What I remember about that scene is not a batting helmet in the background, but the custodian wearing a White Sox T-shirt.

In John Hughes' directors' narration in "Ferris Bueller" he introduces the Cubs references by saying, "Not a Cubs fan. Never will be." In his "Only the Lonely," the Sox are THE team in Chicago, as has been discussed here before.

If you're new to the reference, find the movie and rent it. You too will be wondering how they could "tear this whole place down."

FRANK FORT
05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
If Hughes is such a Sox fan, you mean to tell me that he could'nt wait for the Sox to come back from a road trip in order to film at Comiskey. What would you have done?

FRANK FORT
05-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Besides, the most important part is the catching of the fly ball, and that could be accomplished with the team there or not. You put extras in the seats, or, according to John Kruk, you could just have Bueller out there by himself watching the foul hit an empty seat.

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 12:51 PM
If Hughes is such a Sox fan, you mean to tell me that he could'nt wait for the Sox to come back from a road trip in order to film at Comiskey. What would you have done?

Honestly, I think the Cubs game was just more convenient for the movie. Ferris had to be at a day game and back then that was all the Cubs played at home. To wait for the Sox to be in town and play a day game would have held up production, which means $$$$$. I doubt that you get the studio to halt everything for a 2 minute shot with your favorite team.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
In 'Running Scared,' starring Billy Crystal and the late Gregory Hines, Hines wears a mid 80's Sox hat throughout the movie. He also wears a Bears Payton jersey.

Crystal wears a #10 Cubs jersey and a Blackhawks jersey during the movie. (It was set in Chicago)

There was also a crime series on NBC-TV during the 80's starring former cop Dennis Farina. It was set in Chicago in 1960. That series often had worked into it references to the White Sox (since in that time frame they were just coming off the A.L. pennant.) I remember one episode where Aparicio and Minoso were mentioned. Sorry I forget the name of the show but it wasn't bad.

Lip

robiwho
05-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have any good examples of seeing Sox paraphernalia in movies?

I seem to recall a Big Hurt jersey on the wall of Tom Cruise's office in Jerry McGuire. I think it's about the only thing I remember from that movie.

FRANK FORT
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
In the movie Ronin, with Deniro, he's going up an escalator in France, and some chick behind him is wearing a Sox hat. Another one is the movie "Nothing in Common" with Jackie Gleason and Tom Hanks, where the husband of the black cleaning lady has a Sox jacket on.

DumpJerry
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I recall seeing one or two Sox-related items in "Field of Dreams."

Uncle_Patrick
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM

There was a bunch of Sox-stuff in "Eight Men Out", too.

SomebodyToldMe
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
There was a bunch of Sox-stuff in "Eight Men Out", too.

But I always thought that "Sox" meant Red Sox?!

CubKilla
05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
There was also a crime series on NBC-TV during the 80's starring former cop Dennis Farina. It was set in Chicago in 1960. That series often had worked into it references to the White Sox (since in that time frame they were just coming off the A.L. pennant.) I remember one episode where Aparicio and Minoso were mentioned. Sorry I forget the name of the show but it wasn't bad.

Lip

Crime Story was the name of the TV show.

StrTrkker
05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
The Julia Roberts film "My Best Friends Wedding" actually features Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field now). In fact, I think either Julia Roberts or Cameron Diaz has a Sox jersey & cap on in a few scenes in the stands.

LongLiveFisk
05-04-2005, 06:56 PM

Yeah but you notice all the Cubs stuff? No? Me neither!!
:roflmao:

Parrothead
05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
The Julia Roberts film "My Best Friends Wedding" actually features Comiskey Park (US Cellular Field now). In fact, I think either Julia Roberts or Cameron Diaz has a Sox jersey & cap on in a few scenes in the stands.

There was also a movie that John Candy and Alley Sheedy (I think) went to old Comiskey Park for some reason. I can't remember why or the name of the movie.

The Racehorse
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
In 'Running Scared,' starring Billy Crystal and the late Gregory Hines, Hines wears a mid 80's Sox hat throughout the movie. He also wears a Bears Payton jersey.

The late?! :?:

[just did a search... :(: ]

samram
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
There was also a movie that John Candy and Alley Sheedy (I think) went to old Comiskey Park for some reason. I can't remember why or the name of the movie.

'Only the Lonely', discussed earlier in the thread.

bayzbol44
05-04-2005, 08:01 PM
At the beginning of Mr. Baseball they show Big Hurt. However, I can't remember what team jersey he had on.

samram
05-04-2005, 08:07 PM
At the beginning of Mr. Baseball they show Big Hurt. However, I can't remember what team jersey he had on.

I'm pretty sure it's the Yankees because that was Tom Selleck's team. I remember the scene with Frank because Selleck says something to the effect that anyone can pull a homerun and then Frank starts hammering them out to right center. I hope he gets back to doing that when he returns.

OKCidiot
05-04-2005, 09:34 PM

Yep, that's ONLY THE LONELY, and it'll be out on DVD on June 14. Be sure to get your copy!

OKCidiot
05-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Something else I remember (didn't actually see it, but my friend Nicole told me about it and my mother also remembers seeing it) was an episode of the old soap opera Another World had some of its characters attend a White Sox game (I believe it was around 1988). From what I'd heard, although it wasn't actually filmed at Comiskey, the characters Cass, Nicole Love and Felicia went to a "Sox game" vs the Yankees (Nicole Love: "The Sox are always psyched when the Yankees come to town!"), and Felicia supposedly wears a White Sox visor (with that ever-present upswept hairdo!), asks "when's halftime?" and supposedly catches a home run ball!

I know the Soap Opera channel on cable occasionally runs old Another World reruns, and it would be a kick to have a copy of it for my collection! Anyone out there have one that they can burn onto a DVD-R for me? Feel free to email me and I would be eternally grateful!!!

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 09:50 PM
In the movie "A Christmas Story" which was set in NW Indiana (Hammond?), the father follows the Sox. The author of the book (Jean Shepherd) was an avid Sox fan.

:boston "Of course, he was referring to the Red Sox"

SOXintheBURGH
05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
British romantic comedy called "Love Actually" has a scene where an Englishman flies to the United States to pick up women. He goes to a bar in Wisconsin and in the bar where he's sitting theres a nice sized SOX poster behind him in full view. :gulp:

!Winning=Fung!
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Tupac wears a sox hat in the whole poetic justice movie, the one with janet jackson from the early 90's.

Parrothead
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM

did not see it:redface:

Parrothead
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the Yankees because that was Tom Selleck's team. I remember the scene with Frank because Selleck says something to the effect that anyone can pull a homerun and then Frank starts hammering them out to right center. I hope he gets back to doing that when he returns.

Detroit was the team.

ATXBMX
05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
In the movie Hardball, there's a scene where the guy is listening to the radio and it's previewing the cubs-sox game. They mention Jon Garland.

TDog
05-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Yep, that's ONLY THE LONELY, and it'll be out on DVD on June 14. Be sure to get your copy!

Maybe along with the first date on the Sox infield (and an old man playing Nancy Faust's organ:mad:) producer John Hughes will supply a commentary that will include an apology for the Ferris Bueller trip to Wrigley, which some people around here refuse to accept or forgive. Look, if I can forgive the organ thing, please cut some slack to a successful Sox fan facing production schedules and costs.

Actually, I thought this thread would just be the same one that gets rehashed every couple of months, but this is great news.

And by the way, there is a Cubs logo in Kevin Kostner's van in "Field of Dreams."

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 01:01 AM

You have to understand the movie business. People generally know about Wrigley field and the cute little red "C." You want to appeal to people as much as possible. It's high stakes stuff, there's a lot of money on the line. A movie maker is usually gonna go with his checkbook over his heart.

popilius
05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
The was a scene shot at Comiskey Park in 2000 in The Ladies Man with Tim Meadows. . .

Also, I know it's not a movie, but in the popular MTV video "Dre Day" with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre wears a Sox hat and even points to it in the video and says something about "this White Sox hat."

:gulp:

DumpJerry
05-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Wasn't that the topic of Kruk's rant about our attendance?

FRANK FORT
05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Don't give me the "Field of Dreams" garbage. In movie which is supposed to feature the Sox, there are numerous Cubs references. Why does Costner feel the need to inform Joe Jackson that "even Wrigley Field has lights", when Jackson was well out of the game when Old Comiskey had it's first night game.

Uncle_Patrick
05-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Also, I know it's not a movie, but in the popular MTV video "Dre Day" with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog, Dr. Dre wears a Sox hat and even points to it in the video and says something about "this White Sox hat."

That's where the Sox were trying to get some of that gangsta money that our friend from the "Whiney Sux Stinks" blog was telling us about! It's all true!

TDog
05-05-2005, 11:11 AM
... Why does Costner feel the need to inform Joe Jackson that "even Wrigley Field has lights", when Jackson was well out of the game when Old Comiskey had it's first night game.

That was straight out of W.P. Kinsella's novel, "Shoeless Joe." In the book, when Jackson asks what's the deal with the lights that make it harder to see the ball, Ray says all the parks have lights now, "except for Wrigley Field." By the time the movie was in production, night baseball had come to Wrigley Field. Jackson reacts by complaining about the greed of the owners, which is the point of the exchange and important to Jackson's character. Of course, for Ray, lights in Wrigley still would have been a novelty.

That would be my answer to your question.

"Shoeless Joe" also had a character who claimed to be the oldest living Chicago Cub. You might want to complain about that as well.

fquaye149
05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
The was a scene shot at Comiskey Park in 2000 in The Ladies Man with Tim Meadows. . .

The song F. Wit Dre Day is basically about how he hates Eazy-E. As you have probably seen from the picture of Eazy with his guns, Eazy often wore a White Sox hat (as did Dre).

The Sox hat line is actually a rather violent threat to Eazy-E:

Spot him, got him, as I pulls out my strap
Got my chrome to the side of his White Sox hat

says Dr. Dre.

Dang

FRANK FORT
05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
To all the people who feel this thread is just a re-hash of another thread, or just "complaining", my response is "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?" I'm not sorry I don't have every past thread memorized. I'm also not sorry for so-called "complaning". My response to you TDOG, who as a WSI PERSONALITY, hasn't come to realize that 90% of what's written on this web site is "complaining" in one way or another, is if you don't like the topic then simply move on till you find one you like. The snobbery around here is the only thing that sucks. I think we could all do without some of the attitude.

DumpJerry
05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
To all the people who feel this thread is just a re-hash of another thread, or just "complaining", my response is "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?" I'm not sorry I don't have every past thread memorized. I'm also not sorry for so-called "complaning". My response to you TDOG, who as a WSI PERSONALITY, hasn't come to realize that 90% of what's written on this web site is "complaining" in one way or another, is if you don't like the topic then simply move on till you find one you like. The snobbery around here is the only thing that sucks. I think we could all do without some of the attitude.
Ok, everyone go back to your corners and take a deep breath........

LongLiveFisk
05-05-2005, 01:19 PM
And by the way, there is a Cubs logo in Kevin Kostner's van in "Field of Dreams."

My comment had to do with the fact that I didn't see any of the players wearing Cubs uniforms. Of course I haven't seen the movie for a while so I could be wrong.

But, if not.....
:bandance:

Mark
05-05-2005, 03:38 PM
There a reference to the White Sox in the script of a Woody Allen movie from the early 1980s, I think it was A Mid-Summer Night's Sex Comedy.

I want Mags back
05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Was Hughes a Red wings fan. That always pisses me off When I see Ferris friend wearing that jersey:angry:

DumpJerry
05-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Hughes was from the North Shore (I think Wilmette). Obviously, he was one of the North Shore's brighter products since he did not go lockstep with the Flubs like most of them (Bill Murray) did.............

Corlose 15
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
In "Only the Lonely" John Candy and that one chick from Breakfast Club have a picnic at Comiskey Park for their first date.

In my best friend's wedding, I'm pretty sure that Cameron Diaz's character's dad owns the Sox.

In "The Princess Bride" there's a 83 Sox hat hanging on the door of the boys room I believe.

Corlose 15
05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
In the movie Hardball, there's a scene where the guy is listening to the radio and it's previewing the cubs-sox game. They mention Jon Garland.

Yeah and that dip**** Keanu Reaves takes a bunch of kids from the projects to "Wrigley Field"(Tiger Stadium) to see Sammy Sosa. I almost puked in the theater when I saw that.:angry: :angry: :angry:

JUribe1989
05-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah and that dip**** Keanu Reaves takes a bunch of kids from the projects to "Wrigley Field"(Tiger Stadium) to see Sammy Sosa. I almost puked in the theater when I saw that.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah, I have never understood why that was Tiger Stadium. Someone want to explain?

gobears1987
05-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I have never understood why that was Tiger Stadium. Someone want to explain?
Simple, the movie was filmed a couple of years ago shortly after Comerica Park opened. Tiger stadium is still standing so there were no scheduling conflicts there. MLB didn't sanction "Hardball." I believe that is another reason why no current fields were used. That is also why Shammy SoSo doesn't have a Flubs logo on his warm up jacket.

Speaking of "Field of Dreams." There is a scene towards the beginning a few minutes before Shoeless appears. A baseball game is on TV. The team he is watching is obviously the Sox. They are wearing their uniforms that they had right before going back to black. It was the jersey that they wore with the hat in JUribe1989's sig. I want to know who the 2 players they show on the mound visit are. I guessed that the catcher has to be Fisk, but who is the pitcher? I know he's a lefty as the mention he's a southpaw. I know it's not Alvarez since he came about a year after the movie was made. WHo was that pitcher?

TDog
05-06-2005, 01:35 AM

I read the thread because the subject is close to my heart, mostly because "Only the Lonely" is one of my favorite movies. I met John Candy when he was filming "Spaceballs," and he said he was excited about the part written for him in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." But I'll always remember him watching the fireworks on the infield of Old Comiskey.

I hope I don't exude snobbery on the topic. Honestly, I got excited when I saw an early '80s White Sox pennant in one of the scenes on the latest SCTV DVD release. But I get a little tired of people complaining about Ferris Bueller's day off at the wrong park or any reference to Wrigley in "Field of Dreams."

Hughes' "Only the Lonely" should be apology enough for the Ferris Bueller Wrigley thing, if anyone believes they need one.

Mohoney
05-06-2005, 02:08 AM
In the movie "A Christmas Story" which was set in NW Indiana (Hammond?), the father follows the Sox. The author of the book (Jean Shepherd) was an avid Sox fan.

The Sox traded Bullfrog!