PDA

View Full Version : Everett when Thomas comes back

lowesox
05-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I know a lot of you think that when Frank comes back from his injury our lineup will be that much better, but I'm not so sure. It seems that Everett is one of those guys that always gets the job done. He's also, clearly, loaded with intensity. I consider him to be a vital part of our lineup right now.

Is anybody else concerned that putting Thomas at DH and Everett on the bench will actually be a step backwards from both a hitting and chemistry standpoint?

kobo
05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Why does Everett have to be on the bench? I would think that if Dye is still struggling Ozzie will bench him and stick Everett in right.

skobabe8
05-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Why does Everett have to be on the bench? I would think that if Dye is still struggling Ozzie will bench him and stick Everett in right.

Thats what i assumed, too.

wildcat
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
On the train ride home from the game last night, we were trying to predict which threads would appear today and my first guess was "What to do with Everett when Frank returns." :smile:

I'd hate to lose Everett in the lineup right now. He's been stepping up when it counted, which is especially important with Konerko struggling. But I still think it's too early to have this discussion. Sure, Dye is slumping right now, but maybe that changes before Frank gets back. Ozzie's a creative manager--he'll figure out a way to capitalize on the strengths of the team, and right now Everett's rbi ability one of the big strengths.

tstrike2000
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I know a lot of you think that when Frank comes back from his injury our lineup will be that much better, but I'm not so sure. It seems that Everett is one of those guys that always gets the job done. He's also, clearly, loaded with intensity. I consider him to be a vital part of our lineup right now.

Is anybody else concerned that putting Thomas at DH and Everett on the bench will actually be a step backwards from both a hitting and chemistry standpoint?

You have to stick with your big rbi guy. Dye has been the odd man out in this first month of the season. The biggest difference is Ozzie will go with his best lineup, unlike General Disarray. I think the pro's of Everett's offense will have to go over his cons in right field.

32nd&Wallace
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
My idea - Have Everett take over for Podsenik, Roward, Dye, Frank once a week. For example, Monday Pods sits on the bench, Everett plays LF, Tuesday Roward bench, Everett, center; Wed, Dye, Everett, RF, Thu, Frank bench, Everett, DH, Fri, Everett, bench, then start it over again.....

munchman33
05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
My idea - Have Everett take over for Podsenik, Roward, Dye, Frank once a week. For example, Monday Pods sits on the bench, Everett plays LF, Tuesday Roward bench, Everett, center; Wed, Dye, Everett, RF, Thu, Frank bench, Everett, DH, Fri, Everett, bench, then start it over again.....

That's what I thought would happen too. I'd also like to see Everett get a chance at first base, to spell Paulie once in a while.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Everett should not play any OF position other than left. Based on his 3-year splits, Everett should not bat against LHP. Here's how you do the rotation:

Against RHP that give Frank trouble: DH Everett, RF Dye, CF Rowand, LF Pods.

Against RHP that Frank dominates: DH Frank, RF Dye, CF Rowand, LF Pods
OR DH Frank, RF Rowand, CF Pods, LF Everett

Against LHP: DH Frank, RF Dye, CF Rowand, LF Pods

One more consideration: Based on his 3-year splits, Frank always should play at home (1.030 OPS at home, .793 OPS on the road).

MIgrenade
05-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Pods has to be in the lineup everyday he can be. The whole offense is based on him. Everett gets RBI opportunities because of Pods and Iguchi screwing with pitchers. Remember that Frank is now coming back for a month so we will see where Carl stands by then.

DickAllen72
05-04-2005, 05:36 PM

Too bad Frank probably won't be able to play 1B much anymore. It would be awesome to leave Carl at DH and let Frank replace Konerko in the lineup.

havelj
05-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Everett should not play any OF position other than left. Based on his 3-year splits, Everett should not bat against LHP. Here's how you do the rotation:

One more consideration: Based on his 3-year splits, Frank always should play at home (1.030 OPS at home, .793 OPS on the road).

AMEN - this is it.

zach074
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't think we will have to deal with this situation for a while, I don't think Frank will be back for a while.

gobears1987
05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't think we will have to deal with this situation for a while, I don't think Frank will be back for a while.
Sadly you are right here.:(:

samram
05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
That's what I thought would happen too. I'd also like to see Everett get a chance at first base, to spell Paulie once in a while.

Um, no. No Everett in CF, no Everett at 1B, and he should only be used sparingly in RF (against a tough righty). He's a butcher and this team can't give runs away with bad defense. Frank's being back in the lineup will make up for the offense lost with Everett on the bench. I'm getting a little tired of Dye's act at the plate too, but he's the best option on this team to play RF everyday.

Hondo
05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Now we stand as fans of a team that has the best record in baseball and the owner's of a game-leading streak that surpasses the '55 Brooklyn Dodgers.

When Frank returns and assuming he has the pop in his bat he had last year (one-armed homer v. Twins) how does this team respond?

What happens w/ team chemistry?

What does Crazy Carl's role become? (A benching of Dye and putting Everett in the field?)

List prognostications here-

MRKARNO
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Thomas comes back and the Sox lose a few games even though Thomas doesnt contribute to the loss, but everyone blames him for losing, and then the Sox take off again behind his hitting and the continued strong pitching.

NSSoxFan
05-04-2005, 11:50 PM
You put the best hitter in White Sox history in the line-up and you platoon Crazy and Dye.

LuvSox
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
What about Frank at first, a benching of Konerko and the offense finally gets going.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Thomas's return won't affect the pitching, our key.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 11:52 PM
:cleo I predict at least two of these same threads every day until Thomas returns.

balke
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
What about Frank at first, a benching of Konerko and the offense finally gets going.

Dream scenario, I just don't think Frank will ever play 1st again. :(:

ATXBMX
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Team chemistry won't change as he's already with the team, and the team is still going strong.

NSSoxFan
05-04-2005, 11:54 PM

Putting Frank in the field is an injury waiting to happen.

chisoxfanatic
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM

Agreed. The first thing I could see happening is Frank getting a joint jammed while trying to get someone out while he [Frank] slidies into the base. His days on the field are gone, and that's not an issue.

Konerko has done a decent job out there fielding, so he should stay out there.

If Frank is "eased" into playing, I think the chemistry won't take a "hit" whatsoever.

Hondo
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
:cleo I predict at least two of these same threads every day until Thomas returns.

Lo siento ( I'm sorry)

I just did a quick scan of threads to see if I was repeating.

My thought. Thomas comes back and whether his bat shows up or not he provides a solid veteran presence and makes this team play better than they already have.

I also think Thomas has a 20 HR, 80 RBI, and a sick .OBP when he comes back and it all just gels.

MINFAN1
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
What about Frank at first, a benching of Konerko and the offense finally gets going.Paulie has been struggling with his hitting, but his defense has really helped this team. If Frank comes back at first base, and tries even half of what Konerko does there he would be back on the DL in a heartbeat.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2005, 12:05 AM
If he's good, we'll be much better. If he's bad, we're the same. Other than that, his presence isn't going to "harm" the chemistry one iota if that's what anyone in this town is even remotely hinting at.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 12:06 AM
What does Crazy Carl's role become? (A benching of Dye and putting Everett in the field?)

Dye actually decided to wake up and Crazy has been our most consistant run producer. It's Paul Konerko that shouldn't have a guaranteed spot.

LuvSox
05-05-2005, 12:14 AM

Good point, but Konerko's hitting is just plain, well, North Side.

ChicagoHoosier
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Isn't this a great dilemma to have? If Dye starts sticking it like he has the last couple games, and Crazy continues his pace, then you've got so many combinations to use in any given game/matchup, it blows my mind!

SOXfnNlansing
05-05-2005, 12:33 AM
I think Frank will get along quite nicely with the new team this season. He can only make us better.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Dye actually decided to wake up and Crazy has been our most consistant run producer. It's Paul Konerko that shouldn't have a guaranteed spot.Nobody should have a guaranteed spot. But if you think just because someone is struggling now that he's also going to be struggling in a month, you haven't been paying attention. It was only a few days ago that everyone wanted to trade Dye for a bag of balls. Before that it was Crede. Next week it will be someone else. It's rare that everyone is hitting on all cylinders at the same time.

harwar
05-05-2005, 09:59 AM
It was only a few days ago that everyone wanted to trade Dye for a bag of balls. Before that it was Crede. Next week it will be someone else.

"the mob is very fickle brother" .. from the movie Gladiator..
While we are watching the rise and fall of the evil empire to the east a new religion is being born in the heartland.
White sox baseball .. "win or die trying".
To the heathen philadelphia twins on baseball tonight i say,let em eat cheessteak.

DickAllen72
05-05-2005, 05:31 PM

If only Frank's foot were healthy enough, that would positively be the best move.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Nobody should have a guaranteed spot. But if you think just because someone is struggling now that he's also going to be struggling in a month, you haven't been paying attention. It was only a few days ago that everyone wanted to trade Dye for a bag of balls. Before that it was Crede. Next week it will be someone else. It's rare that everyone is hitting on all cylinders at the same time.

First off, I have been paying attention thank you.

Second, hopefully you have been playing attention to Paulies splits and realize he is prone to slumps of entire halfs...

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Second, hopefully you have been playing attention to Paulies splits and realize he is prone to slumps of entire halfs...Really? Well, we all know he had a pretty sucky 2003. But other than that, when has he had a slump that lasted an entire half?

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Really? Well, we all know he had a pretty sucky 2003. But other than that, when has he had a slump that lasted an entire half?

From the Paulie contract post:

Originall posted by Randar 68

Pre All-Star: .328-20-71 w/ a .950 OPS
Post All-Star: .270-7-33 w/ a .734 OPS

Pre All-Star: .197-5-22 w/ a .567OPS
Post All-Star: .275-13-43 w/ a .853 OPS

Pre All-Star: .297-22-59 w/ a .951 OPS
Post All-Star: .258-19-58 w/ a .835 OPS

2005 (so-far)
Pre All-Star: .194-7-17 w/ a .740 OPS

Keep in mind this is for a 1st baseman making 8 million dollars. He's well on his way to his 3rd absolutely catastrophic half-season in the last 4 years. He's had 2 spectacular halves, and the rest are generally pretty damned mediocre numbers for a 1st baseman.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
From the Paulie contract post:Maybe you should look a little deeper:

That .270 post A/S 2002 broke down as follows:
July: .215
Aug: .333
Sept: .256

So it wasn't a half-season slump. It was the month of July. And IIRC, he was playing with a hairline fracture in his foot in Sept. that year.

2003 he pretty much stunk it up all year, as I already said, but in fact he did hit above .300 in both July and August.

That .258 post A/S 2004 broke down as follows:
July: .296
Aug: .232
Sept: .309

Again, looks more like a one month slump to me.

SoxxoS
05-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe you should look a little deeper:

That .270 post A/S 2002 broke down as follows:
July: .215
Aug: .333
Sept: .256

So it wasn't a half-season slump. It was the month of July. And IIRC, he was playing with a hairline fracture in his foot in Sept. that year.

2003 he pretty much stunk it up all year, as I already said, but in fact he did hit above .300 in both July and August.

That .258 post A/S 2004 broke down as follows:
July: .296
Aug: .232
Sept: .309

Again, looks more like a one month slump to me.

All I know are the final numbers. THat just seems like making excuses for major parts of the season.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 10:36 PM
All I know are the final numbers. THat just seems like making excuses for major parts of the season. Now you know the real numbers.

lowesox
05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I think Frank will get along quite nicely with the new team this season. He can only make us better.

I think all the wins this season may have clouded some of our judgements. We're talking about Frank Thomas here. Don't get me wrong, I love Frank, but this is a guy who can be a giant baby. It seems like he's had feuds with half the players/managers in the big leagues. Why would anybody think that he wouldn't affect the chemistry? I can think of very few players in the majors who have a stronger capability of upsetting a team's dynamic than Frank.

Randar68
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I think all the wins this season may have clouded some of our judgements. We're talking about Frank Thomas here. Don't get me wrong, I love Frank, but this is a guy who can be a giant baby. It seems like he's had feuds with half the players/managers in the big leagues. Why would anybody think that he wouldn't affect the chemistry? I can think of very few players in the majors who have a stronger capability of upsetting a team's dynamic than Frank.

Have you ever even been in the clubhouse to be able to say this kind of horsecrap?

Frank is pretty damn quiet and keeps to himself for the most part. What a CANCER!

:whoflungpoo

Jjav829
05-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Have you ever even been in the clubhouse to be able to say this kind of horsecrap?

Frank is pretty damn quiet and keeps to himself for the most part. What a CANCER!

:whoflungpoo

It's actually funny because Frank has been traveling with the team, meaning that he's been in the clubhouse during the recent success. But yet he's still a clubhouse cancer? So there's only one logical conclusion here. He has a switch. It's a "clubhouse cancer" switch. When he's actually playing and in the lineup, he flips it on. When he's injured or not playing, he turns it off. Once he comes back from the injury that switch is going to be flipped on and then we're screwed...:D: :D:

Chrisaway
05-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I say when Frank comes back we just stick Carl in right til Dye starts hitting his weight. Or until Carl cools down. Dye hasnt really impressed me with his glovework so far this year so Crazy Carl cant be THAT much of a downgrade.

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I say when Frank comes back we just stick Carl in right til Dye starts hitting his weight. Or until Carl cools down. Dye hasnt really impressed me with his glovework so far this year so Crazy Carl cant be THAT much of a downgrade.

You are selectively remembering a few bad plays, IMO. He has been quite solid in RF actually and has a gun for an arm. Now that he is starting to hit a bit (hopefully that continues), Ozzie has a tough decision to make.

I think the best option is the platoon system someone mentioned before, with Carl playing LF semi-regularly and shifting the other three guys as necessary to give people a day off. Of course if PK continues to stink it up big time, the issue may become can Carl play 1B as I agree that Frank should not be playing the field on any kind of regular basis if at all. Yes, I realize Carl is not an ideal 1B candidate, but historically corner OF's have made the switch and I see no reason to think he couldn't do it too.

However, if Frank is healthy enough to hit like he has historically, they have to play him almost every day at DH as he is the best bat on the team and a top 3 slots of Pods, Iguchi and Frank is going to regularly lead to 2 men being on for the 4-5-6 guys in the first inning and that will go a LONG way toward relieving some of the team's offensive woes

booter14
05-06-2005, 02:57 PM
When Frank comes back, I heard Everett will be going on a dinosaur dig in North Dakota.

Ol' No. 2
05-06-2005, 03:07 PM
You are selectively remembering a few bad plays, IMO. He has been quite solid in RF actually and has a gun for an arm. Now that he is starting to hit a bit (hopefully that continues), Ozzie has a tough decision to make.

I think the best option is the platoon system someone mentioned before, with Carl playing LF semi-regularly and shifting the other three guys as necessary to give people a day off. Of course if PK continues to stink it up big time, the issue may become can Carl play 1B as I agree that Frank should not be playing the field on any kind of regular basis if at all. Yes, I realize Carl is not an ideal 1B candidate, but historically corner OF's have made the switch and I see no reason to think he couldn't do it too.

However, if Frank is healthy enough to hit like he has historically, they have to play him almost every day at DH as he is the best bat on the team and a top 3 slots of Pods, Iguchi and Frank is going to regularly lead to 2 men being on for the 4-5-6 guys in the first inning and that will go a LONG way toward relieving some of the team's offensive woesDye has always been a solid defender. I think his miscues were a result of taking his offensive struggles to the field with him. It's easy to say that shouldn't happen, but ballplayers are human, and it's unavoidable.

I'd love to see Big Frank play every day, but I'm very nervous about that. He's not getting any younger, and I'd rather be conservative and have him around for the end of the season. Besides, even if the pain in his ankle is diminished, it will still be there, and he'll probably need a couple of days off a week to recuperate, so Everett will still get plenty of AB at DH. Maybe a platoon system will work out, but any plan I can come up with has Everett playing all over the place and other players bouncing in and out. I'd rather not have that much inconsistency in the lineup.

I have no idea how this is going to work out. I doubt Ozzie knows yet how he's going to manage it. There are just too many unknowns. It may be one of those things that you have to just let play out and see what works.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2005, 04:07 PM
However, if Frank is healthy enough to hit like he has historically, they have to play him almost every day at DH as he is the best bat on the team and a top 3 slots of Pods, Iguchi and Frank is going to regularly lead to 2 men being on for the 4-5-6 guys in the first inning and that will go a LONG way toward relieving some of the team's offensive woes

Even if Frank isn't 100% of what he was in 2004, opposing pitchers often will face this dilemma in the first inning:

No outs, Pods at third (steal), Gooch at first, Frank at the plate: "Do I pitch Frank a fastball, or do I throw junk?"

If he throws Frank a fastball, he either pops out (no runs), flies out (sac fly, Pods scores), singles (Pods scores, Gooch at 2nd or 3rd, no outs), doubles (Pods and Gooch score, no outs) or hits a three-run homer.

If he throws Frank junk, Frank walks and the bases are loaded for Everett, Konerko or Dye with no outs. Even a GIDP scores a run!

This often will occur in the first inning, and many other innings in many others games as well.

SoxxoS
05-06-2005, 04:18 PM
If he throws Frank junk, Frank walks and the bases are loaded for Everett, Konerko or Dye with no outs. Even a GIDP scores a run!

:walnuts

"You called"

voodoochile
05-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Dye has always been a solid defender. I think his miscues were a result of taking his offensive struggles to the field with him. It's easy to say that shouldn't happen, but ballplayers are human, and it's unavoidable.

I'd love to see Big Frank play every day, but I'm very nervous about that. He's not getting any younger, and I'd rather be conservative and have him around for the end of the season. Besides, even if the pain in his ankle is diminished, it will still be there, and he'll probably need a couple of days off a week to recuperate, so Everett will still get plenty of AB at DH. Maybe a platoon system will work out, but any plan I can come up with has Everett playing all over the place and other players bouncing in and out. I'd rather not have that much inconsistency in the lineup.

I have no idea how this is going to work out. I doubt Ozzie knows yet how he's going to manage it. There are just too many unknowns. It may be one of those things that you have to just let play out and see what works.

I agree that the one thing I don't like is the constant moving of players around the field and the lineup too. Maybe they can just go with a three way platoon of Dye, Konerko and Frank. With Everett seeing regluar time at all three slots.

Not that I'm complaining about Pods great start, but he is really messing with my dream lineup of Iguchi, Carl, Frank, Walnuts, Dye, Rowand, AJ, Crede, Uribe.

I would just drool to see Carl batting second between Iguchi and Frank...

Chrisaway
05-06-2005, 04:58 PM
When Frank comes back, I heard Everett will be going on a dinosaur dig in North Dakota.Really? I heard he was taking a trip to the moon.:redneck

HawkISox
05-25-2005, 02:37 PM
You can't keep both...Carl can't play OF really at this point...I guess they could stick him in right.

My guess is some sort of package trade is coming involving one of the following: Carl, Timo, Vizcaino, or Dye.

Thoughts?

California Sox
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Depth. They're keeping Carl and Frank.

Flight #24
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
You can't keep both...Carl can't play OF really at this point...I guess they could stick him in right.

My guess is some sort of package trade is coming involving one of the following: Carl, Timo, Vizcaino, or Dye.

Thoughts?
They'll keep both. Carl will fill in occasionally for Frank, Dye, Podsednik, Rowand, getting probably 2-4 starts/week at varying positions. And he'll also be around in case of injury to a starter. Highly unlikely they trade him without getting a good bat in return. Especially after what happened last year they won't deal away quality depth..

mantis1212
05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Depth. They're keeping Carl and Frank.

Exactly- the hardest hit a great team takes is usually because of injuries. We now have insurance against a Carl injury, or a Dye injury, or another Frank injury. Platooning Carl and Dye and being prepared for an injury sounds good to me.

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2005, 02:48 PM
now we will also have a great switch hitting power hitter to pinch hit when needed. Plus we had this issue with konerko and frank splitting time at first, it worked out in the end

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Obviously Frank if you have to pick. But we are dangerously thin, we need them both. Right now if Dye or Everett or Konerko were out of the line for a while we'd be begging for Frank's return.

Jjav829
05-25-2005, 03:21 PM
You can't keep both...

Why not? It's not like our offense is so great that we can just ship out Everett without worry. Both of them will be here. Frank will start at DH and Everett will head to the bench. My only worry is that Ozzie is going to sit players who are going well just to get Everett constant at-bats. We saw this over the weekend when Ozzie had to play Everett Saturday just because he didn't want Everett going 3 days without starting. If he's that concerned about Everett sitting 3 days, we might have some problems. Still, there's no guarantee as to how effective Frank will be when he returns. Everett needs to stay as insurance.

mikehuff
05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
We saw this over the weekend when Ozzie had to play Everett Saturday just because he didn't want Everett going 3 days without starting.
Carl had a 2 RBI hit that day. What was wrong with that?

Jjav829
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Carl had a 2 RBI hit that day. What was wrong with that?

Uhh, nothing. Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? My point was that Ozzie feels that Everett can't sit for 3 straight days. That means that we're not likely to see Pods, Rowand, Dye and Frank all play together for 3 straight games because Ozzie feels Everett can't sit for 3 days. That could prove to be a problem if all 4 of these guys are playing well yet Ozzie feels the need to sit one of them so that Everett doesn't sit for 3 days. Pods and Rowand are both guys who should only sit maybe once every 2 weeks. That means Everett's at-bats will come at the expense of Dye and Thomas. If Dye continues to hit like he has in May, I'd rather see him in the lineup than Everett. And if Frank is near playing like normal Frank, he needs to be in the lineup every day. I can see a lot of complaining coming when Frank sits for Everett.

mikehuff
05-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Uhh, nothing. Where did I say there was anything wrong with it?
It's the use of the word "had" as in "Ozzie had to put Carl in..."
Stuff like that is tough to pick up in text.

Anyway, I would welcome any problem caused by Dye, Thomas, Konerko and Gload all hitting well at the same time.
The good thing is that he can ride the hot hand for a while and switch it up occasionally too. Keeping a hot bat in the lineup all season will get us somewhere. Let's just hope they don't all slump at once.

hose
05-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Carl Everett would be the George Castanza's exact opposite for 2005

Everett vs.
left handers : .370 ave .380 obp .522 slg .902 ops 1 hr 14 rbi
right handers: .184 ave .265 obp .367 slg .633 ops 5 hr 16 rbi

White Sox Josh
05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I would rather have Dye in the lineup because he had been hitting the ball hard lately but right at fielders. However if Everett is hitting well again (he ain't right now) than everett should be in the lineup. Right now though, I say put Dye in and see how he does with Big Frank back.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:33 PM
I would rather have Dye in the lineup because he had been hitting the ball hard lately but right at fielders. However if Everett is hitting well again (he ain't right now) than everett should be in the lineup. Right now though, I say put Dye in and see how he does with Big Frank back.

Josh, please take a few minutes to scan the board for similar threads before starting one of your own. People don't want to read two or three different threads about the same thing.

Jurr
05-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Josh, please take a few minutes to scan the board for similar threads before starting one of your own. People don't want to read two or three different threads about the same thing.
yeah...if the two Konerko threads were merged, we'd have 7 tomatoes going.

balke
05-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Everett really hasn't been the guy who started the season for the Sox lately. Even though he occasionally looks like a fool out in RF, you gotta use Dye. I'd say alternating Frank/Everett/Dye/Konerko between RF, DH, and 1B is what's going to need to happen. Let one of them rest occasionally. Dye should get the majority of RF time. Everett should get the majority of bench time, unless he's showing he can compete in RF.

Intensity or not, Everett is not near the hitter Frank Thomas is. And if you say "I don't know Frank's been injured blah blah" Everett's been injured the past couple years as well, and hasn't put up any #'s over a 2 month span that were worth much of anything. Frank hit 42 HR's in his last healthy season, and it was the first time he failed to have a .400 OBP. There's no question to me, the only toss up now is Dye or Everett. Anything that happens to this team because of Frank will be positive.