PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement List

doublem23
05-04-2005, 02:09 AM
According the Game Notes at the bottom of the AP recap posted at ESPN, it mentions the Sox recalled Jamie Burke from Charlotte and placed Willie Harris on something called the bereavement list. What is that? A fancy term for waivers? Is he hurt?

:dunno:

SomebodyToldMe
05-04-2005, 02:13 AM
According to m-w.com:

the state or fact of being bereaved especially: the loss of a loved one by death

Bereave is to take away, deprive of something. So I'm gonna go with a death in the family as my best guess.

cbrownson13
05-04-2005, 02:15 AM
According to m-w.com:

the state or fact of being bereaved especially: the loss of a loved one by death

Bereave is to take away, deprive of something. So I'm gonna go with a death in the family as my best guess.

Right on. The bereavement list is for players to miss just a few games because of a death in the family. Willie should be back by the weekend.

doublem23
05-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Right on. The bereavement list is for players to miss just a few games because of a death in the family. Willie should be back by the weekend.

All right... I never heard of that. How does that work? Especially for Burke, how does he get back to AAA without having to clear waivers?

anewman35
05-04-2005, 07:08 AM
All right... I never heard of that. How does that work? Especially for Burke, how does he get back to AAA without having to clear waivers?

I'm not really sure how it works for Burke, but it's a fairly new list. Just a year or two old.

downstairs
05-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Most "real" jobs have that as well. I work on my own now, but when I had a union job way back in the day "Bereavement" was different than calling in sick, etc.

ramorgan1
05-04-2005, 08:30 AM
They said Burke was really going to be taking Gload's spot while he's on the DL...

i love burke!! so sad he wasn't already on the roster.

fledgedrallycap
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
My thoughts go to Willie, it sounds like something serious based on verbage from Kenny and Ozzie.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
They said Burke was really going to be taking Gload's spot while he's on the DL...

i love burke!! so sad he wasn't already on the roster.I'd guess when Willie returns, Lopez will get sent back down. Burke is out of options, and would have to clear waivers to be sent down. But Burke is a better fit than Gload anyway, IMO. He will hit for better average, but with less power, but the clincher is that he can play more positions in the field.