PDA

View Full Version : Wls 890am

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Just a heads up for tommorow. The game will be on WLS 890 AM. I guess Sox baseball won't rock hard on the Zone.

kcsportscaster
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Just a heads up for tommorow. The game will be on WLS 890 AM. I guess Sox baseball won't rock hard on the Zone.

YES!!!! I think WLS is one of those 50k watt stations that can be heard in so many States at night, including Alabama and Florida. Imagine if either WLS or WBBM 780 were actually the Sox longtime flagship. They could have built a longtime vast national fan base similar to what the Cardinals have done through the years through KMOX 1120, which I can hear regularly in my area at night.

The Sox deserve better treatment that they have gotten over the years, especially from the Chicago media, and having a station with a 50k watt blowtorch signal as their flagship would definitely help, as well as a little more respect from WGN-TV, INCLUDING A VAST INCREASE IN THEIR SOX TELECAST SCHEDULE!!!!

elrod
05-03-2005, 11:38 PM
YES!!!! I think WLS is one of those 50k watt stations that can be heard in so many States at night, including Alabama and Florida. Imagine if either WLS or WBBM 780 were actually the Sox longtime flagship. They could have built a longtime vast national fan base similar to what the Cardinals have done through the years through KMOX 1120, which I can hear regularly in my area at night.

The Sox deserve better treatment that they have gotten over the years, especially from the Chicago media, and having a station with a 50k watt blowtorch signal as their flagship would definitely help, as well as a little more respect from WGN-TV, INCLUDING A VAST INCREASE IN THEIR SOX TELECAST SCHEDULE!!!!

Did you go to the Loxley Strawberry Festival this year? I was down your way in early April. I can't believe you can get KMOX down in Baldwin County.

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Also, the TV version has moved to CSN + (CLTV on cable, not sure on DirecTV. They usually have it on 639, but they're still listing the Flub game)

Kogs35
05-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Also, the TV version has moved to CSN + (CLTV on cable, not sure on DirecTV. They usually have it on 639, but they're still listing the Flub game)

channel635 is where u can find the white sox game

kcsportscaster
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Did you go to the Loxley Strawberry Festival this year? I was down your way in early April. I can't believe you can get KMOX down in Baldwin County.

Actually, I didn't because I have to work Saturdays and Sundays as well as Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at WCOA Radio in Pensacola.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my area!!!! How many times have you been in lower Alabama?

MUsoxfan
05-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Wow. I would have been searching forever for the game as I attempt to listen to it at work. Thanks for the heads up

elrod
05-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Actually, I didn't because I have to work Saturdays and Sundays as well as Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at WCOA Radio in Pensacola.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my area!!!! How many times have you been in lower Alabama?

We go to Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan every Spring. Lots of people from Chicago, Ohio and Michigan go down there in the Spring.

Lots of hurricane damage everywhere, still. The last night we were there they got 11 inches of rain. Crazy.

I got to see Fort Morgan, finally. I'm a Civil War History PhD student so I'd been looking forward to seeing the Fort for a long time.

GiveMeSox
05-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Yeah WLS 890 has a clear channel rating. Which means they dont power down night (always 50k watts) and are always multi-directional. The game should be able to be heard by more people in the sourrounding states pretty easily (at night that is).

DrCrawdad
05-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Has WLS ever broadcast a Sox game before, or a Cubs game for that matter?

Wsoxmike59
05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Has WLS ever broadcast a Sox game before, or a Cubs game for that matter?

Just took a quick glance at the White Sox Encyclopedia and the answer to your question would be no.

I have no idea whether or not the Cubs ever aired over WLS.

white sox bill
05-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Maybe all of us who would benefit from WLS broadcasts should email then and tell them. But doesn't this violate contract w/espn radio 1000?

thepaulbowski
05-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Maybe all of us who would benefit from WLS broadcasts should email then and tell them. But doesn't this violate contract w/espn radio 1000?

I think the broadcastings rights to the Bulls playoff game takes priority over the White Sox regular season game.

tebman
05-04-2005, 07:12 AM

WLS and WMVP are both owned by the same company. Disney owns ABC (which owns WLS and WZZN) and ESPN (which owns WMVP). Their studios are down the hall from each other at 190 N. State Street. That's why they can shuffle the Sox games around.

WLS would be a terrific choice to carry the Sox because of its great signal at night, but the bosses there don't want to interrupt those valuable prerecorded out-of-town shows that air in the evening.

elrod
05-04-2005, 07:34 AM
What the heck kind of station is WLS anyway, with such a large bandwith? Is it one of those nutjob political scream-a-thon stations?

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 07:44 AM
What the heck kind of station is WLS anyway, with such a large bandwith? Is it one of those nutjob political scream-a-thon stations?

Umm, in a word . . . yes.

I thought AM 1000 was 50K watt and what used to be called clear channel (?) as well. Wasn't it?

downstairs
05-04-2005, 08:17 AM

Nah... they have the light-hearted political commentary from Mr. Limbaugh and Mr. Hannity. What would make you think that?

They have Roe Conn as well, who I like a lot (even though he's a Cubs fan).

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2005, 08:24 AM
If JR really wanted to build a national fan base, he would buy a 50K watt clear channel station like WLS and make it his Sox/Bulls flagship station. Quick, somebody e-mail Brooks....

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
If JR really wanted to build a national fan base, he would buy a 50K watt clear channel station like WLS and make it his Sox/Bulls flagship station. Quick, somebody e-mail Brooks....

Actually, JR should pressure Disney to swap the blowhard WLS 890 with WMVP 1000 programs. That way, the sports content would be on WLS 890, with the clear channel 50K watt signal, and the blowhards would be on the AM 1000. The blowhards don't need a 50K watt Chicago-based flamethrower, they already are on hundreds of stations throughout Middle America. (IIRC, the WLS transmitter is located just north of I-80 and east of LaGrange Road in Tinley Park, near Mokena.)

With such a swap, Mac, Jurko and Harry would have a "national" audience and Sox fans throughout the Midwest could hear Sox and Bulls broadcasts.... Also, as an all-sports station, they would be able to compete regionally with WSCR 670.

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 08:34 AM
They have Roe Conn as well, who I like a lot (even though he's a Cubs fan).

Whatever happened to Garry Meier (sp?)? Did he walk after his contract expired and not return?

michned
05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah WLS 890 has a clear channel rating. Which means they dont power down night (always 50k watts) and are always multi-directional. The game should be able to be heard by more people in the sourrounding states pretty easily (at night that is).

On cold winter nights, I have actually gotten WLS' signal in Tucson.

Ed

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
The Sox will not go to WLS, but the 50,000 clear channel wattage is why they could very well move to WSCR-AM (670). The 50,000-watt blowtorch is what we need to build any kind of Mid-America fan base. The Cubs do it with WGN-AM (720), and the Cardinals do it with KMOX-AM (1120).

tebman
05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
The Sox will not go to WLS, but the 50,000 clear channel wattage is why they could very well move to WSCR-AM (670). The 50,000-watt blowtorch is what we need to build any kind of Mid-America fan base. The Cubs do it with WGN-AM (720), and the Cardinals do it with KMOX-AM (1120).
You're probably right about WLS not taking Sox games. Radio bosses are so nervous about breaking existing formats that they're often reluctant or unable to even cover emergency news, let alone scheduling open-ended baseball games on a non-sports station. Horrors!

WSCR actually has a slightly stronger signal than WLS because of its dial position. It's a radio-propagation thing: stations at a lower frequency cover more ground with the same amount of power. WLS has always had a reputation as a stronger signal because they've always been louder -- the audio levels are higher, which punches through the noise. That's an adjustment that WSCR (or any other station) could easily make if they chose to.

But except for propeller-heads like me, the decision-makers aren't interested in that. The bottom line for the Sox will be which station offers the better deal. Hell, JR would have the games on CB if the contract terms were better.

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Hell, JR would have the games on CB if the contract terms were better.

Now that could be a funny, retro-70s thread . . .

tebman
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Whatever happened to Garry Meier (sp?)? Did he walk after his contract expired and not return?

Here's the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0503220029mar22,1,1981.story?coll=chi-business-hed

The short version is that his contract expired and he wanted more money than the station was willing to pay. I read that he was offered well over a million bucks a year but couldn't agree somehow. :?:

GiveMeSox
05-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Umm, in a word . . . yes.

I thought AM 1000 was 50K watt and what used to be called clear channel (?) as well. Wasn't it?

AM 1000 is 50k watt, like all AM stations, but only a few get "clear channel" ratings. AM 1000 is not one of them, AM670 and 890 are. ClearChannel means it retains its 50k watt power at night and remains multi-directional at night. AM1000 power down and night and becomes single directional (east i think).

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
AM 1000 is 50k watt, like all AM stations, but only a few get "clear channel" ratings. AM 1000 is not one of them, AM670 and 890 are. ClearChannel means it retains its 50k watt power at night and remains multi-directional at night. AM1000 power down and night and becomes single directional (east i think).

But didn't it used to be? For some reason I have a vague memory that when it had a disastrous stint as an all-talk station (late '70s or early '80s?) it was the lowest rated 50K watt clear channel station in America . . .

East would make sense, though, given that its transmitters are in Westmont . . .

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2005, 04:42 PM
But didn't it used to be? For some reason I have a vague memory that when it had a disastrous stint as an all-talk station (late '70s or early '80s?) it was the lowest rated 50K watt clear channel station in America . . .

East would make sense, though, given that its transmitters are in Westmont . . .Yes, when AM 1000 was still WCFL (Chicago Federation of Labor) they were 50K clear channel.

SOXfnNlansing
05-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Insider Programming Alert!
http://images.radcity.net/5149/991862.jpg The good news: The Bulls are in the playoffs, and the White Sox are white-hot.

The bad news: Wednesday, Friday, and maybe Sunday, they have games scheduled at the same time.

This puts our sister station, WMVP, in a difficult position. Which to carry, Bulls or White Sox? When you're in a difficult position, you can always count on family. Since WMVP *is* our sister station, they called on us.

Thus: Tonight, Friday night, and maybe Sunday, WLS proudly presents the team with the best record in baseball, the Chicago White Sox!

likeawarlord
05-04-2005, 06:09 PM
sweet, a radio station powerful enough for me to pick it up here in eastern iowa.

tebman
05-04-2005, 08:51 PM

East would make sense, though, given that its transmitters are in Westmont . . .

Yes, when AM 1000 was still WCFL (Chicago Federation of Labor) they were 50K clear channel.
Well, sort of. WMVP (originally WCFL) has been what used to be called a Class I-B station for about 60 years. KOMO in Seattle is also 50kW on 1000 kHz, and so WMVP kicks its signal to the east at sunset and KOMO does some north-south tweaking at sunset so that they try not to interfere with each other. "True" clear-channel stations were called Class I-A (WSCR, WGN, WBBM & WLS are all I-As), and other stations at least 750 miles in all directions on the same frequency have to sign off or reduce their power to light-bulb levels so the big battleship AM's have the frequency to themselves.

The WCFL transmitter was built in Westmont many years ago because it was waaaay out west of Chicago, and so when the sun went down the signal went east toward the city. Now that the population has sprawled westward it's difficult for WMVP to hit a lot of its audience after sunset. Hence we have the west-suburban Sox fan complaint of poor reception. It's possible for WMVP to move its transmitter further west, but that's a glacial process: FCC engineering studies, finding a new site, getting zoning approval, getting permission from existing stations on adjacent frequencies in several states and Canada, yada yada yada. A bonanza for FCC lawyers and technical consultants, years of applications, and tens of millions of dollars in expenses.

I don't see it happening anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, sort of. WMVP (originally WCFL) has been what used to be called a Class I-B station for about 60 years. KOMO in Seattle is also 50kW on 1000 kHz, and so WMVP kicks its signal to the east at sunset and KOMO does some north-south tweaking at sunset so that they try not to interfere with each other. "True" clear-channel stations were called Class I-A (WSCR, WGN, WBBM & WLS are all I-As), and other stations at least 750 miles in all directions on the same frequency have to sign off or reduce their power to light-bulb levels so the big battleship AM's have the frequency to themselves.

The WCFL transmitter was built in Westmont many years ago because it was waaaay out west of Chicago, and so when the sun went down the signal went east toward the city. Now that the population has sprawled westward it's difficult for WMVP to hit a lot of its audience after sunset. Hence we have the west-suburban Sox fan complaint of poor reception. It's possible for WMVP to move its transmitter further west, but that's a glacial process: FCC engineering studies, finding a new site, getting zoning approval, getting permission from existing stations on adjacent frequencies in several states and Canada, yada yada yada. A bonanza for FCC lawyers and technical consultants, years of applications, and tens of millions of dollars in expenses.

I don't see it happening anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tebman. More than most normal folk would want to know, but I ain't normal folk . . . :wink:

tebman
05-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Tebman. More than most normal folk would want to know, but I ain't normal folk . . . :wink:

That makes two of us! :D:

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Tonight, Friday night, and maybe Sunday, WLS proudly presents the team with the best record in baseball, the Chicago White Sox!
That makes me very happy. I was able to sit comfortably in my easy chair tonight with just a small portable radio on the end table next to me and enjoy the Sox game. Yeah, the signal faded out once in a while, but for the most part it was great.